PDA

View Full Version : No winter yet here- what about where you are?

Pembroke_Corgi
12-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Denver weather is full of ups and downs- we usually get dumped with a bunch of snow which will melt a couple of days later. By now we usually have had a few good snows, which probably will have melted, but we still should have had them.

We haven't had any snow this year! (Except for a few dustings last month). It's been in the 60s, which isn't completely unheard of this time of year, but it's unusual how long the warm weather has lasted. Except for a cold spell around Thanksgiving, we have had warm temperatures. A few days ago it nearly reached 70 degrees! I don't mind the warmer temperatures too much but I worry about excessive drought with no snow since most of our moisture comes from snowfall.

What's the weather like where you are?

Barbara
12-08-2010, 01:54 PM
We had lots and lots of snow last week- but right now temperatures are in the 50s. But the snow is not all gone yet and from tomorrow there is more to come. I cannot remember having that much snow before Christmas for decades. Usually the biggest snow time for us is January and February.

davidpizzica
12-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Denver weather is full of ups and downs- we usually get dumped with a bunch of snow which will melt a couple of days later. By now we usually have had a few good snows, which probably will have melted, but we still should have had them.

We haven't had any snow this year! (Except for a few dustings last month). It's been in the 60s, which isn't completely unheard of this time of year, but it's unusual how long the warm weather has lasted. Except for a cold spell around Thanksgiving, we have had warm temperatures. A few days ago it nearly reached 70 degrees! I don't mind the warmer temperatures too much but I worry about excessive drought with no snow since most of our moisture comes from snowfall.

It looks like out east here we're having the winter weather you should be having! Around lakes Erie and Ontario they've lake effect snows of up to 3 FEET of snow already. That's too much and almost dangerous. In my area of Pennsylvania we have some 8" on the ground right now with a lull over the weekend and starting over next week.

Freedom
12-08-2010, 03:03 PM
No snow here, yet. Expected Sunday.

We are in the Arctic Chill, have been for 3 days nad it is taying around for a few more days. The "high" has been 24, but the wind! The wind chill has been as low as 14, Brrrrrrr.

It is sunny and bright out, :cool: teasing the dogs, so they wanna go out for walkies!

Medusa
12-08-2010, 03:38 PM
Uh yeah. Snow, wind and 26 degrees. Cleveland is far worse b/c of the lake effect. The Boy doesn't even want to come home for the holiday. It's 75 in L.A. right now.

Donnaj4962
12-08-2010, 04:06 PM
We've been getting lake effect snow for several days now, with maybe a couple of inches of accumulation. But the highs have only been around 21, and the windchill has been close to zero! Brrrr. The news keeps saying MUCH more snow is on the way, but they don't say how much or when.

mrspunkysmom
12-08-2010, 07:50 PM

We need to trade weather systems. We still haven't had the snow, though.

70 degrees sounds lovely

RICHARD
12-08-2010, 07:55 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/38/Sno_cone.jpg/250px-Sno_cone.jpg

This is the closest we get in Cah lee Fuh nee Ah!:rolleyes::confused:;)

Kfamr
12-08-2010, 08:22 PM
I'm a total Floridian. It's in the 40's here and I can't take it. I'll take back the humid hot weather any day.

chocolatepuppy
12-08-2010, 08:26 PM
Light Snow
22°F
Feels Like: 13°

^^^
From my local weather, right now! About 8" of snow already.:D

Alysser
12-08-2010, 08:34 PM
No snow here yet, but it's been cold. It's in the low 20's here right now, and in the mornings/afternoons it's in the low 30's. We have not got any snow yet though.

Vette
12-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Our weathers been wonky too. some days its stays 30°F an other days it hovers at 15°F but we have almost 4" of snow already. id gladly switch places with you :p

Catherinedana
12-09-2010, 07:14 AM
I'm a total Floridian. It's in the 40's here and I can't take it. I'll take back the humid hot weather any day.

You said it Girlfreeend!!! I'm frozen solid!! Waaaaah! :(

Grace
12-09-2010, 07:42 AM
5.4 degrees Fahrenheit right now :D

lizbud
12-09-2010, 09:21 AM
5 degrees this morning going up to maybe 20 this afternoon if the sun stays
around.:) We've had 3 1/2 inches of snow so far and more promised for this
weekend. Indy has been having temps running about 20 degrees below normal
so far & it's not even offically winter yet.

Karen
12-09-2010, 09:43 AM
We've had no snow here yet - there was some where Paul was on Monday, but it did not make it just two towns east to me, but it has been nice and cold. I like it, actually - no pollen, no mosquitos ...

