PDA

View Full Version : Lost Cat During Transport :( *WE GOT HER!!!!!!!!!! Left Leg Swollen Vet Appt. Sch.

Anikaca77
11-05-2010, 07:38 AM
I have 3 kittens now that are approximately 6 months old and they walked into my sister's home last night and she didn't have the heart to toss them back out of course so I was happy about that!

We need to find a temporary place for them to go. We will pay to get these cats fixed and we just need a place where they will be well loved. We believe the 3 of them are siblings so we would like to see them go to the same foster home if possible.

If you have a spare room in your house that you could give them I would really appreciate it.

They are very friendly and very cute. If you are interested in adopting one please send me a PM. We can transport them!

Thank you!

sana
11-05-2010, 09:15 AM
If I could only help in adopting, I really wish I was living near you, but, alas! I live on the other side of the world... :(:(:(

GILL
11-05-2010, 09:36 AM
If I was't so full (26) right now I would be there in a flash. The only thing I can offer is once they are veted and fixed I could possibly take them to the shelter (no kill) I deal with in Mass. They have a great placement rate.

Laura's Babies
11-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Awww! That would be perfect! Three litter mates to love.. They look so sweet!

lvpets2002
11-05-2010, 12:15 PM
:love: Awee they all look Sweet & Adorable.. Wish I could help = But too far away.. Good Luck

Anikaca77
11-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Well here is some more tricky news.....

The tiger cat is pregnant....

The darker tortie color one...might be pregnant but I'm not sure.

The lighter color one is very skinny and I dont' believe she is pregnant.

I know I need to get the 2 of the pregnant ones fixed but I just don't know if I can find a vet that will be reasonsible with the pricing.

Time is the problem here and so my schedule and my sister's schedule.

My mom just had knee surgery and I really need to take care of her when she gets back into town and I just need to find these 3 a good home, they don't deserve to live outside.

here are some updated photos of them that we took around 9:30 p.m.
Melissa

columbine
11-06-2010, 08:32 AM
OMG they're all so beautiful! :love:

Anikaca77
11-06-2010, 09:41 AM
Here are some more pictures.

Anikaca77
11-06-2010, 07:52 PM
So far no leads yet as to a place that might be able to help place the pregnant mom cats....I guess I could always call the shelter in state college and see if they could take a pregnant mom cat.....or 2...

jennielynn1970
11-07-2010, 10:17 AM
These kitties are at your sister's right?? I forget where she is located, but if she is anywhere close to allentown, have her contact Kathi with Itty bitty Kitty. I don't know when their next clinic is (they just did one yesterday), but they do spay/abortions. I had my one foster done with them a few years ago and it was reasonable.

Kathi - [email protected]

Tell her Jennie Hall gave you her email (hope she's ok with that, lol).

There's also Furry Feet Rescue in Easton.
Furry Feet Rescue Inc.
936 S 24th St.
Easton, Pa 18042

Call Us:
(610) 438-5645

Email Us:
[email protected]

Anikaca77
11-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Thanks Jenn!

I am going to call a place here in State College and hopefully they will help with low cost spay.

I just need to find them a temporary place to go so that way they can stay inside.

Thanks!
Melissa

Anikaca77
11-08-2010, 09:51 AM
Well we found a lady who is willing to take all three kitties.

Hopefully this weekend we can move them or next weekend. Then we are going to try to trap the little tiny kittens that are outside. They are probably 6-8 weeks old. We are going to try to get the mom cat as well.

Melissa

Anikaca77
11-10-2010, 07:35 AM
Well I found out that my mom is going to be released from the rehab facility this Saturday and we were hoping to transport the 3 kitties this weekend. I don't know if anyone is near Allentown or so that is available to help us.

My sister doesn't want to go alone to meet this person and I don't want her going alone either, I'm going to see if they might be willing to travel to Hamburg or Emmaus.

Melissa

moosmom
11-10-2010, 07:50 AM
Melissa,

Check your PMs, I sent you a message. Might have a solution to your spay problem.

Anikaca77
11-11-2010, 08:01 AM
Well Saturday morning it looks like we are going to meet the foster parents and hand over these 3 sweet babies...

I'm going to call this one rescue before hand just to make sure these people are who they say they are.

I'm hoping this will all work out for the best for them.

