PDA

View Full Version : SO excited and happy, but I dont want them to be slaughtered!!!

sana
11-16-2010, 12:53 PM
At this time of the year, we people have Eid-ul-Azha and so there are lots of sacrificing and slaughtering of goats, camels, cows and sheep. It will be fun going over and feeding the animals and the Eid day here in Pakistan will be in...12 mins!!! I am soo excited! I love going over and feeding the camels, goats and sheep and the cows.
My cousin's live across the street and so in the plot right next to their house, that is the point of gathering! lol! Lots of animals for slaughtering are gathered there and we watch the animals from their house, I call it sight-seeing ;) In around 9-10 hours I will go over at their house and see all the animals and then alter go over to the plot and pat as many as I can. I called them and heard that there were like 27 cows, over 50 goats and 1 CAMEL, only one this time, there are usually two or three, :) And there are two sheep, ONLY TWO! Wow! There didn't use to be any before, :( I am SOOO EXCITED!!! I really wanna go over to the plot, NOW! But, the sad part id the slaughtering, :(
I will upload load of pictures when i come back from the plot, Bye! :) Good Night to me because its 11:53 pm here! :eek:

Karen
11-16-2010, 01:08 PM
Aww give them all a hug from me - or a pat, whichever they like better.

sana
11-16-2010, 01:09 PM
haha!! sure Karen, but the cows, some are a little bossy :p ate time one of them didn't let any goat some near it and it had BIG horns, so I stayed away from patting it, :D

Freedom
11-16-2010, 04:24 PM
Do you have lights up on the houses for decoration? I know some folks here celebrate that holiday, and they have their lights up!

moosmom
11-16-2010, 05:45 PM
A guy from Nigeria living in Meriden, CT has been slaughtering goats for food. The neighbors complain that he's not disposing of the bodies properly and it's starting to smell.

There's a town council meeting tonight to decide what they're going to do.

HELLLOOOOOO??? You're in the United States NOT in Nigeria. Don't you have to have a butcher's license or something to slaugher animals for food???

I'm SO glad I don't live in Meriden. Can't wait to see how THIS is going to play out.

sana
11-16-2010, 06:22 PM
The skin of the goat and the part that isn't used is properly thrown away, not near houses, phew! The skin is sen to a hospital and I have NEVER EVER! been able to know why the hospital needs it, :confused:

moosmom
11-17-2010, 02:12 PM
Skin grafts perhaps???

smokey the elder
11-18-2010, 07:41 AM
I bet it's for skin grafts. In the US they use pigskin for the same purpose, but needless to say this isn't suitable for Muslims.

popcornbird
11-18-2010, 01:38 PM
Ahhh, Eid ul adha, my favorite time of the year. Hope you're having a great time Sana! Our Eid dinner was delicious. For some reason, the meat on Eid always tastes so much better than any other time of the year.

We got lots of gifts for our son, and he got to see sheep and goats for the first time. He was so excited!!

For those of you who don't know, Eid ul adha is celebrated by Muslims all over the world, in the memory of the sacrifice done by Prophet Abraham. It is the festival at the end of the Hajj, the annual pilgrimage to Makkah, and is a 4 day celebration. We sacrifice an animal (sheep, goat, cow, or camel) on any of these four days, and the meat is distributed to the poor, and amongst family and friends. We always have very special food and sweets in these days, and children are often given gifts.

It has always been my favorite time of the year since I was a child, and I continue to enjoy it tremendously. Such a special time with our loved ones.

popcornbird
11-18-2010, 01:43 PM
A guy from Nigeria living in Meriden, CT has been slaughtering goats for food. The neighbors complain that he's not disposing of the bodies properly and it's starting to smell.

There's a town council meeting tonight to decide what they're going to do.

HELLLOOOOOO??? You're in the United States NOT in Nigeria. Don't you have to have a butcher's license or something to slaugher animals for food???

I'm SO glad I don't live in Meriden. Can't wait to see how THIS is going to play out.

That's odd...I have never heard of anyone doing it at home here in the US. We always go to a ranch where things are done properly, in a hygienic way.

