PDA

View Full Version : How cold is cold?

Queen of Poop
11-23-2010, 01:22 PM
Calgary is currently the second coldest place on the EARTH!!! Yep, that's right, the entire EARTH. At our current -33oC the only place colder is the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station in Antartica and they are at -36oC.:eek::eek::eek:

Freedom
11-23-2010, 02:15 PM
Come on down anytime; I couldn't stand it, that's for sure!

phesina
11-23-2010, 02:32 PM
Oh.... my.... GODDDDDDDD................. :eek::eek::eek::(:(:(:mad::mad::mad:

lvpets2002
11-23-2010, 03:08 PM
:eek: WoW I would be a frozen pop sickle by now.. Brrrr that is some Cold Temps.. I have always said that if Canada air could come all the way down to Texas & drop our temps to 20 degrees == then it is some cold cold stuff up in Canada where it came from..

Catty1
11-23-2010, 03:19 PM
In Cochrane this morning it was -35C!!! With NO wind factored in (thank God there was no wind at all here).

For the curious, that is -31 FAHRENHEIT!

At minus 40, it's the same temp on either scale.:eek:

Karen
11-23-2010, 03:21 PM
Goodness gracious, stay inside and warm!

Laura's Babies
11-23-2010, 05:19 PM
That has to HURT!!! I could not BE where it gets that cold or I would be in bed in PAIN!

Catty1
11-23-2010, 06:22 PM
No problem...you just dress in layers until you resemble the Pillsbury Dough Boy. Mind you, you have a lot more colours to show off!:D

Queen of Poop
11-23-2010, 09:04 PM
Well, when it's this cold outside and the heat in your brand new office building goes out it makes for a very cold and uncomfortable day. It's almost 8 pm and I've finally warmed up. And will do it all again tomorrow.

This cold is manageable by wearing good winter boots, a down filled knee length coat, down filled mittens (gloves are not an option in this cold all fingers must be together to keep each other from freezing), scarf, I pass on a touque (hat) and prefer to use the hood on my coat, with faux fur trim. My glasses fog up as I walk and breathe and fog over completely upon entry indoors. My face is very cold sensitive from being frost bitten when I was a child. I get to walk outdoors for 40 minutes in total in this cold, not all at once thank goodness. It's nasty, but manageable, people whine and complain bitterly about the snow and cold, wishing to head for warmer climes. Personally, it's cold but I'm a hearty Canadian and I can take it.

mrspunkysmom
11-23-2010, 09:19 PM
I wouldn't know what to do with all those coats and hats. If it gets cold here I put on a designer sweatshirt. Mostly I wear a thin grey windbreaker. I have a lined floor length coat I haven't worn in 9 years. It actually stayed below freezing for a while that winter.

Since half of my family is from a northern clime, I can handle the cold, but I don't know about -40 below. Yikes!

Freedom
11-23-2010, 09:32 PM
Wait, what?! You mean, people go OUT in that? They don't shut down businesses and schools and tell everyone to stay inside?

I'm a hearty Canadian and I can take it.

I don't think ANY human was meant to "take" that cold, BRRRRR! No wonder the Natives of the area were nomadic and MOVED SOUTH for the winter, ha ha haaa.

Sometimes, I think all our technology makes us do dumb stuff. Like insist people go to work in that type of temp.

chocolatepuppy
11-23-2010, 10:17 PM
That's COLD!!! :eek: Coldest I remember was -22F on 1-19-1994. I worked afternoon shift and had to go home at midnight.

Queen of Poop
11-24-2010, 05:05 AM
Nothing stops here for the cold. We just trudge thru it and carry on. Like this morning, thinking of how to bundle up as it's a bit warmer at -25oC, but the wind chill is -36oC this morning so will need to keep the wind off. The good news, it's going to warm up tomorrow! Into the minus single digits - woo hoo!

robinh
11-24-2010, 07:14 AM
I am such a wuss when it comes to the cold and I live in Iowa. We had recordbreaking snows last year and I hated it. I don't think I could do that much cold.

anna_66
11-24-2010, 08:34 AM
Now when I lived in North Dakota we'd get sometimes get -40 temps, but that was usually with the wind. And I think going out in it stinks!
You are definately a hearty Canadian:D

Taz_Zoee
11-24-2010, 08:02 PM
I am a born and raised California girl. I would for sure freeze to death in those temps. I'd be a popsicle!
It gets cold up in Tahoe, but I'm just visiting usually. I could NEVER live in temps like that. Well, I guess I "could", but I choose not to. :) I'll visit anytime though. :p

mrspunkysmom
11-24-2010, 08:20 PM
Wait, what?! You mean, people go OUT in that? They don't shut down businesses and schools and tell everyone to stay inside?

Sometimes, I think all our technology makes us do dumb stuff. Like insist people go to work in that type of temp.

No, you have to live in the South. Just 1 inch of snow and everything shuts down.

Yeah, technology is making us dumb.

Alysser
11-24-2010, 09:37 PM
That seems a little ridiculous. I generally don't mind extreme temperatures anymore, thanks to my job as a costume character during the summer, especially the cold. I mean after standing in a furry costume in 97 Degrees F weather I usually appreciate the cold. -33 C sounds a BIT to cold for me though! :eek:

Queen of Poop
11-25-2010, 05:05 AM
WOO HOOOOOO! It's warmed up! Currently only -4oC. Going to feel like summer when I get out there!

