PDA

View Full Version : Green Bean Casserole ? ** UPDATE - POST #25

happylabs
11-18-2010, 09:20 AM
I have never had this. It is hard to believe that I am 50 years old and never tried it. I guess no one in my family has ever made it.

Anyway, who here has the best recipe for this because I want to make it this year for Thanksgiving.

Thanks!

prechrswife
11-18-2010, 09:31 AM
I use the recipe from the French's onion canister, except I use French style canned beans instead of the frozen green beans.

Sonia59
11-18-2010, 09:48 AM
I have no idea what this recipe is, but Jenn Librarian has posted about it here: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=164447. Is it what you want?...If I am completely mistaken, just forget my post...;)

jennielynn1970
11-18-2010, 10:03 AM
Not to sound full of myself, lol, but that green bean casserole that I posted is DA BOMB!!! It's from that little guy on Diners, drive inns, and Dives, and it's sooooooooo good. Time consuming, yes. Well worth it in the end, most definitely.

I found that with the onion frying part you can just get the canned French's onions if you want. My mom had no idea that I had made them myself and thought they were bought. So.... just goes to show ya that some things can be store bought and be good.

Do try it. Give yourself some time, don't be over whelmed, it's not as hard as it sounds, it's just time consuming.

Cataholic
11-18-2010, 05:52 PM
I am the only one in the world that doesn't like this. I love green beans and like to taste them. The casserole aspect over powers the taste of the veggie, IMO.

jennielynn1970
11-18-2010, 06:02 PM
I am the only one in the world that doesn't like this. I love green beans and like to taste them. The casserole aspect over powers the taste of the veggie, IMO.

Nope, not the only one. I hate the original one.

mrspunkysmom
11-18-2010, 06:13 PM

I cannot stand green beans prepared southern style or french cut. I do like the beans as prepared by oriental cuisine or just steamed.

I love the original green bean casserole, but the other one looks great.

happylabs
11-19-2010, 02:26 PM
Since I have never made it or tried it, I am going to make the standard recipe on the French's onions can. My daughter-in-law-to-be says she likes it so I will send leftovers home with her. :D

lizbud
11-19-2010, 04:43 PM

I love just the plain green beans, but absolutely LOVE the green bean
casserole that my SIL makes. I could eat a whole plate of just that.:)
She puts Campbell cream of mushroom soup in it along with the oinions
on top. Yum Yum.:D

cassiesmom
11-19-2010, 09:36 PM
I'm one of the few people on the planet who doesn't like the Campbell's green bean casserole that's made with cream of mushroom soup and fried onions. My mom gave me one that doesn't require the onions, so I'll get it in the computer tomorrow for you, happylabs. For just eating green beans I like Trader Joe's frozen haricots verts- steam them for me, cos I like them just the way they are. Maybe with some toasted almonds.

krazyaboutkatz
11-19-2010, 10:19 PM
I've also never tried green bean casserole probably because I didn't think it looked very good. My mom has made it before. I like green beans and even the french cut ones. I don't like onions or cream of mushroom soup. Maybe if it didn't have the onions or cream of mushroom soup I'd be more interested. I also love green beans with almonds.

K9karen
11-19-2010, 10:49 PM
I've only had it (original) at my friend's house. I thought it was awesome. There's never any left. I haven't checked Jenn's recipe yet, but if she made it, it's got to be fantastic.

Karen
11-20-2010, 12:20 AM
I miss the green bean casserole, but as I am allergic to green beans now, there's not much point in lamenting. Both ways sound fine!

happylabs
11-20-2010, 07:34 AM
I've also never tried green bean casserole probably because I didn't think it looked very good. My mom has made it before. I like green beans and even the french cut ones. I don't like onions or cream of mushroom soup. Maybe if it didn't have the onions or cream of mushroom soup I'd be more interested. I also love green beans with almonds.

Without the cream of mushroom and onions it would be just plain green beans. :p

shais_mom
11-20-2010, 11:19 AM
I've never made this but here's one from the pioneer woman.
I usually make the one on the can but have made it so many years that I'm over it. :)
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/11/green-bean-casserole/
My Mom makes sweet and sour grean beans with brown sugar and vinegar - I've made them a couple times for the Pet Talk gathering in Findlay and they are da bomb (to quote Jenn) ;) I like them sooooo much better than the casserole!

jennielynn1970
11-20-2010, 07:20 PM
I love green beans. I can eat them just plain, and love them with caramelized onions and almonds.

