PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving family recipes?

gini
11-13-2010, 10:23 AM
I am cooking this Thanksgiving and I started thinking about some of my recipes. I have my Grandmother's Date Nut Pudding that is my brother's favorite. We always had that when we were little.

Do any of you have any favorite recipes that you want to share or tell us about?

caseysmom
11-13-2010, 10:39 AM
I am doing Thanksgiving this year I am so glad you started this thread.

I actually have some questions. If I buy a frozen turkey this weekend is this to soon to just let it thaw in the fridge? Also does anyone have brand preference with the turkeys? Our local grocery stores sell them really cheap if you spend 20 dollars but I am not sure about the quality and the brands, does it make a difference?

Back to the original question, I am famous for my mashed potatoes...I put a lot of half and half and butter in them.

Bonny
11-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Keep the turkey frozen until a day or two before you prepare it for the oven. It should say on the directions what to do. The thawing time goes by the number of pounds of the bird. I buy the store brand, & prefer hens, they are less stringy. Buying one with a button that pops out also, but then I have heard they can be over cooked by the time the button pops out? I charcoal grill the turkey outdoors. If it is too cold then it gets put into the oven. I like to mix up onion, butter, garlic, salt, pepper into a paste & work it under the skin all over the turkey. It keeps it more moist & the drippings make a delicious gravy.

Twice baked potatos using half & half, cream cheese, milk, garlic salt, salt, pepper & paprika is always good.

caseysmom
11-13-2010, 11:24 AM
A day or two until it goes in the oven...that would be a frozen turkey..they take a day per 4 pounds so if I got a 20 pound turkey that would be 5 days...they say thats the forumula and not to let it be in the fridge for more than 4 days thawed so that would be 9 days...I guess I just don't understand when I see all these fresh turkeys being sold now.

Randi
11-13-2010, 11:29 AM
I'm sorry, but we don't do turkey over here much. I find it is quite dry and doesn't taste of much. Of course, a good stuffing helps.

We have roast duck for Christmas, which is one of my absolute favourites!!

Gini, the food you have as a child that your mom or grandmother made is so special, isn't it. :) I loved the pickled? prunes my mom used to make - it was a recipe my grandmother also used. I managed to get the recipe before my youngest aunt died, so I have made it several times after. Have to be on your toes, though, because those prunes you can only get in August.

I searched the web for a Danish duck recipe written in English, so here is a typical one:

http://www.wonderful-denmark.com/danish-christmas-dinner.html

If you can get a good duck, you really should try it! So yummy! If you have questions about this, do ask!

The dessert "Ris a la Mande" is also one of my favourites.

A question for you, Caseysmom: Half and half of what? And I think a turkey would defrost in a fridge in 3 days. ;)

Grace
11-13-2010, 11:53 AM
Growing up in Rhode Island, we always had turnips on Thanksgiving - along with everything else.

I know turnip is an acquired taste, but came across this recipe years ago; even one of my grandsons likes this. The bread crumbs, eggs and sugar seem to ease up the turnip taste a bit.

WHIPPED TURNIP CASSEROLE

3 pounds turnips
1/4 pound butter
1 & 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 & 1/2 teaspoons salt
few grains pepper
3 eggs
1 cup soft bread crumbs
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Wash and pare turnips. Cut into 1/2 “ slices. Cook in small amount boiling, salted water until tender – 20 to 25 minutes. Drain and mash.

Add butter, sugar, salt and pepper – mix well. I use my hand-held mixer for this.

Add eggs, one at a time. Beat until fluffy. Mix in bread crumbs and lemon juice.

Bake at 375° for 50 minutes.

This can be made a day ahead, refrigerated; then bake the next day.

Karen
11-13-2010, 01:21 PM
Half and half of what?

In American grocery stores, they sell "Half & Half" which is half milk and half cream, folks most often use it in their coffee, which is not as heavy and calorie-laden as using cream.

And Randi, your mentioning duck reminds me, when I was a child, my mom started a food pantry with the various churches in our town, it was quite an ecumenical endeavor. It is a small town, and it took a lot of effort to convince others that there was a need - because they never saw anyone begging on the street, they were ignorant of the poor families who were struggling to feed themselves. She made a special effort at Christmas, to make sure each family got a special basket with everything for a big Christmas dinner, and included a turkey large enough for each household, depending how many people lived there. She went on many of the deliveries herself, full of holiday cheer, and was a bit taken aback when one woman sniffed at her and informed her that a turkey just would NOT do, she expected a goose!

