PDA

View Full Version : Question - Dog Sweater - UPDATE & pics #16

happylabs
12-02-2010, 10:00 AM
I find I am being way overprotective of my new grandpuppy Zoe. I notice her coat is very thin and the temperatures here are getting very cold. Would it be silly to get her a doggy sweater for these colder temps? I know she is a Lab but...she is just a little baby. :)

Freedom
12-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Not silly at all -- just a concerned Gram!

If she had a sweater, would Zoe's pawrents use it?

The lab coat will thicken with the cold weather. Even adult Labs are seen wearing coats on the coldest days around here. Out for a walk in an open field, everyone bundles up a bit.

For a puppy, a sweater would be cute! Remember she will quickly grow out of it.

happylabs
12-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Not silly at all -- just a concerned Gram!

If she had a sweater, would Zoe's pawrents use it?

The lab coat will thicken with the cold weather. Even adult Labs are seen wearing coats on the coldest days around here. Out for a walk in an open field, everyone bundles up a bit.

For a puppy, a sweater would be cute! Remember she will quickly grow out of it.

I know her coat will grow. And, I thought the same thing...she will grow out of it fast and also would she leave it on? My daughter would definitely wear it on her if I bought one. Not so sure about the boyfriend. He is the "manly" type but if he thought she needed it for safety sake he would probably say okay. This puppy already has move love than some people's children. :love:

cassiesmom
12-02-2010, 04:03 PM
Caring grandpawrent is right! :love: :D I wonder if anyone here has a gently used one they'd give you, since you know she's going to grow out of her first one.

pomtzu
12-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Sparky's almost 12 and he wears sweaters in the colder weather. Nothing silly about it at all! You can pick them up pretty cheap at Walmart, so even when pup outgrows it, it's no great $$$ loss.

lizbud
12-02-2010, 06:07 PM
No, not silly at all. Zoe would look good in a girly Pink one.:)

ps. I am in love with your Grandpuppy.:)

elisabeth
12-03-2010, 01:15 AM
Love her name ;)

I think it is fine! When we got our Chi the breeder recommended using sweaters for her in the winter. We had to remind her we lived in AZ (we bought her in Ohio). Yes, it does get cold-ish here in Dec and Jan overnight, but nothing like Ohio!

My MIL had three Hairless Chinese Cresteds (all gone to RB now :() and they had a variety of clothing. Sweaters, raincoats, hoodies - you name it! I don't think there is anything wrong with making sure your pet is warm. It can get ridiculous cold in many places.

IRescue452
12-03-2010, 12:30 PM
If it makes you feel any better, my malinois is a big tough dog and she has a jacket and sweater. She definately appreciates the sweater whenever she starts to shiver from the cold.

Mauxiemom
12-08-2010, 02:42 PM
I think your concern for your grand pup is wonderful. I knitted a sweater for my son's Bichon-Maltese. He outgrew it fast but that wasn't what mattered. They thrive on love!

From cold Minnesota, where a quilted doggie parka is needed,

cassiesmom
12-08-2010, 02:48 PM
Helen, I have a co-worker who has a Lab named Pixie. Guess what Pixie is getting as an early Christmas gift? A doggie jacket! (they're going to the pet store after work for a doggie jacket and an unstuffed stuffie toy)

She definitely needs one these days- we are getting a break from the cold snap over the weekend with more snow in the forecast, and then it's supposed to be really cold here again next week.

Could you give your kitties and your grand-puppies some hugs from me, please :love:

Vette
12-08-2010, 06:01 PM
I dont think youre being silly. i got my dog a sweater years back,, but he didnt like it in the least bit. he wouldnt run around or go to the bathroom or anything with it on. he just gave me the "why me?" look until i took it off. LOL

cassiesmom
12-13-2010, 10:11 PM
Happylabs, how is your daughter and how is your grandpuppy? Did you end up getting her a doggie sweater? Could you please give her (well, both of your grand-dogs) some petting from me when you see them again.

Thanks,
Elyse

PS: I was just looking at their photo in your other thread. I like the darker pattern on Sunshine's back- it looks to me a little like a woman's carefully braided hair.

luvofallhorses
12-13-2010, 10:13 PM
How old is Zoe again? When Dixie was a baby I bought her a jacket to wear in the cold. :)

moosmom
12-14-2010, 05:01 AM
I only wish your grandpup was smaller!! I bought Austin B.(my hairless baby) a hoodie that would fit a baby doll. He won't keep it on! I'd send to you if I knew it would fit your grandpup! What a wonderful grandmaw you are!!

Mooshi
12-14-2010, 05:49 PM
It's not silly at all i have an american bulldog and it gets really really cold here in winter and poor thing shivers when he's outside so i got him a doggy jacket and he wears it whenever he goes outside. It's so sweet how caring you are to your new grandpuppy :love:

happylabs
12-15-2010, 08:24 AM
I ditched the sweater idea. Zoe is about 5 months now and growing daily. Her coat is coming in thicker so I am not so worried about her being cold any longer.

Took her to the parents over the weekend and she got to meet my brother's cat Max. Zoe and Max got along quite well until Zoe decided the cat needed his face washed. :D

Here are a couple pics.