PDA

View Full Version : What kind of dog should I get next?

Roxyluvsme13
11-01-2010, 02:52 PM
Alright, nobody freak out first of all. :p

I'm just starting super early research into what kind of dog I'm going to get in the future.

It's definitely going to be a good 2-3 years before I have an apartment or somewhere I can keep the dog and everything I just want to go ahead and research my options.

The dog will definitely live inside and I want to be able to feed it either raw or something high quality. I think I'm going to rescue the dog, a puppy would be nice, but I'd settle for whatever.

I've been thinking a lot about the breeds that I'd want and I'm really leaning towards a Pit Bull. I know, they are a handful and everything, so if you have one, can you please give me some general advice on the breed and some things that you think I should know?

Also, I'm open to other suggestions on breeds. Something that would suit a city lifestyle. I'm a college student, so take that into consideration too.

Just wanted everyone's opinions. :) Thanks!

Freedom
11-01-2010, 03:12 PM
I've not owned a pitte, but have known quite a few. Some can grow very large, like the one in Willy's class just now!

I would plan that your expenses will include obedience classes if you get ANY bully breed, just to be safe.

Oh, and many cities have passed breed specific legislation, so you can't even OWN a bully breed. Then, if the city allows it, the landlord may not.

Many landlords who do allow dogs often limit you to a 35 pounds maximum.

Just things to ponder!

Roxyluvsme13
11-01-2010, 03:15 PM
I've not owned a pitte, but have known quite a few. Some can grow very large, like the one in Willy's class just now!

I would plan that your expenses will include obedience classes if you get ANY bully breed, just to be safe.

Oh, and many cities have passed breed specific legislation, so you can't even OWN a bully breed. Then, if the city allows it, the landlord may not.

Many landlords who do allow dogs often limit you to a 35 pounds maximum.

Just things to ponder!
Yeah, I realized all of this when I thought about adopting a pitty. I'll just have to find an apartment that is Bully breed friendly and large dog friendly. :) If not, then I'll wait longer till I have the proper living conditions for one! :D

I hadn't thought about obedience classes though, but I think that's a good suggestion.

Karen
11-01-2010, 03:18 PM
As your Roxy was a pittie, I think another - there are always available rescue dogs and pups - would be a great choice if your housing permits it! You already know about their energy level, etc., they don't shed a lot and would be fine being a city dog as long as they got enough exercise!

Of course, it will all depend the most on who tugs at your heart when you are ready, but I have a feeling a certain wrinkly-faced angel will be guiding that choice, regardless of breed!

Husky_mom
11-01-2010, 03:22 PM
besides the breed... you should consider.. how many time he would be alone at home.. how much exercise he will need as well as food.. and how are you going to provide for it...considering you are considering top quality food

also about the landlord issue.. you might wanna have 2-3 backup breeds..

Here Kitty Kitty
11-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Pitbulls are raised to fight, even as a puppy when they are first born they're... in fighting rings, alot get killed. They grow large, and they need severe social training... they make good pets, but they're reccomended if you live alone. I'd reccoment a nice Lab, or maybe a Golden? A hairless crested is a perfect size for apartments.... or a beagle?

Roxyluvsme13
11-01-2010, 03:32 PM
Karen One of my main reasons for wanting a Pittie was due to Roxy, haha. I think she would highly approve of her momma rescuing another sweet Pittie girl like herself. :D But I know she'd be happy with whatever dog I decided to rescue. Roxy was a pit mix though and this time I want to try to get a full-blooded Pittie rescue. And it will probably end up being another girl, though I don't mind a boy either.

Isabel Yeah, I've been considering all of this. I'm a bit worried about how the dog would handle it if I was at class all day and wasn't there with it. But maybe in a few years it won't be too bad. I could walk him/her in the evenings when I got back from class, so I don't think that would be a problem, hopefully. As for providing for it, by that time I'll hopefully have a job, haha. I kind of have to have one if I plan on living in an apartment that's pet friendly anyway, so hopefully that won't be too much of a problem either.

I'm trying to decide on backup breeds too, but I really have no clue. I decided that I wanted a Pittie as soon as I felt I was going to have my own first official dog that I have to provide for and take care of myself. I'm open to suggestions though! :p

Karen
11-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Pitbulls are raised to fight, even as a puppy when they are first born they're... in fighting rings, alot get killed. They grow large, and they need severe social training... they make good pets, but they're reccomended if you live alone. I'd reccoment a nice Lab, or maybe a Golden? A hairless crested is a perfect size for apartments.... or a beagle?

