PDA

View Full Version : Question about topical flea meds.

MoonandBean
11-12-2010, 08:34 AM
Does anyone have any experience with Advantage Multi? Frontline doesn't seem to be working anymore.

Freedom
11-12-2010, 03:23 PM
I'd not even heard of it, so did a search and found this:
http://www.discountpetmedicines.com/advantage-multi-flea-heartworm.htm

It sounds like a new product. Also addresses heartworm, so if you switch to this, you need to make sure you stop any other heartworm treatments; not good to double up.

Were you using Frontline Top Spot, or Frontline Plus?
I use Frontline Plus; it kills both adults AND flea eggs and larva. Frontline Top Spot does not.

Since you said you are having issues, I just wondered which Frontline you had.

lizbud
11-13-2010, 09:31 AM
Do you just want to target fleas & ticks? My Vet sells only Vectra now.
I've used both Frontline Plus & Advantage & they both worked for us.

What is the (Multi?)

Freedom
11-13-2010, 11:28 AM
Hey Deb,

Advantage Multi does NOT do anything for ticks! Are they a problem in your area?

I would really hesitate to use a new product on my dogs. Even though it has been tested and approved, many times things start showing up once an item goes to market. I don't need my pups to be guinea pigs!

MonicanHonda
11-13-2010, 11:51 AM
I have heard a lot about Frontline Plus not working in certain areas anymore... the fleas and such are becoming immune to it. I would check out Comfortis...

MoonandBean
11-13-2010, 01:07 PM
Thanks everyone. Sandie...I've been using Frontline Plus but I have to admit, I skipped a month right before this problem started. I think I have the situation under control. Ticks ARE an issue so I've realized Advantage isn't the right one. Have heard good things about Vectra and Comfortis....if the problem persists, I'll see about those.

Another question, does anyone give their dogs garlic?

Freedom
11-13-2010, 01:11 PM
Yes, I do. I buy the jar of minced garlic at the supermarket. For my size dogs, not more than 1/4 teaspoon per day, I just add it to their food.

Catlady711
11-13-2010, 07:06 PM
I have heard a lot about Frontline Plus not working in certain areas anymore... the fleas and such are becoming immune to it. I would check out Comfortis...

We don't carry Comfortis where I work for several reasons...

1) flea has to bite the dog to get the medicine
2) Kills only adult fleas, does nothing for the other lifestages. (adult fleas are only 5% of the flea population, each female flea lays 2,000 eggs in her lifetime)

We are currently carrying Frontline Plus (many people aren't having an issue with it), and Vectra 3D for those that have a greater tick problem or Frontline isn't working. We carry Revolution for the cats.

MonicanHonda
11-13-2010, 11:54 PM
We give garlic. Just careful about the dose. I believe a 1/4 clove for a 50 lbs dog or so...

MoonandBean
11-14-2010, 07:26 AM
Thanks everyone!