PDA

View Full Version : Need advise by Tues, Nov 2! Update 11/11

K9karen
10-31-2010, 10:31 PM
Sorry if this is a rerun...

My 13 y.o Rav4 failed inspection. Instead of paying for the parts needed, I, heavy hearted, know I have to bite the bullet and get a new car soon.

I take care of my alert, perfect health 97 y.o. uncle, who wants me to use his 2002 Chrysler something or other (forget the type off hand but it has 8000 miles on it)) as well as my car as a trade in.

I've been driving my brother's Honda 2010 CRV lately and loved it the second I sat in the drivers seat. I hate driving. I need a decent view (I'm 5'2" so I like the advantage of seeing OVER the dash) His back windows are tinted but I didn't have a problem at night. Of course, the car seems longer than mine (ie: backing up), but I know there's an option of a "beeping" sounds when you back up (not on his car)

But, I also had tested a Subaru Forrester awhile back. I didn't "feel" it, but, I'm a weirdo. I think 'cause I didn't need a car immediately, I wasn't "into it". But my decision has to be made by Nov 9. That's cause my uncle's car insurance expires and I have to have it to drive his car to the dealer (per his insurance agent)

So, should I give the Forrester another chance or go with the Honda since I like it alot. The price on both is comparable. I don't want any regrets later.

BUT.. tonight, someone glowed about the Hyndai Santa Fe. YIKES!!!!! My head is spinning more than usual!! :rolleyes:

Scooter's Mom
10-31-2010, 10:34 PM
I would take a test drive of all 3 vehicles.
Then go with the one that "fits" best.

I've heard good things about all 3 models.

Karen
10-31-2010, 11:17 PM
We love our Honda CRV. It is a 2003, and is currently at the shop as Paul got hit in a parking lot. This is the second time it has been hit in the back, and we have never been injured. It is a great car, reliable, very comfortable, and can hold lots of cargo when we need it to. We have over 100,000 miles on it, and have had no trouble, just had to replace tires and brakes as they wear out, otherwise just normal maintenance, and other small things that are part of the normal wear and tear on a car. I would highly recommend it. As we live on a steep hill, I can attest we got the 4-wheel drive version, and it does great in the snow. Not only do we love it, but there are three others on our street, so other people must like it, too! It gets good gas milage, and I know there's a hybrid version available in newer models, too.

I currently have a rental car that I HATE - it's a Dodge Calliber, and it is uncomfortably small - cramped width-wise and a really long dashboard - plenty of leg room, but very little elbow room - and we are not really tall or anything, I'm only 5'6" and Paul 5' 10" - definitely on our list to avoid for any future purposes.

moosmom
11-01-2010, 07:38 AM
My best friend as ALWAYS had Hondas and swears by them. I, myself, have a 2001 Kia Sephia with 102,900 miles on it. Things are going on it little by little. But the way I figure it, I'd rather put money into it than have an outrageously high car payment every month (which I can't afford), increased car taxes and high insurance. No thank you!!!

I'll just keep putting money into it until it can't be driven anymore. The sticker shock alone would give anyone a heart attack.

My very first car was a 72 Volkswagen Bug, powder blue. Total cost??? $2400!!!! Now THOSE were the days!!

anna_66
11-01-2010, 08:26 AM
I would take a test drive of all 3 vehicles.
Then go with the one that "fits" best.

I agree. You don't want one that you hate driving!
I've always heard Hondas are great vehicles.

Freedom
11-01-2010, 08:39 AM
Honda!!!

Lillycat
11-01-2010, 12:42 PM
.....i have a crv and love, love, love it!!!!

dab_20
11-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Both Subaru and Honda are reliable, which is good, so I would go on some test drives and see which one you like best. Out of those two, I personally would pick the Honda, just because I like the look better :p

Looks like your looking for a small crossover type? Have you looked at the new Honda crossover?... the name has slipped my mind. It basically looks like an accord crossed with a small SUV. You might like the Mazda3 hatchback as well. hehe Sorry to confuse you more ;)

K9karen
11-11-2010, 09:59 PM
Woo! Woo!

Tuesday, I had a travelling notary come to my uncle's house to notorize his car title and mine. The notary said his mom lived 2 blocks away, had no car for a few months, and he was interested. His 17 y.o. son needed a car, so "Viola!" the notary bought both cars in cash within 1/2 hour!!! Decent price for a 2002 Chyrsler Concorde with hardly any miles and my trusty 'ole 1997 Rav4!

So today, I re-test drove a Forester and Honda CRV LX. Loved the fancy doo-dads in the Forester, but as far as the seat was up, I had a problem seeing over the dash. The interest rates were better on the Honda, I got a "good credit rating" discount.

So, one and all, a gazillion thanks for your imput. I love my Honda. I'm getting it tomorrow afternoon. I always had white cars, but since I now love certain shades of green, I chose a metallic green, which came w/beige interior. It's lovely.

I'll post photos this weekend. Thanks everyone. I'm really, really happy!!! I made the right choice for me.

RICHARD
11-11-2010, 10:16 PM
Now you have to buy a new pair of sunglasses and a ball peen hammer.

The BP hammer is so you can put some dents in the sides.

That way you do not have to worry about someone else dinging your car in a parking lot.....

You know exactly who put the dings in the body/paint.;)

Freedom
11-12-2010, 06:49 AM
Best wishes with your new wheels!

Karen
11-12-2010, 08:23 AM
Congratulations, Turtle (my green CRV) and I hope you and your new car will be happy together for years to come!

K9karen
11-13-2010, 07:41 PM
Now you have to buy a new pair of sunglasses and a ball peen hammer.

The BP hammer is so you can put some dents in the sides.

That way you do not have to worry about someone else dinging your car in a parking lot.....

You know exactly who put the dings in the body/paint.;)

Uh.. a birdie already initiated my window!

lizbud
11-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Uh.. a birdie already initiated my window!

I believe that falls onder "Murphys Law" or something.:)

So, sounds like you made a good deal on the older cars & also got the Honda
you really like. Good deal all the way round.:)