PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Favorites

Karen
11-24-2010, 04:21 PM
What's your favorite part of Thanksgiving Dinner?

lvpets2002
11-24-2010, 04:33 PM
:) Stuffing & the giblet gravy.. I could eat till I am sick.. Good thing its only once a year.. :D

lizbud
11-24-2010, 04:45 PM
We have to pick just one? :( LOL. I picked stuffing, but LOVE it all.:)

Karen
11-24-2010, 04:45 PM
Also I wanted to add, if there's anything I left out - if your favorite part is the cooking, the company, the leftovers - feel free to post that, too! It just only allows ten options. I know some people love the brussell sprouts, or certain ethnic favorites, I just put what I thought was most common on the list!

Freedom
11-24-2010, 04:57 PM
I make candies sweet potatoes, from my Mum's recipe. They are a huge favorite with ALL the extended family. And MY fave, lol.

Freckles
11-24-2010, 05:13 PM
We have to pick just one?:)
Multiple choices OK, thank goodness! :)

jennielynn1970
11-24-2010, 05:25 PM
I love my mom's home made stuffing with real gravy on it. YUMMMMMM.....

For dessert, we usually have 2 or 3 items to choose from, lemon custard is a favorite of mine!

cassiesmom
11-24-2010, 05:27 PM
Pie and coffee

robinh
11-24-2010, 06:01 PM
I picked turkey, potatoes, green bean cassarole and other - GRAVY!! I can't have it often, but Dick makes a roue gravy which uses very little milk. YUMM!

I don't cook on holidays - his family tradition - the men cook the holiday meal. Who am I to go against tradition? :eek:

lizbud
11-24-2010, 06:17 PM
Multiple choices OK, thank goodness! :)

Now you tell me.:D I shouldn't answer these food questions just before
dinner anyway.:) LOL. Have you heard the expression " her eyes are bigger
than her stomach" ?

Taz_Zoee
11-24-2010, 06:37 PM
I am a strange one. I do not eat Turkey on Thanksgiving. I prefer ham.
However, this year we are going to Bruce's family so I have no clue what we will be having. They do not do a traditional meal. It's always different every year.
With my family, my favorite dessert is my mom's coconut pie or her cheesecake with strawberries on top. It's the simple no-bake cheesecake. :)
We usually have a table full of desserts, sometimes more than the meal. LOL

RobiLee
11-24-2010, 06:43 PM
Well, I'm another that couldn't pick just one! I love the turkey, my mom's homemade stuffing, mashed potatoes, all smothered in mom's homemade gravy and love my mom's homemade chicken and noodles! Can't wait!

wanwan1007
11-24-2010, 06:54 PM
I picked stuffing for the poll but my other would be candied sweet potatoes and mac and cheese. I also love having family together.

Lillycat
11-24-2010, 07:30 PM
......being with family.......

Karen
11-24-2010, 07:58 PM
As a kid, I never could choose - there would be apple pie, pumpkin pie, a small Mincemeat pie, and pecan pie, and Uncle Mac would bring his cottage cheese pie which had pineapple in it. I'd usually have a sliver of each - apple, pumpkin and pecan, and save mince for later. The cottage cheese pie was always just as good the next day, so I knew I could have some of that later!

In our family, we would always have the good rolls with holiday dinners, so that'd have to be a favorite, too! And the "other" stuffing - Grandma's kind, which had pork and ground beef and mashed potatoes and onions and various spices in it - dense, rich and scrumptious. And tomato aspic - again, only made for holiday events!

chocolatepuppy
11-24-2010, 08:20 PM
Pumpkin pie, topped with cool whip and a glass of milk!:D

mrspunkysmom
11-24-2010, 08:26 PM
My mother made a different stuffing: with celery, turkey hearts, onions, and of course, bread. As a child I didn't care for it; it is an adult, acquired taste.

My favorite veggie is rutabaga. Just make it like mash potatoes. Cutting up a fresh rutabaga is a pain and annoying, so that was always my task as a child and later as a visiting adult.

