PDA

View Full Version : Why do I feel guilty?

catnapper
01-02-2011, 03:58 PM
I've written about feeling guilty about taking my days off on the weekend. I get a weekend off once every 5 weeks. THis was my weekend off. I went in yesterday for a few hours and was going to go in today but decided I didn't want to. I took a nap and read a book instead. Now that the day is over, I feel HUGELY guilty for not going in!

WHY? I DESERVE a day off - especially since I spent the last few days off with a very sick Allen. Monday was my last day off, which I spent the entire day crying over Allen being put to sleep.

I have a work party to go to tonight and seriously don't want to go --- I don't want to hear how much oney I missed out on (I work in sales, so if I'm not in the office, no sales made = no money made) I even called in at 2:00 to see if I should have come in. They had "traffic" but no sales, so I felt content to remain home.

Sigh..... why do I feel guilty for taking my time off?

Freedom
01-02-2011, 04:42 PM
why do I feel guilty for taking my time off?

I don't know that anyone can answer that for you.

Most likely you KNOW you need time off, for mental and physical health and well being.

I don't want to hear how much oney I missed out on (I work in sales, so if I'm not in the office, no sales made = no money made) I even called in at 2:00 to see if I should have come in. They had "traffic" but no sales, so I felt content to remain home.

Is money tight and you need it? (No need to answer, just think on it)
Are you a competitive person, and can't stand that someone else got the sale?

I'm sure others will have some ideas for you.

Marigold2
01-02-2011, 05:28 PM
You need a kick in the butt girl. No feeling guily, no excuses, no feeling bad. Have fun, you deserve it and hold your head up.

Alysser
01-02-2011, 05:37 PM
I think it just shows you work plenty hard, WHICH IS WHY you SHOULDN'T feel guilty! You definitely sound like you deserved the weekend off and you seem to enjoy your job, which is probably the main reason you feel guilty. That's the same reason I always felt guilty.

I know the feeling, this year at work our department was WAY under-staffed all summer. I was under-aged over the summer (17) and I couldn't legally work double shifts due to child labor laws. My friend, and the clock-in supervisor, Tiago would make me feel bad every morning when I was working day shift (10-5:30) telling me about how he needed good characters for the parade and it always made me feel like I needed to stay. So I would stay for my shift, clock-out, wait like 4/5 extra hours at work and go back to sign-in at 7:30. It was kind of ridiculous now that I think of it and I highly doubt I would ever do that again. Well - now I can work double shifts so it's not a problem. But I LOVED doing the Parade, it was so much fun.

cassiesmom
01-02-2011, 07:42 PM
I get a weekend off once every 5 weeks. THis was my weekend off. I went in yesterday for a few hours and was going to go in today but decided I didn't want to. I took a nap and read a book instead. Now that the day is over, I feel HUGELY guilty for not going in!

Sigh..... why do I feel guilty for taking my time off?

Please don't. You need time off to rest and recharge.

I was supposed to be off Wednesday but I decided to go in. The person covering for me had never done my full day's work by herself and I knew my manager would not be available to help her. I couldn't leave her there alone. It worked out okay and I will get a different day off.

wombat2u2004
01-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Yep....you have to have your time off old mate.
I'm sure you have given more than you have taken.
So taking the day off for a bit of well needed rest is naught to feel guilty about. ;)

catnapper
01-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Is money tight and you need it? (No need to answer, just think on it)
Are you a competitive person, and can't stand that someone else got the sale?

Money is always tight! But I had a great month in December, and am expecting a fabulous bonus next week.

I am competetive at work. I know my job and am good at it. I finished December on top, and always hate the beginning of a new month because I have to climb back up. this month's goal is the highest ever (sigh)

Apparently, I didn't miss anything at work today (YAY!) So following my gut to stay home was a good choice.

Karen
01-02-2011, 10:15 PM
Apparently, I didn't miss anything at work today (YAY!) So following my gut to stay home was a good choice.

You, my friend, need to learn to trust yourself a little more. Everyone needs some down time every now and then, and there's nothing to feel guilty about in being human.