PDA

View Full Version : adopting and older cat

lute
11-07-2010, 03:56 PM
When my bf and I went to the humane society to adopt our new hammies my bf fell in love with a 12lb 3yr old mildly obese grey male cat. He was a VERY pretty cat. We are not quite ready for a cat yet, so we didn't adopt the big guy. I was wondering though. What are the pros and cons of adopting and older cat vs. a young kitten? When I was young the only cats I ever had were kittens. The kittens were considered somewhat "disposable" to my household. My bf and I want to provide a good FOREVER home for every pet we have so we are doing it right. When it comes time to ask for advise i told my bf the #1 place to go is the good people of PT!LOL

moosmom
11-07-2010, 04:54 PM
Older cats are through the mischievious kitten stage. They eat, sleep and use the box. I adopted a 13 year old tiger tabby named Murphy from the CT Humane Society. She was on death row awaiting "E". She had been there over a year. I told my friend who worked there to give me an oldie, and in she brought Murphy. It was love at first sight. She's now 16 and having medical problems. She's got hyperthyroidism which is controlled by Methamizole, a transdermal cream. The medicine is now killing her kidneys. It's a no win situation. I'm trying to keep her as comfortable and happy as possible, while I prepare MYSELF for the worse.

Please, when you are ready, adopt an oldie. Adopt 2 so they can grow older together. You'll be saving 2 lives. Kittens are ALWAYS adopted. When they stop being "cute" and "fun" is when idiotic people think it's okay to toss them out like yesterday's trash.

Thank you for taking your time in making such a commitment.

krazyaboutkatz
11-07-2010, 06:14 PM
When you adopt an older cat you know what their personality is going to be like too. Kittens personalties can change over time. My Pearl was the sweetest most loving cat when she was a kitten and she and my oldest cat Storm would cuddle and spend a lot of time together. Unfortunately now she and Storm have a love/hate relationship:( and she's now become very bossy and some what aggressive to Storm and some of my other cats. She's also become very needy towards me.

I would also suggest that you adopt 2 cats together. Maybe even siblings or 2cats that are already bonded together. This way they have a playmate and won't be as lonely when you're away. Good luck and feel free to ask any more questions here.:)

lute
11-07-2010, 08:36 PM
I'm pretty sure we are wanting an adult cat since we don't want to go through the kitten thing. We want a kitty that just wants to chill with us. Never thought about getting a pair of kitties. I don't think it would be totally out of the question. It all depends on what we are going to be able to handle when it's time.

I do have another question! Someone told me if I got a male to make sure he was neutered as a kitten. That they will still spray if you wait until they are an adult to neuter. Doesn't sound right to me, but I'm not totally sure.

Laura's Babies
11-07-2010, 09:09 PM
Older kitties are through the kitten stage as you know. Unaltered males will spray but not all of them do. I had one years ago that was older before I did him and he never sprayed. I find mine that I have matured at about age 5 and really became who they still are today.

I suggest you and your BF have the "what if" talk and what happens to the cat if you split up. Who keeps the cat?.... What if you get pregnant.... what happens to the cat, does he get tossed out for the baby?

I point those thing out because there that is how a lot of them end up on the streets and shelters. Someone breaks up, someone has a baby and don't want a cat around the baby. (I had cats with all my babies and no harm ever came to any of them, the cat turned out to be a good babysitter instead)

I think 3 years old is a great age to get one, still enough play left in them to amuse you and will play with you but past that wild kitten stage.

lute
11-08-2010, 12:02 AM
My bf and I have been together for 5 yrs. We're engaged. I don't see a break-up happening. We don't plan on having any kids any time soon. With my career lifting off no kids are in the near future.

Thanks for the advice!:D

smokey the elder
11-09-2010, 01:41 PM
I think a mature cat (7+ years old) makes a great pet! Bubba was 8 when I adopted him. I've had good luck placing mature cats; they are so grateful to have a home and a routine again. I think people who adopt older cats are also less likely to return them, recognizing that "old age" medical issues are on the horizon and being willing to deal with these.

Don Juan's mom
11-09-2010, 02:59 PM
I do have another question! Someone told me if I got a male to make sure he was neutered as a kitten. That they will still spray if you wait until they are an adult to neuter. Doesn't sound right to me, but I'm not totally sure.

Don Juan wasn't neutered until I adopted him, when he was about 18 months old. He has NEVER NEVER NEVER sprayed. :love::love::love:

I haven't adopted a senior kitty; Zerlina was about a year old when I got her. But adult kitties are great!

Liz

momcats13
11-09-2010, 08:51 PM
I adopted a 10 yo, actually closer to 11, Siamese almost 6 yrs ago. I didn't want too much of an age difference between this new furkid and the surviving kitty I already had. He fit right in, no issues, in good health. I travel most weekends during the summer and I can just leave two days of food and water. No coming home to shredded TP, curtains, clothes!! He had only been in the shelter a month when he picked me as his new mom. Some older ones languish for years. You won't be sorry bringing this new guy home.