Taz_Zoee
12-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Well, like Richard said, we don't see much snow here in Cali. Except up in the mountains (we will be going to Tahoe in January, woo hoo!!!).
We had some rain the past few days and last night the weather report was that it could get up into the lower 70's this weekend. I don't mind that one bit. :D Ya'll can keep your snow, I'll just come visit. :)

k9krazee
12-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Still no snow here. It's been COLD lately and if it's going to be that cold, I'd rather have some snow on the ground to go with it!

anna_66
12-09-2010, 02:30 PM
I'd take your weather any day!

Today we were lucky and the high is 27degrees. We have snow on the ground but since the temps are a little warmer it's starting to melt. I hear we have some sort of a front coming in, but they're not sure how much snow we will get. It might be most rain:rolleyes: I'll take the snow!

BitsyNaceyDog
12-09-2010, 05:26 PM

I love it, for the most part. My only problem with the cold is it's been in the 20's here at night and our heat is broken. Yesterday morning it was 44° IN MY HOUSE! My poor kids are wearing several layers of clothes and hats inside. While Nathan was at school I went shopping with Topher just so we could be in the warm store. The heat should be fixed next week and then I will be loving this weather so much more.

mrspunkysmom
12-09-2010, 05:56 PM
And the long term forecast has us freaking cold through next week! :mad: I had heard from a forecaster that this was supposed to be a warmer than usual winter for us.

Oh well, forecasting is still more statistics than science.

BRRRRRRRR

The old kerosene heater died Tuesday night. The mechanism that raises and lower the wick broke and the wick can't even get fed from the tank.

I bough a new one last night and I'm still trying to break it in.

I've got my radiating heaters on too.

Karen
12-09-2010, 08:22 PM
Supposed to be 12 degrees here tonight. It is truly winter. Put out our last leaf bags for the season, it's not that the oaks have finished dropping leaves, but the city stops picking up "yard waste" after this week until spring. The oaks drop a few leaves at a time all winter.

Sonia59
12-10-2010, 02:58 AM
We had a lot of snow for the area on Wed. (between 10 and 30 cm - did not happen for many years); As usual, it was a giant mess, all cars were stuck and people slept at work, in cars, etc... It's always the same here, people do not pay attention to recommendations and think they can behave as if it was summer, then they are stuck with a few centimeters and they rant when they don't have assistance in the next minute :rolleyes:

Must be the same snow than went to Germany the next day.

It was beautiful to see a lot of snow here, and gave a holiday feeling :) We made a snowman.

ramanth
12-11-2010, 09:42 AM
It's been cold mainly and we got a little less than an inch on Friday here in Mid-Michigan. I know Grand Rapids/West Michigan got a lot of that lake effect this past week.

We're forecasted to get a lot of snow tonight and tomorrow, but we'll see. :)

Suki Wingy
12-11-2010, 05:27 PM
The snow has been falling all day! It's actually really annoying. This morning I brushed a few inches off my car and broke up a bunch of ice and then again at around three I brushed off another good few inches.

Karen
12-11-2010, 05:40 PM
It was above freezing for the first time in days, the Charles River is actually starting to freeze over, but I doubt that will last, as we're supposed to get an inch or two of rain tomorrow, because of warm air coming up from the south. We'll then be back to winter temperatures Monday. Hopefully the two weather systems don't collide, because ice storms, while heartachingly lovely, are deadly to both electrical grids, and cars and people.

For those folks who live in warmer climes, rivers are slower to freeze because the water is always moving. When the ocean starts to freeze, then you know it's REALLY winter, as it is not only in motion, but salty, so freezes at lower temps.

krazyaboutkatz
12-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Well, like Richard said, we don't see much snow here in Cali. Except up in the mountains.
We had some rain the past few days and last night the weather report was that it could get up into the lower 70's this weekend. I don't mind that one bit. :D Ya'll can keep your snow, I'll just come visit. :)

Yep. Same here.:)

Kfamr
12-11-2010, 06:08 PM
I love it, for the most part. My only problem with the cold is it's been in the 20's here at night and our heat is broken. Yesterday morning it was 44° IN MY HOUSE! My poor kids are wearing several layers of clothes and hats inside. While Nathan was at school I went shopping with Topher just so we could be in the warm store. The heat should be fixed next week and then I will be loving this weather so much more.