Randi
11-13-2010, 01:49 PM
Thanks Karen! Ok, so half and half is what probably what we call coffee cream here. I prefer milk in my coffee myself.

You're ON NOW!! :D

Your mother sounds like she was an amazing woman. No wonder she was taken aback when that woman turned her nose on a turkey! What gratitude! :(

caseysmom
11-13-2010, 02:37 PM
I have tried thawing before and usually at least give the turkey 4 days, 3 days isn't quite enough for a 20lb and above turkey I am just concerned because I want to buy it ahead and I'm not sure if my freezer is large enough.

One other trick on the mashed potatoes is using Yukon gold..they are soooo yummy.

One thing I won't do from scratch is gravy...so anyone have any idea on the best canned gravy?

caseysmom
11-17-2010, 01:04 PM
How does everyone cook their turkey? For years I have put mine in a roasting bag...just wondering if I should try something new this year....

jennielynn1970
11-17-2010, 02:09 PM
My nephew loves the old fashioned green bean casserole, but everyone else at my house HATES it! So, I was watching the food network, and the bleachy blonde guy who does all the diners drive inns and dives did THIS recipe. IT ROCKS!!! It's labor intensive, can be done a day ahead, but it is worth it!!

The Mean Green
For the Beans:
2 pounds green beans, ends trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces (weighed prior to trimming)
4 strips bacon, cut into 1/2-inch slices
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large Vidalia sweet onion, 1/2 cut into large dice, 1/2 reserved
1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 2 by 1/2-inch pieces
4 shittake mushrooms, cut into 1/2-inch strips
4 oyster mushrooms, cut into 1/2-inch strips
1 tablespoon minced shallots
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

For the Roux
1/4 cup butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups panko bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large pot of boiling water, blanch green beans. Remove to an ice bath until cool, drain and let dry.

Lightly butter a 13 by 9 by 2-inch glass baking dish.

In a large frying pan, over medium-high heat, saute bacon until lightly crispy, remove bacon to a paper towel lined plate to drain. In remaining bacon fat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil, heat over medium-high heat, add onions and saute until just starting to caramelize, add in red bell peppers, saute 2 minutes, add in mushrooms and minced shallot and saute for 2
more minutes. Season with the salt, pepper and cayenne. Set aside.

For the roux:
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. When butter is melted, add in flour, all at once and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until well combined. Continue to stir for 1 minute more. Add in milk 1/2 cup at first, stirring well to combine, then add 1 cup more milk, stir to combine and bring to a simmer, then add final 1/2 cup of milk and stir and simmer until thickened. Add in seasonings, combine with green bean mixture and pour into prepared pan. Top with 1 1/2 cups panko crumbs, then reserved bacon, then remainder of panko lightly sprinkled on top.

Place in oven, set timer for 35 minutes.

For the Topping
1/2 cup buttermilk
Reserved 1/2 Vidalia onion, thinly sliced, with a mandoline
3 medium shallots, thinly sliced with a mandoline
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
4 cups canola oil

In a medium bowl place buttermilk, onion, and shallots. Let sit 10 minutes, drain well.
In a medium bowl, combine flour and seasonings. When green beans have been in the oven 25 minutes, in a large frying pan, heat canola oil to 350 degrees F. While oil is heating, dredge drained onion and shallots in flour mixture. Drop carefully into the hot oil, 1/3 at a time. They will cook rapidly, 1 minute or less. Turn over if necessary. Remove and drain on paper
towels. Let oil heat between batches.

When timer goes off for green beans, take out of oven, top with onion-shallot mixture, evenly coating the casserole, place back into oven and continue to cook for 5 more minutes. Remove and let set 5 minutes before serving.

caseysmom
11-17-2010, 02:14 PM
You've got to be kidding me...I got tired just reading that :D

I like opening 2 cans of beans, a can of mushroom soup and a can of onions.

jennielynn1970
11-18-2010, 10:04 AM
Nope, it's the home made or nothing for me. Come to my house, I'll make it for ya! :D

caseysmom
11-18-2010, 10:47 AM
I usually do homemade all the way but on thanksgiving I have the turkey, the potatoes, etc plus making the house presentable. I will cut corners on some things, like the biscuits, the gravy and the beans.