PDA

View Full Version : Why does this happen every year at this time?

Medusa
12-13-2010, 08:56 AM
Another outdoor kitty. I was turning off patio room lights and a cat shot out of the shelter like a cannon ball! I put food out for him/her but it was untouched this morning. Last year it was LBK but, fortunately, I found a home for him. We've got a lot of snow and it's still coming and the temp has dropped into the low teens. The shelter is warm and snuggly and has a wind barrier but s/he hasn't been back since last night; no kitty tracks. :(

catmandu
12-13-2010, 09:42 AM
We are praying Mary that your little vistor returns.
Maybe microwaving the dry food workls, it always did with My Porch Cats!!
The smell of warm food always brings out the hungry.
Good Luck with Your Porch Cat , Mary:love::love::love:

Medusa
12-13-2010, 09:46 AM
We are praying Mary that your little vistor returns.
Maybe microwaving the dry food workls, it always did with My Porch Cats!!
The smell of warm food always brings out the hungry.
Good Luck with Your Porch Cat , Mary:love::love::love:

Oh yes, Gary, I nuked the food. My years in rescue taught me well. Apparently, this one is a tough customer. LOL

Taz_Zoee
12-13-2010, 09:46 AM
Hopefully this kitty found another shelter to get out of the weather. And maybe it will be back to your patio soon.
I'm glad we do not have strays around my house, because I would have a house full and probably wouldn't have a boyfriend anymore. :p

Randi
12-13-2010, 09:58 AM
Oh, poor kitty. It's no fun living outside when it's freezing. :( I hope she/he has found a warm shelter somewhere else, or will come back to you.

While we had kitties living in our back yard, someone suggested to put a tiny bit of salt in the water, then it won't freeze.

Good luck, kitty! Hope you end up in a loving warm home! :love:

Medusa
12-13-2010, 10:26 AM
Hopefully this kitty found another shelter to get out of the weather. And maybe it will be back to your patio soon.
I'm glad we do not have strays around my house, because I would have a house full and probably wouldn't have a boyfriend anymore. :p

The shelter is outdoors. My patio room is enclosed and heated but it must have looked like I was right outside the shelter to the kitty b/c I keep it close to the house for warmth.

While we had kitties living in our back yard, someone suggested to put a tiny bit of salt in the water, then it won't freeze.

Now that's a good idea! Thanx, I'm going to try that.

The strays really know how to tug on my heart strings. It seems like they hold out until the really bitter, cold weather comes and during the holidays, too. LBK's story had a happy ending. The year before, Buddy didn't. :( This cat seems really afraid. I don't even know if it's male or female b/c it ran so fast. I'm not even sure of its color; I think it's gray but it was dark so I don't know. Hopefully, s/he'll come back for some warm food.

Freedom
12-13-2010, 10:36 AM
If the kitty hasn't been back for food, water and shelter, then just maybe s/he belongs to someone . . . you know, one of those folks who believe the cat MUST be allowed outside daily. :rolleyes:

Because with the weather you've had in your area, I would think food, shelter and water would be a HUGE draw.

Medusa
12-13-2010, 11:18 AM
If the kitty hasn't been back for food, water and shelter, then just maybe s/he belongs to someone . . . you know, one of those folks who believe the cat MUST be allowed outside daily. :rolleyes:

Because with the weather you've had in your area, I would think food, shelter and water would be a HUGE draw.

Yep, that's what I'm hoping.

Medusa
12-13-2010, 07:08 PM
I just now saw cat tracks, so I warmed up some cat food and was as quiet as I could be but as soon as s/he heard me, s/he took off running again. S/he went clear across the yard. I hope s/he comes back to eat. It's so cold and we're having 35 mph winds right now. The shelter is warm but s/he needs to eat!

Medusa
12-13-2010, 07:25 PM
Hmmm, I just checked again and there are cat tracks leading up to the food dish. Nothing was eaten. So either this cat is being fed elsewhere or s/he doesn't like what's on the menu at my house. :confused:

momcat
12-13-2010, 07:37 PM
Bless you for providing the homeless kitties with a warm shelter and a nice warm meal. I'm asking St. Francis to lead this kitty back to safety and a full tummy if s(he) has nobody to love and care for her/him.

Groucho is sending you lots of purrs and kitty kisses to thank you for helping his fellow kitties in need :love:

kitten645
12-13-2010, 10:51 PM
Mary, you are the kindest purest soul I've known. You have a gift for the feline and spirit sort so I'm sure if s/he is in need s/he will come back to you. It's nature. Kitty will know where it's welcome and safe. Keep the faith. ;)
Claudia & Calvin

Laura's Babies
12-14-2010, 07:20 AM
My bet is that kitty has someone else feeding it and it just comes by for a visit... if it went up to the dish and smelled it, then turned it's nose up at it... it wasn't hungry.

phesina
12-14-2010, 02:12 PM
God bless you, Mary.

:love::love::love::love::love::love:

lizbud
12-14-2010, 05:19 PM
It kinds of sounds like a feral cat. I don't know but, do you think a tame
cat, if it were cold & hungry, would run from a human that offered food? They
are super smart & probably would have "connected" the food outside with
the human nearby.:confused:

Mary, are you leaving wet food or dry food? The frigid weather has sure
changed the schedule of my three front porch cats. Only the young Tuxie
boy next door is the only one to show up for food for the last three days.

I leave both dry & wet food out & the wet food freezes up hard as a rock.

Medusa
12-14-2010, 06:25 PM
It kinds of sounds like a feral cat. I don't know but, do you think a tame
cat, if it were cold & hungry, would run from a human that offered food? They
are super smart & probably would have "connected" the food outside with
the human nearby.:confused:

Mary, are you leaving wet food or dry food? The frigid weather has sure
changed the schedule of my three front porch cats. Only the young Tuxie
boy next door is the only one to show up for food for the last three days.

I leave both dry & wet food out & the wet food freezes up hard as a rock.

Yes, I leave both wet and dry as well. I bring the wet in and nuke it if I see it hasn't been touched but it doesn't seem to make a difference so I'm going to put out only dry and see if that works but it doesn't have a strong smell so it probably won't attract him/her. If it's feral, I would think it would keep coming back to the shelter but it only comes occasionally. Same scenario as last year: my patio furniture is bundled and tarped and I saw cat trax going underneath. I don't get that. It's cold cement and yet there's a warm shelter w/blankets inside and it's covered w/a heavy tarp and it has a wind barrier but s/he only goes in there occasionally. :confused:

Medusa
12-14-2010, 06:47 PM
Rats! I have the worst timing! I was just about to put out fresh food and s/he spotted me and took off. I hope s/he'll come back and eat and not let the food freeze. I got a better look this time. It's a dark gray, I think tiger cat and tiny. Not a kitten but young. Poor thing.