PDA

View Full Version : English Labs??

tatsxxx11
11-07-2000, 10:36 AM
Anyway know if there is such a thing as an "English" lab as compared to....A non-English type? I have a yellow lab. She is a 2 year old female with a low, broad stature; quite heavy boned, rather large head. Where I live, people seem to WANT to distinquish between "English" and "non English" types. English type being the "original," PREFERRED type. Breeders I have spoken with say there is no such thing as an "English" lab vs. "American" I understand that labs were originally named English retrievers, and that their lineage was of a Newfoundland and ??? (Nothing English about them) I've noticed in lab books that the field trial type seem to be taller, longer in length, not as heavy boned. Can anyone clarify. Carrie, I need your expert advice!!

dogncatluvr
11-07-2000, 10:56 AM
I can help a bit Tats..."English" is what the show type Labs here in North America are referred to. They have the heavier set, broader skulls etc. that you described. "Field" type are the taller, leaner hunting type Labs. They are also generally more hyper as compared to the show type labs.

tatsxxx11
11-07-2000, 11:21 AM
Wow! Thanks for the fast reply Dogncatluvr! That's kind of what I thought. Never saw the field type lab at a show. I've had both types and loved them both for their own special look and talents. Has anyone heard of a new color of lab called a "silver?" It's the almost pure white types I see only occasionaly. I wonder how they bred them to be THAT white? Wonder if they have hearing problems?

tatsxxx11
11-07-2000, 11:22 AM
Did I really write "Does ANYWAY know" in my orig. post? AHHHH! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/redface.gif

carrie
11-07-2000, 12:03 PM
tatsxx11, that is very sweet of you but expert, I don't think so!
Labrador Retrievers were originally developed as an aid and companion to fishermen in Newfoundland. They were used to help pull in nets and boats and even to retrieve heavy or awkward fish. Hence their love of water, thick coats and retrieving urge.
The English took these dogs to their hearts and developed it into a gun dog. The preferred type was heavy boned and with a broad intelligent head.
Apart from that I really can't add anything else to dogncatluvr's answer. "English" is a description of type rather than a description of origin.