Karen
11-18-2010, 01:46 PM
How fun that Baby M got to meet sheep and goats for the first time! What a nice tradition to start!

My friend's daughter grew up near farms, so when she was almost three I gave her a little stuffed lamb (that Miss Hoppy had rejected) and when her mom asked, "Faith, what is that?" Instead of saying "Sheep" she said "Baaa baaa!" Close enough!

sana
11-18-2010, 03:07 PM
Sweeet story Karen! Such a cute baby girl! So sweet of her to sat baa baa! :D:love:

Popcornbird, we had a lovely time! I went over to cousin's home and then stayed there for nearly the rest of the day. The plot next to their house, always has goats or camels or sheep at Eid time. It is quite fun peeking over the garden wall ad seeing all the animals. We couldnt see the slaughtering of the camel or the cows, :( But, my cousin made a movie of it because he went AND he didnt tell us! :confused: Great to hear your son enjoyed, my little nephews were all sick and so was my sister and her husband and her in-laws, everybody in that lived in that big house, praying that they feel better soon. My bigger nephew saw me in my abaya and so started crying that I was going somewhere without him, :eek: I had to go over to my father's aunt's house because she lived a little far away so thats why I had to go in a car. We had to quieten him down and then we later sent him home and went off to my father aunt's home. :p

smokey..I dont know what skin grafts are. :confused:

Karen
11-18-2010, 03:37 PM
smokey..I dont know what skin grafts are. :confused:

Skin grafts are where they replace damaged or missing skin with a piece from somewhere else, or someone or something else. It is often done with burn victims whose skin is too damaged to heal. It's like putting a patch on a damaged garment - it may not fit perfectly, but it covers the problem, and keeps germs, etc., out.

sana
11-18-2010, 09:09 PM
Oh!! I still don't know why they need goat and cow skins

moosmom
11-19-2010, 06:33 AM
PCP,

Thanks for explaining the holiday. I worked with a devout Muslim at BB&B. My absolute FAVORITE manager!! One time he ordered Chinese food with vegetables only. They wound up delivering PORK fried rice!!!

sparks19
11-19-2010, 09:46 AM
Oh!! I still don't know why they need goat and cow skins

I guess cause sometimes human skin to do the grafts isn't readily available? that's probably why

lizbud
11-19-2010, 06:40 PM
We had a sheep slaughtered yesterday... It was so cute and shy. Really sweet. I will upload the pictures as soon as possible

:confused::confused:

sana
11-19-2010, 07:11 PM
It is good to sacrifice something you love for the sake of your God
I am happy I sacrificed something

pomtzu
11-20-2010, 06:49 AM
:confused::confused:

Ditto!

I certainly hope we aren't going to see pics of the sacrifice, or the end result!

sana
11-20-2010, 07:04 AM
Oh! please!!! I will only upload the live animal, not slaughtered ones! If anybody wants to see the slaughtered ones, you can PM me. I am not silly that I just upload them without asking first!:rolleyes:

pomtzu
11-20-2010, 07:10 AM
Oh! please!!! I will only upload the live animal, not slaughtered ones! If anybody wants to see the slaughtered ones, you can PM me. I am not silly that I just upload them without asking first!:rolleyes:

You never know. Stranger things have happened..........:eek:

Cataholic
11-20-2010, 08:51 AM
I am so thankful my God doesn't require me to sacrifice an animal in order to worship Him. :(

lizbud
11-20-2010, 09:58 AM
It is good to sacrifice something you love for the sake of your God
I am happy I sacrificed something

Couldn't you sacrifice something more personal to you, like a favorite toy,
a favorite dress or a week of doing some activity that you really enjoy doing?

Back in the ancient times a sheep or a cow was like money is today and
a sacrifice was a real sacrifice for the people giving it, but today it doesn't
mean what it did back then.

