PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes I wonder about myself......

pomtzu
12-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Yeah - me and my brilliant ideas!!!!

The weather has suddenly turned to winter, so I got one of my down filled jackets out to wear and noticed that the cuffs were really grungy looking, so I tossed it in the washer. No big deal - I've washed it before and it comes out really nice. Since there was plenty of room in the washer, I tossed in 2 new dark colored sweatshirts that I just bought, since I like to wash things right out of the store before I wear them. Okay - they're done washing and I go to get them out to toss in the dryer, and lo and behold, the down jacket had sprung a leak! Everything is covered in nice fluffy white down, including the drum of the washer. :mad: I took the jacket and sweatshirts out the back door and tried to shake the down off, but to no avail, and my nice new sweatshirts are a mess. :( I put the jacket in the dryer, cleaned the drum, and threw the sweatshirts back in to wash, so I'm hoping just one wash and rinse will get them looking the way they're supposed to.

I cost myself time and aggravation with my brilliant time saving idea. Next time I wash anything down, it will be by itself.

Anybody else pull any stupid stunts like this, or do I take the prize???

lvpets2002
12-02-2010, 04:41 PM
:) Oh my my Bless your heart.. Sounds like such a mess.. However I did have to Chuckle a bit.. :D

Laura's Babies
12-02-2010, 06:19 PM
EUCK! What a mess.. I haven't done that but I am bad about leaving tissues in my pockets. They don't wash up well but I doubt nearly as bad as that jacket!

lizbud
12-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Don't blame yourself so much Ellie, you couldn't have predicted the
jacket would suddenly spring a leak. It did sound like a great idea.:D

I accidently threw a new tee shirt (Black One) into the washer with my
undies, guess what color all my unmentionables are now?:rolleyes: A rotten
shade of gray.:rolleyes:

Cataholic
12-02-2010, 07:15 PM
I have never, ever, ever made a mistake in my life. :rolleyes:

Ok, while I can't say I have done the down thing, I do this amazing thing I call an 'idiot load'. Say, for instance, I decide to do two scoopings in one kroger bag...yep, big old split. Dirty litter everywhere. Or, another favorite, carrying in all the groceries from the car..you know, so I can save time? Doing fine, up until the time the bag splits and I go scrambling for canned goods. These are 'idiot loads'.

caseysmom
12-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Does opening the back of the SUV up on my slanted driveway to get the groceries out and the watermelon goes flying out? Does that count:D

Alysser
12-02-2010, 08:16 PM
-Getting everything done in the morning EARLY (hair, getting changed, etc.) and sitting downstairs for 10 minutes, then forgetting an assignment. :p Yep, done it multiple times before.
-Going to the gym and forgetting my gym ID card.
-Leaving my phone in my locker over a weekend, um, almost died. And it was a long weekend too!
-Forgetting the dog when all I go out to do take HIM for a walk. In my defense, this was only ONCE, I had gotten so side-tracked I just left him in the kitchen. I came right in after I walked out and if looks could kill, he would've succeeded.
Let's just say, I think we all have been there. Whether it be time saving strategies or just daily tasks. :p

cassiesmom
12-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Anybody else pull any stupid stunts like this, or do I take the prize???

Went to a church orchestra rehearsal with only my music, left my flute at home :eek:!

The first year I lived in the dorm, one of my first times doing my own laundry. I put in my white cotton undies, a couple of pairs of pantyhose, and my red cotton overalls. The pantyhose came out in such tight knots I had to throw them out and all my undies were pink! Yikes!

Same dorm, same laundry room. I had a glass jar with quarters in it, sitting on the machine. As it started to agitate, the glass jar hit the floor - quarters and glass everywhere.

Promised to bring pop to a wintertime pot luck luncheon at work. Bought it the night before and left it in the car overnight to keep cool. Guess what, it froze! Whoops!

Wore two different shoes to work- a black slip-on loafer and a white slip-on sneaker! Whoops!

And you know my story about the bathroom and the broomstick skirt at Walt Disney World ::o:
Spring '97. My friend Trish and I are at Disney World, dressed up and eating at a nice restaurant at the Disney Village Marketplace. I'm wearing a top and a broomstick skirt. We receive the check and present a credit card. As we are waiting for the waiter to return with the sales slip for Trish to sign, I decide to use the ladies' room before the bus trip back to the hotel. To make a very long story short I come back with an odd breeze hitting the back of my legs! I'd accidentally caught the hem of my broomstick skirt in the waistband of my slip after using the ladies' room - everyone in that nice restaurant got a glimpse of my bum! (or at least my lingerie) GAAAAK! Get me out of here P.D.Q.!

kitten645
12-02-2010, 09:47 PM
I'm laughing as I read these. The watermellons had me LMAO.
I too have left the house with two different shoes only to realize it when I was at work!
I've left the house without pants on:eek:Ok it was the eighties and I had on one of those super long sweaters that could have been a mini dress however thankfully the "draft on my aft" alerted me to the situation.
I spend alot of time saying "What is WRONG with people?" but most times I'm thinking "What is wrong with ME?"
LOL

krazyaboutkatz
12-03-2010, 12:02 AM
These are all great stories.:)

I went to work not knowing that I had a big hole in the back of my jeans. A male co-worker said "Are you wearing pink underwear?" I said "How do you know?" He said "Because I can see it through the hole in your jeans." I was so embarassed.:o This was in Sept. and it was warm enough for me not to wear a jacket. Luckily I kept a jacket on my chair so I could tie it around me. By the time I got home, the hole had gotten a lot larger. Now I try to make a habit of inspecting my jeans before I put them on.

