PDA

View Full Version : Hubby has shingles...

caseysmom
12-16-2010, 06:05 PM
Has anyone here had it? It is definetely not pleasant.

We got him started on antivirals yesterday so hopefully it won't last too long.

Grace
12-16-2010, 06:36 PM
Haven't had it - but an uncle did many years ago. You're right - it's not pleasant.

A good reminder to all of us who have had Chicken Pox - get the shingles vaccine (Zostavax).

Currently, one in three persons who have had chickenpox will develop shingles sometime in their life. It is possible to prevent getting this disease by way of a vaccine that was approved for shingles in 2006 called Zostavax. The recommendation is people who are 60 years of age and up get this vaccine to protect themselves from this very painful condition.

Shingles, or Herpes zoster, is caused by the same virus (varicella zoster, VZV) that causes chickenpox. It is characterized by pain, red rash, and painful fluid filled blisters. The virus is never eliminated from the body, but instead lives in a dormant stage in the nervous system. The virus can be reactivated when the person is subject to prolonged stress, or through the treatment certain illnesses such as cancer. Getting vaccinated with Zostavax, a chickenpox booster, can help prevent it's painful occurrence, as well as reduce the risk of complications such as posterherpetic neuralgia.

As of this moment, Medicare does NOT cover this vaccine. So be sure to get it before you turn 65 - or have good secondary insurance that will cover it.

Laura's Babies
12-16-2010, 07:22 PM
I knew a lady that had it really bad and it was so painful that she sat up crying all night long. The doctors to her and her family that is was NOT painful and she was just wanting attention... I was clear to see she was in bad pain but that doctor refused to see it or help her... NOW, they recognize that it is very painful. I felt so sorry for her..

Lilith Cherry
12-16-2010, 07:35 PM
I hope that doctor one day gets his comeuppance and has a dose of it himself:eek:It is VERY painful!! I had it quite badly on my ribs about three years ago and was in real misery ! Caseysmom, please tell hubby I hope the meds kick in very soon and make him feel better!

caseysmom
12-16-2010, 07:45 PM
My friend at work who is 60 called her doctor and currently there is a nationwide shortage of the vaccine although rite aid has it for 275 dollars.

When he gets better I will see if he can get one to avoid getting this in the future. This started as a sharp pain inside his abdomon so the doctor first thought it was his gall bladder, about 5 or 6 days later the rash erupted.

We did get him on the antivirals very quick so I hope that helps.

He found so many scary things on the internet I was relieved it was shingles.

rg_girlca
12-16-2010, 08:35 PM
QUOTE:
"The doctors told her and her family that is was NOT painful and she was just wanting attention..."

How I would love for that doctor to have a case of the shingles and then dare say it is NOT painful.

I had, thankfully, a mild case of the shingles on my wrists, some fingers and my neck and hell yeah, it was painful. So I can just imagine when someone has a severe case of it, the agony they must go through. First it started out what looked like a prickly heat rash and was itchy. Then the rash got bigger and that's when the pain started. Then the blisters appeared. I was prescribed a Cortizone ointment and it did help alleviate some of the pain. I had it for 3 weeks and yes, Caseysmom, it is not pleasant at all.

Prayers on the way to your hubby that he doesn't have to suffer to long with this.

Grace
12-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Shingles is bad - but so is getting Chicken Pox as an adult.

My son got it at age 34 - brought home by his kids. Fortunately, antivirals were available and he got on them the first day. When I worked in Neuro ICU almost 30 years ago, I cared for a 35 year old woman with Herpes Encephalitis - a complication of Chicken Pox.

Kids diseases can be killers for adults.

Karen
12-16-2010, 08:56 PM
There's a big poster up in my doctor's office for the elderly to get their Shingles vaccine. I forget at what age it is recommended, but will get mine when the time comes. My neighbor had it and it was just dreadful for her, painful and the pain sometimes lingers after the "episode is over " .... a real nightmare.

chocolatepuppy
12-16-2010, 09:05 PM
I hope your husband gets better soon.

Grace
12-16-2010, 09:08 PM
There's a big poster up in my doctor's office for the elderly to get their Shingles vaccine. I forget at what age it is recommended, but will get mine when the time comes. My neighbor had it and it was just dreadful for her, painful and the pain sometimes lingers after the "episode is over " .... a real nightmare.

The age suggested is 60. However, I hear all the time about folks younger than that getting shingles.

CountryWolf07
12-16-2010, 09:48 PM
I had a mild case of shingles on my arm & chest. It lasted about at least 3-4 weeks. That was four years ago. First time I ever had it. Hope I don't get that again. I learned you could get that through stress/worrying too much.

kokopup
12-16-2010, 11:08 PM
I had a pretty severe case a few years ago and to my knowledge I had never had chickenpox. If I had the pox the case was so mild no one knew I had them. If getting the Vaccine will prevent you from getting them I would advise you to get it even if you have to pay out of pocket.

I had radical lymph node surgery, a heart attack, followed by stints, and shinges all over a week and a half period. Strange all three gave me unbelivable pain in my left shoulder so my doctors were really scratching their heads. Long unreal story.

cyber-sibes
12-17-2010, 12:00 AM
My mother had them after she had radiation & chemo for lymphoma - they are indeed extremely painful! She told me she couldn't lie down to sleep, & cried for hours on end, too. I had a very mild outbreak when I was 30 & pregnant - I have some nerve damage from it, sometimes it hurts even 27 years later.

Your hubby has my sympathy - hope it clears up soon.

krazyaboutkatz
12-17-2010, 01:43 AM
A co-worker had it last year and she was only 50. She didn't know what it was so she went to the doctor and he told her it was shingles. She was put on medication and it cleared up quickly. She also said it was painful. She was told that she wouldn't get it again that once you've had it you won't get it again.

I had a severe case of chicken pox when I was about 5 or 6 years old. I had my tonsils taken out and while recovering, I ended up getting chicken pox. My mom wanted my brothers to get it so then we'd all have it and be done with it. Both of my brothers had very mild cases compared to mine.

redbird
12-18-2010, 11:45 AM
Has anyone here had it? It is definetely not pleasant.

We got him started on antivirals yesterday so hopefully it won't last too long.

Yes I had shingles a couple of years ago and it was really painful. I took meds of course but the pain was wicked. It lasted about a month and I will never forget it. Hope your hubby doesn't have it that long. Every one is different tho.

smokey the elder
12-20-2010, 01:30 PM
I had them in the spring. They were on the left side of my head, down my neck. It started as jabbing pains, then the rash broke out. Fortunately they cleared up relatively quickly; I had to take some antiviral stuff for 20 days. They wouldn't let me work unless they were fully covered; do you know what a bear it is to bandage your FACE? I looked like a mummy!:p