Karen
11-24-2010, 09:45 PM
Oh, mrspunkysmom - you might like what we also sometimes had - Grandpa Smith called it moosup - equal parts mashed potato and turnip mixed together. Yummy! Again, usually just for holidays!

Come to think of it, there was never anything I didn't like at Thanksgiving! When I was a kid, my mother would invite as many people as possible, there were sometime two tables for adults and a kids table. So while it may seem like we had an incredible amount of food, there were lots of people to eat it, and everyone contributed their own dish!

Aunt Bertha made a wonderful cranberry/orange relish - basically just cranberry and oranges diced fine in the food processor - with maybe a little sugar added, depending on how sweet the oranges were that year. It would likely kill me now, as I am hugely allergic to cranberries, and allergic to citrus as well, but I remember it fondly - a little bit went a long way, it was that strong.

Alysser
11-24-2010, 09:59 PM
Apple pie...oh and my dysfunctional but fun family :D I love corn, prefer it on the cob but any corn works. my moms gravy is the best!

krazyaboutkatz
11-25-2010, 01:52 AM
I chose turkey, potatoes (as in mashed potatoes), stuffing, cranberry sauce (although my mom makes a wonderful cranberry relish), and pumpkin pie. We usually also have green beans and sometimes we have almonds with them. Yams are great too. My mom used to also make yummy cinnamom rolls. Sometimes we also have cherry pie. Apple pie is just okay to me but my dad loves it. I also love eating turkey sandwhiches later on.

momoffuzzyfaces
11-25-2010, 11:55 AM
Stuffing and cranberry sauce!!! love them!!! :love:

mrspunkysmom
11-25-2010, 01:35 PM
Oh, mrspunkysmom - you might like what we also sometimes had - Grandpa Smith called it moosup - equal parts mashed potato and turnip mixed together. Yummy! Again, usually just for holidays!

That actually sounds yummy. Both foods are headed the same way anyway. Add some mixed vegetables for extra flavor. Any spices that you can remember? I bought a waxed turnip, but haven't prepared it yet. Need to get out the cleaver and hammer to get that project going.

Come to think of it, there was never anything I didn't like at Thanksgiving! When I was a kid, my mother would invite as many people as possible, ...

Oh I liked it all, too. My mom would invite single soldiers from the base for Turkey day so that they would have a family setting.

Aunt Bertha made a wonderful cranberry/orange relish - basically just cranberry and oranges diced fine in the food processor - with maybe a little sugar added, depending on how sweet the oranges were that year. It would likely kill me now, as I am hugely allergic to cranberries, and allergic to citrus as well, but I remember it fondly - a little bit went a long way, it was that strong.

I just love cranberries. I eat them dry, fresh, and drink the juice. I'll have to try that relish.

So sorry about your allergies. I had severe allergies as a youth, but outgrew most of the allergies. Most of mine were and still (for those few left) are stress-related. I had to learn how to chill so I could enjoy some foods. Being allergic to Ibuprofen and other NSAIDS is a problem and serious inconvenience (and is not stress-related - ARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHH), but I'll happily stay allergic to tobacco smoke forever and a day.

Happy Thanksgiving.

*LabLoverKEB*
11-26-2010, 07:41 PM
Definitely mashed potatoes, and my favorite, sweet potato pie!

wolfsoul
11-27-2010, 02:08 PM
I like to mix my turkey, mashed potatoes, and cranberry sauce together. SO GOOD! That is my favourite. That, and candied yams with marshmallows.. mmmm.

cyber-sibes
11-27-2010, 02:24 PM
All of it! Especially my cranberry relish, my Aunt's sweet potato recipe, and the stuffing and gravy made like my mom's. I love fixing a big turkey dinner, its my very favorite meal! I love having company, although it was just the two of us & the pups this year. Silver lining: more leftovers!