Melissa

Anikaca77
11-16-2010, 08:30 AM
Friday evening I arrived at my sister's place and started setting up the trap. Momma came by with her 2 kittens and another kitten showed up.

I got her 2 kittens in the same kitten trap. They were very feisty but appeared to be ok otherwise.

After I got those two I put the trap back out and got an all white kitten. She was very friendly. She went upstairs with the other 3 cats that my sister had upstairs.

Then I got another kitten, white with tiger spots, beautiful. I put the trap back out and we had an adult calico going in the trap but she would pull the food out of the trap...so she ate and then left. I saw the momma but she didn't want to get into the trap, I think I needed a bigger trap than what I had but she just didn't want anything to do with the trap.

So we kept watch for the momma to come back and left the trap up for a while and we had another visitor, the same one came back from last weekend.

It was an adult female, tiger with a white paws and bib. Very friendly, a little shy at the same time and we took her upstairs.

So we had 5 cats in her one bedroom upstairs, 3 kittens in a huge cat carrier...and no momma yet.

We put the trap out early in the morning around 5 a.m. and let the trap up till about 7:45 a.m. but no sign of her.

The kittens are about 7-8 weeks old so they could survive without their mom but I still wanted to get her.

Sadly that was not the case. So we loaded up the car with 3 kittens, and 4 cats, the lady who was taking them agreed to take 3 cats and 3 kittens and the mom but she didn't know if she was going to take tiger one yet and so I figured I'd better leave the white one at home and I would foster her if needed.

Let me tell you it was a fun ride, when one cried the other would cry, and then the babies would start.

They did settle down towards the end. We pulled up to our meeting location and waited, my phone rang and the lady was running late. I wasn’t too happy about it but things happen.

So they finally arrived around 10:15 a.m. and I showed them the babies first in the cat carrier and then I showed them the female tiger with the white bib.

She was going to open the cat carrier and I told her if she was going to do that to please go to your car and do that with the windows open. She didn’t listen…I should have been more forceful but I wasn’t. So she got her and she was a little wiggly and she had control over the cat, they got the cat carrier and I turned around to go get the babies in the cat carrier, and I heard them say shoot or something and I turned around and the tiger girl with the bib was running.

Luckily, she didn’t run towards traffic and they thought she went into this shed that was locked up but couldn’t see her or hear here.

I felt so terrible that this happened and I was semi-pissed as well. The girl and the guy were both upset which frankly she should have listened to me but that wasn’t the point at the time.

We looked around till about 10:45 a.m. and then we had to leave, my mom was getting released from the rehab facility (she had a knee replacement) and we had to get her at 11 a.m.

I called the Dunkin Donuts where we meet and told them to keep an eye out for the cat; I called the Humane Society, and told them, I’ve posted it on Craigslist, etc.

I feel so terrible for her; she was friendly but shy at the same time.

I talked with Jenn from here and she went out on Saturday and Sunday but I assume didn’t see anything since I didn’t hear from her.

I’m just so upset about this, I wish she would come to someone or be found so we could take her inside. I've attached a picture of her, she was lost in Allentown, PA off of Lehigh Street.

The white kitten came home with me and has a vet appointment scheduled for today at 2:20 p.m.

Melissa

Freedom
11-16-2010, 09:25 AM
Oh how frustrating!

Come one kitty gal, do come back sweet one!

Laura's Babies
11-16-2010, 11:34 AM
Arrrrg! You NEVER transfer kitties outside.. They have minds of their own!! You can bet they learned a valuable lesson when that happened!

jennielynn1970
11-16-2010, 11:42 AM
Been going there and looking but not a trace of a kitty. I feel so badly for her. She must be scared as all get out. Hope someone nice finds her.

moosmom
11-16-2010, 12:20 PM
I made that same mistake Meliisa. We had trapped a VERY feral, emaciated in tact male. This was in my EARLY days of trapping when I didn't know any better.

We went to transfer him to a carrier, OUTSIDE. He was trying to get out of the carrier and bit a woman I was trapping with. He got out and my friend had to go through rabies shots.

Lesson learned. WEAR GLOVES and transfer indoors.

Anikaca77
11-16-2010, 01:29 PM
Well I heard back from one group and they just sorta yelled at me....I never wanted that to happen and I feel terrible, I still do and my sister feels really terrible.

