PDA

View Full Version : Hey young people - need gift ideas!

catnapper
12-17-2010, 08:10 AM
My daughter turns 21 on Jan 5th. I need two gifts. One for Christmas and another for her birthday. I have no idea what to get her. Hubby tricked me... we went shopping for a necklace for her. I picked out a GORGEOUS garnet and diamond necklace and his true intention was for me to pick out something I liked. Now I have no idea what to get HER. :D :p

She's very hardworking. Goes to school fulltime and works almost fulltime. She works in a hospital. She joked that we got her scrubs, and I said, "oh no, we didn't do that!" because my mom got her them ;) I thought maybe sneakers for work. She and I are exaclty the same size shoe with the same taste in them.... so maybe????

She has her own appartment and I know she'd appreciate homeware stuff, like cooking implements. I do have a couple small bowls for her. I was thinking maybe a magazine subscription for food too?

I absolutely refuse to give gift cards. I feel like its a cop-out. Gifts cards are not happening.

So, all you younger PTers out there, what would you like? Our budget is around $50 each gift. We wish it could be more, but not this year.

Shelteez2
12-17-2010, 08:21 AM
Well you think it's a cop out, but I love getting gift cards and ask for them all the time. Since I moved out I've asked for gift cards for grocery stores and just places like walmart. I've also gotten gift cards for gas, which is always appreciated. ;)
But you could make her a home made gift certificate for an afternoon of shopping. Then you guys could spend time together and you're sure that she's getting something she wants.
That's about all I got. Hope you find the right gift. Also keep in mind that I'm not exactly young like your daughter, but she is the same age as my sister and I've done the homemade gift certificate before because I had no clue what to get her.

Husky_mom
12-17-2010, 08:46 AM
fulltime school.. fulltime job.. hmm... homeware?.. for me itīs tupperware!!.. then she could take food wherever she went..

comfy sneakers for long hours of walking.. thatīs good too :)

pomtzu
12-17-2010, 08:57 AM
Most young people love gift cards. My college age granddaughter loves receiving them for her favorite clothing stores, for electronics stores, and anywhere she can buy general merchandise such as Kohls, Target, etc. At least with a gift card you know that it will be used and she can get anything she wants, and it won't be a gift that gets put in a drawer or closet, never to be seen again.

Karen
12-17-2010, 09:47 AM
Crate and Barrel has a great set of nesting mixing bowls, from teeny to big, pyrex, that are great, I often give them as a shower gift, or housewarming and get thanks years later, as there's a size for every purpose - from morning cereal, to mixing bread ... and you'd still have money left for something else if you wanted.

Freedom
12-17-2010, 01:54 PM
She sounds busy! Does she like coffee? You can pick up a coffee / espresso / cappuccino maker for about $36! Then still have enough left for some nice coffee mixes.

Or do the sneakers and some coffees.

Marigold2
12-18-2010, 06:18 PM
Crockpot, she can throw things in and wonderful meals will await her upon her return. Cutting board, good knife, a good frying pan.
Maybe find a good sofa second hand for her in the paper.

happylabs
12-18-2010, 10:06 PM
Did you ask her what she wanted? All I have to do is ask my 21 year old daughter what she wants and I get a whole list from her. Sometimes she even sends me links to things she wants online.

Vette
12-18-2010, 11:25 PM
Why not get something very similar to what your husband got you or even just get her the exact samething? sometimes matching stuff is cool :)

also if it gets cold where she lives i suggest a really big soft blanket. a big enough one that she can lay on in between her comforter or sheets.

when it gets cold here an you get in bed an if you only have sheets or a comforter to lay in between they feel nasty. almost a wet feel or something to them because they are so cold. makes you cold while you lay there waiting for them to warm up.

or if youre looking for something unique to get her try http://www.etsy.com/ they have all kinds of pretty jewelry an cute random trinket stuff. just gotta dig a little to find them.

kitten645
12-19-2010, 08:51 AM
While I love getting gift cards, go direct to the source. The gift cards you buy at supermarkets are a complete rip off! By the time you pay activation fees etc etc, you've given the card companies a ton of money for nothing. Believe me, I'm in retail and I know. That little gift card "mall" at Safeway? Highest profit spot per square foot of the entire store.
I love Karen's idea of nesting bowls. I got some when I first moved out and have them to this day. Make sure they are tempered glass and can take heat. A good pan is always useful. Cooks Illustrated is a fantastic magazine that I keep for years and years for instuctions and tips. She will love whatever you get her. Happy Holidays!

catnapper
12-19-2010, 10:04 PM
Did you ask her what she wanted? All I have to do is ask my 21 year old daughter what she wants and I get a whole list from her. Sometimes she even sends me links to things she wants online.

I wish it were that easy! I asked her, hubby asked her... and she said she doesn't want anything.

Karen, funny you mention the nesting bowls because we had them already for her :)

And I think I've convinced hubby that we need to give her the necklace instead of me keeping it. One, its white gold (I prefer yellow myself). Two, its garnet, her birthstone. Three, I know she'll love it because she picked out the matching ring last year (which was WAY out of our budget... in fact the necklace was too, but it was on clearance this year). Its gorgeous with a pinkish garnet in the center of diamonds with 3 pink tormaline on top. Very elegant and classic.

Husky_mom
12-19-2010, 10:10 PM
seems youīre all set then ;).. I bet sheīll love it

Iīm kinda like "I donīt want/need anything" too... but for instance there have been years that I ended up saying.. if you want to give me something I need or want.. give me either SD memory cards or a bag of dog food.. that simple.. and I really mean it..

shais_mom
12-19-2010, 10:42 PM
I may not be "young" but I suggest any of the Taste of Home Productions in magazines. I give them as wedding shower gifts. :)