Bonny
11-25-2010, 06:22 AM
WOO HOOOOOO! It's warmed up! Currently only -4oC. Going to feel like summer when I get out there!

Your having a HEAT WAVE :D.

Catty1
11-25-2010, 09:45 AM
I'm breaking out the sunblock!:D:D

pomtzu
11-25-2010, 09:53 AM
It's rather chilly here today - in the low 40's. It's raining and there is even a little sleet mixed in. Too early to be getting that nonsense after our brutal winter last year! :(

lizbud
11-25-2010, 10:28 AM
It's rather chilly here today - in the low 40's. It's raining and there is even a little sleet mixed in. Too early to be getting that nonsense after our brutal winter last year! :(

We have just 40s & rain right now, but tonight we get flurries & "brutal cold" as the weatherman puts it.( In the 20s) that's cold enough for me.:)

I headed out yesterday to PetsMart (cross town) when it started to sleet
pretty heavy so I changed my plans & shopped for kitty food& litter at the local Kroger store. ( 1/2 block away)

I don't see how any machinery works at those colder temps.:confused:

Freedom
11-25-2010, 01:16 PM
Thought you would enjoy this; friend on FB wrote it:

Winter in Canada:

It's winter in Canada
And the gentle breezes blow
Seventy miles an hour
...At thirty-five below.

Oh, how I love Canada
When the snow's up to your butt
You take a breath of winter
And your nose gets frozen shut.

Yes, the weather here is wonderful
So I guess I'll hang around
I could never leave Canada
Cuz I'm frozen to the ground!

- by Bev Busse

pomtzu
11-25-2010, 03:27 PM

Winter in Canada:

It's winter in Canada
Seventy miles an hour
...At thirty-five below.

Oh, how I love Canada

- by Bev Busse

Thanks for posting Sandie. I had a good chuckle over that one.........:D

todd
11-25-2010, 07:59 PM
39F in canada

Lilith Cherry
11-25-2010, 08:40 PM
Sandie that poem is so funny--- and so true! Right now it is minus 3c here but freezing rain overnight and tomorrow morning:(

I used to live in Grand Centre/Cold Lake, Alberta ... the day we arrived it was minus 35c with a wind chill of minus 50c. Instant frozen skin!! I did love the place though!

Bonny
11-25-2010, 08:52 PM

Winter in Canada:

It's winter in Canada
Seventy miles an hour
...At thirty-five below.

Oh, how I love Canada

- by Bev Busse

After reading that I got the chills & am going to have to throw another couple of pieces of wood in the stove. Burr!

sana
11-26-2010, 01:30 AM
Send us some winter and cold stuff! We are sweating and heating up here. We had a party in school today. And I was almost fried! :rolleyes::confused: Its 26th Nov!! What's up with the weather?! Winter didn't come last year and this year it came for a few days only :rolleyes: Send us some snow and loads of winter!

Bonny
11-26-2010, 07:33 AM
It is -12 here with a ice hanging off of everything. It is real pretty with the sun hitting it. The trees & bushes look like they are covered with beautiful translucent crystals. We were lucky the electricity didn't go off. :eek:

Queen of Poop
11-26-2010, 08:14 AM

Winter in Canada:

It's winter in Canada
Seventy miles an hour
...At thirty-five below.

Oh, how I love Canada

- by Bev Busse

OMG I love this. And it's so darn true.

We're in the midst now of a lovely warm spell. Know it won't last for long though. But it is much welcome relief. Everything is melting and messy.

Freedom
11-26-2010, 08:20 AM
Lol

cassiesmom
11-26-2010, 11:48 AM
26F in Chicago this morning.... brrrr!

You know you've been through a Chicago winter if...

-you know someone who's done a Polar Bear plunge at North Avenue Beach, or you've done one
-you can recall a time when the temperature dropped 30 degrees in 24 hours
-you've ever planned your Halloween costume to fit over your winter coat
-your commute improves in winter because the potholes are all filled up with snow
-you think 35 degrees is perfect weather to wash your car
-you've ever used lawn chairs to protect your freshly shoveled parking space
-you ever listened to school closing lists with your fingers crossed
-you know what lake effect is

Randi
11-26-2010, 01:12 PM
Ugh, that is COLD! I remember one winter back in the eighties when it was - 15C here. That was cold enough for me!

Dress in layers, preferably pure wool. I hope you have a good eiderdown!

Karen
11-26-2010, 01:37 PM

-you know someone who's done a Polar Bear plunge at North Avenue Beach, or you've done one
-your commute improves in winter because the potholes are all filled up with snow

Uh, all but that first one can apply to Boston winters as well - never had to protect my shoveled space with a lawn chair, just had to take my chances, but everything else applies to a Massachusetts childhood and life!

chocolatepuppy
11-26-2010, 02:16 PM
26F in Chicago this morning.... brrrr!

Same here in NE Ohio! :D It's 32F, wind chill 22F right now. I remember snow at Halloween! Never used a lawn chair to save a parking space!

Lillycat
11-28-2010, 03:39 AM
.......reading over all replies and my vote goes to the South Carolina climate.......all that cold weather is giving me the shivers......brrrrr.......i think it is even too cold here in Southern Ohio.........

mrspunkysmom
11-28-2010, 06:47 AM
Well it's cold right now, a balmy 36F to you Canadians.

It will be in the 50s today, which is pleasant and only requires long sleeves.

Queen of Poop
11-28-2010, 08:12 AM
Well, it's snowing again. Not too terribly cold though, which is nice.

Hope everyone is keeping safe and warm!