PDA

View Full Version : Memory Thread for Phred.

shais_mom
12-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Well, I thought I might as well just take the bull by the horns and start this thread. So many memories over the years. I've laughed at him, cried over him so many ups and downs. No one was more opinated than Phred I don't think. He would INSIST you do what he said but if you suggested something to him - meehhh. :)
The first time I met Phred he surprised all of us at a Memorial Day Pet Talk meeting. I remember standing at the pavillion and seeing him drive by with Cinder and Smoke in the backseat. Ok confession - I recognized the dogs first! And Saying HOLY CRAP THAT IS PHRED!! The rest was history. ;)
When I flew to Los Angeles for the California BBQ he was tracking my flight and calling and checking in more than my parents. He always was a night owl, he would call me at all hours of the night, so it wasn't a big deal for him to stay up late, he waited to go to bed until I had landed. He knew I was there before my parents even did. :) He checked so much on my flight that my parents were wondering just who the HECK Fred was. That took some explaining to do.
While I was out in California he called while we were on the way to Gini's BBQ and told me he had some friends coming to see us, and I squealed "ARE THEY FIREMEN? Then when they got there I called him to tell him they were there and as soon as he said "HEROW?" I yelled into the phone "CAN I KEEP THEM?" He just laughed and laughed.
Phred mapquested EVERYTHING. When Tonya, Kelly and I were out shopping one day, and we called him and told him that "Kelly was sick and Tonya and I were out driving around totally lost and could he mapquest us back to Kelly's house." There was a long period of silence on the phone and He says "are you serious?" I said "NO" and we all laughed while he let out a HUGE sigh of relief!
He was the BEST cookie maker - in the last couple of years he didn't feel up to making them for our meetings and we sure missed them. The ones he bought from a lady in Findlay were good but They just weren't the same.
He wanted to help people regardless of if he knew them or ever met them. If you were a friend of a friend that was good enough for him.
I'm sure I'll add more as I think of them but I think I got to a good start, can't wait to hear more memories from members.

momoffuzzyfaces
12-16-2010, 12:49 PM
I will never forget Klamz juize (or however Phred spelled juice).
His cat Bootz (aka Boots) was having trouble, um, peeing. I suggested mixing tuna juice with his water. That helped.
Then someone suggested clam juice and later Edwina's Secretary started a thread in Cat Health called Dear Phred.

She went to the grocery looking for something to entice kittys to drink. She came up with clam juice. That turned into one of the funnest thread's I ever read on Pet Talk. I still laugh about it. (it's still there is anyone wants to read it. just type Dear Phred in the search under Cat health. ) :D:love:

It's something no one can really describe. It just needs to be read.

wolf_Q
12-16-2010, 12:57 PM
After Corby and I were engaged Corby got an email saying Jon Phred wanted to be his friend on facebook. He asked me who that was, I told him it was just my "pet talk dad" wanting to keep an eye on him. ;) He kept bugging and bugging me to set up a wedding registry. I was slacking on all the wedding planning, he was making sure I was getting stuff done. I finally set it up, and within days there was a big box of gifts on our door from Phred. :love: He sent us a gift before anyone else.

He was always one of the first to help us out with our donations to Strut Your Mutt and to any other causes. He sent me a beautiful frame for a drawing I did of Smokey when he passed away, and included him in a memorial at Findlay. I remember the first time I went there and had Nebo with me. There was a book or something we were having the dogs "sign" with their pawprints in ink. Nebo was a little skittish with men at the time so I was a little surprised when I looked over and there was Phred with Nebo, dipping his paw in ink to sign.

If you look at Phred's post they are all words of encouragement and love to other members. You couldn't find anyone more willing to help anyone in need. He was a character for sure, and one of a kind. Miss ya Phred. :love:

Here's some photos from the two findlay meetings I went to
http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt95/wolfQU2/Random/phred2.jpg
Nebo wanting in on the treat giving
http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt95/wolfQU2/Random/phred3.jpg
http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt95/wolfQU2/Random/phred4.jpg
http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt95/wolfQU2/Random/phred5.jpg

joycenalex
12-16-2010, 01:04 PM
i found PT through his story of smokey finding cinder. he had such a way with storytelling and words when you were face to face. he was a comfort, a great comfort when duke and alex left for the rainbow, and a steady presence on PT. i am glad i got to tell him that he was important to me, i will miss you Phred.

shais_mom
12-16-2010, 01:18 PM
i found PT through his story of smokey finding cinder. he had such a way with storytelling and words when you were face to face. he was a comfort, a great comfort when duke and alex left for the rainbow, and a steady presence on PT. i am glad i got to tell him that he was important to me, i will miss you Phred.

Joyce, I left you messages on the numbers I have for you. ((HUGS))

wolflady
12-16-2010, 01:20 PM
...While I was out in California he called while we were on the way to Gini's BBQ and told me he had some friends coming to see us, and I squealed "ARE THEY FIREMEN? Then when they got there I called him to tell him they were there and as soon as he said "HEROW?" I yelled into the phone "CAN I KEEP THEM?" He just laughed and laughed.

Good times, Staci! I remember what a hit those firemen were and how we all passed Phred around on the phone! LOL That's also the first time I ever had my toenails done. Kelly took me for a pedi so we showed up to that BBQ with nice toenails! LOL

k9krazee
12-16-2010, 01:41 PM
I'm pretty sure the story of Bowser was my first exposure to forums and the first thing I read on PT. I then started stalking this mysterious man who talked funny ;) and spent a few days going through all of his posts.

