PDA

View Full Version : Gonzo is very sick...

bckrazy
12-01-2010, 04:30 PM
For those of you that remember us from long ago, please send positive vibes to Gonzo. A week ago he was playing at the park, the picture of a healthy 9 year-old dog, and today he's barely clinging to life. He wasn't eating much for a week or so (not uncommon for him), and on Saturday he started vomiting/diarrheaing. He couldn't hold water down that night. Then he started vomiting blood. Like, explosive blood.

I rushed him to the ER vet, and he's been there ever since... he has been on an IV and meds to keep him alive. He falls when he tries to walk. He won't eat or drink, and when he does drink water it comes back up very quickly. They've tested him for everything, they've x-rayed him 3 times, and they can't find the source of all of this. His eyes are so full of pain and so lifeless, I have never seen him like this nor could I ever imagine him in this state. The Vet said he is depressed, so we're taking him home tonight.

Please think of my Gonzy... and if anyone could message me Nancy Efrusy's e-mail I would really appreciate that. :(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v357/gonzoo/grasshopperhead.jpg

caseysmom
12-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Oh Erica I am so sorry, I am in tears right now. I am praying hard for your precious boy. Let me know if I can do anything since I am local.

Could it be pancreatitis?

bckrazy
12-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Thanks so much... that means a lot to me. Gonzo loved you and Casey and Bubba.

They ran several blood tests, and his pancreas/liver/kidneys are all fine. They couldn't find any evidence of toxins either. They can't even find a sign of cancer or a blockage... nothing. $2000 of tests and intensive care and he's just dying. :( I can see it in his eyes. I'm trying to stay positive but I can feel how much pain he's in.

caseysmom
12-01-2010, 04:57 PM
He is way too young to be going through this I am so sorry.

pomtzu
12-01-2010, 05:29 PM
I know you said there were a lot of tests, but did they check for a bleeding ulcer. Myndi almost died last summer from this - came on very sudden - blood count critically low at 13 instead of 30-something - passed out a couple of times - severely weak and depressed - blood in her stool. Just a thought in case this hadn't been approached.

Prayers being said that Gonzo can make a recovery.

cassiesmom
12-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Big, big prayers for Gonzo.

chocolatepuppy
12-01-2010, 05:50 PM
Someone told me Gonzo was ill and I've been praying for him. I hope they can figure out what's wrong with him. {hugs}

*LabLoverKEB*
12-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Oh my gosh... I'm so sorry to hear about this.:( Poor sweet baby boy. All my love, prayers, good vibes, and thoughts are going out to you and Gonzo right now.

Just a thought... has your veterinarian mentioned anything about Hemorrhagic GastroEnteritis (HGE)??

Freedom
12-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Oh no, not Gonzo!

How frustrating, all those tests and no clue what the problem is! I am chilled, just reading this.

Hugs to you, and praying hard for Gonzo here in RI.

Alysser
12-01-2010, 06:31 PM
I can't even express how sorry I am right now, Erica. I love Gonzo, even though you don't post many pics of him anymore I sometimes go back and look at him!! I know what it's like to loose a dog before their time. But it doesn't have to end, I still have hope for the baby. (((hugs))) and good thoughts going out to Gonzo and his family tonight. :love:

luvofallhorses
12-01-2010, 06:44 PM
I am so sorry, Erica. :( My heart is breaking for you and Gonzo.. I know how much he means to you. Continued good thoughts and prayers for your boy. (((hugs)))

Krista

robinh
12-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Prayers being said for Gonzo.

wolf_Q
12-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Oh no, not Gonzo. :( I'm so sorry to hear this. You know I love that handsome boy of yours. I hope you will be able to figure out whats going on and get him back to normal! {{Hugs}} to you and Gonzo.

dab_20
12-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Oh, Erica, I am so sorry to hear this. Gonzo is very loved by you and Pet Talk. I hope he pulls through this. Prayers headed your way. :( ((((((hugs))))))

anna_66
12-01-2010, 08:48 PM
Erica I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes. I know that feeling and hate that you and your boy are going through this.
I hope that taking him home helps and he gets over whatever it is that's ailing him.

Many good vibes and prayers headed your way. If there is anything at all I can do please don't hesitate to ask.

(((HUGS)))
Anna & Mark

k9krazee
12-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Erica, I've been thinking of you and Gonzo all week. It just breaks my heart. (((hugs))) and stay strong! :love:

bckrazy
12-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Thank you. :love:

I'm very touched by your posts and thoughts for Gonzo. I joined PT right after I got Gonzo... all of you have watched him grow up, and some of you have met him, so it means a lot to me.

