PDA

View Full Version : Facebook warning,

ChrisH
11-22-2010, 05:23 AM
Forwarded:
Hi friends, I checked the warning below with Snopes.com and the status is "undetermined: research in progress." It may be true, it may not be true, but here it is:
WARNING!!!!!!.....Do not use the Christmas tree app. on Facebook. Please be advised it will crash your computer.Geek squad says its one of the WORST trojan-viruse...s there is.. and it is spreading quickly... Re-post and let your friends know!

trayi52
11-22-2010, 07:11 AM
Thanks, I will be sure and warn all my friends, and family.

Willie:)

moosmom
11-22-2010, 07:44 AM
I posted your thread on FB to let people know. I was lucky I didn't catch it.

kitten645
11-22-2010, 07:59 AM
I don't use apps or games on FB. Not enough security.

Laura's Babies
11-22-2010, 08:17 AM
I didn't see that one on there but I did see one about a virus that is called koobface. You get it in a message through there that has a link to You Tube but it is a counterfeit YT link and there it tells you, you need a Adobe Flash plug in to view the video... You follow that link and what you download is the virus..

sana
11-22-2010, 08:54 AM
Phew! I don't use an christmas or games like festival type ones I am mostly into animal games and so thank god! I didn't play it! I posted it up on my FB account. The games I play are YoVille, PetVille and Happy Pets, these are nearly all of them otherwise I used to play FishVille, Happy Aquarium but left those games. :)

smokey the elder
11-22-2010, 10:57 AM
I got a spam saying that FB had reset my password, and that I should register to get a new one. Yeah, right. No legit site would ever do that; you have to ASK to have your password reset.

The English grammar and spelling also left a lot to be desired.

Catty1
11-22-2010, 10:59 AM
FALSE
http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/xmastree.asp

Hellow
11-22-2010, 11:20 AM
#1: When they said "Geek Squad", I lost all hope. Geek Squad is a bunch of sissies.

#2: Yeah, that's false. I read about it earlier today.

#3: "the worst virus ever" - you wouldn't be online to post about it if you had it.

ChrisH
11-22-2010, 01:43 PM
:(
Hey, Catty & Hellow, please don't shoot the messenger! Just trying to be helpful is all.

Catty1
11-22-2010, 02:19 PM
Chris, I wasn't shooting the messenger. The "FALSE" came out rather larger than I wanted...I wanted it to catch attention, not bludgeon the reader. My apologies for hurting you.

I have noticed in the latest wave of virus-warning email and other hoaxes that many have added "This is on Snopes!". That statement is correct - but Snopes may be saying it's false. ;)

Just a suggestion - check these warnings on Snopes for yourself, or just Google the name of the warning.

(sneaking over to shrink the offending adjective...:o)

Catlady711
11-28-2010, 08:30 PM
I don't use apps or games on FB. Not enough security.

I second that!!

I have noticed in the latest wave of virus-warning email and other hoaxes that many have added "This is on Snopes!". That statement is correct - but Snopes may be saying it's false. ;)

Yup, been getting those kind of emails too. I always check them myself through my own bookmark to Snopes.