I just hope someone finds her.

melissa

lute
11-16-2010, 03:17 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about the kitty. I hope she can be found again. I'm happy you were able to help the others. I think it's wrong that the rescue person yelled at you. You did great by doing everything you have so far. It's rescuers like that that make them look foolish and run people off. No wonder so many people stay away from rescues. I hope he/she gets off their high horse and starts being nice to others. That's very unprofessional. Keep us updated!

moosmom
11-16-2010, 03:19 PM
Melissa,

Do NOT beat yourself up over this. These things happen. You do excellent work and you need to pat yourself on the back, girl.

Anikaca77
11-18-2010, 01:42 PM
I just got a call from a very very very nice lady who works just down the street a little bit from this location and she was able to put a trap down and she talked with the business that is some what in front of the shed where we lost her and they said the person who owned the shed died and they gave her permission to set up a trap and they won't touch it and she will check it again after she gets off work.

I'm going to pray so hard that we can get her, I know the reality is probably not and she probably moved out but maybe she didn't....poor girl....

Please help say a pray for her.

Thanks!
Melissa

phesina
11-18-2010, 04:18 PM
Prayers that this little kitty is safe and sound and will be rescued soon.

GILL
11-18-2010, 04:25 PM
I have been away at a trade show.
1st RULE of TRANSPORT.
never transfer out side a car.

Anikaca77
11-19-2010, 07:44 AM
Last night I got a call on my cell around 10:38 and it was this very very nice lady named Tammy!

She left me a voicemail that said HAPPY EARLY CHRISTMAS! I GOT HER!

I didn't listen to the rest of her message because I was toooo excited that we got her and I called her right away and asked if she is sure it's her. I sent her a picture of the kitty before so she knows what she is looking for.

I couldn't believe last night when I talked with her...I just couldn't thank her enough for helping out and going out there...

She said that she had a blanket over the trap to keep the kitty warm and she must of been hiding out in the shed all week....the poor girl had to be sooo scared.

My sister is going to meet her after she gets off work today!

I called my sister after I got off the phone with her and woke her up too and she was SOOOO EXCITED!! SO was I.

I just can't believe this happened! We are SOOO LUCKLY and so is this KITTY!

Thank you all for the prays you sent for her.

My sister will take her back to her place and soon we will set up a vet appointment for her :)

Thank you all again,
Melissa:D

moosmom
11-19-2010, 07:47 AM
As always, Melissa...

GREAT JOB!!!!

Anikaca77
11-19-2010, 09:01 AM
If anyone would like to help with the vet care costs, it would be greatly appreciated. We have already spent over $500 plus in vet costs for the 6 cats we gave to the one organization and the vet care for the white kitten I have at my place.

I do have a chip in page started for TNR at my sister's place, I've received $40 so that helped out with our costs. My paypal address is [email protected]

Thank you,
Melissa

Freedom
11-19-2010, 09:14 AM
I am SO HAPPY you trapped the Escapee! WOO HOO!!!

Purr-tender
11-19-2010, 11:14 AM
Awesome news!!

Sent you a little $$ to help with the vet bills. I do the same thing you do but don't have the success that you have with placing them. The vet bills, food & litter expenses add up quickly! Like you, I do it with no financial help. The reward is happy, healthy, safe kitties! Priceless!

Mary & Crew

katladyd
11-19-2010, 12:18 PM
I am so happy for all of you! Now this lucky little kitty will get a safe, happy, home. Hooray!!!:D

cassiesmom
11-19-2010, 12:31 PM
Yay, she is beautiful! All the kitties are beautiful! I hope they will go to wonderful, forever homes! I will paypal you, Melissa. Payday is next week.

Anikaca77
11-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Thank you so much! It will def. help :)

So thank you...with having Nina's vet bill's and my own again...it's hard to rescue but sometimes we have to do it :)

I can't thank you all enough for your prays....it really makes this Thanksgiving just more perfect!

I spoke with Tammy on the phone just less than an hour ago and I just can't wait for my sister to see her and make sure it's really really her!!!

Depending when we can get her fixed, she may come up and stay with my mom at their house...I just can't take in another one too many already...

I'm just so excited and can't wait for my sister to send me some photos, I will be sure to post them up here :)

Melissa

Awesome news!!

