PDA

View Full Version : Food Peeve?

RICHARD
11-28-2010, 05:00 PM
I have a huge peeve about food and television.

I saw a commercial about a dad and his kid playing by sliding bowls of chips and salsa across a table..

Eventually the bowl collide and the salsa spills. The parents laugh and the mom goes to clean the mess up.

I also saw a preview on the BRAVO channel about the Top Chef program. The hostess says something about a 'food war' then throws food at the camera, the next scene is of the contestants tossing food at each other-a real food fight....everyone is laughing.

They just showed a commercial during a program with a child eating in a kitchen, he tosses his spoon across the glass table. The parents laugh and get out the towels to wipe up the mess.

-----------------

As I grew up I was always told that playing with food is a sin.

I understand that the stuff was probably 'stunt food', but the concept still irks me.

It's probably a trivial thing?

But it drives me crazy!:confused::eek:;)

mrspunkysmom
11-28-2010, 06:01 PM
I understand. So some kids see this on TV, the parents don't monitor and correct or advise, and then we wonder why they act the way they do.

Catlady711
11-28-2010, 08:21 PM
It's not just a commercial thing, I've seen kids make similar messes in restaurants and the parents reaction is the same, they think it's funny or 'cute' but then again the poor waitress is the one that has to clean up the mess not them.:mad:

K9karen
11-28-2010, 09:07 PM
ACK! I hate that chip/salsa commercial! What a waste of my favorite foods!

How 'bout the one where the kid shakes a soda bottle and it sprays all over the kitchen and the happy mom grabs her trusty paper towels and wipes him and the mess. AND then she squirts HIM with the sink hose and he does the soda thing again. :eek:

What a waste of orange soda!

RICHARD
11-28-2010, 11:14 PM
Kids at buffets?

OML.

At some buffets the have the soft serve ice cream machines. That is an open invitation for a mess and kid's who have eyes bigger that their stomachs.

When I see kid kid with a giant bowl of ice cream? I cringe.:confused::(

pomtzu
11-29-2010, 07:50 AM
Hmmm - this brings back some funny memories of days long gone - when my ex wasn't my ex - and my now 41 yr old son was a young adult in his early 20's.

There had been a birthday party for one of them, complete with a nice cake with gooey creamy frosting. After most of it was consumed and a little bit of leftover was sitting on the kitchen counter, son took a handful and surprised his father with a good face shot - and his father then returned the favor. When all was said and done, they were wearing it in their hair, on their face, and just about everywhere! The kitchen cabinets, counters and floor did not escape the wrath either! I guess you know which 2 people cleaned it all up too! Boys will be boys!

Even now, all these years later, son will still occasionally get that little look in his eye at the dinner table, and a spoonful of mashed potatoes gets catapulted across the table in his wife's direction.

Maybe some folks view this as wasteful, maybe even crude behavior. Me??? - I view it as a family having a little lighthearted fun in a much too stressful world!

Would this ever happen outside of our own home??? Of course not - NEVER!!!

Laura's Babies
11-29-2010, 11:58 AM
I have watched TV for years and have seen how they have taught people to be rude and sarcastic to people over the years. That started with Bart Simpson and one of the reasons why I never understood anyone watching it. TV use to teach people how to be kind and considerate as well as polite, now the more sarcastic and rude, the more people who watch it. It is taken as approved, acceptable behavior.

Before long, we will not be able to go out to eat without getting covered in someone else's food fight. We were ALWAYS taught you leave the table as you found it, YOU make a mess...YOU clean it up.

and everybody wonders what has happened to society.. :rolleyes:

Taz_Zoee
11-29-2010, 12:08 PM
We just saw that salsa/chip commercial yesterday (I tend to not watch commercials) and Bruce made a comment on how the mom just smiles and goes to get the paper towels. We were like, yeah right! That wouldn't have been the case in our house when we were children.

I agree with Ellie that a little fun is good. I know my ex-boyfriend and his ex-wife got into whipped cream fights with each other. It was a very fond memory the kids had of their parents "back in the day". :)
I also believe if you make the mess you clean it up. So go ahead, have some fun. Just remember who is cleaning it up! :) And of course, this is not acceptable in public.....EVER.

momoffuzzyfaces
11-29-2010, 12:51 PM
I hate the one with the two grown women throwing stuffing at each other.