I have all the makings for the "Mean Greens" by Guy Fieri... so that's what I'll be contributing on Thanksgiving. My asked for it, so that's what I'm making, lol. She's another one who love green beans and also the fresh mushrooms.

happylabs
11-20-2010, 08:07 PM
I've never made this but here's one from the pioneer woman.
I usually make the one on the can but have made it so many years that I'm over it. :)
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/11/green-bean-casserole/
My Mom makes sweet and sour grean beans with brown sugar and vinegar - I've made them a couple times for the Pet Talk gathering in Findlay and they are da bomb (to quote Jenn) ;) I like them sooooo much better than the casserole!

That recipe looks pretty awesome!

Sonia59
11-21-2010, 03:07 PM
Curious...I must ask... what are French cut green beans...and French's onions can? :confused:

caseysmom
11-21-2010, 04:38 PM
French cut green beans are cut lenghtwise. French's fried onions in the can are onions that have been fried with a batter on them. You just combine cannded beans (or any cooked beans), mushroom soup, soy sauce, milk and the onions for the tradition recipe. Its very easy. Then you bake it in the oven for a bit.

happylabs
11-21-2010, 04:42 PM
French cut green beans are cut lenghtwise. French's fried onions in the can are onions that have been fried with a batter on them. You just combine cannded beans (or any cooked beans), mushroom soup, soy sauce, milk and the onions for the tradition recipe. Its very easy. Then you bake it in the oven for a bit.

I have all of the ingredients now and cannot wait to make it on Thanksgiving. I hope it tastes as good as it looks. :)

Roxyluvsme13
11-21-2010, 04:42 PM
As a picky person, green bean casserole is the only way I'll eat green beans :D.

I'm not sure what recipe my mom uses, but it sure is good. :love:

caseysmom
11-21-2010, 04:49 PM
I have all of the ingredients now and cannot wait to make it on Thanksgiving. I hope it tastes as good as it looks. :)

Have you never had it? I love it, usually after thanksgiving I make it a few times because it is so good and so simple.

Sonia59
11-22-2010, 03:34 AM

Thanks for the explanation! Still wondering why they are called French, as we NEVER cut green beans this way, and we do not use fried onions from cans...:D But I was also told the French's onions was also a brand...

Anyway, if someone has a picture of the green bean casserole to share, I am interested to see what it looks like :)

caseysmom
11-22-2010, 10:05 AM
French's is a brand but not for the beans..apparantly we think you cut your beans that way:D

happylabs
11-22-2010, 03:10 PM
I decided I could not serve the green bean casserole with French's onions unless I had tried the recipe. Last night I just made 1/2 of the recipe with one can of green beans and half a can of the mushroom soup. Turns out I don't really care for this dish. I didn't hate it but it also didn't really "grab" me. Now I am thinking of making that Pioneer Woman recipe or the sweet and sour if someone will give me the recipe for the sweet and sour green beans. ;)

Otherwise, it may just be plain old green beans. :D

caseysmom
11-22-2010, 03:14 PM
When you have it along with 50 other dishes and you are half drunk and in a trytophan coma its not too bad:D

Pinot's Mom
11-22-2010, 04:54 PM
Count me in the don't like the casserole category. I love FRESH green beans. Cook them as little as possible, toast some slivered almonds, toss the green beans with butter, pepper and almonds - call it a casserole! :)

jennielynn1970
11-22-2010, 05:04 PM
You could do green beans almondine, just steam the green beans, saute onions and almonds in butter, toss together and serve. Yummy!!

Cataholic
11-22-2010, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the explanation! Still wondering why they are called French, as we NEVER cut green beans this way, and we do not use fried onions from cans...:D But I was also told the French's onions was also a brand...