I don't have heat in my house. Sometimes it's warmer outside than it is inside! Last January one of my house plants died it got so cold in here. Horrible insulation or lack of. I'm not sure what the temperature is in my house right now, but I have a long sweater trench coat on and gloves because I'm freezing! Dogs in bed and like ten blankets is a must at night. ;)

anna_66
12-12-2010, 07:17 AM
Kay can't you get one of those little portable heaters? I don't think I could stand not having any heat:eek:

Well winter is pretty much official here. It's our first winter weather advisory.
From 1pm this afternoon 11am Monday. Accumulations will be 2 to 4 inches and we'll have wind gusts up to 35 mph. I can handle the snow, just hate the wind that goes with it!

chocolatepuppy
12-12-2010, 08:03 AM
Yep, Ohio is going to get hit with a winter storm again! This is my local forcast...
... WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 7 AM EST WEDNESDAY... :eek:
Warmed up a day, got most of the ice out of the gutters, here we go again! I better stop in the grocery store after church today! ;)

Asiel
12-12-2010, 08:29 AM
In the middle of a storm right now, supposed to last for the next two days. The temperatures aren't too bad so far -12 but I think it's dropping a little at a time. Gusting winds and blowing snow, expecting 50 cm...

Pembroke_Corgi
12-12-2010, 08:30 AM
Yesterday we got cooler temperatures (upper 30s and windy) and it felt horrible! I'm not used to it yet! But it's supposed to warm up again today and this week.

I wonder when we will get snow? I'm kind of looking forward to it so my daughter can go out and play in it!

kuhio98
12-12-2010, 11:08 AM
We live in Alaska. Winter arrived months ago!
Anyone want to join me at the picnic table? :D

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/kuhio98/Early%20View/January004.jpg

Randi
12-12-2010, 11:55 AM
We've had the winter and snow I need! Bring back summer!!

In my lifetime I cannot remember seeing that much snow and frost starting already in mid november! Finally yesterday, it was all melting, just to get cold again today. When will it stop!! At least the sun is out.

But... in a few weeks time the days get longer again and the sun will rise in the east again rather than the south.

Karen
12-12-2010, 11:59 AM
I don't have heat in my house. Sometimes it's warmer outside than it is inside! Last January one of my house plants died it got so cold in here. Horrible insulation or lack of. I'm not sure what the temperature is in my house right now, but I have a long sweater trench coat on and gloves because I'm freezing! Dogs in bed and like ten blankets is a must at night. ;)

Get yourself a little space heater next time they are on sale ... Make sure it is a "pet safe" one, of course, and keep it away from papers and clothes. Also check for drafts which is not a problem when it's warm out, but in cold weather can make a house seem even colder. Do you know how to do that? If you find any, insulate! (Or ask the landlord to do so!)

Grace
12-12-2010, 12:07 PM
Anyone live in Minnesota? The roof of the Metrodome collapsed this morning -

Video here (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2010/12/12/1871430/metrodome-collapse-roof-video-from-inside)

Karen
12-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Thank goodness no one was hurt. I was really glad to hear that it's an "inflatable" kind of dome, rather than a concrete and steel one that could caue so much harm.

mrspunkysmom
12-12-2010, 02:11 PM
Get yourself a little space heater next time they are on sale ... Make sure it is a "pet safe" one, of course, and keep it away from papers and clothes. Also check for drafts which is not a problem when it's warm out, but in cold weather can make a house seem even colder. Do you know how to do that? If you find any, insulate! (Or ask the landlord to do so!)

My heat is poor too, so I use the oil-filled radiating heaters. And a kerosene heater. I turn all heaters off during the day, but all go on as soon as I get home. And so far the oil-filled heater has been economical. The kerosene is too.

I use Delonghi heaters and HeatMate Kerosene Heaters.

robinh
12-12-2010, 03:07 PM
We had 4-5 inches of snow overnight, but our driveway is clear. The 50 mph gust of wind moved the snow somewhere. But it's cold here...really cold. Our high was supposed to be around 20 with unknown wind chill.

Freckles
12-12-2010, 03:40 PM
No snow here but LOTS of water. This is across the street from where I live.

cassiesmom
12-13-2010, 01:04 PM
It's a beautiful, sunny day in the west 'burbs of Chicago today. It's really cold out (14F) but not as windy as yesterday. But bright and sunny!

I heard on the news that it's 75 in Los Angeles today... wish I could head out there! But it isn't to be.

chocolatepuppy
12-13-2010, 01:45 PM
Cold, snowy and very windy here today. Right now 17* and a wind chill of 4*!:eek: Not a lot of snow accumulation, yet.