Gonzo has a fever. They asked me if I wanted to euthanize him. I want him to be on IVs for another day. I feel very selfish for keeping him alive like this, but I hope one more day might make a difference.

Catty1
12-01-2010, 10:24 PM
[email protected] Nancy Efrusy's email address.

Husky_mom
12-01-2010, 10:58 PM
it really sucks seeing our pets like that.. and even more when there seems to be no reason for it..

I´m so sorry.. I´m sure you´ll make the right choice.. give him a pat from us.. ((hugs to you))

Karen
12-01-2010, 11:24 PM
He's in our prayers. Could you maybe have the vets call someone for a second opinion? My friend's dog had a rapid decline similar to that, and sadly, he died. They took him to Tufts Veterinary School, which is not too far from here - where Miss Hoppy had her thymoma treatment, and they did a necropsy and found he had been poisoned.

www.tufts.edu - 200 Westboro Road - (508) 839-5302

caseysmom
12-02-2010, 12:15 AM
I wondered about poisening too Karen.

Erica I came home and lit candles for Gonzo. I know whatever you do it will be in his best interest. When we first met you were still in high school but I was so impressed with how responsible and mature you were with Gonzo, I went to you for help with him and my own teenage daughter.

I just can't stop crying tonight :( I am sending love to you Gonzo...

cyber-sibes
12-02-2010, 12:23 AM
Oh my gosh! Adding our prayers for Gonzo. He was THE cutest puppy, and I was on PT quite a bit back then & watched him grow up. I've thought about him many times. I am soooo sorry to hear this. Were you able to reach Nancy?

Bonny
12-02-2010, 06:45 AM
Prayers for Gonzo to get better & hugs to you. :love:

anna_66
12-02-2010, 07:54 AM
Gonzo has a fever. They asked me if I wanted to euthanize him. I want him to be on IVs for another day. I feel very selfish for keeping him alive like this, but I hope one more day might make a difference.

I can't say that I'd do anything different. I just hope one more day does make a difference. I'll be thinking about you both today.
Please get better Gonzo.
More (((HUGS)))

chocolatepuppy
12-02-2010, 07:56 AM
I'm so sorry Erica.:( I can't say I blame you hanging on a little longer. You will know when the time has come. Still praying for a miracle for your dear Gonzo. {{{hugs}}}

Taz_Zoee
12-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Oh no, I didn't come on PT last night and this is just breaking my heart this morning. :( I am also in tears. I really hope today will show a change for Gonzo since he will be at home and maybe more comfortable. You live so close to me and I've never been lucky enough to meet you or the pups, but I will be thinking of you and Gonzo today.

caseysmom
12-02-2010, 12:41 PM
I keep watching for some good news Erica...still thinking about you and Gonzo.

DJFyrewolf36
12-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Prayers and good vibes sent. (((HUGS)))

dab_20
12-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Lots of prayers headed for Gonzo today in hopes that he will get better. Such heartbreaking news.
((hugs)) Update when you can.
:(

Daisy and Delilah
12-02-2010, 02:41 PM
Oh No!! I'm so sorry!! My thoughts and prayers are heading your way right away. Get Well Gonzo!! You are such a good, handsome boy.:(

Alysser
12-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Any updates on how our boy is doing? Here hoping for good news!

robinh
12-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Just checking in to see if there is any news?

Freedom
12-02-2010, 07:41 PM
Still praying hard from RI, for both you and Gonzo.

anna_66
12-02-2010, 08:00 PM
Erica I'm hoping that no news is good news. Been thinking about your boy today.

bckrazy
12-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Gonzo is home. :)

The Vet said we should take him home and try to get him to eat... if he goes downhill, he recommended that we bring him in tomorrow and end his pain. He's on sub q fluids and lots of meds. I got him to eat a little cottage cheese. I'm really hoping that he keeps it down and feels better. He's so weak, but I can see the relief in his eyes.

I e-mailed Nancy, and she said he's too lifeless and distant for her to communicate with. :( He is very lifeless. I cherish this time with him, though. I can't stop petting and hugging and kissing him and he won't leave my side, even though it's difficult for him to walk.

caseysmom
12-02-2010, 08:29 PM
I have been watching all day on here for an update. I am so glad that at least he is home with you now.

Casey got violently ill after I first got her and it turned out to be cocciada she got at Bradshaw before I got her.

I did boil chicken and rice and I also did the cottage cheese. I also got her to lick ice cubes.

Hopefully whatever was ailing him is passing him and he is on the mend. At least with the sub q's he won't dehydrate.

