Marigold2
11-11-2010, 11:21 AM
That is so sad, really sad.

Catty1
11-11-2010, 11:42 AM
That IS pathetic. :(

Karen
11-11-2010, 11:57 AM
No offense Richard, but I think this is an "only in California!" :eek::rolleyes:

lizbud
11-11-2010, 12:02 PM
Instead of taking this as a chance to teach children about the inclusive
nature of America, they immediately want to avoid any talk or discussion
about it at all. Children must be taught, not hushed up.

Catlady711
11-11-2010, 04:51 PM
Yup, this country is going to the dogs (forgive the pun).

When we started changing the names of things to be more 'politically correct' out of FEAR that someone, heaven forbid, should be offended, that's when we opened the door to everything.

So now as not to offend anyone, you can no longer do anything, that somoene, somewhere, might, possibly be even the tiniest bit offended by, and that offends ME!

Lilith Cherry
11-11-2010, 04:56 PM
That is just pathetic! A child who is proud of his own country being discouraged to be patriotic:confused:

Cataholic
11-11-2010, 05:48 PM
I think we are looking at this from an adult position. As I readu the brief story, I saw that the district or school representative was talking about the tensions between two fighting "factions" and how the American flag might be inciting the situation. I believe schools must first educate, and do what is necessary on that end.

Bonny
11-11-2010, 05:57 PM
That just burns me. :mad: What about showing respect for your country & flying the flag on the school property that is federally funded. Come on people! How hypocritical can they be? The schools aren't educating in this case if there is so called TENSION. Blah! TO THEM! Adiots! :mad:

lizbud
11-11-2010, 06:27 PM
I think we are looking at this from an adult position. As I readu the brief story, I saw that the district or school representative was talking about the tensions between two fighting "factions" and how the American flag might be inciting the situation. I believe schools must first educate, and do what is necessary on that end.

Johanna, education doesn't only come from books or in a classroom setting.
Some kids with a Mexican flag & a kid with an American flag want to mix it
up over which is best,greater, whatever. A good teacher could take this
situation to sit them all down and explain the "idea" of AMERICA as a land of
all nationalities joining together as one nation, etc,etc.

We can all be justifiably proud of our family origins, but we are first citizens
of one country. Don't they teach History in schools anymore? ;)

RICHARD
11-11-2010, 06:49 PM
No offense Richard, but I think this is an "only in California!" :eek::rolleyes:

You are correct.

------------

Salinas is a mid Cali town with a large Mexican population.

And sad as I am to say this?

The local 'laws' are afraid of the little punk Mexicans that run around acting stupid over some kid with a flag on his bike.

Instead of explaining to the kids that this shiat will not be tolerated?

They take the easy way out and curb this kid's sense of patriotism. They never address the fact that they people who are a threat to this kid and instead of looking out for the little guy, they totally miss the point.

---------------------

Notice....

"We" always protect the moron who doesn't want GOD BLESS AMERICA on their money or sits during the National Anthem.

That's quite all right.....

F N Morons.

wombat2u2004
11-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Hang on.
This happened in America ????
You allow these people into your country and then you give them money and you feed them and then some idiot do-gooder speaks up for them because they are offended that some kid wants to fly the country flag of the nation they are living in ???
Wow!!! You're dollar ain't the only thing that's hit rock bottom.

Karen
11-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Hang on.
This happened in America ????
You allow these people into your country and then you give them money and you feed them and then some idiot do-gooder speaks up for them because they are offended that some kid wants to fly the country flag of the nation they are living in ???
Wow!!! You're dollar ain't the only thing that's hit rock bottom.

Not all of America, Wom, just one school in California. In what people think of as the Liberal Massachusetts, I see plenty of people flying American Flags, and kids with flags on backpacks when I pass the local high school. T'ain't all of us, I promise! Man, would my mother have marched up one side of that principal and down the other, had that ever happened to any of us!

wombat2u2004
11-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Not all of America, Wom, just one school in California. In what people think of as the Liberal Massachusetts, I see plenty of people flying American Flags, and kids with flags on backpacks when I pass the local high school. T'ain't all of us, I promise! Man, would my mother have marched up one side of that principal and down the other, had that ever happened to any of us!

Well thats good, I'm very glad to hear that it doesn't happen nationwide.
Maybe they should run that principal out of town.

blue
11-11-2010, 10:46 PM
Did anybody mention that it is insensitive to fly the American Flag in the USA on Cinco De Mayo?

Now its insensitive to fly the Stars and Bars on Veterans Day? We have lost.

wombat2u2004
11-11-2010, 10:48 PM
Now its insensitive to fly the Stars and Bars on Veterans Day? We have lost.

Insensitive to who ??? New AMERICANS ?????

blue
11-11-2010, 11:03 PM
Go lay down. This isnt your Veterans Day.

wombat2u2004
11-11-2010, 11:22 PM
This isnt your Veterans Day.

Ahhhhhhhhh......yes it is.

blue
11-12-2010, 12:05 AM
Ahhhhhhhhh......yes it is.

Well if you're an American Vet or Australia shares a Veterans Day I apologize.

phesina
11-12-2010, 04:41 AM
Nov. 11 is Veterans Day or Remembrance Day in many countries. I think the date is the day World War I ended.

wombat2u2004
11-12-2010, 07:38 AM
Nov. 11 is Veterans Day or Remembrance Day in many countries. I think the date is the day World War I ended.

Yep, you are right Phesina.
Remembrance Day, which was originally called Armistice Day, commemorated the end of the hostilities for the Great War (World War I), the signing of the armistice, which occurred on November 11, 1918 – the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month.
The symbol we use for the day is the Flanders Poppy, we get to wear them on our jackets. One of my medals (The Australian Defence Medal) has a ribbon that was modelled on the same colour of that flower.

http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae186/wombat2u2004/remembrance-day-aus.jpg

http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae186/wombat2u2004/74cb_12.jpg

Grace
11-12-2010, 08:48 AM
Remembrance (Armistice or Veterans) Day is observed in many countries around the world. All the Commonwealth countries for starters; others include France, Belgium, Germany, Italy, Ireland, Hong Kong, The Netherlands, Poland. It was originally dedicated by King George V.

John, your medal is beautiful. Thanks for sharing with us.

caseysmom
11-15-2010, 10:03 AM
This isn't too far from where I live. Today over 300 people showed up to support him on his ride to school, waving flags and supporting him, it was pretty awesome.

Bonny
11-15-2010, 01:42 PM
That is great to hear. Something postive came out of it. :D