I'm sure I've had many other mishaps in my life but I can't think of any more right now.

pomtzu
12-03-2010, 07:27 AM
Lots of stupid stunts here - I don't feel quite so bad now.

Oh - the sweatshirts came clean of their down covering, so all is well.

I've also done the pink undies (at least they weren't grey, Liz) and kleenex in the pocket routine.

A few others:
The time I made a special trip into town to get cash from the ATM, only to realize when I got there, that my card was at home on my desk.

The time I purchased an item at a store, paid for it at the register, and left the bag sitting at the register.

Made a vet appointment for one pet, and took a different one in. My vet still laughs about that one! :D

Cataholic
12-03-2010, 11:17 AM
The watermelon rolling out of the car is so dern funny!!!

lvpets2002
12-03-2010, 11:44 AM
:eek: Yup that sounds like a few stunts I have done..

Yes bought items at a Target in Weatherford = a town 30 min away from me ok == Then I drive all the way home to find out the purchased items are still at the Target Store.. I call them & they said people do that all the time.. They saved the bag of stuff for me && yes I drove all the way back over to Weatherford to the store.. :p

Also left my purse in a Groc Store Shopping cart too one time.. Yup also in Weatherford & then had to drive all the way back.. :rolleyes:

Lots of stupid stunts here - I don't feel quite so bad now.

Oh - the sweatshirts came clean of their down covering, so all is well.

I've also done the pink undies (at least they weren't grey, Liz) and kleenex in the pocket routine.

A few others:
The time I made a special trip into town to get cash from the ATM, only to realize when I got there, that my card was at home on my desk.

The time I purchased an item at a store, paid for it at the register, and left the bag sitting at the register.

Made a vet appointment for one pet, and took a different one in. My vet still laughs about that one! :D

gini
12-03-2010, 02:31 PM
I am really glad that you were able to save your new sweatshirts. This type of thing makes you nuts doesn't it? You feel as though you are spinning your wheels not getting anywhere.

I especially liked the watermelon trick - (backwards) bowling watermelons - just look at her score!!!

Whenever I cook I always have a dishtowel on my left shoulder. It is so handy to wipe your hands on it as you move around and chop and mix.
One day I needed something last minute at the store, so I jumped in the car, went to the market, went all over the market, bought my items and was headed back to my car. I ran into a neighbor in the parking lot
and she kept looking at my shoulder - finally I looked too - and there was this wet and greasy dishtowel.

Nice, Gini, really nice!! Attractive yet greasy!!

Medusa
12-03-2010, 03:54 PM
Laundry is where most of my screw ups occur. Somehow I usually manage to toss something red in w/light colors. When my son was younger, he said to me "Mom, I'll do my own laundry. You always "shrink and pink" it.

pomtzu
12-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Laundry is where most of my screw ups occur. Somehow I usually manage to toss something red in w/light colors. When my son was younger, he said to me "Mom, I'll do my own laundry. You always "shrink and pink" it.

I seem to remember a story about eye shadow and lipstick Ms Mary. :p:D

Yup - I have to agree with others - the watermelon oops was a good one!

Medusa
12-03-2010, 05:18 PM
I seem to remember a story about eye shadow and lipstick Ms Mary. :p:D

Oh yeah, that's right; forgot about that one. Heh heh heh...

DJFyrewolf36
12-03-2010, 09:32 PM
I learned the hard way that you can't defrost a loaf of bread in its plastic bag in the microwave...:rolleyes:

The bag caught on fire. Luckily John was standing right next to it.

I've also had a few "idiot loads" involving soda and boxes splitting and cans going all over the place.

I think the most irritating bonehead stunt I've pulled on myself is washing my last $20 until payday. The bill was a total loss, too. I think I about had a meltdown lol. :rolleyes:

K9karen
12-03-2010, 09:41 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes::o:o I could write a book! If my head wasn't attached to my neck, I'd lose it for sure.

pomtzu
12-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Today I redeemed myself after my stupid stunt earlier this week. :p

Some of you know that I am having back surgery in just a few days, and when I get home, I will not be allowed any bending or picking anything up over 5 lbs, among a lot of other restrictions. That presented a problem for me, since I have to pick Myndi up to carry her UP steps - she can get down on her own. We tested out a ramp, but she was terrified of it, so that option was out.

I bought a harness for her, and my idea was to assist her up the steps by lifting up on her leash attached to it. Good idea, but I would still have to bend over to attach the leash to the jump ring and no bending is allowed. :( Okay - back to square one here. Then the lightbulb came on. I have a "grabber" - you know, one of those handy little things that lets you pick things up without bending over. So I gave that a try - and it works perfectly for what I need. I just reach the grabber down and hook the grab part at the end into the jump ring on the harness and gently lift up on it, and she gets up the steps with no problem. Yippee - problem solved.

She doesn't even mind the harness being on, but it's a nice one so isn't uncomfortable for her. It has the mesh section that fits across her chest, and the straps where her legs go thru is very heavily padded. I won't leave it on her tho, until I'm here by myself, since there will be other able bodied folks to do the carrying up the steps. :p

Now I can stop worrying about how she is going to manage! :D

kokopup
12-05-2010, 11:05 PM
K9karen
I could write a book! If my head wasn't attached to my neck, I'd lose it for sure.

Yes, I could write a few books myself. Looking back over my 70 years I have had so many boo boos I would have a hard time listing them all. I have had a few moments with washing things though. I have found that you do not use
dish soap in the dishwasher, and that cell phones stop working after it goes through the washer and dryer. I learned early, in my Navy days, that whites should not be washed with anything red.

pomtzu
Sometimes I wonder about myself......

Ellie, I have wondered about you myself. :D