PDA

View Full Version : Coyote rescued from floating ice in Lake Michigan

cassiesmom
12-17-2010, 02:08 PM
I heard this story on the morning news. The fire department got a call from someone who thought it might be a dog. The reporter said the coyote was struggling to paddle but was cold and wet. He was in the back of an Animal Care and Control van, in a carrier that was wrapped in blankets, and looked a little befuddled by the TV cameras watching him! (I would be too) He was taken to Animal Care and Control and they will contact wildlife rescue to pick him up. If he's healthy he'll probably go to the Trailside Museum.

-----
(source: Chicago Tribune)
A Fire Department boat rescued a coyote spotted floating on a patch of ice hundreds of yards out on Lake Michigan this morning.

The coyote was seen around 9:30 a.m. off Fullerton Avenue, curled up on a piece of ice barely bigger than itself.

As a helicopter hovered overhead, the Victor L. Schlaeger fire boat slowly approached the coyote. Several times two crew members bent over to snare the coyote, but it kept drifting away.

Finally, the stern of the boat slid toward the coyote and a crew member snatched him with a long-handled snare and pulled him aboard.

The boat then sped to Belmont Harbor, about an hour after the coyote was spotted. There was no immediate word on his condition.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/_2coyote612.jpg

Cataholic
12-17-2010, 02:56 PM
Oh! He looks positively frozen. Glad they rescued him. Hope he is healthy.

cassiesmom
12-17-2010, 07:31 PM
It's a female coyote! Here's an afternoon update from the Trib. This is a continuation of the story in post #1.

Animal Control workers named the coyote "Holly," for the holidays, and said she was "resting comfortably" at an animal shelter that cares for injured and orphaned wildlife.

The coyote was "alert" when she arrived at the shelter, Flint Creek Wildlife center in Barrington, just before 5 p.m., said Flint Creek founder Dawn Keller.

A medical exam found that the coyote is in generally good health, but has some frostbite on the pads of her feet, Keller said. Although "any frostbite is serious," there appears to have been no tissue death yet, and Flint Creek will be treating her to try to make sure she doesn't suffer any permanent damage, Keller said.

Here's another picture of her.
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/_coyote612.jpg

zippy-kat
12-17-2010, 10:23 PM
Those eyes just melt my heart. What a happy ending!

Laura's Babies
12-18-2010, 07:56 AM
Poor thing, she must have been terrified out there all by herself with no way to get back to shore.. Glad someone spotted her and help arrived to save her.

moosmom
12-18-2010, 08:06 AM
Poor baby! I'm just glad they got to her in time.

chocolatepuppy
12-18-2010, 09:09 AM
Thank goodness they were able to save her! :)

Vette
12-20-2010, 03:16 PM
Oh my gosh! the poor girl looks sooo cold an very scared. :(
glad someone saved her.

cassiesmom
12-20-2010, 05:03 PM
I checked the rescue's Web site. No update about her yet. I hope she's dry and warm!

Vette
12-20-2010, 05:19 PM
^ Yes me too! made me cold just looking at her with the ice frozen to her tail.
im also curious about if theyre going to release her or keep her in a wild animal sanctuary thingy.

Vette
12-21-2010, 03:21 AM
Is there a website with the info? if so please posty it. id like to go there to see if any updates are about too.

i love coyotes :D