PDA

View Full Version : I surprised a check out girl at Walmart today

momoffuzzyfaces
12-22-2010, 03:10 PM
While I was loading my groceries on the counter today, the check out girl greeted me with Merry Chirstmas. I was so happy!!! I thanked her for doing that. I told her I am so sick of people acting like Christmas is a dirty word. Of course I wished her Merry Christmas too. And everyone else I passed on the way out!!! :D :love:

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL TOO by the way!!!

Freedom
12-22-2010, 03:18 PM
I understand many shops have directed their employees to say "Happy Holidays."

I reply with "Merry Christmas!"

It is surprising -- and happily so -- how many will stop, smile and reply, "Thanks, Merry Christmas!" :)

I know, especially in this economy, they don't want to jeopardize the job. Such a relief when they can say it!

Karen
12-22-2010, 04:21 PM
I don't take offense when someone says "Happy Holidays," as I figure they are covering Christmas AND New Year's Day. But when I know someone's religion, I will say Merry Christmas. There is a large percentage of Jewish people in this city, so it is smart to think before you speak, but I've never had anyone scold me or act offended either way.

lizbud
12-22-2010, 05:09 PM
I don't know about you Moff, but I get tired of "apologizing almost"
for celebrating a Christian holiday. I believe "Jesus IS the reason for the season & I'll "Merry Christmas "all I want too":) Good for you.:)

Some Retailers do instruct their emplayees to stick to the neutral greeting
of Happy Holidays in order to cover all bases I guess.

DJFyrewolf36
12-22-2010, 07:57 PM
I smiled when the bus driver said "Merry Christmas" the other day. I believe that there is a lot to celebrate during the winter and that each culture brings something wonderful to the season. I wouldn't be offended if someone said Happy Hanukkah or wished me a Merry Solstice. As long as people agree on peace and good will towards others, I'm happy. :D

anna_66
12-22-2010, 09:30 PM
I work in a restaurant and they tell us to say Happy Holidays. That's nice and all, but I've had many people talking "Christmas" so I tell them Merry Christmas. Definitely brings a smile to their face:D

slick
12-22-2010, 11:25 PM
I've been getting alot of "Happy Holidays" this year. My response? "Merry Christmas" :)

moosmom
12-23-2010, 06:30 AM
I do what Karen does. If I know the person's religion, I'll use what's appropriate. For people I don't know I say Happy Holidays! This way it doesn't leave anyone out. Well, except maybe the athiests.:rolleyes:

Medusa
12-23-2010, 07:58 AM
As a child, I was taught to say a greeting appropriate to the person, ie., "Merry Christmas", "Happy Hanukkah", etc. If I didn't know the person, I said "Greetings of the season to you!" or just "Season's Greetings!" I actually miss hearing that one.

Cataholic
12-23-2010, 09:52 AM
I don't take offense when someone says "Happy Holidays," as I figure they are covering Christmas AND New Year's Day.

I am pretty sure people say Happy Holidays so as to not offend anyone concerning the religious holidays....haven't heard many people getting offended by a "Happy New Year" greeting.

Nomilynn
12-23-2010, 11:23 AM
I always say Merry Christmas. If someone responded back with Happy Hanukkah or something else like that, I would say, "Thanks, same to you!" If I knew the person didn't celebrate Christmas, I would also tailor my greeting.

Alysser
12-23-2010, 01:43 PM
I too could do without the political correctness lately. I was really surprised my school allowed kids to wear Santa hats and reindeer antler today! I enjoy when people tell me 'Merry Christmas' but if someone said 'Happy Hannakuah' or even Kwanza or just happy holidays it would make me happy. I don't care what you celebrate, there's no reason to take offense if I greet you nicely. Just take it. :rolleyes:

cassiesmom
12-23-2010, 02:21 PM
I stopped for a soft drink at McDonald's today on my way to work - which I do a couple of times a week. The man who handed it to me out the window said, "Here ya go! Merry Christmas!" I was pleasantly surprised because this is McDonald's- I expected Have a nice day or Happy Holidays.

sparks19
12-23-2010, 03:16 PM
LOL the lady at the post office wished me a merry christmas.

couldn't she get fired for that :O

Kidding of course.

I actually think I've only heard happy holidays once this year.

*LabLoverKEB*
12-23-2010, 04:20 PM
i don't know about you moff, but i get tired of "apologizing almost"
for celebrating a christian holiday. I believe "jesus is the reason for the season & i'll "merry christmas "all i want too":) good for you.:)

amen!

Lilith Cherry
12-23-2010, 04:34 PM
I have been to seven different stores this morning to finish my shopping and was greeeted with "Merry Christmas!" in every one! Which made me very happy:D

Asiel
12-23-2010, 06:38 PM
Everyone around here still says Merry Chritmas regardless of religion or belief. I always say it to whoever checks my order and I get a smile back with "Same to you and have a great day" , If someone greeets me first I do the same...somehow it seems that the more you say it the more contagious it seems to be and it puts everyone in such a good mood to be acknowledged. Some of those clerks are pretty tired at the end of the day so why not show a bit of cheer and appreciation to let them know they are thought of.

boomersooner
12-23-2010, 06:50 PM
I was just at the walmart grocery store, and the guy checking me out told me Merry Christmas....I thanked him for saying that, and he got a huge grin on his face! I'm like Karen...If I know someone's religion, then I'll say what is appropriate, but if I don't, then I usually say Merry Christmas because that is who I am! LOL

Taz_Zoee
12-24-2010, 05:52 PM
We went to the mall yesterday and I also heard several Merry Christmas's. And I thought of this thread each time. :)

wombat2u2004
12-24-2010, 06:31 PM
I wish people a Merry Xmas no matter who they are.
If they don't like that, then they can have an Un-Merry Xmas.

K9karen
12-28-2010, 11:39 PM
I'm not Christian, but I say Merry Christmas to everybody. If someone says it to me, I'm not offended at all. I DO know what the season is all about. I have friends of all religions and I swear, we all say Merry Christmas. If someone says to me "Happy Hanukah", I say.."thanks for remembering"

Seriously, so many religious wars. I can never understand why people aren't accepting. I don't think God likes ugly.