Randi
11-27-2010, 02:43 PM
Excuse me for butting in here.... My favourite would be the stuffing, along with some darker meat and pecan pie. ;)

lizbud
11-27-2010, 04:32 PM
Excuse me for butting in here.... My favourite would be the stuffing, along with some darker meat and pecan pie. ;)

Not butting in at all Randi.:) Guess what I had for supper last night?

White meat turkey, mac & cheese, stuffing, cranberry salad & pumpkin pie.:)
My SIL (bless her heart) always sends me home with a "care" package.:D

Karen
11-27-2010, 05:04 PM
That actually sounds yummy. Both foods are headed the same way anyway. Add some mixed vegetables for extra flavor. Any spices that you can remember? I bought a waxed turnip, but haven't prepared it yet. Need to get out the cleaver and hammer to get that project going.

Not much spice if any, just a little butter and milk, salt and a little clove, if anything. It's sort of a taste and adjust sort of dish.

So sorry about your allergies. I had severe allergies as a youth, but outgrew most of the allergies.

That's the annoying part about developing the allergies as an adult - there's very little chance any of them will go away ... and the consequences are so very unpleasant, I'm not apt to try anything intentionally just to see if it's okay again!

I once looked at Paul and said "By the time I'm 60, do you think I'll be living on rice and water?" and he replied, "No, of course not. You'll probably be allergic to rice then, too!"

Vette
11-27-2010, 09:37 PM
Turkey/dumplings/stuffing an cherry pie is my favorites

sirrahbed
11-28-2010, 12:31 PM
I had forgotten about rutabaga until I read it here! My mom always made it back in the 50's/60's. I will have to get one! I like it cooked and mashed soft with butter and lots of black pepper.

I don't know why I don't make stuffing more often as it is wonderful and really so easy to make!! It is my *favorite* part of thanksgiving.

Growing up, our holiday meat was a roast beef rather than turkey - YUM!!!

The very best part of turkey is the sandwiches afterward - white bread, mayo and cold turkey:D Think I will go make one now.....

lizbud
11-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Interesting: So far turkey & stuffing are neck & neck at 19.:)

finn's mom
11-30-2010, 05:17 AM
I like turkey, but I love ham...and I've always had ham at Thanksgiving, along with the bird. :) I used to make this baked peachy sweet potato side dish, it was amazing. Maybe I'll make it for Christmas!

cyber-sibes
11-30-2010, 11:01 AM
I used to make this baked peachy sweet potato side dish, it was amazing. Maybe I'll make it for Christmas!
Ohhh, this sounds yummy! Care to share the recipe? Peaches & sweet potatoes are two of my favorite foods!

Cataholic
11-30-2010, 12:41 PM
That cranberry relish? I make that, but with pineapple and granny smith apple, still with some sugar, a few swirls in the cuisinart, and YUM! I do drain a lot of the pineapple juice. Never had it with orange...

ramanth
11-30-2010, 12:50 PM
Sweet Potatoes! :D :love:

Randi
11-30-2010, 01:24 PM
So how do you make sweet potatoes over there?

I get some very small potatoes, often in a glass, already peeled. :o I put very little butter on a pan and lots of sugar. When that is melted, I pour the drained potatoes on and let them suck up the now brown sugar/caramel?

What people usually do wrong, is to put too much butter on - then the sugar won't stick.

Karen
11-30-2010, 01:55 PM
What we call "sweet potatoes" over here are called yams in much of the world. They are a different kind of potato, not regular white potatoes made sweet. And funny enough, I am allergic to yams/sweet potatoes, but not regular potatoes, that's how different they are!

finn's mom
11-30-2010, 02:26 PM
Ohhh, this sounds yummy! Care to share the recipe? Peaches & sweet potatoes are two of my favorite foods!

I have no idea where I even got it originally! I'll see if I can find one...I know it had brown sugar and butter...mmmm....

smokey the elder
11-30-2010, 02:52 PM
Green bean casserole, from scratch, is awesome!

We usually do something unusual with an orange veggie. This year was carrot and cranberries; last year was a sweet potato casserole. Our turkey came out really good this year; we brined it overnight, then roasted it. Yummy!