Anyway, if someone has a picture of the green bean casserole to share, I am interested to see what it looks like :)

WHAT??? Next, you will tell us that you don't make french toast and french fries!:D

shais_mom
11-22-2010, 06:17 PM
I decided I could not serve the green bean casserole with French's onions unless I had tried the recipe. Last night I just made 1/2 of the recipe with one can of green beans and half a can of the mushroom soup. Turns out I don't really care for this dish. I didn't hate it but it also didn't really "grab" me. Now I am thinking of making that Pioneer Woman recipe or the sweet and sour if someone will give me the recipe for the sweet and sour green beans. ;)

Otherwise, it may just be plain old green beans. :D

Try the sweet and sour - I pm'ed you back. I'd be interested in seeing how the pioneer woman's version is. We went decades without having green bean casserole at any of our functions. I started making it but now I've overdosed on it - blekkk I made it for Christmas last year and I swore it was the last time in a long time! tho I might do the PW or the sweet and sour sometime!
the key to the sweet and sour ones is let them simmer and then they become almost candy like. ;)

Sonia59
11-23-2010, 02:58 AM
WHAT??? Next, you will tell us that you don't make french toast and french fries!:D

OK, French fries are actually...Belgian! Ask Lut, she can confirm!:D But yes, we make them :D

What do you call French toast:confused: Something with bread and stuff on it?

But coming back to the lengthwise cut green beans, really, I do not understand why they are cut like this? What a weird idea :D Does it change something to the taste?

Cataholic
11-23-2010, 06:04 AM
OK, French fries are actually...Belgian! Ask Lut, she can confirm!:D But yes, we make them :D

But coming back to the lengthwise cut green beans, really, I do not understand why they are cut like this? What a weird idea :D Does it change something to the taste?

LOL. French toast is bread (usually a thicker slice) soaked in egg and fried in a pan.

I imagine the french cut green beans are a marketing gimmick, as many people will buy something because it is 'special'. Add the word 'rare' or 'imported' and the value probably goes up 25%. :p

I don't think it changes the taste any but it does change the texture of the whole bean, as it is slimmer and finer. BUT, I like green beans any way...

happylabs
11-23-2010, 08:31 AM

French Toast is not really French but it is YUMMY! I found an article online which explains: "medieval European cooks who needed to use every bit of food they could find to feed their families. They knew old, stale bread (French term *pain perdu* literally means *lost bread*) could be revived when moistened and heated. Cooks would have added eggs for additional moisture and protein." Interesting!

http://www.cheftalk.com/forum/thread/8142/the-origin-of-the-french-toast

We put maple syrup and butter on it. Recently a chain restaurant, IHOP, has been advertising stuffed French Toast which is stuffed with fruit and then toasted and topped with whip cream. I drool at that commercial. :p

happylabs
11-23-2010, 08:35 AM

The french cut green beans a pretty. :D
I usually buy that type for special occasions. :)

Sonia59
11-23-2010, 09:33 AM
LOL! Indeed, French toast seems to be what we call "Pain perdu" (lost bread). We just call it differently :D I agree it's yummy :)

Cataholic, you are right, what sounds "exotic" is sold better!

Sorry for hijacking the thread, I was just intrigued by the terms employed :o

happylabs
11-23-2010, 01:57 PM
LOL! Indeed, French toast seems to be what we call "Pain perdu" (lost bread). We just call it differently :D I agree it's yummy :)

Cataholic, you are right, what sounds "exotic" is sold better!

Sorry for hijacking the thread, I was just intrigued by the terms employed :o

Oh I don't mind. I love talking about food!

jennielynn1970
11-24-2010, 07:00 PM
Whew..... ok, that casserole is labor intensive. I started putting it together at about 6:45, and I just got the ALMOST finishing touches on it at 7:45. I still have to make the home made onion rings for on top, but I'm doing that tomorrow so that they are crispy and firm and not stale and flat. It smells heavenly already. I can't wait to eat it tomorrow!! I hope someone else will want to try to make it too, cause it really is yummy!!

caseysmom
11-24-2010, 07:35 PM
Whew..... ok, that casserole is labor intensive. I started putting it together at about 6:45, and I just got the ALMOST finishing touches on it at 7:45. I still have to make the home made onion rings for on top, but I'm doing that tomorrow so that they are crispy and firm and not stale and flat. It smells heavenly already. I can't wait to eat it tomorrow!! I hope someone else will want to try to make it too, cause it really is yummy!!

I will try it sometime when I don't have to make turkey, potatoes, gravy, stuffing, salad, appetizers, cranberry sauce...etc.

Almost got the house all clean and all my shopping is done...

K9karen
11-26-2010, 08:53 PM
when you have it along with 50 other dishes and you are half drunk and in a trytophan coma its not too bad:d

romal!

K9karen
11-26-2010, 08:54 PM
When you have it along with 50 other dishes and you are half drunk and in a trytophan coma its not too bad:D

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Ain't that the truth!!!!