PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Pox.. not nice..

Husky_mom
12-31-2010, 11:51 AM
my kid woke up with chicken pox this morning :(

I know and am glad he got it now as it´s "better" when their young.. what concerns me is the baby..

I had it as a kid so hopefully baby has antibodies from me.. at least until she´s a lil older..

so.. we´ll be put away for a week or so.. although separated from each other.. and tons of antibacterial gel..

and Happy New Year!!..:rolleyes:

hoping the new year bring better stuff along..

Karen
12-31-2010, 12:03 PM
Oh, dear. If the baby does get it, double sock her hands so she cannot itch them. Yes, I, as a kindergartener, brought home chicken pox to my baby brother - he was at least 5 months old though. Boy, did mom NOT love me for that!

Cataholic
12-31-2010, 12:13 PM
I am sorry to hear this. I, too, would be concerned with the baby. I hope the itching isn't too severe. Do you have benedryl? It might help.

This is now a common vaccine here, or at least I think it is! Don't see chickenpox too much anymore. (At least I don't).

pomtzu
12-31-2010, 12:32 PM
Both of my kids were kind enough to bring them home from school to share with me many years ago. Well fortunately I must be immune, because I didn't get them either time, and at this late stage in life, I doubt that I ever will. As a kid I had both measles and mumps, so maybe there was some kind of connection to the immunity there?????

Here's hoping your son has a very mild case, and that Ariel manages not to catch them at all.

lvpets2002
12-31-2010, 01:17 PM
:( Oh Dear how horrible.. Can your parents or inlaws keep your son until he gets over it so the baby wont be exposed?? I never had them.. I know alot of people that did have them & they say it is horrible.. Good Luck & Prayers & Huggss.. You all take care & Happy New Years..

Freedom
12-31-2010, 03:13 PM
I hope Ariel doesn't catch it, this young, too much for her.

Hope your son recovers quickly. All I remember about it is Calamine lotion, lol, to stop the itch.

sasvermont
12-31-2010, 04:56 PM
I came home from the hospital with chicken pox. At least that is what I was told, happened. There was an outbreak at the hospital where I was born. I still have the scars on my face (chin area) where the scabs rubbed off and left a nasty indentation or four. I don't even notice them since they have been there forever, for me.

I don't remember the illness but my Mom surely did. She said I was an unhappy camper for days and of course, it looks so nasty when the scabs show and the itching begins.

I hope your son does ok with it. I suspect he will. I bet the baby is getting your immunity via your milk. Good thing. I don't know how it spreads. Not sure if it is a virus - I think it is a virus and if that is the case.....well, prepare yourself. All about chicken pox ----> http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/chickenpox-varicella-topic-overview

Let us know how this works out for you and I am sure we are all hoping the the chicken pox skips right over you and your baby.

Happy New Year dear ones.

Husky_mom
12-31-2010, 06:32 PM
meds: check
soothing lotion: check
research: check

I´m taking precautions.. washing hands often.. kids not near one another, etc, etc..

I too read that page amongst a few more others.. yes, it´s a virus.. but supposedly as I had them I´m giving immunization with the milk, so I read and the pediatrician said.. but there´s still a very very rare case when it does happen anyway, hence precautions..

even so.. baby has already been exposed as my kid´s contagious period started a few days before showing the blisters.. but I´m not prolonging exposure..

hopefully she´s gota nice amount of antibodies to avoid til a bit older..
and that my boy doesn´t itch so much or have any other symptoms.. and heals quickly

when I had it, all I recall was huuuuuuge itch.. but that´s it..

Taz_Zoee
12-31-2010, 06:49 PM
I was the last of the three kids to get the pox. My mom learned from the older two what to do. I believe she gave me baths in epsom salt water. It helped the itching. I do not have one single scar anywhere on my body. My brother and sister both do.

Good luck and I hope Ariel does not catch them.

cassiesmom
12-31-2010, 09:03 PM
Oh, no! I hope your son gets over them quickly and doesn't itch too much, and I hope your daughter doesn't get them now. I had 'em over Christmas break my second year of college. I've got two little round marks in my hair line from particularly itchy lesions.

wombat2u2004
01-01-2011, 08:17 AM
Oh yuk.......I had them when I was a kid.
Yep....keep beautiful baby from it. :D

sana
01-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Oh! that's so worrying! I hope your son's chicken pox end soon. My nephew was less than 4months old and he had German measles! I have never had them in my life. :( I might have them when I grow up which is gonna be terrible...

Prayers for your son. And a little thingy DON'T LET HIM SCRATCH THE POX!!! Their really itchy but they can burst and a mark remains behind, like the one on my nose and on the side of my face. I bursted them... :rolleyes:

Sonia59
01-03-2011, 03:48 AM
I had chicken pox myself when Valentine was 2 months old. I was breastfeeding, and she had nothing!! :) Incubation time is of at least 10 days, so your baby was probably exposed already, before you even know it. I was worried too for Valentine due to her young age, but the doctor told me it would probably not but strong for her. And the time she develops the symptoms, I made enough antibodies, so she was fully protected! So, try not to worry too much ;)
Doc told me she would protected perhaps for one year, not all life. Indeed, she had it at 2, at the daycare.
Afterwards, I was scared that I could have had it during pregnancy!...:eek:

I hope it's going smooth for your son.

happylabs
01-03-2011, 11:45 AM
Oh my, CP are not fun. I hope the baby does not get it.

I had them as a kid and will have to post the pic of me with calamine lotion all over my face.

My daughter got the pox first when she was probably about 2 and then my son got them from her.

Epsom salts bath is wonderful! Also, there is an oatmeal bath you can get at the pharmacy.

Make sure you take photos. Your kids will love you when they are adults. :p

Husky_mom
01-03-2011, 12:49 PM
he´s doing ok actually.. not so many "spots".. lol.. maybe like 5-6 on the face.. the rest are mostly on the body.. but still not that many.. he hasn´t had a fever and the lotions seems to help although he hasn´t been that itchy..

I do hope baby is protected as said by doc and your inputs as well as internet research.. lol.. for at least 3-6 months while breastfeeding and by me already having them..

they still are separated just in case..

thank you for your concern ;)

carole
01-04-2011, 02:05 AM
I sure hope your wee girl does not catch them, they are bad enough when it is your toddler, my girl did not get them until she was 13 and she had been exposed to them at pre-school, was even in the same car ,and in close contact,as a person who later came down with them, so here's hoping.

Yes there is a vaccine nowadays, and has been for some time now.

You could give your son an antihistimane to take ,by liquid form, this really helps the itch, i did it for my daughter and it helped so much, luckily she did not scar much at all,and they were quite bad.

Fingers and all paws crossed here that Ariel does not get them, thinking of you all, hope your lil fella is doing ok and will soon be over them and feeling much better too.