Your in my thoughts, give your handsome boy a kiss and gentle hug from me, okay?

chocolatepuppy
12-02-2010, 08:32 PM
I'm happy to hear Gonzo is home with you.:) Continued prayers...

wanwan1007
12-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Adding my prayers to those of others for Gonzo and for you.

Alysser
12-02-2010, 08:47 PM
So glad to see a good update! :) Keep it up Gonzo, you can fight this.

wolf_Q
12-02-2010, 09:05 PM
Thinking of you guys...hope Gonzo call pull through this. :love:

elisabeth
12-02-2010, 09:23 PM
I am new here but I had to let you know you and your sweet Gonzo are in my prayers. Sending lots of healing thoughts and well-wishes his way. I am so sorry for his pain and your anguish.

Gonzo is so young, I am holding out all hope he will have a good night, get the rest and relief he needs with his family, and pull out of this.

Praying for you Gonzo. :love:

cyber-sibes
12-02-2010, 10:44 PM
whew, I'm glad he's home and eating a few bites. Your bond of love is so strong, he'll respond better being near you than he would anywhere else. Paws still crossed he pulls thru this. C'mon Gonzo, we're all rooting for ya, buddy!

*LabLoverKEB*
12-02-2010, 11:27 PM
I'm glad to see that he is home, and let's hope that he continues to take steps forward in his healing.
More prayers on the way for sweet Gonzo. :love:

Mooshi
12-03-2010, 12:03 AM
I've been reading this thread every single day and hoping for good news. it's good to know he's back home and i'm praying for your sweet boy that he'd pull through. Hang in their gonzo you can beat this and hopefully live a long healthy life.

krazyaboutkatz
12-03-2010, 12:14 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Gonzo.:( I'm hoping for a Christmas miracle. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

luvofallhorses
12-03-2010, 12:29 AM
I am glad he is home with you. :love: I pray he pulls through this. (((hugs)))

RobiLee
12-03-2010, 05:02 AM
Keeping both you and Gonzo in my prayers. I hope he is feeling much better today.

cloverfdx
12-03-2010, 05:04 AM
Oh Erica my heart sank when I saw this :(. Lots of healing positive thoughts going your way. Gonzo was always one of my favourite PT Border Collies :love:.

robinh
12-03-2010, 05:15 AM
I continue to pray that he will get past this illness. I am glad that he's home with you where I'm sure he wants to be.

AdoreMyDogs
12-03-2010, 08:44 AM
I'm so deeply sorry to hear Gonzo is so sick. I remember "meeting" him when you first introduced him to us. He's such a special and beautiful dog. I hope he can make it through this mystery illness.

Please keep us updated, and give that sweet boy a hug from me.

caseysmom
12-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Still praying for Gonzo.

K9karen
12-03-2010, 09:08 PM
OMG! I just saw this. I'm glad Gonzo is home with you. I can't believe the vets can't find a reason why he's so sick. What a mystery. So sad. I'm so so sorry. A gazillion trillion prayers being said for sweet Gonzo's recovery.

caseysmom
12-04-2010, 11:08 AM
I am hoping no news is good news...still praying for you Gonzo.

Alysser
12-04-2010, 11:24 AM
I am hoping no news is good news...still praying for you Gonzo.

Same here.

chocolatepuppy
12-04-2010, 11:37 AM
I keep checking back, praying Gonzo is okay.

bckrazy
12-05-2010, 01:47 AM
Hey you guys! I'm so sorry I haven't been updating you... these past few days have been a rollercoaster of emotions and I just haven't left Gonzo for a second.

When we brought him home on Thursday and then on Friday he had bad diarrhea and wasn't eating and he was very weak. We were going to take him in today to get him PTS. I woke up this morning to Gonz and Fozz playing on top of me in bed. I was like "what's going on?"! He proceded to voraciously eat chicken and rice for breakfast (then 3 other times today) and hasn't had the big d at all today... he hasn't done anything. I think his system was just totally empty.

I'm hoping that he is going to keep getting better... he's a little bit like his normal self now. He looked so old before, like a trembling old dog. He has the spark in his eyes again. He even started to play with a new toy that I got him. I definitely feel that all of the prayers and positive thoughts helped pull him through this, in addition to his Vets. They said that they decided he had a very severe case of HGE (which I thought they could have originally determined through his bloodwork???), and they haven't seen a dog survive this long with it. They were all super happy to hear that he's turning around. I really hope that he continues to eat and recover! I'm so happy to see him happy and spend quality time with him, I cherish every day that he's with me.

krazyaboutkatz
12-05-2010, 02:00 AM
Thanks for updating us. This is wonderful news!!!:D I hope he'll continue to improve and get back to his old self very soon. I'll continue to keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

caseysmom
12-05-2010, 02:25 AM
Great news, I am so happy! I will continue praying for Gonzo.

cloverfdx
12-05-2010, 06:28 AM
Happy tears here. Sending more positive thoughts your way. Keep getting better Gonzo :love:.

anna_66
12-05-2010, 06:43 AM
Oh Erica I'm so happy to hear this it makes me want to cry tears of joy:D

Many (((HUGS)))!!!!