Look, I know you are a child so I won't belabor the point, but I am an animal
lover. That's why I joined PT. It is upsetting to hear of animal "sacrifice" in
this day & age and that's why I posted. Peace.

caseysmom
11-20-2010, 10:54 AM
The animals that are sacrificed are no doubt meant to be food, its not like they are sacrificing a pet dog or cat or something. I am also assuming the sacrificed animal is entirely eaten. I don't really see a problem, after I read fast food nation I think our country does some pretty disgusting things to animals making this look like nothing.

This is why I don't have a problem with hunting also.

pomtzu
11-20-2010, 12:18 PM

Nor do I if it's used for food, and not just a trophy hunt. The deer population could be more under control if there were seasons dedicated to "hunting for the hungry", where the deer kills were donated to organizations that could freeze the meat and distribute as necessary. Wouldn't this be a better idea than letting the deer starve to death, or become road kill when they come out of hiding, looking everywhere and anywhere for food? I saw 3 dead along the road in a 6 mile span as I drove into town a few days ago. Such a waste...:mad:

ETA: Sorry - that was off topic, wasn't it? It is not meant to be inflammatory - it's just my opinion and it doesn't make anyone else's opinion right or wrong.

Cataholic
11-20-2010, 02:48 PM
The animals that are sacrificed are no doubt meant to be food, its not like they are sacrificing a pet dog or cat or something. I am also assuming the sacrificed animal is entirely eaten. I don't really see a problem, after I read fast food nation I think our country does some pretty disgusting things to animals making this look like nothing.

I believe the animal sacrificed falls under the "or something" you referenced above. I, too, saw Fast Food Nation. I was appalled at the what I saw. I try to live as cruelty free/humane a life as possible, and believe that nothing else should die so that I might live.

I have a problem with gloating about a animal sacrifice- no matter that it was done in the name of religion- on a pet site. (IRL, I would probably shudder in horror, finding it hard to associate with that person again). Though I don't often travel into the hunting threads...I have read them a time or two, and I can't say that I have heard someone there gloat about the killing of an animal.

This thread sickens me. It offends my senses. I refrained from posting the first couple of times the OP posted...but when I saw her last post, re the pics, and her glee (for lack of a better word), I simply couldn't hold off. I don't think it has any place on a pet site- no matter what religious cloak it wears. :(

caseysmom
11-20-2010, 03:08 PM
My gut reaction was the same as yours. The more I think about it though it is a cultural difference. Most likely the OP has no idea how appaling it is to us.

sparks19
11-20-2010, 03:09 PM
I understand that this is a sensitive subject and is not everyones cup of tea but you are the master of what you read so if it bothers you my advice would be to stop reading it.

As long as the animals are killed in a humane way then I don't really see the issue. Her beliefs are not the same as mine but I understand that this is her culture and her beliefs. I'm also not against people in china eating cats. It's not my culture and I wouldn't do it but who am I to say it's wrong.

There is no good reason to delete the thread. If you can't stomach it don't read it. This thread opens a little door that allows us a peek into another culture.

caseysmom
11-20-2010, 03:18 PM
Also...really it is not different from a farmer raising a cow or a pig and then butchering it...really whats the difference? Many kids I know in 4H do the same thing.

Cataholic
11-20-2010, 03:56 PM
Also...really it is not different from a farmer raising a cow or a pig and then butchering it...really whats the difference? Many kids I know in 4H do the same thing.

If that 4-H'er came on here gloating, I would say the same thing. It is a Pet site....not a slaughter site, or a farm site, etc.

As for reading it or not, I suspected that would be an easy target. But, the fact remains, it is on a Pet site, with a fairly large "catchy" title. I think of others that might be bothered by it, but don't post. I think of a visitor to our site seeing it and thinking, "wow, this works for them?". Me? I am pretty used to having an opposing view, and feel strongly enough about my convictions to post and get flamed for it.

caseysmom
11-20-2010, 04:04 PM
If that 4-H'er came on here gloating, I would say the same thing. It is a Pet site....not a slaughter site, or a farm site, etc.

As for reading it or not, I suspected that would be an easy target. But, the fact remains, it is on a Pet site, with a fairly large "catchy" title. I think of others that might be bothered by it, but don't post. I think of a visitor to our site seeing it and thinking, "wow, this works for them?". Me? I am pretty used to having an opposing view, and feel strongly enough about my convictions to post and get flamed for it.