Sent you a little $$ to help with the vet bills. I do the same thing you do but don't have the success that you have with placing them. The vet bills, food & litter expenses add up quickly! Like you, I do it with no financial help. The reward is happy, healthy, safe kitties! Priceless!

Mary & Crew

GILL
11-19-2010, 01:36 PM
Love a happy ending. I wish I could help Melissa, but right no I'm up to my eye balls with cats. I still have 26 in house.

cassiesmom
11-19-2010, 02:23 PM
Melissa, I just Paypal'd you and Paypal gave me the option of paying the transaction fee, which I really like. Please give the kitties some hugs from me!

Anikaca77
11-19-2010, 03:01 PM
Love a happy ending. I wish I could help Melissa, but right no I'm up to my eye balls with cats. I still have 26 in house.

John-

Don't be you have helped me out so much in the past and your happy thoughts are good enough:)

Thanks!
Melissa

Anikaca77
11-19-2010, 03:02 PM
Melissa, I just Paypal'd you and Paypal gave me the option of paying the transaction fee, which I really like. Please give the kitties some hugs from me!

Thank you so much!

I had no idea you could do that, I will have to look into that in the future!

Thanks again,
Melissa

phesina
11-19-2010, 04:19 PM
Oh, HALLELUJAH!!!!!

Thank you, God, for keeping this little kitty safe and getting her back to the people who love her and will find her a home.

And thank you, Melissa, and Jennie too, for all you are doing to help this cat and so many others.

Laura's Babies
11-19-2010, 07:22 PM
EXCELLENT!! I can wait for pictures of the "one that got away!".

Cataholic
11-19-2010, 07:46 PM
I think it's wrong that the rescue person yelled at you. You did great by doing everything you have so far. It's rescuers like that that make them look foolish and run people off. No wonder so many people stay away from rescues. I hope he/she gets off their high horse and starts being nice to others. That's very unprofessional. Keep us updated!

I am very glad the kitten was found, and echo what others have said- transfer only in a closed vehicle. I would suspect the rescue worker had this thought in her head when she yelled at Melissa. I am sure she was mad at the situation, mostly.

When I do dog transports, the list from the coordinator is l.o.n.g. on the don'ts and does. I forget that others are doing this for the first time. Any time a dog gets loose, and it happens, it is usually because of a mistake that just didn't need to happen. Like leaving a dog in your car, with a door open. The dog sees freedom and chews through a lead. The crate isn't closed securely, the collar breaks, etc.

So, I know things happen, and I can only think the rescue worker was thinking of the kitten, and didn't mean to take it out on Melissa.

Great job, as usual, Melissa. You do so much for these guys. :love:

3Catcondo
11-19-2010, 09:29 PM
Awesome news Melissa!!! So glad she is safe and sound!!!!

krazyaboutkatz
11-19-2010, 10:05 PM
This is wonderful news.:D I hope she'll now find a wonderful loving forever home.:)

Medusa
11-20-2010, 07:57 AM
I'm glad there was a happy ending, Melissa. You sure do work hard in rescue; no one can fault you for that. Live and learn, right? All is well now, thankfully. :)

Anikaca77
11-20-2010, 08:26 AM
Well my sister went to pick up mouthy as she calls her for now and it's really her... I just couldn't believe it....she sent me some photos last night and here they are....I can tell she has lost some weight in just that amount of short time...my sister will be bringing her up here during thanksgiving so I'll get a chance to see her again.

We are going to try very hard to find this very special/lucky kitty a forever home so if anyone would like to adopt her please pm me :)

Ok here are the pics and I will update you all later on how she is doing :)

phesina
11-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Oh, she's adorable!

Catty1
11-20-2010, 11:57 AM
What a darling! She reminds me of my foster Zoe! Gorgeous little girl!:love:

Anikaca77
11-21-2010, 09:25 AM
Here are some more photos...

Purr-tender
11-21-2010, 09:34 AM
What a little sweetie and what a very lucky girl!! Such a huge relief that she is safe now:D

Anikaca77
11-22-2010, 10:14 AM
Thank you all again for the donations towards vet costs. I appreciate all the prays as well...she is just so lucky and I'm just so thankful that we found her and I can't wait to see her this week when my sister brings her up :) I received $50 in donations so that will get her an office visit plus hopefully a rabies. We will work on getting the distemper shot too and the FIV/FELV combo test which is $32.

