PDA

View Full Version : Entitlement?

mrspunkysmom
11-28-2010, 06:26 PM
Are we a society that feels entitled? I went through a short phase of that years ago but quickly got over it. I'm not sure if entitlement is the right description for my current observations. Let me explain.

I got a new couch, a love seat that reclines. It fits the small room better and it was time. I had a sofa sleeper with mechanics in good condition. This the first couch I had bought on my own since I had always used my mother's excellent hand-me-down until it was damaged in a move. So the upholstery couldn't hold up very well to Sam's need to sharpen his claws where he pleased. (I looked for several months before getting the new couch. ) (That's why I now have trees. Less expensive than new furniture.) A slip cover and it will look just fine.

So I offered it on FreeCycle and Craigslist, thinking someone would still grab it up. It's amazing how many people want things without signs of wear yet for free. One couple had no furniture yet wanted a sectional sofa for free.

Yet when I gave my old car away, the guy who got it loved it. The engine and other parts that make it go were in excellent condition despite the fact that the car was 12 years old. He said the rest was cosmetic and easily fixable.

I left it by the side of the road in front of the house. It's supposed to rain tomorrow so I was getting worried.

Fortunately, a couple came by and wanted to take it. I helped them get it in the truck myself. They didn't care as long as it was sturdy.

I wouldn't expect someone to take trash, but I feel that beggars can't be choosers. Am I just being peckish or is this a trend in our society?

Thanks for letting me vent.

Karen
11-28-2010, 06:47 PM
I do not think it is a sense of entitlement, it is just that some people have different expectations than others. Moving a sleeper sofa is heavy, hard work, so I am sure some people were weighing the condition of it against other factors - borrowing a vehicle, getting friends to help, so you want to make it last as long as possible. And of course someone like me couldn't take your couch because I am horribly allergic to kitties.

kitten645
11-28-2010, 09:03 PM
I was going to say something similar to Karen. I would never take anyones upholstered furniture. Even from a relative. Especially now with my new fixation on bed bugs (ewww!:eek:) I've also seen alot of people try to get rid of an item rather than making the effort to take it to the dump. A car is a different situation. Also think the age of the internet has made people more fussy. Used to be you'd have to haul all your stuff out on your lawn and have the dreaded Garage sale complete with forking out for a newspaper ad. Now you can post something on the internet and be rid of it in a few hours. More info. Less hassle.
C

lizbud
11-29-2010, 01:02 PM
To your question, I would say yes. (for the most part)

We have many young people & some older folks too, who act as if the
world owes them a living. I'm not sure were the idea comes from but it
is unrealistic & ultimately leads to a big letdown when they grow older.

mrspunkysmom
11-29-2010, 04:14 PM
I do not think it is a sense of entitlement, it is just that some people have different expectations than others. Moving a sleeper sofa is heavy, hard work, so I am sure some people were weighing the condition of it against other factors - borrowing a vehicle, getting friends to help, so you want to make it last as long as possible. And of course someone like me couldn't take your couch because I am horribly allergic to kitties.

I think got me is that some people were looking for something free and then being picky. And they wanted the free couch because they couldn't afford it new. They didn't have much furniture. I don't think I stated that part clearly.

I had hand-me-downs when I was first starting out. As long as it worked, it didn't matter.

I did mention that I had cats. I am very much aware of allergies. I can't take stuff from the home of a smoker.

I was going to say something similar to Karen. I would never take anyones upholstered furniture. Even from a relative. Especially now with my new fixation on bed bugs (ewww!) I've also seen alot of people try to get rid of an item rather than making the effort to take it to the dump. A car is a different situation. Also think the age of the internet has made people more fussy. Used to be you'd have to haul all your stuff out on your lawn and have the dreaded Garage sale complete with forking out for a newspaper ad. Now you can post something on the internet and be rid of it in a few hours. More info. Less hassle.
C

That's personal decision that I can't fault. I won't take other's used cars. I have a friend that buys used only, and she always has problems. I know that just because I take care of a car doesn't mean others do the same for theirs.
This one couple had asked for a sleep sofa and was looking for a free one. I guess it's their right to be particular, but something about that attitude bothers me.

Hauling off to the dump isn't a problem. I can find someone to take it for me for cheaper than my garbage service. I dislike throwing away usable items. Sleeper sofas can be uncomfortable so I had a quilted blanket on the pillows.

About Bed Bugs: An exterminator (I think) figured out why there is an epidemic. Cleaning crews or home services were picking the bugs up at an infested house and taking them to other houses. I had someone clean my house once right after I broke my hand and she used my supplies.

I had never considered the bed bugs and other reasons for not wanting an item. Thanks for your thoughts.

Medusa
12-01-2010, 09:57 PM
On Halloween a girl who looked to be about 10 or 11 years old said to me when I handed her a Hershey Bar, "Um, I don't like chocolate". Now that's entitlement. :rolleyes: I can only imagine what my parents would've done if I had dared say that to anyone who was passing out free candy. A couple of years ago another kid said "How 'bout a bigger candy bar?". I only pass out full size bars, not the sample size. Someone said to me once (and I'll always remember it) "You are a child of God and so entitled to the best. However, the world owes you nothing".

K9karen
12-03-2010, 10:29 PM
Amen to that, Mary.

I had a similar situation on Halloween. Didn't like my choice of a FULL SIZE candy bar? Nerve to complain? Snatched it right back OUT of his candy bag. There's MY trick to YOU!

Karen
12-03-2010, 10:52 PM
Next time a trick-or-treater complains about what you are offering, hand them a gift-wrapped box. Inside type a note with this quotation:

Do not act as if the world owes you a living. It does not. It was here first.
Mark Twain

DJFyrewolf36
12-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Next time a trick-or-treater complains about what you are offering, hand them a gift-wrapped box. Inside type a note with this quotation:

Do not act as if the world owes you a living. It does not. It was here first.
Mark Twain

I'm tempted to put that notice on peoples cars who park in more than one space :D. Downtown, parking is at a premium and it irks me when I see people be rude about it, even when I'm walking. I'm the type of person who will feed an expired meeter if I see one and I have some change with me, though.

wombat2u2004
12-24-2010, 06:50 PM
On Halloween a girl who looked to be about 10 or 11 years old said to me when I handed her a Hershey Bar, "Um, I don't like chocolate".

Wah !!! The horrible little git !!!
I would have shoved that hershey bar into her ear.

kitten645
12-24-2010, 07:57 PM
"On Halloween a girl who looked to be about 10 or 11 years old said to me when I handed her a Hershey Bar, "Um, I don't like chocolate". Now that's entitlement"

I would have said, Then I guess you are sh*t outta luck!. LOL.

carole
12-24-2010, 09:08 PM
I cannot say i have experienced this first hand myself, only thing i can relate to is when i was selling my daughters school uniform, mind you it was not free,but i had it at a really reasonable price, no-one was even interested and this was when the recession had just began, i was thinking surely someone out there wants a cheap uniform, i still have it and she has left school this year, i probably could give it away, and certainly would to someone in need, however i could well do with say 50 cash myself, would pay for the ellie's vaccination, which would be good, so i will give that a try.

You could well be right though about society,it has changed and people are becoming very materialistic.