Well I agree with you that it doesn't belong here.

Karen
11-20-2010, 05:05 PM
I allowed this post, it is in The Dog House for a reason, as it deals with religion, and can be upsetting to people. Sana was posting that she was happy and excited to see the animals, but sad they would be slaughtered. In no way does she seem gleeful about the slaughter, it is just standard practice in her religion. These were not pets, but livestock raised for this purpose. As the thread title mentions slaughter, I thought that would be sufficient warning to anyone who might be upset about it to stay out of the thread and not read it.

sana
11-20-2010, 06:52 PM
Ok! Cataholic, pomtzu and lizbud. Listen up! Have you never eaten mutton or a goat's meat? Huh?! Well, I am dead sure you have! Have you ever thought where it came from? You must have eaten, pork, goat's meat, beef, camel's meat, chicken's meat or mutton. You must have eaten any ONE! Think of where its coming from..yes from the meat shop or you have an animal slaughtered..well, same here, so, on our Eid, we remember an ancient story, a great story from the past and we celebrate this day, don't YOU celebrate Jesus Christ's birthday?! You do RIGHT?! So, we celebrate this day in remembrance of a story from Ibrahim (Abraham)'s life! We celebrate this day by something he did, he was told to slaughter his son but Allah had better plans, He sent an angel down to put the son side and a ram in the place. So we were told by Allah to slaughter an animal (cow, sheep, goat, camel) in remembrance of the Prophet Ibrahim's act. We do NOT do butchery or we don't do cruelty to the animals! We are happy to see them because WE TOO are animal lovers, I am an animal lover and I love cows, sheep, goats and camels a lot! So, Allah told us to sacrifice something we love dearly for Him! And we sacrifice a goat, cow, sheep or a camel. From this we learn patience, self sacrifice. We like sacrificing things for Allah.

And if any of you have a problem, then don't post anything here, this thread is for those who have sense, a brain and a heart, people unlike you! Some people who have good thoughts like Karen, sparks19 or Freedom or moosmom who had enough sense to not disagree to another person's religion! People who know how to control their feelings, they might have some disagreements against my religion but they keep them to themselves and don't just blabber out! PM me if you wanna continue this argument, I'll be glad to help.

jennielynn1970
11-20-2010, 07:02 PM
How many of us have Lamb on EASTER.... think about what that symbolizes.

That's all I'll say about that.

Eid... I celebrated it with my ex boyfriend, who was from Egypt. It was a wonderful celebration over here. We got our meat from the halal store. I hope your Eid was a happy one, Sana!

caseysmom
11-20-2010, 07:32 PM
Ok! caseysmom, Cataholic, pomtzu, lizbud. Listen up! Have you never eaten mutton or a goat's meat? Huh?! Well, I am dead sure you have! Have you ever thought where it came from? You must have eaten, pork, goat's meat, beef, camel's meat, chicken's meat or mutton. You must have eaten any ONE! Think of where its coming from..yes from the meat shop or you have an animal slaughtered..well, same here, so, on our Eid, we remember an ancient story, a great story from the past and we celebrate this day, don't YOU celebrate Jesus Christ's birthday?! You do RIGHT?! So, we celebrate this day in remembrance of a story from Ibrahim (Abraham)'s life! We celebrate this day by something he did, he was told to slaughter his son but Allah had better plans, He sent an angel down to put the son side and a ram in the place. So we were told by Allah to slaughter an animal (cow, sheep, goat, camel) in remembrance of the Prophet Ibrahim's act. We do NOT do butchery or we don't do cruelty to the animals! We are happy to see them because WE TOO are animal lovers, I am an animal lover and I love cows, sheep, goats and camels a lot! So, Allah told us to sacrifice something we love dearly for Him! And we sacrifice a goat, cow, sheep or a camel. From this we learn patience, self sacrifice. We like sacrificing things for Allah.
And if any of you have a problem, then don't post anything here, this thread is for those who have sense, a brain and a heart, people unlike you! Some people who have good thoughts like Karen, sparks19 or Freedom or moosmom who had enough sense to not disagree to another person's religion! People who know how to control their feelings, they might have some disagreements against my religion but they keep them to themselves and don't just blabber out! PM me if you wanna continue this argument, I'll be glad to help.