Pembroke_Corgi
12-14-2010, 08:47 AM
Still warm here- it's going to be in the mid 60s today. But we are going to get cooler come Thursday, and it's going to feel twice as cold!

kokopup
12-14-2010, 09:26 AM
We are in the middle of an Alberta blast and we are seeing temperatures in the low teens. High yesterday was 32 and about the same again today. When we have this kind of cold it is usually sunny. Right now it is a beautiful sunny day. They are predicting ice maybe by tomorrow. i sure hope the weather people are wrong because ice usually does so much damage to the trees. Many of our trees still have green leaves and the ice although beautiful ends up causing broken limbs and power outage.:(

cassiesmom
12-18-2010, 07:58 PM
I heard on the news that they're predicting serious rain for California. So- Calif. PT'ers, be safe!

We are supposed to get more snow (sigh) Monday night into Tuesday. I have a haircut appointment after work Monday, so I"m hoping it snows late Monday night, overnight. Tuesday rush hour might be messy though.

Pembroke_Corgi
12-19-2010, 12:59 PM
Still no snow or anything here. Going to be around 50 degrees and sunny on xmas...

mrspunkysmom
12-20-2010, 12:03 AM
So this past week was as cold as the week before and WINDY too. WE missed school Thursday because of a wintry mix that iced the northern roads of the county.

It stayed in the 30s during the day and dropped to the low 20s and high teens at night.

Except:

Friday was in the 50s and it felt downright balmy. CRAZY.

Today was cooler but nice enough for me to go out and organize the storage unit. It needed it.

Karen
12-20-2010, 09:15 AM
I am still waiting for the promised flurries!

moosmom
12-20-2010, 10:15 AM
Weather reports are saying to expect snow Christmas Eve and Christmas day. It's bitter cold here. I hope the snow will hold off till I can afford 2 more new tires (bought 2 about 3 months ago).

Karen
12-21-2010, 11:17 PM
I forgot to post - was too excited - we finally got snow! Not a whole lot, just an inch and a half or so (depending on where in the yard you measure, because of wind) but snow! Yay!

cloverfdx
12-22-2010, 05:38 AM
The whole world seems like it has gone a little crazy re: the weather. We have had no Summer at all yet, and most days still need to wear long sleeved clothes :(.

mrspunkysmom
12-25-2010, 09:45 PM
I don't like traveling in snow or ice. I prefer to bunker/hunker down in my house with the kerosene heater going and just enjoy.

Yet bro Joe wanted me to come visit. So I did and now it's snowing on Christmas for the 1st time in 50 years.

And here at the old homestead it's supposed to snow here also.

I'm glad I brought extra clothes.

I'll get pictures if I can.

Karen
12-25-2010, 09:49 PM
Right now the weather folks are in a frenzy, predicting maybe 20 inches of snow from the combined storms coming up the coast. Wonder if that means we'll get 6 inches, or upwards of two feet? It's not supposed to start until midday tomorrow, but we had lots of juncos - a.k.a. snowbirds - in the back yard today (along with a cardinal momma and poppa, some sparrows and a squirrel or two) - so we'll see what happens.

Alysser
12-25-2010, 09:53 PM
Right now the weather folks are in a frenzy, predicting maybe 20 inches of snow from the combined storms coming up the coast. Wonder if that means we'll get 6 inches, or upwards of two feet? It's not supposed to start until midday tomorrow, but we had lots of juncos - a.k.a. snowbirds - in the back yard today (along with a cardinal momma and poppa, some sparrows and a squirrel or two) - so we'll see what happens.

Karen, we're expecting that too. I wish this happened when school was in session. :rolleyes:

krazyaboutkatz
12-26-2010, 12:32 AM
We've been getting a lot of rain. It's supposed to rain again tomorrow and then clear up on Monday. Then it's supposed to rain again for the next few days.

I used to live in S.C. and when I lived there it wouldn't usually snow until Feb. or March. I had heard that S.C. and even Atlanta,Georgia were having a white Christmas. It's nice if you don't have to drive in it. Please be safe and take care everyone.

smokey the elder
12-26-2010, 07:56 AM
We've barely gotten snow flurries, but we're now expecting a Nor'easter. Usually when they keep missing, the one that hits is a doozy!

mrspunkysmom
12-26-2010, 08:35 AM
Wow. I escaped SC to leave the snow behind. And I have even more snow.

It is beautiful. And still snowing. I am not going anywhere.

post Pix later.