Here Kitty Kitty, that is just not true of all pitbulls. And she had one before, so knows they need a firm hand when a puppy, and proper training. Not every one will grow large, in fact, most are what I would count as medium at best. They are stocky and muscular, that's true.

Roxyluvsme13
11-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I was pretty much going to say what Karen just said.

I had a Pit Mix, her name was Roxy. She was a handful, she probably could have used a lot more training than what she had, lol.

It depends on how a Pit is raised to how they're going to grow up. If one is rescued from an early age and trained to be a good, loving dog, then there shouldn't be any problems :).

Grace
11-01-2010, 04:33 PM
I would go to my local shelter and bring home one of those sweethearts who has been lost or abandoned and needs love and a forever home.

Roxyluvsme13
11-01-2010, 04:47 PM
I would go to my local shelter and bring home one of those sweethearts who has been lost or abandoned and needs love and a forever home.
Me, too :love:. I wish I had a place for a dog now, but no dogs in my dorm room, LOL.

Look, guys :p.
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/17793820

ETA: I love this guy.
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/17059418

Alysser
11-01-2010, 08:20 PM
You can have Mikey ;)

I think you should just go to the shelter, when the time comes of course and see what you find rather then a specific breed. Honestly, everytime I try and get a specific breed I have wound up with something completely different. This time, I was looking into greyhound, jack russel terrier, fox terrier, or a beagle, although we did get kind of close with this one ;) lol

Good luck in whatever you choose, Bri!

Alysser
11-01-2010, 08:25 PM

FAR. From. True.

They do not need anymore socialization then any other breed. It depends on certain dogs and their personalities. They're great with kids and other dogs alike, I don't know very many pitties that like being alone for long periods of time, Granted, I only know a few. A beagle could be a good idea, minus the barking and the baying. :rolleyes: Mine's not even full beagle and that goes on all day.

Roxyluvsme13
11-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Alyssa That's a good point, haha. Every time I go to the shelter though I seem to be drawn to the pitties anyway, LOL. A lot of them remind me of Roxy :love:.

Most shelters/rescues require you to be 21 to adopt from them anyway, so it's definitely going to be at least 2.5-3 years before I'm able to get my own dog.

Anybody know how pitties can do with cats? I'll have to have Tallulah with me because she's officially my cat. Roxy LOVED cats and dogs, so I guess it depends on the dog?

*LabLoverKEB*
11-01-2010, 11:58 PM
Bree I think that's great you want to rescue a dog/puppy, and are looking into more about pitties!:)

From what I've heard, pitties make great apartment dogs, that is if you can find one that allows large dogs, let alone pit bulls! :/ Like you asked in your last post, yes, it DEFINITELY depends on the individual dog weather or not they are friendly towards dogs, cats, or other animals. A majority of pit bulls have a hugh prey-drive, and tend to be dog aggressive.. because unfortunately, that is what they were bred to do, fight other dogs.:( But, if you socialize, socialize, train, and did I mention socialize they tend to do much better around other animals, people, and different situations/places. They definitely need a firm pack leader, they tend to be dominant if you don't take charge!

Roxyluvsme13
11-02-2010, 07:00 AM
Bree I think that's great you want to rescue a dog/puppy, and are looking into more about pitties!:)

From what I've heard, pitties make great apartment dogs, that is if you can find one that allows large dogs, let alone pit bulls! :/ Like you asked in your last post, yes, it DEFINITELY depends on the individual dog weather or not they are friendly towards dogs, cats, or other animals. A majority of pit bulls have a hugh prey-drive, and tend to be dog aggressive.. because unfortunately, that is what they were bred to do, fight other dogs.:( But, if you socialize, socialize, train, and did I mention socialize they tend to do much better around other animals, people, and different situations/places. They definitely need a firm pack leader, they tend to be dominant if you don't take charge!
Alright, I can do that. I would have socialized the dog anyway, but I'll give some extra socialization in there because of Tallulah and possible other pets around at the same time.

