PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Rosie......

RICHARD
12-31-2010, 12:37 AM
http://www.aolnews.com/2010/12/30/geraldine-hoff-doyle-inspiration-behind-we-can-do-it-poster/

What a great life.

I worked with a woman who had a strange 'defect' to her fingers. Her index fingers bowed towards her thumbs.

It took me a while to ask her about them.

She told me that she pulled wiring harnesses for aircraft built during WWII and the 'pull' on them deformed her fingers.

She was a wonderful woman and I still remember her across the years.

Freedom
12-31-2010, 07:27 AM
I saw on the news last evening.

Surprised me to learn, that woman didn't know she was the "model" for Rosie for years!

rosethecopycat
12-31-2010, 07:49 AM
My mother was a Rosie, of sorts. She worked on the B52 bombers at the Willow Run airport, near Detroit, during the war.
My father was in the Philippines.

I never knew my mother, and my dad really didn't speak of the war, other than to say it was 'awful'.

Karen
12-31-2010, 12:12 PM
I worked with a woman who had a strange 'defect' to her fingers. Her index fingers bowed towards her thumbs.

It took me a while to ask her about them.

She told me that she pulled wiring harnesses for aircraft built during WWII and the 'pull' on them deformed her fingers.

She was a wonderful woman and I still remember her across the years.

My first job, as a teenager, was at a wig salon. Because many of our patrons were older women, I would sometimes notice deformed, arthritic hands. And growing up where I did, I'd go home and describe them to my Dad, and he could tell me what job those women did at the woolen mills that were the main industry in our area, back then. I once asked him how Grandma escaped having her hands so deformed as these women, and it was because she was intelligent and not content to just work at a loom all day for years - she quickly moved up and became the supervisor in the room of women who repaired loom parts - so their work was always varied, depending on what they were fixing, and they didn't end up with the repetitive stress injuries that the people who worked the lines did.

Just a simple note - Grandma, working as a supervisor at the mill (hands on, she did the work, too) made a better wage than Grandpa, who was chief of police.

Freedom
12-31-2010, 03:11 PM
Karen, that was interesting! Thanks for sharing.

My mother was a Rosie, of sorts. She worked on the B52 bombers at the Willow Run airport, near Detroit, during the war.
My father was in the Philippines.

I never knew my mother, and my dad really didn't speak of the war, other than to say it was 'awful'.

Most of that generation never spoke of WW II. They came home and got on with life (well, most of them). My Dad never speaks of it either. When we attended the Tribute to WW II veterans back in August, this was mentioned during the presentations.

cyber-sibes
01-01-2011, 02:15 PM
Karen, very interesting! My mom & her sisters worked in the knitting mills in Fall River back then - my mom's job was making the thread loops for the hooks on dresses, she showed us how to "knit" a strand of thread into a chain when we were kids. LOL, haven't thought about that for years, I'll bet I can still do it! She also tied those pretty bows on the finished dresses that were so popular back then.

I've always liked those Rosie ads, funny how she became an icon & didn't know it! She comes from wonderful generation of people that knew what it meant to band together for a cause. God bless them all.

rosethecopycat
01-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Karen, that was interesting! Thanks for sharing.

Most of that generation never spoke of WW II. They came home and got on with life (well, most of them). My Dad never speaks of it either. When we attended the Tribute to WW II veterans back in August, this was mentioned during the presentations.

Thank your father for his service, from me. :)