Times were hard when we were kids. We were not allowed to waste food that way. With so many hungry people in the world it still seems very very wrong to me. :love:

lizbud
11-29-2010, 12:51 PM
Anything that smacked of wasteing food was forbidden when I was
a child. We would get the "all the starving kids in Africa" speech if we took
more than we could possibly eat.:rolleyes: I feel stronger about the waste
now that I'm older & know the truth about people without food all over the
world.:(

RICHARD
11-29-2010, 12:58 PM
We were ALWAYS taught you leave the table as you found it, YOU make a mess...YOU clean it up.

and everybody wonders what has happened to society.. :rolleyes:

LOL,

If I go out to eat I have the habit of wiping down the table before I leave.
I have had people get really irritated when I do.

;)

pomtzu
11-29-2010, 02:53 PM
I agree with Ellie that a little fun is good. I know my ex-boyfriend and his ex-wife got into whipped cream fights with each other. It was a very fond memory the kids had of their parents "back in the day". :)

Oh yeah Cindy - we've done the whipped cream in the aerosol cans too! :D Crude bunch here in Delaware - aren't we????? :eek::p;)

phesina
11-29-2010, 02:59 PM
Hmmm - this brings back some funny memories of days long gone - when my ex wasn't my ex - and my now 41 yr old son was a young adult in his early 20's.

There had been a birthday party for one of them, complete with a nice cake with gooey creamy frosting. After most of it was consumed and a little bit of leftover was sitting on the kitchen counter, son took a handful and surprised his father with a good face shot - and his father then returned the favor. When all was said and done, they were wearing it in their hair, on their face, and just about everywhere! The kitchen cabinets, counters and floor did not escape the wrath either! I guess you know which 2 people cleaned it all up too! Boys will be boys!

Even now, all these years later, son will still occasionally get that little look in his eye at the dinner table, and a spoonful of mashed potatoes gets catapulted across the table in his wife's direction.

Maybe some folks view this as wasteful, maybe even crude behavior. Me??? - I view it as a family having a little lighthearted fun in a much too stressful world!

Would this ever happen outside of our own home??? Of course not - NEVER!!!

Oh, I think that's hilarious! And I take it the throwers were also the cleaner-uppers?! What a great family story to look back on and laugh about.

Karen
11-29-2010, 03:04 PM
I have never participated in a food fight, just too messy - even for me. It doesn't bother me seeing it on TV, though. My parents stressed "waste not, want not." Even as a kid I knew that my not eating the handful of peas on my plate would not, in any way be able to help or hurt a starving child in another country - by the time I got them packed and shipped and they got there, they'd have gone bad anyway. But my folks never used that argument with me, I just heard it from other kids.

Great Aunt Adrian, God bless her, was wont to say, "You might as well eat it, if you don't, it'll just go to the pigs, anyway ... " and she was serious.

Taz_Zoee
11-29-2010, 03:05 PM
Oh yeah Cindy - we've done the whipped cream in the aerosol cans too! :D Crude bunch here in Delaware - aren't we????? :eek::p;)

One of my best friends is in Delaware!! :D So yeah. LOL

RICHARD
11-29-2010, 03:17 PM
I knew that my not eating the handful of peas on my plate would not, in any way be able to help or hurt a starving child in another country - by the time I got them packed and shipped and they got there, they'd have gone bad anyway..

When you have to send peas
To the kids overseas?
That's logistics!

When they don't go on time,
They may go to the swine-
That's LOGISTICS!;)

pomtzu
11-29-2010, 03:51 PM
And I take it the throwers were also the cleaner-uppers?!

You've got that right!!! And since I don't participate, then I get to be sidewalk supervisor for the cleanup members.

I just sit back and laugh and enjoy the whole thing from beginning to end. I'm with Karen - too messy to get involved in...........:D

lizbud
11-29-2010, 04:33 PM
When you have to send peas
To the kids overseas?
That's logistics!

When they don't go on time,
They may go to the swine-
That's LOGISTICS!;)

I like that commercial. The first couple of times I hear it I thought
they were saying "that's Poughkeepsie" :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poughkeepsie,_New_York

rosethecopycat
11-30-2010, 06:39 PM
The commercial that aggravates me is in supermarket.
A young boy (old enough to know better) charges around the supermarket and opens the dispenser of coffee beans. His mother finds the 'scamp' standing in a mound of coffee beans on the floor. She rushes toward him and 'brushes' him off in an 'are you o.k.? manner, gives him a pat on the head, and they walk away. :mad:

If the little 'scamp' were me- I would have gotten smacked. (sorry that was the reality in the 60's- not that I condone that nowadays)

If I were the mother- I would have 'marched' the boy to the manager, told him to apologize, ask the manager for a broom, so the 'scamp' could clean the mess, and then ask the manager to weigh the product so the little 'urchin' could pay for it!
:D

Medusa
11-30-2010, 06:49 PM
I saw those commercials and they irritated me, not just b/c of the reason you stated but also b/c it's just plain bad manners. What mother would tolerate her kids sliding those dishes back and forth and then find out her husband is in on it? And the food wars are ridiculous. So much for enjoying the art of cooking and being comforted by it. Now it's Food Wars, Cupcake Wars, etc. Just plain stupid.

