PDA

View Full Version : LilGirl surprised me when...

kaycountrygal
12-30-2010, 05:48 PM
LilGirl surprised me when she "told me she wanted to go with me".

This is what happened. I had just put on my lipstick & was putting on my coat when LilGirl went to her carrier (which was on a box), stood up & put her little paws on it & whined. She has done this twice in the last week, each time as I was getting ready to leave the house. Her daddy was here both times so she would not have been alone but I think she wanted to go with me or go for a "ride ride".

I know she knows that when I put on lipstick I am leaving the house & in the winter I put on a coat. I've had housedogs over 30 yrs (one dog at a time) & I have never had one go to carrier & whine to go with me. Yes, We do take her with us from time to time & she prefers to be in her carrier (at least at first). We put her carrier in the middle of back seat with her door open & she goes back & forth from back to front & looks out window etc. Even when it's time for vet, I just put her carrier down & she jumps in it & will not get out.

So, folks, is that what's going on? She's telling me she wants to go with me or go for a "ride ride"? If that's what she's doing, then I think I have a very smart little dog (proud mama). She was two yrs old in July '10 & is a chihuahua rat terrier mix.

We plan to take her for a "ride ride" tomorrow. I'll do the lipstick & coat thing again to see if she goes to the carrier & whines.

What do you think? Does your dog do this? Kay in NC, Thur Dec 30 2010

Freedom
12-30-2010, 05:57 PM
My dogs know my routine as I prepare to go out. And since at least once daily it is to take them for a walk, every time I pt on my socks and shoes, they get excited, thinking I am going to put on their harnesses and takee them.

So yes I do believe Lil Girl knows you are preparing to leave and she expects to join you!

lizbud
12-30-2010, 06:16 PM
Very smart little pup you have there.:) I'm glad you'll probably get to
tell her "yes" tomorrow.

My putting on either shoes or a coat, is a dead giveaway that a "bye bye"
is possible for them too. They are so easy to please.:D

SWHouston
12-31-2010, 10:31 AM
Kay,

I'm certainly not trying to diminish how apparently smart LGirl is, but, those who want to go, can and will pick up on even the most subtle trigger.
I have two Yorkies, and I believe if there's ANY breed that wants to "go" it's them ! :D

We have had to stop saying Go, Car, Truck, Store and a couple other words out loud (have resorted to spelling them, but that's becoming rather unreliable as well).

My Male can be upstairs, looking out the window, totally out of sight and earshot, and I can just look at my Co-Provider (just thinking we need some Groceries or whatever) and he will come charging down the stairs, and start looking back and forth between us and his Harness ! I SWEAR all that has taken place is a simple look at each other. And, he's teaching our new Female Puppy just how to pick up on that stuff, whatever it is, and I'm leaning toward thinking it's empathic ability.

It's absolutely amazing, an inexplicable. :eek:

Taz_Zoee
12-31-2010, 11:01 AM
I am always amazed with how smart dogs really are. And there are people that believe they don't have the ability to "think". I strongly disagree!!
The only time my dogs get excited that we might take them with us is if we grab the leashes..OR if we are both standing at the door with jackets on. Because usually they go outside or in their kennels when we leave. We've tried to just leave them out in the house, but they think they are coming with us. LOL

One day I was looking out the window to the backyard and Zoee was laying closer to the front door. I saw a squirrel walk across the top of the fence and said "wow, that's a huge squirrel walking along the fence" just in a normal voice talking to Bruce. Zoee jumps up and comes to the door looking out intently for the said squirrel. I started laughing and told Bruce what she did. He says "yeah, she does that but won't come inside when you call her". LOL So true! She has selective hearing, that's for sure.

kaycountrygal
12-31-2010, 08:48 PM
oh me, I'm laughing after reading comments re spelling of words and saying or not saying certain words outloud; I understand. I used to have a mini doxie & I had to spell beef & chicken because she liked both so much. LilGirl knows what a squirrel & rabbit are & I often ask her if she wants to chase one. Her little ears & body perk up & she starts looking for one as soon as she gets outside. This happened a lot before cold weather came. We still see pesky squirrels but no rabbits right now. She even knows which trees are their favorite.

Yes, dogs are smart--much smarter than non-dog people think.

