PDA

View Full Version : Callie

toughCookie
10-29-2002, 01:37 AM
I edited this post... I'm going to keep the cats... it will work out one way or another. my mother is too attached to Callie already and Im attached to Cassie!

I didn't want to delete the post because it would have deleted all your posts... thank you to all of you.

Miss Meow
10-29-2002, 04:53 AM
Oh no, how sad. I don't have any advice as I've never integrated cats into established clans, but I hope with time they sort themselves out and you can keep Callie. Maybe she has never been with other cats as an adult and hasn't learnt how to interact. I hope someone can help you.

jenluckenbach
10-29-2002, 06:27 AM
How long have you had Calle?(I lose track of time:D ). It can take weeks if not months, in certain cases. Some people jump to the conclusion WAY too early that there cat will not adjust. Of course she will hiss and growl!!! My Sterling HATED every cat that came in after him. Growling for weeks with mistrust, but he always came around to befriend the newcomer. Even my shiest cat Fern, who I also believe might be happier without all the other cats, manages to coexist with them. She'll keep her distance from them but plays and asks for human attention when she wants it. So I do not feel her life is bad. Biddy and Mote fought when Biddy first got here. They were working out the "who's boss" issue, and they are fine with each other now. (just squabbles)

I Know that people will say that certain cats MUST be only cats, All I am saying is don't RUSH into anything. Give it TIME TIME TIME!!

Logan
10-29-2002, 07:20 AM
I don't know if this will make any difference to you, and of course, your decision needs to be based on what works for you. But I was a one-cat household for a long time, having only tried one time before to introduce a kitten (one that was found by a family member). Mimi just couldn't handle it.

Then several years later (almost two years ago), Butter showed up. A full grown "wild" boy. I didn't have the heart to leave him out in the cold. To this day, Mimi hisses at him every time he walks by her. And they do get into their little spats every now and then. But they do co-exist. I've just had to get used to the fact that they will never be best of friends, but they do ok, just avoiding each other at all costs, most of the time.

Maybe some time will help. Put ear plugs in your ears and just let them figure it out. It is certainly not easy, nor is it always pleasant here, but they have survived it, and no one will be going anywhere.

Logan

sasvermont
10-29-2002, 07:59 AM
I would give the new kitty some extra attention - separate from the others - and do the same with the others. At the same time, I would look for another good home for the new kitty just in case you are not comfortable with the outcome.

You know, I am the person who took on Gabe, Pam's daughter's Ragdoll cat that was a bit of a monster cat. And as no one would have predicted, he adjusted to my cats very quickly and nicely, although Miley, my female cat is FINALLY, after 5 months, becoming comfortable with Gabe. Their relationships (all three) with each other have changed and finally settled into a pecking order. You have many cats and know all about it. If you feel the new kitty would be happier with people in a new home, then by all means, I would find it a new home. Word of mouth is a good way to find a new home. I would not take it back to the humane society unless all hell was breaking loose there at the homestead!

I would wait it out just to make sure your observations are accurate and look for a new home at the same time.

Keep us posted.

It is true that some cats need an environment change and it is nothing you can predict or should feel guility about. Cats are cats. They come in all shapes, forms and PERSONAILITIES!

I have three, with three totally different personalities.

SAS

Cataholic
10-29-2002, 01:53 PM
I, too, forget how long you have had them...and I go about integrating them differently. I let there be supervised contact once the new cat has been vet checked, and had a chance to settle into a new room...24 hours is about the average. Then I go for supervised visits...and I speak harshly to my cats if I see any signs of aggression. I know people think this isn't appropriate, but I truly think my cats "know better".

Here, I don't know if you have gone too long without interaction..and everyone is getting too protective of their turf.

Have you thought about a large dog crate...and covering up alot of it for privacy, but give everyone a chance to interact with safety in mind?

toughCookie
10-30-2002, 01:27 AM
I am still thinking, haven't decided yet.

Logan
10-30-2002, 07:53 AM
I was just rethinking your situation, and what I said earlier probably doesn't necessarily apply in your case. I only have two to contend with. With 7, I know your situation is far different than mine.

I hope you can work it out favorably for all of you. Best wishes.

Logan

toughCookie
10-30-2002, 07:30 PM
thanks!:)

trinity
10-31-2002, 11:22 AM
My husband and I have gone thru this a few times, in fact we are still doing so. What we did was put the new one in a room of her own for a few days. Then, and I know this isn't possible for everyone, we have the capabilities to divide our house but still let everyone view each other. Did that for a few days as well. This past Saturday all the doors opened and life has been...interesting to say the least. I know every time we have gone thru this in the past it has been scary. The sounds they can make :eek: we have had only one 'failure' and Sam really is much happier as an only cat (but we have visitation rights!!) All I can say is that I agree with the few people who have said give it time, and I also recommend the ear plugs and a squirt bottle or two.:)

Best of luck!

toughCookie
11-02-2002, 03:28 PM
Im keeping both cats...see my first post, the top of this thread...

jenluckenbach
11-02-2002, 05:05 PM
I am REALLY, REALLY, REALLY GLAD!:D :D :D :D :D :D

Uabassoon
11-02-2002, 05:12 PM
It took a LONG time before I was able to my cats interact with my roomates cat. When I first moved in with her she hated Zasper so much that we couldn't even have them within sight of each other. They were let out on shifts, in the morning I would lock Zasper in my room and Sasha had run of her room and the living room, then in the afternoon Sasha would get locked up and Zasper would come out, we switched the cats every 5 hours or so. We did this for several months and finally the two were able to be in the same room without wanting to kill each other. Sasha never leared to like Zasper, but she could at least see her without hissing. She would only hiss when Zasper got near her. THen we got Corkscrew and had to deal with it all over again. We've had Corky a year now and it's the same, she's fine as long as Corky doesn't get near her. And he's so scared of her that he tries his best not to get near her. Luckily for some reason she ignores Tibby, she's just decided to pretend that there is no kitten in the house.

toughCookie
11-04-2002, 03:22 AM
tonight Cassie and Charlie were playing together! :) :D

Cataholic
11-04-2002, 05:19 AM
Alright!!!! Way to go!!!! Love wins out, again. Way to stick the course Tough Cookie!!!!!!:) :)

toughCookie
11-04-2002, 12:40 PM
Cassie has also slept on the couch next to Louise, and Charlie, and Patches, at different times.
this might work out after all, if she would just calm down a little, she's so hyper active! but I think she's just glad to be out of the room and allowed into the rest of the house. cats!

jenluckenbach
11-04-2002, 12:48 PM
I am so happy that things are going better. Sometimes time heals all.

boscibo
11-04-2002, 12:49 PM
Yay! I'm glad you're keeping the cats. Sometimes it just takes time - lots of it.

toughCookie
11-05-2002, 12:19 PM
Im glad too! Cassie is really fitting in well... still a few minor things, but it is working out. :)

Miss Meow
11-05-2002, 03:57 PM
I'm so glad you're keeping your new babies. Mini is very glad too :)

toughCookie
11-10-2002, 02:28 AM
I was wondering, did any of you know I would keep the cats?

jenluckenbach
11-10-2002, 06:29 AM
I DID
but I have ESP:rolleyes: