PDA

View Full Version : Why I Respect Betty White

Karen
11-11-2010, 12:36 PM
Betty White has been all over the news lately, and has had a late-career resurgence of popularity. Most people know, at least I hope Pet Talkers do - that she is a major dog lover and strong supporter of many animal charities as well. But besides all that, I just get the feeling she is a real, decent human being, as well as a gifted performer.

Today in the news is a story that she has accomplished a lifelong dream: she has been made an honorary Forest Ranger (http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2010/11/11/betty-whites-dream-of-being-a-forest-ranger-comes-true/?hpt=T2), and presented with a badge and hat. She has wanted to be once since she was a girl, but at that time, women were not allowed.

But the real reason I am posting this now -

White was in D.C. for another Kennedy Center event in which Tina Fey was presented with the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor.

"It's a formal affair," White explained. "Would it be all right if I wore the hat?

You've just gotta respect that! I'd want to wear the hat, too!

cassiesmom
11-11-2010, 01:57 PM
I saw part of a program about her on Biography. I forgot that her character on the Mary Tyler Moore Show was kind of snarky. The character she played on the Golden Girls was super naive, and she really is not like that. SHe's on the board of the Los Angeles Zoo and o f course she's a huge animal advocate.

Freckles
11-11-2010, 03:46 PM
I'm probably the only one who remembers her as the hostess of "The Pet Set" in 1971. Variety of pets and well-known owners were on the show.

lizbud
11-11-2010, 04:26 PM
I am a big fan of hers too. I've always liked her in everything she's ever been
in. Of course, knowing that she is a ardent pet lover doesn't hurt either.:)

Catlady711
11-11-2010, 04:39 PM
I like Betty White, I love some of the animal causes she helps support. I just have never liked her partnering up with PetMeds as that hurts the veterinarians and long term the clients as well.

Marigold2
11-11-2010, 06:43 PM
Yes a smart lady, a career women who changed the world and didn't need to make babies to be forfilled.
More young girls should take her lead.

Daisy and Delilah
11-11-2010, 09:55 PM
Betty White always amazes me. How in the world does she do all she does and still look great and keep going? GO BETTY!!! I love her!!:D

sparks19
11-11-2010, 09:57 PM
Yes a smart lady, a career women who changed the world and didn't need to make babies to be forfilled.

Man you really have a hate on for people getting married and having kids. Makes me wonder.....

Seriously in soooooo many threads you say this. Regrets?

I Loooove Betty white. I'm so glad she has had such amazing success so late in life. It's incredible.

Every celebrity seems to have people who love and hate them but I don't know anyone who doesn't like Betty white. She seems so genuine and real even beyond her fame. So refreshing.

And I'm sure I've made errors but its fulfilled

caseysmom
11-11-2010, 11:32 PM
Man you really have a hate on for people getting married and having kids. Makes me wonder.....

I Loooove Betty white. I'm so glad she has had such amazing success so late in life. It's incredible.

Every celebrity seems to have people who love and hate them but I don't know anyone who doesn't like Betty white. She seems so genuine and real even beyond her fame. So refreshing.

Her children may not have forfilled her:p

lizbud
11-12-2010, 01:24 PM

I agree. It's very good advice to all young women.:)

p.s. pay no attention to the few snarky comments from the peanut gallery.:rolleyes:

lvpets2002
11-12-2010, 04:01 PM
:) I so aggree.. I just love the woman & all she stands for & does.. Go Go Betty