RobiLee
12-05-2010, 07:23 AM
This is wonderful new to hear this morning. Please give Gonzo some hugs from me.

robinh
12-05-2010, 07:25 AM
Phew....I was so worried. FANTASTIC - keep it up Gonzo!

chocolatepuppy
12-05-2010, 07:55 AM
YAY! :D What happy news this Sunday morning!!! I had to google HGE(Hemorrhagic GastroEnteritis), how awful!
I will continue to pray Gonzo continues to improve!:)

Freedom
12-05-2010, 08:03 AM
Hooray for Gonzo!

I suspect you are going to go to bed and have a good sleep now, what an ordeal. A restful sleep, ,knowing Gonzo has turned the corner and is in the recovery stage.

I never heard of it either an dhad to Google and read. OMGosh, he has been through a lot. Says to keep him on a bland diet for at least a week while his system continues to recover.

I didn't see anything which said it could be diagnosed by blood work. Rather, all I see is that they rule out everything ELSE it could be, with those symptoms, and that leaves HGE.

I will continue to pray for Gonzo that his body can heal and recover from this.

pomtzu
12-05-2010, 08:46 AM
Way to go Gonzo! :D Keep getting better and better and better! :):love:

Alysser
12-05-2010, 08:53 AM
I was so worried that you hadn't updated, but I am so glad to hear Gonzo is doing better. :) Yay, keep it up buddy. :D:love:

elisabeth
12-05-2010, 09:35 AM
So happy to hear your boy was his happy self again! And eating all the yummy chix and rice. Hope he is even better today! :D

cyber-sibes
12-05-2010, 09:49 AM
Yeah! I'm so happy I could cry! :) can imagine you are exhausted emotionally from all this - thanks for the update. God bless Gonzo, saying prayers his recovery continues. Pleas give him a big snooter kiss from me!

wolf_Q
12-05-2010, 09:51 AM
I'm so glad to hear that Gonzo is getting better! I hope he'll be back to his old self completely, soon!

Taz_Zoee
12-05-2010, 11:27 AM
This is just great news! I hope you can have many more days/weeks/months with him. :)

K9karen
12-05-2010, 08:30 PM
HUGE lump in my throat and stinging tears. OMG! There are no words to explain how thrilled I am that Gonzo is so much better! As far as I'm concerned, it's a Christmas Miracle. May he continue to improve. Blessings on all of you. Gazillion hugs and kisses! :love::love::love::love:

*LabLoverKEB*
12-05-2010, 10:33 PM
So it turned out to be HGE all along... that's what I mentioned in an earlier post. I'm SO GLAD he is doing so much better!! Hugs to you and Gonzo!:love::love:

luvofallhorses
12-05-2010, 10:59 PM
Oh I am so glad he is improving! I hope he continues to improve. Many hugs to you and Gonzo!

wanwan1007
12-06-2010, 07:49 PM
So glad to hear a good report. Im continuing to pray for Gonzos complete recovery.

Kfamr
12-06-2010, 08:24 PM
Keeping Gonzo in my thoughts! How is the handsome man doing today?:love:

Daisy and Delilah
12-07-2010, 10:36 AM
Keep getting better Gonzo!!! Great news!!!

cassiesmom
12-07-2010, 12:30 PM
Yay, Gonzo! Please keep getting better! More prayers for you.

Pembroke_Corgi
12-08-2010, 01:57 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Gonzo's illness. I hope he continues to improve. Good thoughts coming your way.

Kfamr
12-08-2010, 08:15 PM
How's the boy doin'? :love:

boomersooner
12-08-2010, 09:16 PM
Good, pawsitive thoughts from Texas, Gonzo!!

anna_66
12-09-2010, 08:44 AM
Just thinking about you all and hope things are still going well.

caseysmom
12-16-2010, 06:04 PM
Has anyone heard anything? I would sure love an update...hoping Gonzo has made a full recovery.

cassiesmom
12-16-2010, 10:06 PM
Gonzo and Mom, I am thinking of you and hope things are going well. Get well soon, Gonzo!

Alysser
12-17-2010, 10:28 PM
I would love an update as well! How is Gonzo? :love:

wolf_Q
12-22-2010, 07:43 PM
Any update on Gonzo? Hope he's doing well. :love: