PDA

View Full Version : Garbage pick up costs?

chocolatepuppy
11-27-2010, 04:33 PM
My garbage bill just keeps going up! I don't have that much garbage! My bill for three months is now $85.52!:eek: I will now be recycling. (Not that I didn't do some recycling already.) I have a neighbor and a family member who told me that any items I couldn't recycle, throw a bag in their can now and then.;)
Just curious, what do some of you pay?

Grace
11-27-2010, 04:40 PM
We live in a rural area, so have to contract our own trash pick-up. We pay $39 every 3 months. We have one of those big containers, on wheels, that we take out every Friday. If we have the occasional over flow - an extra bag or two - no problem.

We re-cycle, or should I say I recycle. There are huge containers at the Township Hall, and I go every 10 - 14 days. We can do magazines, cardboard, newspaper and other paper stuff, cans and glass. It's a great release of frustration to go when I get p*ssed off and throw the glass bottles in the bin :D

Twisterdog
11-27-2010, 04:41 PM
I pay $60 every three months, for two large cans. So, $10 per month, per can.

Karen
11-27-2010, 04:58 PM
My property taxes cover the trash and recycling, we do not pay anything extra.

pomtzu
11-27-2010, 05:05 PM
I'm in the same boat as Grace - in a rural area so have to contract with a private company. They provide the big wheeled container and pick up once a week, and will pick up extra items too, just so long as the guys can pick it up and throw it in to be compacted. We put an old sofa out this week that weighed a ton - and they took it. Surprised me!
Anyway, I pay quarterly and it is now up to $76.50 and they are the cheapest ones around. When I first went with this company about 7 or 8 years ago - it was $40 something each quarter. So it's $76.50 minus a senior discount of $4.50 and then add back in $4.21 diesel surcharge, and I end up paying $76.21 - for now anyway!!! :eek:

jennielynn1970
11-27-2010, 05:07 PM

Same here where I'm living.

chocolatepuppy
11-27-2010, 05:10 PM
It's a great release of frustration to go when I get p*ssed off and throw the glass bottles in the bin :D

That's funny Grace! :D However, everytime I go to the recycling place in town the bins are full!;)

I live just out of the city, where the garbage is included with the utility bill, about 1/2 what I pay. I could throw a rock into the city limits, darn it!:rolleyes:

lizbud
11-27-2010, 05:51 PM

It's the same here too.

Freedom
11-27-2010, 05:54 PM

Same here.

We have "NO BINS NO TRASH" which ensures folks recycle. You have to put out your household trash and BOTH recycle bins: green for paper, blue for glass, metal, plastic. If you don't have the recycle bins out, they skip past your house and don't collect the trash. The first year we put this in place, our city saved an extra $35,000 for recyclables!

Pembroke_Corgi
11-27-2010, 08:35 PM
It's $25/month for the service we use for trash/recycling pick up. It's for unlimited trash and recycling. We try to recycle everything we can and it's nice we don't have to sort it; they use a special recycling technique so it can all go in together.

mrspunkysmom
11-27-2010, 09:36 PM
I live rural too and there are two or three independent trash services so I pay about $50 for 3 months. They even pick it up if you're late with the payment. The company charges extra for recycling because the county charges them to dump recycling. Yet I can take my recycling to the local center for free. They do not recycle everything, but most of what I have is what they want.

they do charge extra for certain items, unlike the city when I lived in the city.

happylabs
11-27-2010, 11:23 PM
Rural area here, $17 a month. Wish it was included in the property taxes seeing as mine are well over $1400 a year.

Cookiebaker
11-28-2010, 12:00 AM
we pay by the bag....$3 for a small bag and $4 for a large. :eek: We buy tickets in $20 increments, and it takes about 1.5-2 mos. to go through 3 of them. Recycling is free so we recycle every single thing that we possibly can. There is also a 'free bin' to put reuseable household items. It adds up fast though!

krazyaboutkatz
11-28-2010, 12:44 AM
I live in a condo complex so we have the huge trash bins. We also have several recycle trash cans too. It's included in the property taxes I think or maybe the homeowners dues.

Louie and me
11-28-2010, 05:55 AM
My property taxes cover trash pickup. The town is very "into" recycling so there is a pick up every week for green bins (compostables) and blue bins (recycling - paper, plastic jars and containers, glass, aluminum foil, etc) and up to three large garbage bags of general trash are picked up every two weeks. We divert up to 75% of our trash from landfills so I think that's great.

chocolatepuppy
11-28-2010, 08:00 AM
we pay by the bag....$3 for a small bag and $4 for a large.

I wish they'd go by the bag/can here. As it is, I'd be paying $7.12 per can!:eek: And my can would only be 1/2 full most of the time! I also think 'pay by what you put out' would help encourge recycling.

shais_mom
11-28-2010, 09:34 AM
mine is included in my monthly water bill - I believe that it is about $18 a month. Recycling is a one time price of about $6 for the huge bin that you throw everything in. Except cardboard. They won't pick up cardboard.

cyber-sibes
11-28-2010, 10:13 AM
We have "NO BINS NO TRASH" which ensures folks recycle. You have to put out your household trash and BOTH recycle bins: green for paper, blue for glass, metal, plastic.
We have those big containers here too. We pay a yearly fee of $150-its doubled from last year. Then all garbage has to be in the yellow bags the city sells or they won't pick it up - those cost $2.00 EACH! I'd say it averages $5 - $7 per week here. Fortunately they also have two "free days" at the dump for spring & fall cleanup where you can take bigger items for disposal. Otherwise, you pay by the item to dump things at the trash. Its far more expensive here than back in OH!