He added Rich as a friend on facebook and I told him the same thing that Amy told Corby, that he was my "other dad" wanting to keep tabs on him. ;) And that he did! haha

I am really upset I didn't go to Findlay last Memorial Day. He kept insisting that I go, and would send me messages asking if I'd changed my mind. I should have went, Rich could have moved in to his apartment a day later.

He always insisted that I went to the meetings, and I'm very thankful for that. I'm glad I got the chance to meet and hang out with him. He called me 'The Blonde Kid' or 'Blondie' and was always encouraging and helpful no matter what I was going through.

He really was a sweet man and put others before himself. I can't wait for Phred's Memorial Memorial Day Gathering. I only wish he could be there too :(

I'm attempting to study for finals, but I'm enjoying reading this. :love:

RICHARD
12-16-2010, 01:42 PM
I'll miss Phred checking up on us when Cah Lee Fuh Nee Ah catches on fiur....;)

-----------------

What about dogs that like tomatoes?

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=110798&highlight=maters

Catty1
12-16-2010, 01:55 PM
I messaged Phred on FB and hoped he was feeling better. This is the last message/post I ever read from him:

I've felt a lot better.
Headed back to the hospital Friday ... probably to start dialysis.
Happie "new" KatKid!

That was November 4 at 11:06 am.

I wasn't sure he knew about Zoe, and am glad to read he did. I had sent him a Christmas card last week with the pics in it, but I doubt it got there in time.

He was solid, down to earth...and totally irreplaceable.

{{{hugz}}} to Phred...I hope he gets them.

Grace
12-16-2010, 02:31 PM
My first visit to Findlay was a couple of years ago. We were early, just Phred and the dogs were there. I walked up to him and said my name was Grace. He immediately wrapped me in a bear hug.

Of course, I had read his tales of rescue - Bowser is my favorite.

He was one of a kind - that's for sure.

Cincy'sMom
12-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Phred was always thinking of the small details you or others would never consider. When my brother passed, by the time we got to the funeral home to make arrangements, he had already contacted them to make sure they would take care of arranging to have his apartment pre-cleaned before we went down. He called me in Toledo and suggested I contact the local PD to drive by and keep an eye on the house for fear of people reading obits and using it as opportunity to break in. (Probably called the PD himself!)

And during the visitation and funeral, he came to pay his respects, but mostly came to watch the dogs so we wouldn’t have to worry about them. Of course at the time, my sister was just moving home from Texas and had her 3, which I’m not sure if he had met (maybe once?) and my mom had Pippi as a new addition who was not used to strangers and especially men. But brave man he was, walked into an empty house full of 9 dogs, handing out treats and making friends. His description of Dakota (the Great Dane!) barking as she chomped her biscuits and Pippi eventually doing a flying leap into his lap to dig in his shirt pocket for more treats were priceless.

cassiesmom
12-16-2010, 02:42 PM
I can't find the thread about fire extinguishers, but I know it's out there somewhere. This is from a couple of years ago. We were discussing what to do if you have an old fire extinguisher and you aren't sure if it works anymore. I PM'd Phred for help. Of course Phred knew exactly what to do. He advised me to call the fire station first (i.e., don't just show up), and how to frame up my request.

I also have a couple of PMs where I asked him for the help of the Prayer Pups -- his one-word answer:
** DONE! **

Phred, remember the thread about fire extinguishers? I took my little kitchen one to the fire department so they could check it out. (I called first and they said come on down) It was too old to be safe, so they kept it for discarding. That one was 10 years old, it was a housewarming gift. I went over to Home Depot and got a new one.

So thank you again for helping me figure that one out!
Elyse

Better Safe than sorry!

But call the Fire Guys back up - tell 'em you want to
"shoot off" the old one ... THEN they can toss it.

Glad some folks read my "stuff"! :p
;)

/s/ Phred

moosmom
12-16-2010, 03:05 PM
These beautiful memories of Phred has me sobbing like a baby.

I remember the first time I met John. He was the life of the party and made the BEST chokochippee cookies (how however ya spell it!) EVER! He was the best cook too. Most fireman are!!:p

John was the epitome of a good friend. I loved going head to head with him. While we didn't always see eye-to-eye, he had a great sense of humor that made whatever it was causing you heartache go away. He always loved a good debate, too.

RIP sweet man. You had a lot of good friends who are gonna miss you!! :(:( I'm one of them.:( Be assured that your furfriends will be well cared for!;):(

Thanks for starting this thread, Staci.

carole
12-16-2010, 03:24 PM
Oh my gosh i am in shock, i did not know Phred had passed away, i have been a bit absent from PT, i am so sad to read this, he was indeed a very special person, i loved reading his threads,and he was always so supportive to me and everyone, just reading this memorial thread, is amazing, i had no idea of the things you did for people, RIP dearest Phred, you are so very very much missed by me and everyone here.:love::love:

K9soul
12-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Phred was Pet Talk's heroic knight in shining armor when it came to taking action on behalf of those in need. He was absolutely relentless when it came to gathering up needed information, checking on the status of situations and getting answers. His sincerity in his prayers and words of encouragement was so very pure and honest. In any crisis, you could not help but feel some relief and peace in your heart as you read his prayers, words of compassion and comfort towards both human and pet. With any loss, he was there, and he hurt along with you at your grief and loss.

When someone else was suffering a loss or hardship and I would check back for Phred's soothing words to whomever it may be, feeling some relief when he had because he had a special ability to bring comfort to those who are hurting. He was always ready to give of himself, I think that is what made him happiest.

I just can't seem to think anymore at the moment. He touched my life though I never met him in person. He must have touched hundreds of lives.

