PDA

View Full Version : Water Water Everywhere.........

wombat2u2004
01-03-2011, 05:43 PM
Have a gander at the floods here.
A couple of places I know.....Warwick, half way between my town and Brisbane (about 2 hours drive north). Wellington I worked at in the 1960's with a mining company.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/01/australian_flooding.html

robinh
01-03-2011, 05:49 PM
Very scary...stay safe!

Freedom
01-03-2011, 06:34 PM
Those photos are amazing. So sad for the families, business, farmers. And the lost crops impacts many more.

Loved seeing the 'roos being saved! So Wom, they are tame? That one man has 5 of them in his boat, and from what I can see, they aren't tied at all. That surprised me. "Man" is not a direct threat to them? (I know we destroy their habitat.)

The pics of the airport runways, the railway and the highways really tell alot.

Laura's Babies
01-03-2011, 07:31 PM
There has been crazy weather everywhere this year! The pictures are heartbreaking..

wombat2u2004
01-04-2011, 04:53 PM
Loved seeing the 'roos being saved! So Wom, they are tame? That one man has 5 of them in his boat, and from what I can see, they aren't tied at all. That surprised me. "Man" is not a direct threat to them? (I know we destroy their habitat.)

No, they're not tame. But I think they'd be pretty happy to be out of the water.

Freedom
01-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Probably in shock that they were in it!

Thank you.

wombat2u2004
01-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Probably in shock that they were in it!

Thank you.

Floods are not that bad really. Animals generally find somewhere safe or people have time to rescue them. Bushfires are our real problem. The amount of wild animals that die in fires is horrific, there is no escape for them. :(

Freedom
01-04-2011, 06:55 PM
I don't want to even think about that. I've had nightmares about fire since I can remember; no, nothing happened, just one of those things. I must the only Girl Scout in history who was never able to light a match. I was in my 20's when I finally did that!

And when I bought this house, I seriously wanted to replace the gas range w/ electric, I am so afraid of open flames.

Poor animals . . . .

wombat2u2004
01-05-2011, 03:08 AM
I don't want to even think about that. I've had nightmares about fire since I can remember; no, nothing happened, just one of those things. I must the only Girl Scout in history who was never able to light a match. I was in my 20's when I finally did that!

And when I bought this house, I seriously wanted to replace the gas range w/ electric, I am so afraid of open flames.

Poor animals . . . .

Hmmmmm.....so I guess a Flambe' dinner for two is out of the question then ??? :p

Karen
01-05-2011, 03:15 AM
Wom, can kangaroos and wallabies swim? You may notice that link if from our local paper, the Boston Globe, and when we saw that first photo we wondered whether the wallaby was just getting a good vantage point to see what direction to swim, or if they cannot swim, why didn't the photographer send a rescue crew for it?

wombat2u2004
01-05-2011, 03:36 AM
Wom, can kangaroos and wallabies swim? You may notice that link if from our local paper, the Boston Globe, and when we saw that first photo we wondered whether the wallaby was just getting a good vantage point to see what direction to swim, or if they cannot swim, why didn't the photographer send a rescue crew for it?

Oh yes, they are very good swimmers, both kangaroos and wallabies. In the water their legs act like any other creature, you know left right left right, but on land they can't use their legs like that.
I would suppose the reason why that guy never got a rescue crew for that wallaby, is that he probably made a decision that the wallaby was quite able to swim away to safety.
The guys in the boats usually pick them up when they can see the animals tired out or in distress, such as in fast moving water.
They also swim in the ocean, and now and again we hear of them taken by sharks.
Here's a link for you.............
http://www.kangaroo-protection-coalition.com/kangaroo-swim.html

Karen
01-05-2011, 05:12 PM
Thanks, we didn't know that! It's fun how much we can learn from each other on Pet Talk, isn't it?

carole
01-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Hey Wom how is it going over there my friend,we see the news and it just looks terrible, do you know if the gold coast and sunshine coast is flooded as well, so many holiday makers going over there just now, sadly i am not one of them.

Here's hoping matey that the rains stops and the sun shines, fingers and all paws crossed here, stay safe Wom.

wombat2u2004
01-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Hey Wom how is it going over there my friend,we see the news and it just looks terrible, do you know if the gold coast and sunshine coast is flooded as well, so many holiday makers going over there just now, sadly i am not one of them.
Here's hoping matey that the rains stops and the sun shines, fingers and all paws crossed here, stay safe Wom.

Yep, we certainly have had our share of rain Carole. It rained pretty heavy here in Armidale yesterday, it's very overcast now, so we'll probably get more later today.
As for the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast, I know it's raining very heavy there, so a little localised flooding would probably be happening....you know, the odd road closed etc etc.

Here's a couple of links for the weather there.

http://www.bom.gov.au/hydro/flood/

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2011/01/06/280575_gold-coast-news.html

carole
01-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Thanks Wom, we are having not enough rain here, typical, the waikato area where i live is almost in drought already, the farmers are having it hard, as they are in Oz with the rain, poor people, i hope we can have a little of your rain and you our sunshine, we heard we are going to get some rough weather a head a bit coming over from Oz,but not too bad hopefully.

My parents were on holiday in the gold coast last time they had one of the worst storms ever,was not too nice.

Take care Wom, hope things improve for all Queenslanders.