Karen
11-30-2010, 07:41 PM
I saw those commercials and they irritated me, not just b/c of the reason you stated but also b/c it's just plain bad manners. What mother would tolerate her kids sliding those dishes back and forth and then find out her husband is in on it? And the food wars are ridiculous. So much for enjoying the art of cooking and being comforted by it. Now it's Food Wars, Cupcake Wars, etc. Just plain stupid.

Medusa, Food Wars and Cupcake Wars are not about food fights. "Food Wars" is about two restaurants competing to say who makes the best "X" in "Y" - like the best Cheesesteak in Philadelphia or the best deep dish pizza in Chicago. And Cupcake wars does not involve throwing cupcakes, it is a competition with 4 different bakers to see who makes the best cupcakes. It's a 'reality' show, so there are different parameters each time, but it's not about throwing food.

Medusa
11-30-2010, 08:45 PM
Medusa, Food Wars and Cupcake Wars are not about food fights. "Food Wars" is about two restaurants competing to say who makes the best "X" in "Y" - like the best Cheesesteak in Philadelphia or the best deep dish pizza in Chicago. And Cupcake wars does not involve throwing cupcakes, it is a competition with 4 different bakers to see who makes the best cupcakes. It's a 'reality' show, so there are different parameters each time, but it's not about throwing food.

Yes, I do know that, Karen. I meant that it seems that everything is a war nowadays. The food fight stuff is just ridiculous. What's wrong w/saying "Food Competition" or whatever. I know, it's not creative but I'm tired of Wars.

DJFyrewolf36
11-30-2010, 08:52 PM
Kids at buffets?

OML.

At some buffets the have the soft serve ice cream machines. That is an open invitation for a mess and kid's who have eyes bigger that their stomachs.

When I see kid kid with a giant bowl of ice cream? I cringe.:confused::(

You would have loved me as a little kid...If I got a HUGE bowl of ice cream at a buffet you better believe I ate ALL OF IT! Soft serve topped with way too many chocolate chips still makes me smile.

And now I want soft serve...dang it!

pomtzu
12-01-2010, 06:58 AM

Does this mean that you won't come to any birthday celebrations at my house??? :(:p

BTW - welcome home.

anna_66
12-01-2010, 07:20 AM
LOL,

If I go out to eat I have the habit of wiping down the table before I leave.
I have had people get really irritated when I do.

;)

As a waitress, I thank you :D

cassiesmom
12-01-2010, 11:39 AM
I try to brush the crumbs into my plate and wipe up spills before I leave a restaurant table. I hate to leave a mess behind.

who makes the best deep dish pizza in Chicago.

Did someone say pizza? (It's 11:30, almost lunch time and I'm hungry!) Gino's East, hands down.

Medusa
12-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Does this mean that you won't come to any birthday celebrations at my house??? :(:p

BTW - welcome home.

Well, not if you're going to throw the cake at me! ;) And thank you. I had a wonderful time; the week went so fast but it's good to be back. The Fur Posse were all discombobulated. I think that leaving them so soon after Boo's passing scared them. (Sorry, didn't mean to hijack.)

pomtzu
12-02-2010, 06:14 AM
Well, not if you're going to throw the cake at me! ;) And thank you. I had a wonderful time; the week went so fast but it's good to be back. The Fur Posse were all discombobulated. I think that leaving them so soon after Boo's passing scared them. (Sorry, didn't mean to hijack.)

Not to worry - we're civilized in the presence of guests. :p

Glad to hear you had a good trip. :)

rosethecopycat
12-02-2010, 07:15 AM

Right after I read this post I saw the salsa-slide commercial.:rolleyes::mad:

K9karen
12-03-2010, 10:22 PM
You would have loved me as a little kid...If I got a HUGE bowl of ice cream at a buffet you better believe I ate ALL OF IT! Soft serve topped with way too many chocolate chips still makes me smile.

And now I want soft serve...dang it!

ME 2!!!!! Hmmmm. wonder if the DQ is open.....