Laura's Babies
12-16-2010, 07:18 PM
I have to share this one with you. When that Johnny Walker business was going on, Kev called me one day and asked me if I knew who John Mxxxxx was. At first I didn't and asked him why? He said the Livingston Parish Sheriffs Department called him and asked him if he knew a John Mxxxxx in Ohio (I think it was) and Kevlin said he told them he didn't know who that was and asked "why?".... Kev went to telling me that the deputy told him that this guy called them up from another state, ranting on the horrible abuse that poor dog had suffered and warned them that he would be staying in touch about this and watching this close and they BETTER arrest the kids who did this and on and on he went off over the phone with the deputy expressing his outrage that nobody was in jail already where there was a eye witness to what happened. It hit me and I busted out laughing and told Kev.. "KEV, THAT'S PHRED!! It's PHRED!!!!". That phone call sure stirred up a hornets nest at the sheriffs department and that is when they realized that story was no longer a local story and have spread all over like wildfire! And I think he was true to his word and kept calling for updated on the status of the arrests.. PHRED turned up the heat on that Sheriffs department like I don't think they ever saw or expected... That is how he was, always on top of things, doing whatever he had to, to make his opinion known and ALWAYS on the side of the animals 100%.

He has truly earned his place in Heaven and they are probably fitting him for his wings already. His assignment will be to watch over the animals still here on earth and help the ones that need helping..

A weird thing happened to me today and it made me wonder.... I was on my way to town, in my van alone. The sun was shining outside, it was a beautiful day. Suddenly the back of my neck felt a breeze and droplets of water. That has never happened to me before... there was NO way there was a breeze behind me much less any dampness. I immediately thought of Phred and I asked out loud, "Phred? Is that you? I know you are there and we ALL are going to miss you!"...

I sometimes "feel" things but why he choose me, I don't know or understand but I believe it was him. Call me crazy or read into this what you will. You draw your own conclusions.

Edwina's Secretary
12-16-2010, 07:25 PM
Here is Dear Phred (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=15656&highlight=Dear+Phred)
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg23/EdwinaandEddie/Clamjuice.jpg

With love,

Blondie, Curlie, HH and Basement Boy

slick
12-16-2010, 07:29 PM
On that same Cali trip that Staci is referring to I was there. I remember when Phred called and the phone was passed around. It was handed to me and I was really nervous to speak to him. I felt like I was talking to God himself. I could hardly get two words out.:o:o

He tracked everyone, everywhere. When Gini and I decided to head to Ho-Hi-Ho for the Finday get together in May of 2008 I remember, again, being so nervous to meet him in person and in all honesty, he was one of the main reasons I decided to go. I knew then that he had health issues and I wanted the pleasure of knowing him in person. He sent me a PM after I got back home. I'm so glad I went.

Glad you made it back Home!!
REALLY glad you & Mom made it to OhHiHo ...
had me fooled! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/tongue.gif

Then there was Christmas 2005 when I sent him a little fire truck engine for an ornament. Here's the response I got back...
Wha's inna lil Box, Dad?
An Where'd it come frum - der'z a il CROWN onna label??
KANADA ?? (wow!)
Hey! It'z Sandy Klawz inna FireFighter U-neeform!
NEAT-O!!

Dear Slick ~
He IS **CUTE** - MANY Thanks!!
Since we got no TREE - where's he gonna go?
Not to worry ~ Years ago My Sis sent me a BIG (3 feet long)
Wooden Toy Fire Truck that sits on the fireplace
mantle year-round ...
Your Santa & the Rescued Cat are now
"riding on" the mantle Ladder Truck!!

THANKS again, Slick!! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif
/s/ with a {{{HUG}}}
Phred & the FurKids

It's hard to imagine that Pet Talk will see no more written words by this wonderful guy.

RIP Phred. Save a place for me at God's table, OK? :love::love:

tatsxxx11
12-16-2010, 07:32 PM
Phred was Pet Talk's heroic knight in shining armor when it came to taking action on behalf of those in need. He was absolutely relentless when it came to gathering up needed information, checking on the status of situations and getting answers. His sincerity in his prayers and words of encouragement was so very pure and honest. In any crisis, you could not help but feel some relief and peace in your heart as you read his prayers, words of compassion and comfort towards both human and pet. With any loss, he was there, and he hurt along with you at your grief and loss.

When someone else was suffering a loss or hardship and I would check back for Phred's soothing words to whomever it may be, feeling some relief when he had because he had a special ability to bring comfort to those who are hurting. He was always ready to give of himself, I think that is what made him happiest.

I just can't seem to think anymore at the moment. He touched my life though I never met him in person. He must have touched hundreds of lives.

You said it all, and so beautifully, Jess. He touched all of our lives here at Pet Talk, human and furry, and countless others we will never know.

We love you Phred, dear precious friend.

shais_mom
12-16-2010, 09:19 PM
A weird thing happened to me today and it made me wonder.... I was on my way to town, in my van alone. The sun was shining outside, it was a beautiful day. Suddenly the back of my neck felt a breeze and droplets of water. That has never happened to me before... there was NO way there was a breeze behind me much less any dampness. I immediately thought of Phred and I asked out loud, "Phred? Is that you? I know you are there and we ALL are going to miss you!"...

I sometimes "feel" things but why he choose me, I don't know or understand but I believe it was him. Call me crazy or read into this what you will. You draw your own conclusions.

There is no doubt in my mind that he did. I just told Zippy-kat that "I bet he is visiting anyone and everyone that he couldn't visit or meet in real life" she replied "he is gonna rack up some Frequent Flier miles!" :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-16-2010, 09:28 PM
When I think of Phred, the 3 things that stick out most in my mind are clam juz, California Fireman and the prayer pups.