All this advice is really helpful, thank you everyone! :)

IRescue452
11-03-2010, 12:26 PM
The apartment thing is no fun with breed and weight restrictions. You probably don't want a toy breed so I suggest you keep an eye out for border collie or husky type mixes that can get quite tall but stay lightweight at the same time. I actually met a rescue dog at the dog park one day that was up for adoption. She was a brindle pug mixed with some sort of terrier and about 18 inches tall and only 23 pounds. She looked like a stretched out, skinny pit bull. She would have been perfect for an apartment if I was looking at the time. I hope to find another like her when my old dogs are no longer with me, assuming I'm still in an apartment.

luvofallhorses
11-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Are you taking Lily with you and the cats? I am just asking because a lot of terriers are prey driven and Lily is small.

You know I adore this breed more than anything, but no matter how much you socialize them with other dogs/animals, there is that chance that in the future the dog may not get along with Lily or your cats. That is something to consider as well.

NEVER leave them unsupervised together, ever no matter how well they get along you could come home to one of your animals seriously hurt or dead. Do not take the dog to dog parks, they are a bad idea for this breed. Instead, have supervised play groups with friends' dogs. I know you love pit bulls and I do too more than anything but you just have to face facts that they can be aggressive with other animals.

Yes they were bred to fight, but not raised. That is totally different. It's also never how you raise them, because you cannot fight genetics what they were bred to do. So you must be responsible and do right by the dog and I am sure you will. :) They are terriers so they need A LOT of exercise. I would recommend a 2-3 year old dog though so you have the right size. Some APBTs and mixes are as small as 30-35 lbs. as they are a medium breed and range up to 60 lbs.

I would not recommend a husky or a border collie in an apartment.

Bri - I will PM you a website that is very knowledgeable on pit bulls and that you can ask any questions about your future dog. :) I will have a pit bull someday also, I would love to right now have Quarry that is at the shelter I work at. He is a 3-legged pit bull puppy and so very sweet. :love: This breed is very amazing but you must be responsible. :)

Roxyluvsme13
11-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Are you taking Lily with you and the cats? I am just asking because a lot of terriers are prey driven and Lily is small.

You know I adore this breed more than anything, but no matter how much you socialize them with other dogs/animals, there is that chance that in the future the dog may not get along with Lily or your cats. That is something to consider as well.

NEVER leave them unsupervised together, ever no matter how well they get along you could come home to one of your animals seriously hurt or dead. Do not take the dog to dog parks, they are a bad idea for this breed. Instead, have supervised play groups with friends' dogs. I know you love pit bulls and I do too more than anything but you just have to face facts that they can be aggressive with other animals.

Yes they were bred to fight, but not raised. That is totally different. It's also never how you raise them, because you cannot fight genetics what they were bred to do. So you must be responsible and do right by the dog and I am sure you will. :) They are terriers so they need A LOT of exercise. I would recommend a 2-3 year old dog though so you have the right size. Some APBTs and mixes are as small as 30-35 lbs. as they are a medium breed and range up to 60 lbs.

I would not recommend a husky or a border collie in an apartment.

Bri - I will PM you a website that is very knowledgeable on pit bulls and that you can ask any questions about your future dog. :) I will have a pit bull someday also, I would love to right now have Quarry that is at the shelter I work at. He is a 3-legged pit bull puppy and so very sweet. :love: This breed is very amazing but you must be responsible. :)

Lily is probably most likely going to be staying with my mom, as she and my mom are really close and I don't think Lily could survive without her, lol.

Tallulah is the only cat, and she'd be coming with me, so Tallulah yes.

I'd like to crate train the Pitty, though I've never crate-trained a dog before, but it would probably be a good idea/good start in the Pitty's training, right???

So, when I'm out the dog could be crated, I guess? And Tallulah would be fine???

I can do evening walks for the dog, so I think that would help keep the exercise thing under control, or maybe even a morning walk and an evening walk. It will just depend on what's going on in my life whenever I have the dog, I guess.