You must not have read my posts very carefully, I was defending you. I only agreed with Cataholic that this is not the best place to post this.

sana
11-20-2010, 07:41 PM
ooopss....Sorry about that I was too angry over "some" Pters I am sorry to have said that to you :o I erased your name.

sana
11-20-2010, 07:45 PM
How many of us have Lamb on EASTER.... think about what that symbolizes.

That's all I'll say about that.

Eid... I celebrated it with my ex boyfriend, who was from Egypt. It was a wonderful celebration over here. We got our meat from the halal store. I hope your Eid was a happy one, Sana!

Yes, mine went great, Thank God because I didn't want mine to be like my class fellows, she doesn't really like animals so she doesn't enjoy Eid. She is also afraid of animals, :p Thanks for asking :)

Cataholic
11-20-2010, 08:31 PM
I allowed this post, it is in The Dog House for a reason, as it deals with religion, and can be upsetting to people. Sana was posting that she was happy and excited to see the animals, but sad they would be slaughtered. In no way does she seem gleeful about the slaughter, it is just standard practice in her religion. These were not pets, but livestock raised for this purpose. As the thread title mentions slaughter, I thought that would be sufficient warning to anyone who might be upset about it to stay out of the thread and not read it.

Is that the newest rule? That as long as the thread title warns people off, that it is appropriate to post? Wowsers.

This has nothing to do with what I think is right or wrong for others, and I just knew the religious cloak would come on. Knew it.

This is a pet site. You just gotta wonder why people continue to leave....

Catty1
11-20-2010, 08:38 PM
Cataholic - sana explains how this is a part of her faith. No one is cloaking anything here...it just seems it is a fact of that faith.

sasvermont
11-20-2010, 08:58 PM
I think the thread should be closed. I don't know that it is going anywhere nicely.

I, too, agree that this is a pet forum and slaughtering animals doesn't fit!

blue
11-20-2010, 10:03 PM
Is that the newest rule? That as long as the thread title warns people off, that it is appropriate to post? Wowsers.

This has nothing to do with what I think is right or wrong for others, and I just knew the religious cloak would come on. Knew it.

I think the thread should be closed. I don't know that it is going anywhere nicely.

I, too, agree that this is a pet forum and slaughtering animals doesn't fit!

So yalls intolerance get to dictate what gets posted in the "Dog House"?

I believe Karen is still the Mayor of PT, not either of you.

Sana and Popcornbird, thanks for sharing about Eid ul adha.

I hate to say it, but it is nice to see a positive side of the Muslim culture.

sana
11-21-2010, 12:45 AM
Thanks Karen, popcornbird, jenn, caseysmom, sparks19! :) Good to hear some PTers are nice! :)
But, blue, I didn't understand your last line.

popcornbird
11-21-2010, 03:12 AM
Oh yes, so the turkeys you all eat on Thanksgiving aren't slaughtered, right? Maybe we should consider Thanksgiving a cruel holiday. Just because you get it from a store doesn't mean it wasn't slaughtered.

It is a shame that anyone who eats meat consider this offensive, and I find it VERY sad that this is in the Dog House. It is like putting a post on Christmas in the Dog House.

The spirit of Eid is that of giving, sharing, sacrifice, and love. Every bit of the animal that is slaughtered is used for food. It is shared with those who do not have enough money to buy food all year. It is a joyous time for 1.2 billion people around the world. I find it really sad that anyone find this offensive.

If you don't want to eat meat, fine, but don't condemn the majority of the world that does. Our beloved pets eat meat, and so do we. It is natural, normal, and there is nothing wrong with it. To be a vegetarian is a choice, and to not be a vegetarian is a choice. No one is condemning the choice of vegetarians, and no one should condemn non-vegetarians.