The Clam Juz was SO hilarious! :D

I can't believe he actually pulled the California Fireman off - what a thrill we all got at Gini's when they pulled up! :D

And the Prayer Pups were ALWAYS there for those in need. They were always there when a PT'er was in need....I'm still so sad. :(

cyber-sibes
12-16-2010, 10:48 PM
I can't find the thread about fire extinguishers, but I know it's out there somewhere. This is from a couple of years ago. We were discussing what to do if you have an old fire extinguisher and you aren't sure if it works anymore.Um, that would be when I almost burned our house down- JoJoe was in RI at the time. Oh my gosh, I was so shook up. Phred called and walked me through the whole process - I was so grateful for his guidance.

I was looking back at all the picnic pictures while writing a Memorial for him on my blog (http://sscyber-sibes.blogspot.com/2010/12/to-phred-cherished-friend.html), and I couldn't help but smile while I cried. I wasn't sure what to write, but had Staci's post in mind:

I just had a thought that warms my heart.
Can you just IMAGINE the Rainbow Bridge right now? All PET TALK pets and many many others I'm sure rushed him when he arrived.
I started typing and these words poured out:

Yesterday there was a mob scene at the Rainbow Bridge. One of furkind's most beloved friends arrived at the gate on "God's Silver Kloud", our dear friend Jon, fondly know as "Phred". There were tails wagging, excited yipping & yapping, and many many licks placed on his ole' face fur sure!

"Phred rescued me!" says Bowser, the little husky mix. "Me too!" chimes in another, and another, and another. "Phred planted a tree in my honor!" "Oh yes, there are many trees" cried several more pups. "And a bench, and a shelter" "Phred calls my people & checks in on them", and "Phred's Prayer Pups prayed fur every one of us at one time or another."......

I loved his stories, and its heartwarming to remember them here--he touched so many lives! I'm very grateful to have spent time with him at the PT picnics & the Husky Hikes during the years we lived in Findlay. There'll always be a special place in my heart for our dear friend-- the wizard behind the curtain, the go-to guy who got things DONE. God bless you, Jon, be at peace.

captain
12-17-2010, 04:27 AM
My first Phred encounter was Cinder wants to keep the stray she found (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=3850&highlight=cinder+found+dog),

OMGoodness, it still makes me laugh ....

I loved reading his posts, and even tho they got a little less as the years went by, they sure were fantastic.
I loved getting the Christmas cards each year, and reading his special message on the back - I have kept every one :)

One in a million Phred, truly you were.
Love
M

P.S. If you want to come back and visit me on this big ol dirt ball, feel free. We never met, but I wished we had ...

lizbud
12-17-2010, 10:21 AM
I remember when I went to my first Pet Talk meeting in Findley, Phred
was so patient with me, giving directions to the Park, helping me with maps
etc,etc. I seem to be directionally challenged & can't make more than two turns
before I become hopelessly lost & can't tell North from South.:rolleyes:

I was pretty nervous going so far from home & not really "knowing" anyone
except throught cyber messages, but Phred was like a rock with a soothing
calm about him & never got upset with me. By the time I arrived, I felt pretty
much at home & very welcome there. Smokey & I had a great time.:)

kb2yjx
12-17-2010, 03:08 PM
I was on the pet t candles and clicked one of the candles, and what a shock to read the message that Phred was gone!!! He was one special fellow!!! Sleep softly dear Phred...

AdoreMyDogs
12-17-2010, 04:07 PM
I first met Phred back in '03 I believe, at the Findlay gathering. I remember Graham, my sweet little dog, took an immdediate liking to Phred. Graham would sit his little butt down in front of Phred, and his little stubble tail would be wagging @ 100 mph, carving a little "tail angel" in the dirt. Phred was so charmed by Graham, and the feeling was mutual. He'd dip his hand into his treat bag, pull out a cookie for Graham, Graham would give a little bark and beg for another. Phred would just laugh and kept giving him one after another. I had to tell Phred that Graham was going to get diarrhea from all the cookies. Phred could NOT say no to Graham. Seriously, his heart was so full of love that he had to keep that doggie of mine happy.

I only went to a few PT gatherings, but as soon as I took the dogs to the dog area, Graham scoped out Phred, sat in front of him, and started making tail angels in the dirt staring up at Phred and begging the way he knew Phred could not resist. I got a kick out of how much Graham loved Phred, and also how hard Graham's persistant attention was hard for Phred to resist. He was such an adorable man.

I will never forget a few years ago, Quinn was a baby, and my sister-in-law picked up this little basset/beagle puppy that was dumped in a bad neighborhood, and he was litterely in the middle of the road. Phred helped orchestrate "Woody's" big plane trip from here to his new home in PA. I could not have done it without his help. We ran into all kinds of problems with the airlines while trying to fly Woody to PA, and Phred would talk to the right people and use the right tone of voice and, with his persistant, tenacious help, we FINALLY were able to fly Woody to PA. He was one tough cookie with the softest, most gentle spirit.

I wish he was not gone. I can't even stand the thought of never reading his delightful posts. I am so deeply moved that he wanted some ashes to be spread at Findlay Dog Park. He had such an impact on all of us, but we, also, had a huge, life-changing impact on him. I'm glad to have known him.

Karen
12-18-2010, 12:17 PM
Too many memories to decide which ones to write down right away.

Arriving at the dog park in Findlay, and he was often there before us. Cinder and Smoke would be tied to that tree while he got all the supplies out, and when we got there, we'd greet him and them, but sometimes if we humans were talking, the dogs felt ignore and would chime in! "Awww, hush!" he'd tell them.

We'd also be the last ones to leave with him - as we drove out and stayed in Findlay overnight - and we'd keep on talking for almost ever, just sitting and chatting while everything got packed up. Even the first time we met in person, we were already old friends.

