PDA

View Full Version : Kroger recalls pet food for cats and dogs

ChrisH
12-20-2010, 03:46 AM
Kroger recalls pet food for cats and dogs in over 19 states. The questioned items are sold under the brand names of Old Yeller, Pet Pride and Kroger Value. Kroger expects that the products have been contaminated with a substance known as aflatoxin, which is known to cause pet illness that may lead to death.

Read full story here
http://news.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474978812089

phesina
12-20-2010, 04:26 AM
More information from Kroger's web site (at http://www.kroger.com/services/Pages/recall_information.aspx):

------>
Active Recalls

PET PRIDE CAT FOOD, 18 LB , PET PRIDE TASTY BLEND POULTRY &SEAFOOD CAT FOOD, 3.5 LB , PET PRIDE CAT FOOD, 3.5 LB , PET PRIDE KITTEN FORMULA FOOD, 3.5 LB , KROGER VALUE CAT FOOD, 3 LB , KROGER VALUE CHUNK DOG FOOD, 50 LB , OLD YELLER CHUNK DOG FOOD, 50 LB , PET PRIDE TASTY BLEND POULTRY &SEAFOOD, 18 LB , KROGER VALUE CHUNK DOG FOOD, 15 LB , OLD YELLER CHUNK DOG FOOD, 22 LB

Affected in Kroger stores located in Indiana (except SW IN, -Evansville-), Illinois, Eastern Missouri, Greater Cincinnati, including Northern Kentucky, Dayton, OH and South Eastern Indiana, Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama and Knoxville, Tennessee, Greater Memphis, TN, Arkansas, Mississippi and Western Kentucky, Michigan, Central and Northwest Ohio and N. West Virginia panhandle, Greater Louisville (including Indiana), Lexington, and Nashville, TN, North Carolina, Virginia, Eastern WV, Eastern Kentucky, SE Ohio, Texas and Louisiana; Dillons, Jay C, Food 4 Less, FoodsCo, Baker's, Gerbes, and Food4Less Fremont stores.

Reason: The products may be contaminated with aflatoxin which can cause serious illness and even death to pets if consumed. Press Release

December 17, 2010
----------------------

smokey the elder
12-20-2010, 01:26 PM
Aflatoxin is bad stuff! The food must have gotten moldy.

phesina
12-20-2010, 05:39 PM
This was all over the TV news here this morning.

I don't feed that to my cats, but there was some donated recently to the shelter. Fortunately, today I found it and pulled it all out before it could be given to any of our cats. When I have time I'm going to take it to the Kroger across the street and see if they'll give me something non-poisonous in exchange for it.