PDA

View Full Version : The Salvation Army's Adopt-a-family program

jenluckenbach
12-17-2010, 07:32 PM
I just thought I would share with you the joy I had doing this program this year.

I was given a family of 5, a mom and 4 girls, who lost everything in a house fire. The family is living at a Salvation Army shelter.

I managed to get each girl 4 2-piece outfits and a set of PJ's, a "treasure box" filled with little goodies, a toy, a doll and a stuffed animal. The oldest girl also got a very special necklace (her wish was jewelry).
Mom got a 3 piece outfit, a bath and body gift basket (it was her wish) and a nice earring and pin set.

And even with all that, I doubt I spent more than $200. Some of the ways I got great deals were 1) My sister works at JC Penney, so we used her discount for the PJ's. 2) The treasure boxes and most of the treasures were $1 store items. 3) 2 of each of the outfits come from my favorite thrift store. It might take more time to sort through the sizes and find those gems that are LIKE-NEW, but it allows me to get more for my money. 4) the necklace was one of the FREE sterling silver pendants from this website http://www.silverjewelryclub.com/ 5) and the stuffed animals I got out of a "claw" machine game recently (I am addicted, and will only play when I believe I can win)

SO the fact that I am by no means rich, I was able to give to someone who has even less than I do and hopefully give them a happy Christmas.

I was totally exhausted from shopping and wrapping (because I usually don't do much shopping and I do even less wrapping, for Christmas) but I will do it again next year if I am able.

cassiesmom
12-17-2010, 07:34 PM
Jen, you are an angel to this family! (((HUGS)))

Scooter's Mom
12-17-2010, 07:41 PM
Such a lovely thing you did for this family!

krazyaboutkatz
12-18-2010, 01:39 AM
This is wonderful.:) You've given this family a much brighter and happier Christmas.:)

anna_66
12-18-2010, 03:23 PM
I think it's absolutely wonderful Jen!

I just recently (yesterday) learned about the "Wish" trees and want to do it next year.

I volunteered at the Salvation Army myself yesterday helping families pick out toys for the kids and giving out hats, gloves, scarves and boxes of food.

Some of the stories you hear are just so sad. One family didn't even have heat in their home:(

I'm thankful for people like you who help out these families. I really think the Salvation Army is wonderful.

Marigold2
12-18-2010, 06:16 PM
It's a wonderful thing you did. They will appreciate it more then you know.
MERRY CHRISTMAS