Many, many times we'd talk on the phone, when some issue or another came up. And when he was hospitalized last year, I remember calling the hospital to talk to him, and when the woman somewhat formally asked "Are you a relative?" I replied, "Well, he often calls me 'Mom....' even though he's older than me ... " and she was surprised, laughed and put me through to him without any further questions. He got a chuckle when I told him how I got through.

So many people he helped, just because he could. His "how to post pictures" thread is where I have pointed countless newcomers. Late night phone calls, contacting resources for folks, and of course, he was the "junior moderator" when Paul and I went to China for a week in 2001. He did a fine job, but worried too much that something was gonna go wrong on his watch, so was not upset when we 'demoted' him after we got back and things settled back down.

He will be missed, but then again, he is such a part of this community that he will still be here, in his funny posts, and in all our memories, for years and years to come.

Bengalz
12-18-2010, 05:03 PM
I have never personally met Phred but will surely miss him:(. His generosity and consideration for all who knew him and for all who did not know him was truly a gift.

I have read and re-read so many of his posts and cannot express the joy he has brought on so many occasions. Tears of laughter are a predominant memory of Phred for me.

Something that stays with me persistently is the many times he was encouraged to publish a book of all his 'tails'. I wish I had the talent to do such a thing in his memory because what a wonderful tribute it would be to share. Both he and John had a wonderful wit beyond imagination - perhaps they will now collaborate up there on the Bridge - what a team!!

It delights me to think about Phred surrounded by all of our little furry babies, being loved and pampered - nothing in this world could be finer than that picture in my mind.

Phred - you rocked on the ole dirt ball and now you're rockin the Rainbow Bridge - and doing a fine, fine job, I'm sure :love:.

Rest sweetly,
Betty

krazyaboutkatz
12-19-2010, 12:30 AM
I remember what a hit those firemen were and how we all passed Phred around on the phone! LOL

Yes, I have very fond memories of that day too.:) This was the only time that I talked to him on the phone. I also read his stories about his cat Boots and also the Bowzer story. There will never be another Phred but his memories will last forever.:)

anna_66
12-19-2010, 11:55 AM
I have so many memories of Phred and our times at the park. I'll share some of those when I have more time, but this is one of my most special memories of him...when he posted in Angus's memorial thread on his birthday.

<the Prayer Line **RINGS**>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smoke! Da Prayer Line is <RINGIN>!
Well, ANSWER IT - mite be God needin sumpin...

"Hellowwww...??"
Oh, HI, GranMom! How'z ya doin??
Good ta hear frum ya!! ...

Why SURE, put him on... we'll type it rite out and
get it onna line...
---------------------------------------------

HI, Mom an Dad ~ It's da BIG Kid - Angus...

Callin ta say "Howdee", an that I sure do
MISS you guyz, an Roxey an Huney, too!

But dont be sheddin no tearz - I'z *FINE* now!!
Allua Achez & Painz are gone;
an I finally figgured out theze krazy Angel Wingz!

Oh, affore I fuget - sister Keisha sendz Her Love!
She met me atta Bridge when I stepped offa Silvur Klouwd Express -
an we've been pallin around eber since!

THANKS fur all da Birfday Wishez!
An da Memory Kandil - I spotted dat *Glowin* inna Howze window
when I woke up dis mornin!

Phunnie Thing - da GranMomz are cookin up a HUGE Birfday Kake fur
my D-Day Partee tonite.. and GOD kame ober ta *taste* da icin...
HE sed ~ LOOKIT ALL doze Kandilz!!

Now HE's got allua *Spotty Fiur Dawgs* "standin by" -
so's we don't burn da Bridge down when we Lite Em UP tonite!
*LOOK UP* inna Sky tonite - jest aftur dark -
You'll see da *GLOW*!

Tell Rokey an Huney it'z "OK" ta play wiff my Big Red Ball -
I tink I'z gettin a New Wun ta play wiff up here az a Birfday Gift!

So DAT'z where my Blue Wun is...

NUTZ! Furgot ta pack it! Alluz *liked* dat wun!
Da Gurlz up here all say I look inna Band anna Bamdanna -
so I keep wearin em!

Hey DAD!
I'z a lil *wurried* bout You!
We alluz knew I couldn't hang around furr-ebber down there ~
Us FurKids come up here a lil urlee so'z we can learn all about Heavin -
then WE can guide You an Mom around when you guyz come Up -
wuldint *DO* to have ya Up Here feelin Lonelee.

I'll be here at da Bridge (wiff Keisha at my side) ta *meet* ya
whenever you're ready...
So Pleeze don't be Sheddin No Ttears ...
Jest 'member allua Wunnerful Tymes we shared!!
There sure were a LOTTA Phunn Tymes, weren't there, Dad!!

THANKS Agin fur da Lovely Birfday Wishez, Mom an Dad!!
Sendin you BOTH a Big Angus {{{HUG}}} anna SchluRRpie KISS!
Anna *Brudderly KISS* fur Roxey an Huney, too!!

/s/ da BIG Kid, Angus
--------------------------------------------------

Cinder here ~ We gotz it ALL Down, Angus!
Bee onna PT Wire inna minnit!

An affore we sine off ~~

HAPPIE Birfday,
Big Guy!!
WE miss ya too, Angus!

*Forwarded* By: the Prayer Pups

Taz_Zoee
12-19-2010, 12:32 PM
As I said before I never really "interacted" with Phred. But I looked back on Taz's memorial thread and of course there was Phred's post #10. It brought tears to my eyes all over again. Just as the previous post for Angus did too.
I'm sure I'll spend some more time searching Phred's posts. It helps me feel like he's not really gone.