Today I put on lipstick & my coat & LilGirl stood in front of carrier & started whining & jumping around. She didnt put her paws on it but was more active about it than yesterday. I said "do you want to go with me?" and she reallly got excited. Shoot, I wasnt really going anywhere BUT I was not going to disappoint her so we went. I got her carrier down & opened it & in she went quickly. We drove a few miles down the road & back; she was a happy little camper.

SWHouston
01-01-2011, 03:10 AM
Kay,

I see you Crate LGrl when she's in your vehicle. I assume that is for her protection in case of an accident ? I use a tethered Harness which lets them stand up (somewhat) and look out the windows. My (adult) male is teaching my (puppy) female what to bark at when we're in route.
Guys with Weedeaters are his favorite ! :D

Zoee,

So many "non doggers" don't take into consideration, how superior dogs senses are. Even in humans, there's only so much room up there ! :rolleyes:
Of course, to say they can't think is absurd, in fact, what they can't do is "extrapolate", and that is the only thing, that keeps them from being considered sentient beings. ;)

There isn't one thing beside extrapolation, which one could directly compare a dog with a human. We can see, so can they. We can speak, so can they. And I could go on for a vast number of comparisons.

However, when we find a human, with limited mental capacity, who can't extrapolate, we forgive that, and vote him into our fold by proxy.
I think the rest of the Galaxy is very lucky, that we don't have Warp capability.

chocolatepuppy
01-01-2011, 07:38 AM
My dogs know the 'signs'. Sometimes, I may be just getting things ready to go out later and they look a little concerned that I may be leaving.:D

Alysser
01-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Mikey certainly knows when anyone is going out in my house. Sometimes it'll be the whole family or just my parents or siblings. If it's all of us he gets sort of upset, but he knows we'll be back. He doesn't go in his crate anymore when we leave so he knows it means he just has to play with himself for a little while or sleep. :p

I guess Lil Girl knows this too! She's a smart little one :)

cassiesmom
01-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Yes, dogs are smart--much smarter than non-dog people think.

Today I put on lipstick & my coat & LilGirl stood in front of carrier & started whining & jumping around. She didnt put her paws on it but was more active about it than yesterday. I said "do you want to go with me?" and she reallly got excited. Shoot, I wasnt really going anywhere BUT I was not going to disappoint her so we went. I got her carrier down & opened it & in she went quickly. We drove a few miles down the road & back; she was a happy little camper.

LilGirl's mom-- you are the best! What a sweet thing to do! And LilGirl, how smart you are to figure out a way of getting some car time with your mom! Did you see a squirrel? Could you please have her give you (Annie and Luke too) some petting for me?

Katelf
01-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Anytime I put shoes on my feet is a time for great excitement from Henry and Bodea. Henry tries to help by nuzzling the laces and wagging his tail with excitement. With his nose in there the putting on of shoes is somewhat delayed, but it is hilarious and makes me laugh every time.

They know subtle clues, there is no doubt about it.

:)

HoochsMommiee
01-05-2011, 04:42 AM
my dogs do the same thing especially when i go in the bathroom and come out with either diffrent pants on then when i went in there with on and they will run bark and rooo at me when i put socks on

sounds like i have 30 dogs when this happens

happylabs
01-05-2011, 07:35 AM
Oh she is so sweet and smart. And adorable!

Casey knew my routine when she was with me. I don't remember specifics now because it has been over a year that she has been gone. However, she would sit in front of the bathroom door and watch me get ready for work. At some point in my routine she would go and curl up on the couch before I left. :love:

They do get to know routines but that is amazing that she put her paws on the carrier. :)

SWHouston
01-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Both of my Yorkies are SO scent conscious it unbelievable !
Even when we're sitting out on the Patio, when they are (relatively) calm and sitting or laying down, their noses twitch back and forth continuously.

This same urge presents it's self when my Co-Provider takes them out for a run. They want to smell of every little nook and cranny, with my Male marking as many places as he can, even if it's only with one drop.

Anyway, to get to the point here...
Very soon after my Co-Provider gets home from work, my Male will rush up, look intensely at us, then look back and forth between his Harness and Leash and us repeatedly. He'll yelp and whine (quietly though) sometimes spin around, and rush back and forth between us and the door.

Of course, my little Female Puppy Becca sees his actions, and is learning how to coax, to be taken out for a run around the neighborhood.

Becca has doubled her weight since she arrived, but still is only half the weight of my Male, and I think she will not be quite as large as he. Toward the end of their runs, she frequently has to be picked up and carried for a block or two, just so my Male won't become angry for being slowed down. :D