Islam commands that we treat animals with tremendous kindness. These animals that are eaten on Eid are treated with love in their life. We are commanded to slaughter in the MOST humane way, and the typical meat available in the supermarkets is forbidden for us to eat because that method is not followed. I have seen sheep being slaughtered for food, and I can tell you they do not even cry once. Not once. It is such a quick method that their pain is kept at minimum.

I hate that EVERYONE demands respect. EVERYONE demands understanding. EVERYONE demands freedom. EVERYONE demands the right to make their own choices....yet when it comes to MUSLIMS, EVERYONE tries to condemn for things they do themselves. I'd like to see how any of you would feel if you were expected to defend yourself and your beliefs for everything. We have to defend ourselves for eating meat and sharing it with those who have nothing to put in their children's plates. Lovely...

You want me to criticize Christmas and see how you like it? Your holidays are not superior to ours. Do NOT demand respect if you do not know how to give it to others.

If you eat meat, you have no right to condemn this. And if you don't, I respect your choice, but you need to respect mine as well.

Abraham was one of God's greatest Prophets, and amongst the most beloved of God's men. To remember this great man who is known as a Prophet of God in the Jewish, Christian, and Muslim faiths is a matter of honor, not a matter to condemn.

And for anyone who says, "I'm glad my God doesn't do this or that..." there aren't a bunch of different gods who created different people. We all came from the same source. Its how you may think, but the truth of the matter is my God is the God who created me and you, and that really isn't a different god.

How terrible that anyone should hurt a child for sharing about a day that is so special to her, her family, and to people in lands from Africa to the Middle East, to Asia, through Europe, and throughout the Americas. It really shows the ignorance of the masses, and it is very, very sad. Look beyond what you 'see' on the 'media'. :rolleyes:

Sorry if I offended anyone, but I feel very hurt and annoyed right now.

DJFyrewolf36
11-21-2010, 05:00 AM
Very well said, Popcornbird. Sana, I'm glad you had a very good holiday. Sometimes I think people forget that there are other traditions in the world besides western culture.

ETA: Sana, I believe Blue was commenting on how in the US at least we get fed a lot of negative things about the muslim culture through the news and other media. It is nice to see someone that lives in that culture share some positive things about it.

sana
11-21-2010, 05:33 AM
Thanks DJ and thanks for telling me what blue meant

And I wanted to say (not only to DJ) I was happy that I sacrificed something for my God, don't think He is being cruel to me by telling me to let me go off something and be sad that I let it go. He isn't doing it for fun, He has wisdom in everything He does. I am happy to sacrifice something for Him, even if I loved it more than anything.

And popcornbird, WELL SAID!!! the reply was really well said! Thanks for replying and providing your insight into the matter. :D :)

pomtzu
11-21-2010, 06:44 AM
Ditto!

I certainly hope we aren't going to see pics of the sacrifice, or the end result!

Ok! Cataholic, pomtzu and lizbud. Listen up! Have you never eaten mutton or a goat's meat? Huh?! Well, I am dead sure you have! Have you ever thought where it came from? You must have eaten, pork, goat's meat, beef, camel's meat, chicken's meat or mutton. You must have eaten any ONE! Think of where its coming from..yes from the meat shop or you have an animal slaughtered..well, same here, so, on our Eid, we remember an ancient story, a great story from the past and we celebrate this day, don't YOU celebrate Jesus Christ's birthday?! You do RIGHT?! So, we celebrate this day in remembrance of a story from Ibrahim (Abraham)'s life! We celebrate this day by something he did, he was told to slaughter his son but Allah had better plans, He sent an angel down to put the son side and a ram in the place. So we were told by Allah to slaughter an animal (cow, sheep, goat, camel) in remembrance of the Prophet Ibrahim's act. We do NOT do butchery or we don't do cruelty to the animals! We are happy to see them because WE TOO are animal lovers, I am an animal lover and I love cows, sheep, goats and camels a lot! So, Allah told us to sacrifice something we love dearly for Him! And we sacrifice a goat, cow, sheep or a camel. From this we learn patience, self sacrifice. We like sacrificing things for Allah.