Freckles
12-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Same here. Only chatted with Phred a few times by email, but he kept track of all the pets and remembered Freckles when she passed in 2007. I'll never forget him.

*LabLoverKEB*
12-19-2010, 02:11 PM
I only wish I had gotten the chance to meet this dear sweet man in person... Phred was an absolutely WONDERFUL man, indeed an angel....

He never hesitated to help out a PT'er, or anyone for that matter- in need. Always sending out prayers, helping with finances when any one of our beloved furkids were sick and needed expensive medical procedures, and always the one to make us laugh! He had the best stories. His posts were always so entertaining, I loved the way he typed, it was so cute!

RIP Phred, we all love you and miss you!:love::love::love:

zippy-kat
12-19-2010, 02:20 PM
I've been slow to respond, in part because of grief, in part because every little interaction seems to hold significance, now. The last time I talked to him, we were on the phone for 3-4 hours (I kid thee not), recalling old times, old pets, and just everything in general. Specifically, I remember him telling me about how, when he was younger, he hauled one of "his" (actually, it was his then-spouse's) horses to a show. Poor ol' Phred and the horse didn't get along worth a flip to begin with and wracked up quite the adventure (to the tune of the horse-trailer door coming open on the interstate). Everything ended well and oh, how he laughed (something I'm sure he wasn't doing at the time)!

We had to have our oldest boxer, Sara, put to sleep the Friday before Phred passed. The only thing I could say then was, "What a GOOD dog." The only thing I can think of to say now -about our Phred- is, "What a GOOD man." For every good thing he did "public," there were a million-and-one done in private.

We will miss our Phred. :(

shais_mom
12-19-2010, 10:51 PM
after not sleeping worth a hoot last night, going to church today, and having a family Christmas today I was utterly and completely exhausted as I was driving home I was very sad b/c I couldn't call you. That was a ritual for a long long time. I would call you on my way home from my parents house. I'm almost tempted to call you're cell phone to listen to your voicemail but I am not sure I could handle that.

trayi52
12-20-2010, 06:19 AM
Oh my God, I also was not aware that Phred had passed away! I knew he was sick and in the hospital, but did not know he was that sick.

He was such a dear man. He always sent me a Christmas card every year. I am so sorry to see him go. I don't think there was ever a kinder person than Phred. I will miss all his threds and him too. I have such a knot in my throat right now, that is something I don't do is cry, but I think I am going to cry this day.

Willie:(

MonicanHonda
12-20-2010, 12:33 PM
I remember showing up to all the memorial and labor day parties and he was always the one out there cooking, helping set up. He was always one of the first there. And it amazed me how close he was to every single person there. It amazed me that such great friendships were made over animals. I loved, and do love, every minute of it.

RICHARD
12-20-2010, 01:01 PM
Tomorrow night there will be a total eclipse of the moon.

I don't think the weather will allow most of us to see it.......But, I always could count on Phred to comment about Eclipses, astronomy or the shuttle flights.
I was hoping to get a chance to see it, I know Phred would have said something like, "It's too durn cold to go out and see it.....":eek::D

He'll have a front row seat for tomorrow night's spectacle.

I am jealous.:(;):)

Vette
12-20-2010, 05:06 PM
Saying just RIP doesnt feel like enough for all the times i read his stories. the way he wrote them would make me laugh or smile. whether he knew it or not his heart an personality of gold shown right through. i sure am going to miss him. he was someone i would liked to have known in real life.

Alysser
12-20-2010, 05:37 PM
I will admit I never really "interacted" with Phred either, in the few times I did though, he was so nice. I remember posting a thread about Mikey loving a dog that was up for adoption and he asked me why this wasn't an introduction thread then :p He is obviously very missed. I will also say the first post I ever read was his "Bowser Adoption" post, that is a true testament to his love for animals and the people of this forum.

MoonandBean
12-21-2010, 11:00 AM
I never had the honor to meet him either but always loved his posts and LOVE how he jumped in and got the ball rolling to help Jonny Walker. I was sitting here reading this thread and have my ipod on shuffle. "Crying" by Roy Orbison started playing. How appropriate. I know that the prayer pups sent my Bean home to me. Thank you Phred!

>riiiiiing<

Herrow, God's Howze, Bowser speakin ...

BOWZ? We wz dialin Boots, da KAT, over inna KAT Dept.

I'm pickin up their calls - they's all over onna Bridge *lookin*.

Ooooh ... We wanted to leave a note fur God about a missin Kitty.

WHO dat?

Bean - belongs to MoonAndBean ... missin fur a while now.

BEANER?? - THAT's who they're all onna Bridge *lookin* fur!
God went over to da 'Lektrik Shop to turn on s'more Stars to help wiffa search.

OK ... Ask 'em to keep a sharp eye out fur him.
Is God gettin allua Purrrayers fur Bean?

There's so many Kandils burnin fur Bean that the Fiur Guys parked a
pumper in frunta da Chapel ...

OK - tell God we 'preciate allua Help.
Thanks, Bowz - an say HI to Boots fur us.

DONE, Gang!!

Taz_Zoee
12-21-2010, 11:59 AM
I am keeping up with everyone's posts here and each and every time I end up with my eyes filled with tears. Especially Staci's last post. :( And then Deb's post about Bean. He was so special to everyone is a different way.

emily_the_spoiled
12-21-2010, 12:14 PM
I haven't been on PT much lately so I missed everything. But I am sitting here with LES remembering Bootz, clam juize, Pup Prayers, Bowzer, and all the things Phred did for people.

