PDA

View Full Version : Night walks: will this work?

Freedom
11-14-2010, 06:19 PM
I now have 5 dogs that get a walk at night; we've changed the clocks back, it is DARK.
Tonight 2 of them pooped; I could NOT find to pick it up! They don't 'go' under a street light, oh no. They go in the darkest spot on the entire route. I'll have to go get it in the morning.

Wondering if this will work so I can find what I need to:
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/62036?feat=65536-ppxs&dds=y

They also have this one, and the review is from a dog walker. Thing is, I think she has ONE dog, lol. I'm not sure I can manage this one. I've tried a flashlight, when I had 4 dogs and it was just too much. Even when I switch over tot he 4 way coupler in the bad weather. Keep in mind, a few more weeks and I will be wearing my mittens (the tops open for glove tops) as well.
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/62041?feat=pprv

Either one, I can put my rechargeable batteries in, so that will be good.
Anyone with other suggestions, I am also interested in what works for you!

Varga
11-14-2010, 06:36 PM
Well, I doubt that the collar will work.. even though it would be nice for other purposes. I'm thinking if a dog accidentally gets lose in the dark, then you can still see where it is. And just basically as a nice way to make sure that cars notice you and so on.

But the reason I think it would work to find poop, is because if I think about how Taggart acts when it comes to that. Usually it's like; get business done, wipe paws and then quickly march on. So any kind of light which that collar would provide would be long gone after the pooch has done its business so it's not going to help much with finding any left overs, heh.

As for the other one... It basically just seems like a fancy flash-light and since you already tried that, I doubt this one will make much of a difference.

I don't really have this problem myself to be honest, since first of all I only have one dog, so that makes it a lot easier for me.
And also Taggart deserves praise since he usually goes in the same area every time and that area is well lit at night... AND it's also very conveniently close to a garbage container, so for that he gets an extra plus, hehe :D

Edit: I just realised that the first one wasn't a collar at all but a headlamp. Silly me! :o

That does definitely seem handy though. You have your hands free and you shine the light where ever it is your looking, so that should definitely be helpful for finding hidden things in the grass. I say give it a go! :)

Karen
11-14-2010, 06:40 PM
I was thinking the headlamp even before I clicked the link - something you can manage without needing to have your hands free. Other than feeding something odd so their poop glows in the dark, I think that's probably you best option. A lighted collar illuminated the wrong end of the situation, so wouldn't be much help!

Taz_Zoee
11-14-2010, 06:43 PM
I think the headlamp is your best bet. I see people wearing these when they jog early in the morning. The hand held light would be way too much to deal with having 5 dogs.

Glow in the dark poop! LOL That's hilarious!!!

Freedom
11-14-2010, 06:56 PM
Glow in the dark poop! LOL That's hilarious!!!

Now that WOULD solve my problem! :D Thanks Karen, he heeee.

Yup, I am leaning to the headlamp too.

MonicanHonda
11-14-2010, 10:05 PM
I've seen a leash (might be flexi) that has a light inside the leash... dunno if that would work...
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=leash+with+flashlight&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=6875393605495829221&ei=ybHgTJKLI4P6lwfLnuX1Aw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CB4Q8wIwAA#

Freedom
11-15-2010, 07:10 AM
That is interesting, thanks Monica. Illegal in my city, however. We aren't allowed to use retractable leashes; dogs must be on a lead not more than 6 foot in length.

Apart from that, I wonder if I would have more struggles untangling the inevitable mess of leashes. . . .

Freckles
11-15-2010, 07:38 AM
:eek: You'd need FIVE at $20 each?
It show 4 colors. Is that for the collar or the lamp housing?
Good luck

Freedom
11-15-2010, 08:48 AM
Freckles, they are a headband that goes on ME, the human!!

They are not collars which go on the dogs, he he heeee.

MonicanHonda
11-15-2010, 08:55 AM
They are!??! That must be sooo nice. LOL!!! :)

Cataholic
11-15-2010, 10:46 AM
I use a flashlight, but I only have one dog. When I do the overnight fosters, I leave the poop until the next morning, unless it is a very tame/calm dog. I can't risk having my attention diverted to clean up poop, risking a flight of a dog stressed. I figure my neighbors see me out there picking up poop all.the.time, and they must know I would get it. LOL. I even pick up trash/other poop, just to keep me in their good graces.

SWHouston
11-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Freedom,

HA, I wonder if that would be a good choice for me (the headband for me).
I think I'd rather give it to my male Yorkie, at night, he knows a lot better where we're going than I do ! :D

Have a good Day ! :)
S.W.

Freedom
11-15-2010, 01:42 PM
I have decided to get this HEADBAND, instead:
http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3781621

I LOVE the French Rose color I can get it on Amazon.com w/free shipping.

The first headband, there were a few reviews which gave me pause; folks have difficulty accessing the battery compartment. This one by Petzl has nothing but good reviews.