Excuse me young lady, but you need to get down off that high horse of yours, and read what is posted before you go off on a rampage!

Take time and read again what I said!!!!! I said that I hoped you were not going to post pictures and that was all, since that's what you indicated you intended to do. If you find that innocent comment offensive, then so be it!!! I have sense, a brain and a heart, and I don't appreciate your implications toward me.

If you want to come here and play with the big people (adults), then grow up and stop acting like a whiny little teeny-bopper.

pomtzu
11-21-2010, 07:49 AM

You hit the nail on the head Johanna - and you know what I'm talking about. How silly of me to come back with the hopes that things might have changed some. They haven't, and never will, I'm afraid. This place just isn't what it used to be, and the change has not been for the good. Sad indeed! :(

Karen
11-21-2010, 08:16 AM
I have always asked that folks be respectful of each other, and I am sorry that people posting about a beloved religious tradition has upset you.

Please folks, let it drop.

popcornbird
11-21-2010, 11:54 AM
I feel sorry for all the turkeys in the US. Poor things...thousands will be killed on Thanksgiving. How terrible to give thanks over a slaughtered and roasted turkey. How could you not love the poor innocent animals?

And please don't post turkey recipes or post pictures of your amazing thanksgiving dinners! It is highly offensive! Poor, poor turkeys!!!

Don't post about thanksgiving. Don't you see that it is a pet website? People get highly offended by your roast turkeys!!

Don't post pictures of your thanksgiving dinners either. We don't want to see the end result...families smiling and laughing together around a table with a poor roast turkey in the middle, being gleefully devoured by all.

Don't feed your cats and dogs any meat either. Let them hunt it on their own. Buying it from the grocery store makes you supportive of the meat industry.

My point of posting? Enough with the hypocrisy!!!

lizbud
11-21-2010, 12:24 PM
I feel sorry for all the turkeys in the US. Poor things...thousands will be killed on Thanksgiving. How terrible to give thanks over a slaughtered and roasted turkey. How could you not love the poor innocent animals?

And please don't post turkey recipes or post pictures of your amazing thanksgiving dinners! It is highly offensive! Poor, poor turkeys!!!

Don't post about thanksgiving. Don't you see that it is a pet website? People get highly offended by your roast turkeys!!

Don't post pictures of your thanksgiving dinners either. We don't want to see the end result...families smiling and laughing together around a table with a poor roast turkey in the middle, being gleefully devoured by all.

Don't feed your cats and dogs any meat either. Let them hunt it on their own. Buying it from the grocery store makes you supportive of the meat industry.

Didn't you read Karen's post, or don't you care what she thinks?

Cataholic
11-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Dern it, Liz! You beat me to it. I thought Indiana was on the same time as Ohio...but you must be an hour ahead. :)

lizbud
11-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Dern it, Liz! You beat me to it. I thought Indiana was on the same time as Ohio...but you must be an hour ahead. :)

They don't call me "flyin fingers" for nothin. :D I was posting another
subject because I read that Karen called for a time out here. I have plenty
more to say on this thread, but held back because the Moderator asked
us to do that.

caseysmom
11-21-2010, 12:40 PM

Hey that came wrapped in white plastic in my local grocery store so its okay! I am just teasing, I think a lot of americans are removed from the point from animal to wrapped in platic in the grocery store...

Cataholic
11-21-2010, 12:45 PM
They don't call me "flyin fingers" for nothin. :D I was posting another
subject because I read that Karen called for a time out here. I have plenty
more to say on this thread, but held back because the Moderator asked
us to do that.

Yeah, I had lots more to say, too. But, as I have always maintained, it is the moderator's board, and when she says, "stop", I do. :eek:

popcornbird
11-21-2010, 01:11 PM
Didn't you read Karen's post, or don't you care what she thinks?