I spoke with my sister and she said she is sleeping a lot but I told her it's probably because she didn't sleep the whole time she was outside...poor girl... I still feel terrible that I didn't set up a trap or go back there but I had to take my mom home and the timing just wasn't very good but we both learned our lesson and hopefully the girl who was going to take her did as well.

Thanks again,
Melissa

Anikaca77
11-23-2010, 07:12 PM
My sister just called me tonight and told me that her back leg is swollen. She said she noticed she was walking funny but didn't think much about it and last night she called and said that she was lying on the stairs and I told her she was just probably tired from not sleeping much last week and she was lying near her heater so I just figured she probably had the best seat in my sister's house.

Well tonight she called and said about her back leg being swollen and she doesn't know if she broke something and it's healing or what. She is a pa so she said she felt the tendons and they are not torn from what she could tell. She said the swelling is at the top of her back leg where the foot bone meets their upper thigh leg.

I am going to call the vets here and see when they can get her in, I'm hoping Friday they will be able to see her. My sister works all day tomorrow and she is about 2 hours away from me and originally she wasn't going to bring Mouthy up since she has already been through so much but now she needs to come up and we are in need of donations if you can help out.

I'm going to see if I can get $50 from a local place that I normally get for stray cats that are injured but we will see.

If you are able to donate please send a paypal payment to [email protected]

I have already received $50 so that's a BIG BIG help and thank you for all your prays as well :)

Melissa

Anikaca77
11-24-2010, 08:26 AM
We got a vet appointment for Friday morning at 9 a.m.

Poor girl. Hopefully it is not broken, I talked with my sister briefly this morning and she said that it is still swollen...I was hoping that maybe it would go down.

My sister is able to help with some of the costs but just not all because she is having her kitten fixed next week, plus she dropped $300 last weekend to give to the non-profit organization who took the 6 kittens/cats.

Me...well I'm still paying off Nina's vet bill so hopefully I can come up with some to help.

Prays would be appreciated.

Melissa

krazyaboutkatz
11-24-2010, 11:27 AM
Melissa, I'm sorry to hear that her leg is swollen.:( Hopefully it's nothing too serious and the vet will be able to fix her right up. All I can offer right now are lots of prayers and positive thoughts.

Anikaca77
11-24-2010, 11:54 AM
Melissa, I'm sorry to hear that her leg is swollen.:( Hopefully it's nothing too serious and the vet will be able to fix her right up. All I can offer right now are lots of prayers and positive thoughts.

I will take your PRAYs :)

Thank you, I hope it's nothing serious either...if we have to they do have care credit there so that's always an option if it gets really really expensive...I just know the visit is going to be $45 for a diagnostic exam, $30 for the FIV/FELV combo test and if any x-rays are needed that's $105 for just 1 shot.

We will see come Friday.

Melissa

doolittleky
11-24-2010, 09:26 PM
Melissa,
I am so happy and relieved that you found her again! She sure has an angel watching over her. I am sorry that she is having to go to the vet and am praying she gets all better soon and finds a forever home. She sure does deserve one!
Melissa

Anikaca77
11-26-2010, 06:41 AM
I got to see Mouthy and her poor leg it's up to her hip where it is swollen...I just hope she doesn't require surgery or anything...Her appt. is at 9 a.m.

Will update later on.

melissa

Laura's Babies
11-27-2010, 08:14 AM
Any updates?

Anikaca77
11-29-2010, 02:52 PM
Hi All-

So sorry for the late update but Mouthy is doing just fine!! She had an abcess. I couldn't believe it. The vet was able to remove almost all of the swelling from the lump area and yesterday night my sister called me and said that the swelling in her leg has gone way down and that she is still a little tired yet but it's been a big thing for her...

We are planning on getting her fixed soon and then finding her a forever home.

If anyone would like to adopt this sweetheart let me know.

Melissa

katladyd
11-29-2010, 03:56 PM
Oh, I am so glad that dear Mouthy's leg problem was just an abcess! :D Give that adorable girl loves from me!!:love:

krazyaboutkatz
11-30-2010, 01:11 AM
Thanks for keeping us updated. When I didn't hear back, I was thinking to myself that maybe she had an abcess from something that bit her when she ran away. I'm glad that she saw the vet and is doing much better now.:) Good luck with finding her a new home.:)