PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Holiday Baked Goods!

DJFyrewolf36
12-21-2010, 06:54 PM
Every family has a different baked good that is traditionally made around the holidays. As a kid I loved winter break from school because I got to hang around the house and watch my parents bake all day. :D My favorite two things are Lefse (more of a tynnlefse, for those of you that know the difference ;) ) and saffron bread. My dad just sent me some and the package arrived today! He also sent a bunch of home made cookies. :D :love:

PTers, what is your favorite holiday treat?

Alysser
12-21-2010, 07:08 PM
Saffron Bread sounds amazing! :D

My mom bakes and cooks alot during the holidays. I LOVE her peanut butter balls and her Italian nut balls with apricot filling:love: She also makes rainbow cookies, those are so so good!

cassiesmom
12-21-2010, 07:08 PM
ROFL because I have soooooo many!

Bakery bread and houska (which is an Eastern European sweet bread, kind of like challah)
Almond crescents
Oreo truffles- I just learned about Oreo truffles last week when one of the social workers brought them for a Christmas treat. Oreo cookies and cream cheese balls, dunked in chocolate -- yummy!
Those little cookies with the Hershey kiss stuck to the middle of the cookie
Snickerdoodles
Spritz cookies- thank you, Karen for reminding me about spritz cookies!
I don't know what they're really called but my niece calls them "Ohio treats"- the middle is peanut butter and I don't know what else, and they're chocolate coated. But they're more like a candy than a cookie. She learned about them from a college friend who grew up in Ohio.
Thumb print cookies with jam
Kolacky

Karen
12-21-2010, 07:17 PM
Gingerbread cookies!
Gingerbread (the cake, not the cookies)
Coffee Ring - over in the Recipe Thread
Rolls (family recipe)
Spritz Cookies

DJFyrewolf36
12-21-2010, 07:18 PM
Gingerbread cookies!
Gingerbread (the cake, not the cookies)
Coffee Ring - over in the Recipe Thread
Rolls (family recipe)
Spritz Cookies

Spritz! How could I forget? My parents sent me some of them too I think. :D
This thread is making me hungry...:D

Karen
12-21-2010, 07:24 PM
And I miss stollen, but am now allergic to most of the candied fruits (cherries, citrus) and the almonds that make it so extra yummy.

I also miss fruitcake, but without most of the fruit and the nuts, there's not much point!

Lilith Cherry
12-21-2010, 07:29 PM
I just love making and eating everything which is why I am glad to be home for Christmas ( my kids are glad too because they will be able to eat me out of house and home this year:D) So far I have made;

Crystalised gingerbread cookies
Giandua Rum truffles
Fruit cake
Christmas puddings
Cheese and leek pasties
Sausage rolls
Mince pies
Nanaimo bars
Date squares
Choco chip and walnut cookies
Coconut pastel
Raspberry bars
Scottish shortbread
Maids of honour
Apple and strawberry pies
Coffee and walnut cake
Melton Mowbray pork pie

Tomorrow I am going to make Tourtiere and more sausage rolls!

I LOVE baking and I love eating :D

If anyone wants a recipe for any of them just msg me

chocolatepuppy
12-21-2010, 07:53 PM
My all time favorite is my sugar cookies!
http://petoftheday.com/talk/picture.php?albumid=360&pictureid=3442
I think I'll have some now with a glass of milk!:D

Taz_Zoee
12-21-2010, 08:08 PM
My family has more desserts than we do food usually. :) We have:
Chocolate pudding pie
brownies
cheesecake
cookies (various kinds)
And this year we are also having:
Buche de Noel
and a German Chocolate Cake

Bruce's family has Lefse, it has become tradition the past few years. They always had it growing up and now his mom has brought it back. :)

I cannot wait for Christmas (and Xmas Eve) this year!!! :D :D

krazyaboutkatz
12-22-2010, 11:44 AM
I used to bake a lot for Christmas but I don't do this much any more. I will be going to my parents on Friday to do a little baking though. I'll be making pecan balls. Here are just a few of the different types of cookies that I've made in the past.

Christmas Cut Out Cookies
Gingerbread Cookies
Pecan Balls

Medusa
12-22-2010, 12:13 PM
Thumb print cookies but ONLY the ones my friend Gail makes. I'm not big on cookies or dessert of any kind, really. I have a few faves but nothing major. Her thumb print cookies, though. Yum! She's an RN and I told her if she ever decided to open a bakery, she could clean up! Everything she's ever made has been luscious, even chocolate chip cookies which don't impress me at all.

carole
12-22-2010, 01:36 PM
Oh my reading all these makes me hungry and i want the RECIPES now, i used to bake xmas muffins,shaped decorated shortbread cookies and last year i made my first ever cheesecake and it was to die for, it is called a white chocolate malteser cheesecake,i can highly recommend this, it is divine, i did not decorate it, but i will next time with chocolate mousse rosettes and cherries and shards of chocolate.

I also have to try my weight watchers truffles one of these days.

This year is very low key, we are not doing much of a xmas really, so no home baking ,just be hubby and me and our girl.

cassiesmom
12-27-2010, 07:07 PM
May I add one more? Rocky road from Trader Joe's. It's dark chocolate with marshmallows and nuts. The pieces are about 1 1/2" square but it's so rich that I could just eat one or even half of one. I wouldn't buy it for every day but it seemed appropriate for Christmas. For every day I like their little ginger cookies and animal crackers, and I can eat a few without it being excessive calories.

Bonny
12-27-2010, 08:24 PM
My all time favorite is my sugar cookies!
http://petoftheday.com/talk/picture.php?albumid=360&pictureid=3442
I think I'll have some now with a glass of milk!:D

Some of those good old sugar cookies with a glass of milk. Please will you share them? They look so good on the cookie sheet. :)