Actually I do care about what Karen thinks, and I know that she knows that about me. As far as I understood, she was talking to the people who were disrespecting a very special holiday to people all over the globe. I was one of the people sharing about the holiday, which, if you are a Christian, open up your bible and read. YOUR God told the same story of Prophet Abraham and his sacrifice in YOUR holy scriptures. Same applies if you are a Jew...open up the Torah.

caseysmom
11-21-2010, 01:17 PM
PCB I truly don't think anyone was disrespecting your traditions or religion. I think if I lived on a farm and went into detail about the turkey I was going to slaughter folks would feel the same.

The recipe for cooking the turkey seems more "removed" for most people I guess.

I eat meat but I don't even like to see a fish get killed. I couldn't pick the lobster I was going to eat like some do, but I will eat lobster, does that make sense?

popcornbird
11-21-2010, 01:26 PM
PCB I truly don't think anyone was disrespecting your traditions or religion. I think if I lived on a farm and went into detail about the turkey I was going to slaughter folks would feel the same.

I eat meat but I don't even like to see a fish get killed. I couldn't pick the lobster I was going to eat like some do, but I will eat lobster, does that make sense?

Anyone who loves animals doesn't 'like' to see animals being killed...but it is a fact of life. If you eat meat, an animal was killed to feed you, plain and simple.

I don't 'like' to see animals killed...I adore animals and would actually love to have a pet goat. It's just that I am not going to put my head under the sand and pretend to think the meat that I eat wasn't killed.

Just so everyone knows, I was not trying to disrespect those who eat turkey for thanksgiving...I was just saying, it is exactly the same thing. I would fight against the mistreatment of animals any day. In fact, my religion commands me to be good to animals, with many stories that those who show kindness towards God's living creatures earn great reward from God, and those who are cruel towards them earn His anger and punishment. Eating meat just doesn't fall under the same category.

Bonny
11-21-2010, 01:43 PM

Talking about a farm animal. One time we loaded up a heifer we raised from a baby to go to the butcher. She was in the trailer & I walked up to the trailer & I thanked her for giving herself to us. There are prayers said over the table at all houses in thanks for the food God has given us. In the making of kosher meat prayers are said. Amen to all of that which is given to us.

Cataholic
11-21-2010, 01:54 PM

Good Gravy, of course anyone wasn't disrespecting anyone's religion. That is what is so infuriating for me. This has nothing to do with religion, culture, the moon, Thanksgiving OR Eid. This has to do with the single and sole fact that this.is.a.pet.site. The OP was not lamenting about the holiday, read the title of the thread! She then posted how she might post pics. NOT of the celebration of Eid, but about the slaughter. On.a.pet.site.

I don't care if the person was the biggest Christian in the WORLD. If that person, came on here, and as part of a Thanskgiving thread, told the gory details of the killing of the turkey, I would call a spade a spade in the same way I commented on the OP's posting. It has nothing to do with being a vegetarian, a moon worshippper, a beefalogist. It has to do with extolling the virtues of a slaughter of an animal, on.a.pet.site.

Anyone who loves animals doesn't 'like' to see animals being killed...but it is a fact of life. If you eat meat, an animal was killed to feed you, plain and simple.

I try so hard not to respond to you publically, as I know it effects our relationship privately, but I just have to comment on this. There are many, many, many things that are a fact of life. Many. I would never comment on them on a pet site. That many people eat meat is not the point (and of course, you know I refrain). It has nothing to do with Eid, and you know I have questioned you much about your faith, and customs, and I always find it interesting. It is ONLY because the OP talked of slaughter, which I can only imagine is such a tiny part of the entire celebration (right???), and so much was NOT said about any other part...but it was on the focus of the slaughter. THAT is what I find offensive- for a pet site, my own personal feelings aside.

And, if Karen meant that only people in favor of slaughter +/- muslim's are permitted to respond after her request not to, I stand down.

Karen
11-21-2010, 03:58 PM
I will close this thread now, as I think everything that needs to be said has been said.

I am glad Sana didn't post pictures of the animals - she was going to post them before the slaughter, by the way, never said she was going to post of the slaughter, but realized even that would be too sad.

And funny enough, Popcornbird, most of the Thanksgiving recipes being shared have nothing to do with the turkey - the sides are the fun part that people will experiment with!

I never meant only people of one religion should post in this thread, or any.