As Linus says "You are a good man Charlie Brown", well Phred (John) was a good man and provided support for many of us during difficult times. You will be missed :(

cassiesmom
12-21-2010, 02:01 PM
Last night I woke up around 3 AM and couldn't get back to sleep. Tossing and turning, so I started thinking about all the special people of PT. This occurred to me... I don't know if St. Peter is really the "gatekeeper" of heaven, but I'm pretty sure a scene similar to this took place when all the Rainbow Bridge dogs realized Phred had arrived. I bet St. Peter handed Phred a huge package of dog treats and welcomed Phred to heaven... and Phred was surrounded! A comforting thought in the small hours of a cold morning.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt95/wolfQU2/Random/phred4.jpg

shais_mom
12-23-2010, 01:36 PM
I know you are up there right now watching over Keegan while she's in surgery. And you will sit with her tonight while she is at the vet.
Thank you!

Lori Jordan
12-24-2010, 10:55 AM
I know you are up there right now watching over Keegan while she's in surgery. And you will sit with her tonight while she is at the vet.
Thank you!

Genuine people like Phred never leave,there always around watching over everyone.I am so sorry for your guys loss i could see how much of a bond you all had with Phred by reading all your posts back and forth.Im so sorry for your loss.

shais_mom
12-24-2010, 07:37 PM
This poem was written by a 13 year old boy who died of a brain tumor that he had battled for four years. He died on December 14, 1997. He gave this to his mom before he died. His name was Ben.

My First Christmas in Heaven
I see the countless
Christmas trees
around the world below
With tiny lights, like Heaven's stars,
reflecting on the snow

The sight is so spectacular,
please wipe away the tear
For I am spending Christmas with
Jesus Christ this year.

I hear the many Christmas songs
that people hold so dear
But the sounds of music can't compare
with the Christmas choir up here.

I have no words to tell you,
the joy their voices bring,
For it is beyond description,
to hear the angels sing.

I know how much you miss me,
I see the pain inside your heart.
But I am not so far away,
We really aren't apart.

So be happy for me, dear ones,
You know I hold you dear.
And be glad I'm spending Christmas
with Jesus Christ this year.

I sent you each a special gift,
from my heavenly home above.
I sent you each a memory
of my undying love.

After all, love is a gift more precious
than pure gold.
was always most important
the stories Jesus told.

Please love and keep each other,
my Father said to do.
I can't count the blessing or love
has for each of you.

So have a Merry Christmas and
Wipe away that tear
Remember, I am spending Christmas with
Jesus Christ this year

cyber-sibes
12-24-2010, 08:44 PM
Staci, that is so beautiful. LES again. Those are amazing thoughts, and truly give my heart a feeling of peace. God bless all our loved ones spending Christmas with Jesus Christ. :love:

shais_mom
12-29-2010, 10:30 PM
You had a wonderful service today. You would be over the moon proud of your friends....

And in keeping with the smiles - MonicaHonda suggested I post this pic :)
:love:

zippy-kat
12-29-2010, 11:21 PM
Staci and I just got off the phone after quite a lengthy (and laughter/tear filled) chat. She thought of a story she wanted to share but suggested I do it instead...

Three years ago, I purchased my first horse. After 20+ years of wanting one and riding others, I FINALLY had my very own. (And there are several "coincidences" that lead me to believe God had a hand -or hoof- in this; that's a story for another time.) Before the "welcome" was posted on PT, I "leaked" the story to a few close friends. And I'm not sure who was more excited, them or me!

At any rate, it turned out that my horse was actually born in Millersburg, Ohio. For some reason, Phred and I were discussing this and the transfer certificate (to register me as the new owner). The next thing I know, I get an email with the subject line: "We're BACK from the (name) Ranch!" LOL To follow was a play-by-play of the day complete with pictures and contact information (in case I had questions for the breeder).

I think the funniest remark in that email (which I still have :love: ), was commentary on the numerous(!!) children at the neighboring ranch: "DAD must like to stay warm in winter."

I also have to laugh because one of the videos (in the other thread) mentioned John being a stickler for details.... in the above mentioned email, he made sure to note that the ranch porch light used a low energy bulb. LOL :D

momoffuzzyfaces
12-30-2010, 06:55 AM
You had a wonderful service today. You would be over the moon proud of your friends....

And in keeping with the smiles - MonicaHonda suggested I post this pic :)
:love:

That's a wonderful pic of Phred. Um, did you notice what some of the dogs were doing? :D

shais_mom
12-30-2010, 08:12 AM
That's a wonderful pic of Phred. Um, did you notice what some of the dogs were doing? :D

yes we commented on that right away back in 2003 or 2004 when it was happening. That's how it came to light. Monica asked if anyone had any pics of that. and I found that one and she said Why isn't this in Phred's thread!~

RICHARD
12-30-2010, 12:44 PM
One memory of Phred and what he did for the BBQ in Ca made me remember this moment...

I guess I am a real fool....

Last year Gini and I were cleaning up the last of the BBQ stuff.

There is a church near by and the hourly bells began to ring...I laughed and looked at Gini and said....It feels like school and now that the bell has rung, it (the BBQ) must be over....

Today as I was placing the chairs and tables into the back of my truck I told Gini that the bells would signal the end of this year's BBQ.

Gini went inside to do something and as I stood there the church bells began to ring......At that moment a huge Monarch butterfly
flew into the yard and made two huge circles of the area where all of us were sitting.....I stood there and listened to the chiming stop.....the butterfly finished the second lap of the yard and just as it flew out of my sight, the howl of a fire truck, in the distance, picked up the salute to the 3rd Annual CA BBQ.....

Serendipity?
Chance?
Coincidence?

I don't know!

It was a funny and touching moment.

Somehow, I knew Phred had something to do with that siren going off at that moment.......

I am sitting here reliving that moment and it's very comforting to be able to smile and relive it.