I would appreciate the link to the website! Quarry sounds precious. Pictures??? ;)

luvofallhorses
11-03-2010, 08:08 PM
I would crate the dog in a seperate room from Talluah when you are not able to watch. (if you are in the shower, put the dog with you and leave the cat out or something..). Yes, when you go to school or whatever you will be doing, go to the store or whatever crate your dog. :)

Evening walks should be fine, but you want to do it every night no matter the weather. You could also invest in a treadmill when you are not able to exercise and find one on free-cycle or craigslist and when you train a dog on it, start out slow. It's to get a dog in shape, not for fighting like people think. You could also build a flirt pole. Pit bulls are huge cuddlers too so prepare to have that dog in your lap watching tv and sleeping in bed with you. ;)

Quarry -
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs945.snc4/73866_1602692460155_1021407159_31702702_3236012_n. jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs766.snc4/66639_1602656979268_1021407159_31702654_5534611_n. jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs898.snc4/73146_1602684859965_1021407159_31702674_3869917_n. jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs136.snc4/37132_1602685259975_1021407159_31702676_6672298_n. jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs265.snc4/39573_1602686620009_1021407159_31702683_3688635_n. jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs385.ash2/66336_1602686940017_1021407159_31702685_2892754_n. jpg

Twisterdog
11-03-2010, 08:08 PM
What kind of dog should I get next?

A homeless one. :)

Roxyluvsme13
11-03-2010, 08:52 PM
I would crate the dog in a seperate room from Talluah when you are not able to watch. (if you are in the shower, put the dog with you and leave the cat out or something..). Yes, when you go to school or whatever you will be doing, go to the store or whatever crate your dog. :)

Evening walks should be fine, but you want to do it every night no matter the weather. You could also invest in a treadmill when you are not able to exercise and find one on free-cycle or craigslist and when you train a dog on it, start out slow. It's to get a dog in shape, not for fighting like people think. You could also build a flirt pole. Pit bulls are huge cuddlers too so prepare to have that dog in your lap watching tv and sleeping in bed with you. ;)

Quarry -
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs945.snc4/73866_1602692460155_1021407159_31702702_3236012_n. jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs766.snc4/66639_1602656979268_1021407159_31702654_5534611_n. jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs898.snc4/73146_1602684859965_1021407159_31702674_3869917_n. jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs136.snc4/37132_1602685259975_1021407159_31702676_6672298_n. jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs265.snc4/39573_1602686620009_1021407159_31702683_3688635_n. jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs385.ash2/66336_1602686940017_1021407159_31702685_2892754_n. jpg
Crating will definitely be a must-do then. I'll have to learn how to do it properly.

I never thought of the treadmill or flirt pole idea, so thanks!

Haha, Roxy always thought she was a lap dog and always slept against my side when she slept in my room and I love that, so I'm ready :D.

Quarry is precious!!! I want, haha! What happened to his leg, or do you all know?

Twisterdog I agree! I always swore that my next dog would be a rescue, so I'm definitely going to adopt a homeless one! :)

luvofallhorses
11-03-2010, 08:57 PM
We had it amputated. He came in with it and had an old injury that was never fixed by whoever had him. :mad: We think he was hit by a car. He is 100% better with 3 legs and super sweet. :love:

Roxyluvsme13
11-03-2010, 09:07 PM
We had it amputated. He came in with it and had an old injury that was never fixed by whoever had him. :mad: We think he was hit by a car. He is 100% better with 3 legs and super sweet. :love:
Poor little guy. It's great that he's happy running around with 3 legs though, I'm sure he feels much better now. :love: He definitely looks like a sweetie!

luvofallhorses
11-03-2010, 09:18 PM
Yep he is more active than any dog on 4 legs. ;) He is for sure sweet and has stolen my heart.

Roxyluvsme13
11-03-2010, 09:51 PM
Yep he is more active than any dog on 4 legs. ;) He is for sure sweet and has stolen my heart.
Well I think you should bring him home with you ;)

luvofallhorses
11-03-2010, 09:52 PM
I wish I could.. but if you want more than 3 dogs you have to have a kennel license. :rolleyes:

Roxyluvsme13
11-03-2010, 10:08 PM
I wish I could.. but if you want more than 3 dogs you have to have a kennel license. :rolleyes:
Really? That's lame, haha.

luvofallhorses
11-03-2010, 10:32 PM
Yep. :rolleyes:

Vette
11-03-2010, 11:26 PM
I dont have anything to add other then i think that puppy is friggin' adorable.
oh an good luck with whatever you decide Bri :)

Roxyluvsme13
11-03-2010, 11:52 PM
I dont have anything to add other then i think that puppy is friggin' adorable.
oh an good luck with whatever you decide Bri :)
Thank you! :)

I'm pretty set on a Pit Bull, lol. Though I know I have my work cut out for me and it's going to be tough trying to get a Pit-friendly apartment and everything. I'm up for the challenge though!