PDA

View Full Version : POSSIBLY getting a flat screen tv...

moosmom
11-28-2010, 09:06 AM
I know absolutely nothing about these new gadgets. I want a 32 inch flat screen lcd tv. I'm not planning on any surround sound as my apartment is way too small.

I'm SURE there are PTers here that have them. How about a little advice for an old lady, huh??

I've been watching the ads on tv and in the newspaper. Talk about confusing!!

Catty1
11-28-2010, 10:33 AM
I'll be checking one out on Monday with/for my mom, Donna. I can tell you more then. We are going to a place that isn't based on selling you more than you need - it's my regular computer shop - and I will have more info then.

One thing that IS happening is that computer monitors and TVs overlap in some cases. A really large computer monitor set up for TV signals (a TV is a monitor for television signals, so they are all monitors in a way) can do you well also.

Will let you know what I find out. I want to know also.

The store I go to - they have a lot of them running shows etc. My jaw dropped when I saw one of the Lord of the Ring movies playing...there was a closeup of the palm of someone's hand, and you could see the tiny little creases between the joint knuckles on the fingers! It was astounding!

Queen of Poop
11-28-2010, 11:29 AM
I have a 32" Samsung flat screen tv. I love it. Especially for the HD channels. So much like being there. So far, the best screen resolution I have found is on the Samsung's. And the best part is it's light enough that I can move it around all by myself!

mrspunkysmom
11-28-2010, 01:03 PM
I have a 32" Samsung flat screen tv. I love it. Especially for the HD channels. So much like being there. So far, the best screen resolution I have found is on the Samsung's. And the best part is it's light enough that I can move it around all by myself!

Exactly. I love my 32" Insignia. I think Best Buy was out of the Samsungs in the size I needed. I have mine secured to my entertainment unit with Bungie straps. Playful kitties knock things over.

Mine does have a built in Blue Ray player.

HDMI cables: Only for HD TV. Do not spend $50 or even $30 on a cable. Check online for one. My techie friends say that gold cables don't work any better for the average consumer. I can get one for $10 at a local store. I've seen them cheaper online.

Puckstop31
11-28-2010, 01:13 PM
HDMI cables: Only for HD TV. Do not spend $50 or even $30 on a cable. Check online for one. My techie friends say that gold cables don't work any better for the average consumer. I can get one for $10 at a local store. I've seen them cheaper online.

+1

HDMI is a digital signal. It only matters that the signal gets there. You don't lose quality as with analog signals.

Have fun and good luck finding one! They are quite nice. We have a 42 inch Vizio.

Taz_Zoee
11-28-2010, 01:32 PM
We just bought one for my mom for Xmas. It was at WalMart and it's a 32" Vizio. It was on sale for $279. Vizio is a super clear TV. The bar we go to each Friday night has several TV's up for sports viewing. The Vizio's are so much crisper than the other TVs.
I'm not sure if its still on sale. My brother picked it up last Wednesday.

mrspunkysmom
11-28-2010, 01:35 PM
I meant to post this URL to an online guide. FLAT SCREEN TV Buying GUIDE (http://www.pcworld.com/article/125816-3/how_to_buy_a_flatscreen_hdtv.html)

+1

HDMI is a digital signal. It only matters that the signal gets there. You don't lose quality as with analog signals.

I'm not sure what the "+1" means. I don't use an HDMI cable but I do have a higher quality shielded coaxial cable to prevent interference from the receiver to the TV.

Moosmom:
My intention was to let you know that you don't need all the cables they suggest unless you are using a DVR or have High-Def TV. Some cables come with the TV and it depends on the TV. My brother paid the $60 for the cables only to find out one cable came with the TV.

I do have a 22 inch in my bedroom and I had to buy extra cables because it did not have enough RCA ports to accommodate a receiver and a DVD player. The bigger the TV the more ports it has.

Enjoy your search and your new TV.

sparks19
11-28-2010, 01:54 PM
I meant to post this URL to an online guide. FLAT SCREEN TV Buying GUIDE (http://www.pcworld.com/article/125816-3/how_to_buy_a_flatscreen_hdtv.html)

I'm not sure what the "+1" means. I don't use an HDMI cable but I do have a higher quality shielded coaxial cable to prevent interference from the receiver to the TV.

Moosmom:
My intention was to let you know that you don't need all the cables they suggest unless you are using a DVR or have High-Def TV. Some cables come with the TV and it depends on the TV. My brother paid the $60 for the cables only to find out one cable came with the TV.

I do have a 22 inch in my bedroom and I had to buy extra cables because it did not have enough RCA ports to accommodate a receiver and a DVD player. The bigger the TV the more ports it has.

Enjoy your search and your new TV.

+1 means he agrees with you

When we bought ours we got just the tv and whatever came with it.

Then we went into an electronics store for some little extra things (not nessecarily for the tv itself) and they were trying to sell us the most expensive cables they had telling us it just wouldn't work without them. BULL. it works just fine without the super duper cable that cost a fortune.

don't let them try to trick you into buying things you don't need.

Freedom
11-28-2010, 03:57 PM
My entertainment center has a "box" where the TV fits in. I didn't feel like rearranging my entire wall, so I made sure I bought a TV that would fit inside the "box." To get the largest screen possible, I got one with the speakers below the screen, rather than next to it.

Mine is 3 years old, I LOVE IT!!! I went to the library and checked Consumer Reports, then went with what they recommended.

Yup, if you find you need cables, just order them online at www.monoprice.com, you will save lots of money! (Someone on here told me about that site!)

Mine is a Sharp Aquos, with a 26 inch screen.

Laura's Babies
11-28-2010, 06:08 PM
What I can tell you about them is that you can pick that bugger up and move it to another room WITHOUT help! That is what I like the best about mine!

Marigold2
11-29-2010, 07:15 PM
Hubby is in the biz, here is what he said.
Panasonic S series or better. Best Buy has it. Or Panasonic G series unless you are putting it in front of a picture window then go with a Sony LCD.
If you have any further questions you can PM me. If you look at it from severe angels then get plasma, it is the best.
He just installed a big screen 58 inch plus surround sound for our son in NJ in a very small living room that is 12 x 15.
If you go to an Audio Professional Store they can help you and install the whole thing. Good luck. Remember you get what you pay for.

kokopup
11-29-2010, 11:19 PM
If you plan to buy a 32" or smaller do not pay a premium for 1080P HDTV because on a set that size 720p HDTV is all you need. Do Buy an HDTV because that is what most of the content will be both on SAT/cable or by antenna. The only time you will need an HMDI cable is if you have a High Def SAT/ Cable Reciever or a High Def Bluray/DVD player that needs to be connected to the TV.

moosmom
11-30-2010, 08:38 AM
Okay, I'm confused. I'm bringing my cousin along with me. He's an expert on that stuff and won't let the salesmen take advantage of me.

Thanks for your input guys!! I'll let you know when and IF I get it.