Phred's not gone.

He alive and well in our hearts and his posts bring him back to us, time and time again.

---------------------

I was a little stunned at how much his illness had changed him. He looked very tired in one picture and it was sad to see him that way.

By the same token?

The photo of Phred in his uni was a great picture. You could see the pride flowing out of him.

----------------

I know he's having a great time now. He's at peace and running the Arrival Gate at the Bridge.

I wonder if he runs the scanner and handles the pat downs too?:D

shais_mom
12-30-2010, 01:20 PM
Oh! Richard! Serious LES here!
The bell rang 8 times at the end of the service yesterday.

anna_66
12-31-2010, 05:36 AM
I was a little stunned at how much his illness had changed him. He looked very tired in one picture and it was sad to see him that way.

By the same token?

The photo of Phred in his uni was a great picture. You could see the pride flowing out of him.

It was hard seeing him like that at the park. During the last one I don't think he was even able to make it down from the pavillion. It was just too rough on him:(

Looking at his fireman picture made me :)

jennielynn1970
01-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Back 2 years or so, Phred, Leslie, K9Karen and I teamed up to save a puppy that was found down by Leslie's house. I wanted a dog, and didn't realize the responsibility involved, but I did find him a good forever home. WOody... That was his name. He went by a few, I believe.

Phred was checking plane landings and take offs, what their routes were and whether it would be safe for the pup to fly since it was December/January and it was COLD. He always kept me in my place and made me be responsible for everything I had to do. I'll always remember that. He was a good man. He helped me find Woody, and although I wasn't ready for the responsiblities for puppyhood and all that went with it, he made me see clearly all that was needed and that I need to be responsible when I found him a new home. I know he was not happy with me, and that broke my heart, because he was such a good guy, and I hate to have someone upset with me.

I'm sorry I let you down Phred, but I did find him a good home, and he's a well taken care of and loved pup. I get photos of him now and then, and he is just ALL BASSETT HOUND!!! He was such a little guy back when I had him, he looked almost all beagle.

You will be missed PHred. You kept this place going, and you kept us on our toes. That will be sorely missed. Your thoughts and prayers will be missed as well. They were the backbone, you were the backbone of our prayer community.

I hope that you are up there looking down on us and taking good care of our Rainbow Bridge babies. I hope my Finae found you and is getting some lovies from you. As well as all the other Pet Talk Bridge babies. I hope you're having a blast up there.

Randi
01-06-2011, 11:31 AM
As we all know, Phred was a gifted writer and a true animal lover, but he was much more than that... he was helpful, compassionate, organized and had an eye for the details. Whenever one of us had a problem, either with our animals or how to get to a place, he would do the research and get the answers.

When I joined PT, Phred’s “gibberish” posts were some of the first I came across. It took some time before I learned to decifer what he was talking about, but after a little while, I couldn’t get enough of his “tails”. He really had a briliant sense of humor! :D

At the time when Phred was an assistant moderator, I PM’ed him with questions about the technical stuff on PT (I had never been a member of any Forum before). I did it to not pester Karen and Paul with silly questons, but mostly because I wanted to get to know Phred better - and it worked. :) I have countless PM’s and e-mails from him, which I treassure.

His cat Boots was blocked up back in 2002 and had an operation, Phred was really worried and he did everything possible to get Boots better. Boots lived until 2007, I believe. Still, he had time to worry about Fister and offer lots of advice, since he had similar problems at the time. The vast information he gave us was very helpful. :)

One time, I had a question about whether my fire distinquiser was too old, and Phred, of course, was the one I turned to, he knew all the answers.

I will always remember the support Phred gave me after John had passed away, he was there for me all the way - along with other PTalkers. That gave me strengh to move on. :)

Sending the firetruck and four firemen to Gini's BBQ in 2005 was really something else - only Phred could have pulled that one off! :D

Phred, John and I were sometimes talking about age (John liked to know the age of the people he was addressing) and in a typical Phred manner, he said this: “I used to fear that middle aged label! Now my worry is How Long can I get away with USING it!” LOL!

I would have loved to meet Phred in person, John and I even talked about attending one of the Findlay gettogethers, but that never happened. I spoke to him on the phone a few times - he had such a nice voice. I could have listened to him forever!

One thing Phred used to say was, that he was a “thread killer”. How could he say such a thing! :eek: His posts were the most popular on PT - he did prefer a thread to keep going, rather than postig new ones all the time.

Phred, we have all had such good laughs - and cries too, you kept us up late and made me burn the dinner, because I just had to read the latest post of yours on PT. You were one of a kind! Your compassion, love for animals and sense of humor shone through each of your posts.

I believe you and John have met by now and are sitting there in the sunshine, giving out treats to all of our departed fur babies - and enjoying a cold beer. :)

Rest in Peace, dear Phred - you were loved and respected more than you could imagine and I will miss you so much! :love:

CountryWolf07
01-06-2011, 11:42 AM
Had a dream last night, even though I never met Phred or his dogs, Cinder and Smoke, his dogs were in my house, hanging out on the couch. He must've sent his dogs to check on me. I just realized that this morning and had to post on here before I forget. I just thought it was interesting! :love:

Vio&Juni
01-09-2011, 02:42 PM
I didn't know Phred had passed away. I was so sad when I started reading this thread and then after going through all the stories and remembering some other of Phred's threads, and remembering his sense of humor and his compassion, I am just glad a person like this existed. He will be missed by so many whose lives he touched.

lute
01-10-2011, 07:27 PM
I never had the pleasure of meeting Phred, but I do remember learning quite a bit from his posts and I adored the way he spelled things. Seemed like such a wonderful caring guy.