PDA

View Full Version : This is really intriguing!

smokey the elder
11-11-2010, 09:11 AM
Tetris (TM) as a therapy for PTSD?

http://pagingdrgupta.blogs.cnn.com/2010/11/10/traumatized-playing-tetris-may-reduce-flashbacks/

One of my all-time favorite games may have new life in helping trauma victims. The research is very preliminary, but shows promise. Getting Nintendo (TM) thumb is better than being on drugs, IMO!

wombat2u2004
11-11-2010, 09:53 AM
Not sure if that would work old mate.
Still, it's worth a shot. Anything will help.

smokey the elder
11-11-2010, 12:57 PM
I think at the very least in the category of "couldn't hurt".

Queen of Poop
11-11-2010, 04:17 PM
It would seem the Tetris game is similar to the EMDR therapy my psychologist is using with me for my PTSD. I recall a particular event and we discuss it while a watch a green light go back and forth in a light bar. This is supposed to "fix" the issues in my brain. Guess I'm going to have to get this game! Probably cheaper than the psychologist sessions!:eek::eek:

wombat2u2004
11-11-2010, 06:51 PM
I'm on meds plus a counselling session with the shrink every 2 months.
It works most of the time, but I still have whacko days every now and again.
I think if I had a Tetra game given to me on those days, I'd probably pull the pin out of it and throw it at someone.

moosmom
11-11-2010, 07:35 PM
I have PTSD and my therapist started EMDR on me. She kept encouraging me to get out more and be around people more. I had a problem with one of my appts that conflicted with a pet sitting job. I tried to change the date and she got super pissed and cancelled me!! She then went onto tell me that I'm not "committed" enough to make it work and suggested, if I needed to talk to someone, to go to her "group therapy" every Wednesday. I haven't been back since. Still take the meds though.

Like Wom, I have my good days and bad days. Then there are the mediocre days. Somewhere between "what's it all about" and "who cares anyway".