PDA

View Full Version : Nice Christmas Moments

Karen
12-26-2010, 05:39 PM
Sometimes the small things are the nicest.

Christmas Eve we have a big traditional service at my church. I am in the choir, so I have always been there for it, and lots of families who come in from out of town are there, and strangers, and people who reunite there once a year - it's a big service. It is lovely, at 7 p.m., and candles are lit around the sanctuary, so it feels very warm and welcoming.

Many years ago, I was sitting by myself during the service - the choir "mingles" for this once service and most sit with their families. Well, partway through the service, a little girl I know looked around and realized I was - horror of horrors for her - sitting by myself. "Lyn" (not her real name) lived in a big family - her parents were also raising 5 or 6 of their grandchildren, who were just a few years younger that Lyn, as her adult siblings were struggling with addiction, incarceration, etc., and couldn't care for their own kids. Upon seeing me, she looked around, realized no one was sitting with me, whispered to her Dad, left their row, and sat next to me the rest of the service. It was just a lovely gesture.

They moved away a few years after that, and the last time I saw Lyn, she was a 16- or 17-year-old new mother, she came to our church to have her daughter baptized. And though she has that huge family, she pulled me into the "family" pictures after service over.

This Christmas Eve, Lyn came in for the service early, a beautiful young woman, with one of her older siblings, an unknown other young woman who looked at us all somewhat warily, and her daughter, who is now about the age she was when she 'adopted' me that service so many years ago. She greeted me with a big smile, and a huge hug, but then we got called away by different things. But it was just sweet that, all these years later, she still comes "home" to our church for Christmas Eve.

happylabs
12-26-2010, 06:38 PM
That is really sweet and that is what Christmas is all about. Sharing and caring and loving. :)

Freedom
12-26-2010, 07:08 PM
One of those unplanned, precious moments. :) :love:

Karen
12-26-2010, 07:41 PM
Thanks. Anyone is encouraged to add their own little moments, it didn't seem worthy of a whole thread until I considered that I bet others have little things like this that touch their hearts.

anna_66
12-26-2010, 08:11 PM
Karen that was beautiful.

I had many nice moments. Not only did I get a couple of nice surprises from my husband, but I was able to spend the whole day with Mark and my fur family. The only thing that would have made it better would be if my parents and brother could have been here too:)

I think my most memorable one will be that my brothers girlfriend & her daughter got home from her fathers funeral and were able to be together for Christmas. They weren't sure if it was going to happen...but it did and I was so happy for them all:love:

momcat
12-26-2010, 08:44 PM
That's a great story, Karen. My most memorable holiday was several years ago. My cousin was in the Army and received orders that he was being sent to Germany on Thanksgiving Day. My aunt asked him if there was anything he wanted before shipping out, he said he wanted to have our traditional family Thanksgiving. We were all there having a great time when someone decided to have Christmas for Mark after dinner. All us young folks jumped into our cars headed for the mall to get him presents but there was no way to go without taking Mark too. All went well, we broke up into small groups and passed Mark off as we met up with each other. After a great dinner we went up to Mark's room to hang out. One by one we drifted downstairs. My aunts and my Mom put up a Christmas tree completely decorated and the family room looked just like Christmas morning. While Mark was opening his gifts, my husband and another cousin thought that since we had Thanksgiving and Christmas we should do New Year's Eve too, they took off to get a few bottles of champaign. We celebrated 3 holidays in one day and had a blast. Not only that, Mark enjoyed all the celebrations and had a memorable farewell.

Laura's Babies
12-27-2010, 09:29 AM
My memorable one was they year after Eddie's accident when I wanted ALL my kids together. I asked Eddie & Regina if I bought them a plane ticket, would they come down, not for Christmas day but during the Christmas season so I could have all my kids together under one roof.. THAT was what I wanted for Christmas that year and that is what I got. That was such a JOY, everybody came and we had such a wonderful day!!

finn's mom
12-27-2010, 12:00 PM
I had many little moments this Christmas. The best part was Clara sitting sweetly in my lap while everyone unwrapped presents around us. It is always a bit chaotic, but she stayed in my lap the whole time, playing with paper. :) This was the best Christmas I've had with David and Clara. :love: