PDA

View Full Version : Embarrassment and questions(s)

mrspunkysmom
10-31-2010, 07:08 PM
No good deed goes unpunished. :(

I probably should have said something sooner, but I was dying from embarrassment and in pain from kidney stones (the past 10-12 days). :o

I forgot to take down the last poster of the doggie and last Tuesday (way late) this lady calls to tell me she thinks that it belongs to her. Yikes!

Facts: She got the road right, but the story sounds weird. The dog was securely chained to my porch. She said she had left the dog with her father-in-law who lives two houses down from me because where she lives pets are not allowed. I had never seen a dog there before or heard one. I thought the placed had been abandoned and they first admitted that no one was home. (I did see what looked to be a stray in the yard as I passed by that day, unleashed, but we have strays in the area.) I did search all over the web and local animal sites to see if someone knew the dog. Nothing was posted. She never actively looked for this dog, that was supposedly a beloved family member.

I invited her over to see the chain still on my porch. She brought the family. Her father-in-law, for his story, her sister, and her young daughter, who was supposedly heartbroken over the dog. I told her the dog had been adopted after being at the vet for the weekend. I told her that I had looked for LOST notices and found none. I told her it cost me money but it was for the dog. Her response was that she would get the dog back tomorrow. I told her that it would cost money. My kenneling fees, shot fees, and any other adoption fees that vet would assess. She replied that they were unemployed. I'm not sure if the dog had ever seen a vet. I will say that the dog was very clean.

I asked her why she hadn't posted any notices, she said that they were tied up in the ill health of a relative (mother? or mother-in-law?) all weekend. She had also assumed that some relatives on a vendetta had taken the dog with them back to Atlanta or dropped it on the interstate on the way back. The father-in-law said the dog never left the yard so he didn't look any further than the house in between us. There are large bushes between my place and the house in-between. The yards are not big. My family home yard is as big as all three together. (The pit mix is currently chained to the dog house. He said it wouldn't leave either. SO why is it chained? The pit supposedly loved the lab, so why wasn't it sitting next to the lab in my yard.) The chain on my porch was supposedly cobbled together from both of the dogs' chains.

Interestingly, I had only untangled the chain partially. It looked to messy for me. The old man removed it easily from my porch in front of me.

The reason she gave that the relatives were on a vendetta: The relations had moved up from Atlanta with their pit bulls, but left them with the father-in-law, but without helping him physically or financially. He claims he made several requests for help, so out of frustration, the lady called Animal Control. The dogs were not in good condition and one of the dogs had a wounded neck from an embedded collar. SO ACS held them responsible and the old man said they tried to arrest him. They gave up the relatives names who were fined $1000 per dog.

So the relatives stole one of their dogs, set the other loose in the yard, and chained the stolen one to my porch, two doors down from the old man?

I again repeated that it would cost her money to get it back and the dog was in a happy place, well taken care of. At least now she knew where the dog was. I think I also said that she wouldn't have known the dog was okay if I hadn't posted the ADOPT ME posters. I was tired and stressed at that moment.

I have been beating myself up, but the dog may not have even been theirs.

I was operating under the belief that since the dog was placed on my porch, it was my legal and moral responsibility to care for it in some manner. I wouldn't neglect an animal and I had no intention of getting in trouble due to someone else's negligence.

SO my questions are: :confused::confused::confused:

Did I overstep my responsibility?

Am I legally responsible for posting FOUND flyers and trying to find the owner?

Should I have waited longer for adoption, even though it was at my expense?

I wonder if I should have taken the dog to the pound or had them pick it up?

I wonder what really happened?

Lastly I'm so embarrassed I didn't go by and tell my vet or even call him. Shame on me. A wise friend said not to worry. If the lady wanted her dog back it was between her and the adopters and she would have to reimburse expenses. She would have to do that at the pound too.

Sigh. I do not think a life of rescue is for me. :(

Freedom
10-31-2010, 07:41 PM
I think you did fine!

It is up to this person and either the pound or the adopters. Does she know who they are? :( If so, maybe you need to warn them?

mrspunkysmom
10-31-2010, 08:01 PM
NO, she does not know who they are. I was too embarrassed to warn the vet, but I figured he would ask for vet records and such as proof of ownership. The vet had posted her pic online so he would need some paperwork to prove ownership and not just a description.

There is also the probability that the dog had never been to a vet before I found her, so she is in non-compliance with local ordinances about Rabies Vaccines.

So I'm probably worrying over nothing. I'm new to this though. I don't know that I could "poof" an animal, although I've seen some that should be poofed.

ARGH!!!!!!

Freedom
10-31-2010, 08:10 PM
Relax! I repeat, I think you did fine "by this dog." Don't worry so much! The dog is in a good place, and "if" it was their dog, you sound convinced the dog is in a better place.

Done!

(I know, it isn't that easy. Sorry, I don't know what more to say to ease your concerns.)

mrspunkysmom
10-31-2010, 08:19 PM
Thank you so much! I know the dog is in a better place, regardless of what story she tells.

This is my OCD wanting everything to be in place with no drama. Mild Asperger's doesn't help either. I need to find something positive to obsess on.

Thanks again.

kitten645
10-31-2010, 08:33 PM
I agree with Freedom. You did fine and put it out of your mind. You did the right thing. You didn't steal the dog and clearly this "family" has bigger issues if they are stealing each others dogs and not taking care of them :rolleyes:sheesh!

krazyaboutkatz
10-31-2010, 09:11 PM
I agree with Freedom. You did fine and put it out of your mind. You did the right thing. You didn't steal the dog and clearly this "family" has bigger issues if they are stealing each others dogs and not taking care of them :rolleyes:sheesh!

I agree. The dog sounds like it's in a much more loving and caring home now even if this woman really was the former owner. Just try to relax.

cassiesmom
10-31-2010, 09:35 PM
was operating under the belief that since the dog was placed on my porch, it was my legal and moral responsibility to care for it in some manner. I wouldn't neglect an animal and I had no intention of getting in trouble due to someone else's negligence.

SO my questions are:

Did I overstep my responsibility?

Am I legally responsible for posting FOUND flyers and trying to find the owner?

Should I have waited longer for adoption, even though it was at my expense?

I wonder if I should have taken the dog to the pound or had them pick it up?

I wonder what really happened?

Lastly I'm so embarrassed I didn't go by and tell my vet or even call him. Shame on me. A wise friend said not to worry. If the lady wanted her dog back it was between her and the adopters and she would have to reimburse expenses. She would have to do that at the pound too.

I don't know what your legal responsibility would be. Maybe Momcat would. But morally, you chose not to leave the dog out on your porch. Should you have waited longer for adoption, I don't know. But I do believe you acted in the beautiful dog's best interests to make sure she was safe, fed, and cared about until she was adopted to a new home. Done and done. I'm raising my Diet Coke can in a toast to Mr. Spunky's Mom and to Brown Sugar Cinnamon's new forever home. Cheers!

momcat
11-01-2010, 08:12 AM
Hi and bless you for caring enough to help this sweet dog in need. I've read your initial post a few times and something about those people claiming the dog is theirs just doesn't feel right.

Morally, I believe you did the right thing getting her to the vet and trying to find her owner. I'll research the animal laws of your state but if you're concerned about your legal responsibility, you might want to consider contacting legal aid or a local law clinic (many law schools have them) for an opinion. You might even be able to get legal answers from your vet or one of your animal shelters.

catmandu
11-01-2010, 09:35 AM
It sounds as though these people want a free Dog, and are lying through their teeth:mad:
That story makes no senseat all. and let them deal with the fact that their Dog is someone elses.
I hate liars who try to make trouble:mad:

Grace
11-01-2010, 11:14 AM
I agree with the others - you did nothing wrong legally or morally. You found one of God's creatures in distress, and you responded in a loving way.

Those idiots are looking for something - not sure what - but that poor dog isn't it.

happylabs
11-01-2010, 06:51 PM
I agree with everyone else. You did good/right! The whole story from those people sounds very fishy. They do not sound like people who should be allowed to even own dogs. I hope they do not get the dog back.

mrspunkysmom
11-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Yesterday I spoke with my brother, a cop. He said I'm okay but I should consider the local pound the next time. He said the dog being on my porch didn't make it mine, but I did have some responsibility in the matter which I executed in giving it shelter attempting to find the owner, and finding it a new home.

I got my courage up and went by the vets. The lady had come by the vet. She admitted she didn't have the money to pay for the dog, but wanted to meet the people and see the dog to verify that it was the dog. She claimed she wanted closure and to know that it is indeed okay. I told the vet staff the story she gave me. She was supposed to meet them today but canceled due to a family members ill health.

If I had known it was theirs I would have taken it over there and chained it back up. If they had been honest and upfront to begin with and before the dog was adopted, I might have come to some sort of agreement with them over the monies.

One of the vet techs today told the dog's ears were bad and that she had scars on her feet. And for such a young dog. Do dogs get scars on their feet?

I know she is in a happy home.

happylabs
11-02-2010, 12:53 AM
Yesterday I spoke with my brother, a cop. He said I'm okay but I should consider the local pound the next time. He said the dog being on my porch didn't make it mine, but I did have some responsibility in the matter which I executed in giving it shelter attempting to find the owner, and finding it a new home.

I got my courage up and went by the vets. The lady had come by the vet. She admitted she didn't have the money to pay for the dog, but wanted to meet the people and see the dog to verify that it was the dog. She claimed she wanted closure and to know that it is indeed okay. I told the vet staff the story she gave me. She was supposed to meet them today but canceled due to a family members ill health.

If I had known it was theirs I would have taken it over there and chained it back up. If they had been honest and upfront to begin with and before the dog was adopted, I might have come to some sort of agreement with them over the monies.

One of the vet techs today told the dog's ears were bad and that she had scars on her feet. And for such a young dog. Do dogs get scars on their feet?

I know she is in a happy home.

Scars on her feet? No. Why? Not something I have seen. That dog was not well cared for. The more you tell us, the more I feel you did GOOD. I don't always agree with the police anyway. Especially when it comes to dogs/pets. Not that I have anything against the police. Just know in your heart that this dog is happy and well cared for now.

Medusa
11-02-2010, 07:18 AM
The whole story smells fishy to me, not your story, theirs. I, too, think you did the right thing morally and I hope legally, too. Isn't that just the way things are nowadays! (She says in disgust.) Someone pawns off that poor dog and the responsibility for its care and you are the one who is worried about the legality of what you did to rectify the situation. Things are upside down. Try not to worry too much about it. The dog is fortunate to be away from those people and in a home where people want her and will take good care of her.

mrspunkysmom
11-02-2010, 09:02 AM
Y'all are so sweet. I'll talk more later, but got to go vote.