PDA

View Full Version : The Nearest Book

Grace
10-31-2010, 06:57 PM
Here's what you do ..

Grab the nearest book .. not the most intellectual or classical or coolest .. just the nearest.

Go to page 61 and tell us what the first complete sentence is, along with the title and author.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlvuByeB3EN7u8oHqYW_u4Q7ioCENBU OUTeB_KM_rVoMMJwB4&t=1&usg=__I4uoVj2Y7vui94ie6iEpLtz7-QI=

Grace
10-31-2010, 07:01 PM
The Surry County Animal Shelter sits just outside the center of town at the end of a gravel access road that leads to something of a vehicle depot - a lot filled with old semi containers, a car trailer painted in camouflage, and a stable of garbage truck.

The Lost Dogs: Michael Vick's Dogs and Their Tale of Rescue and Redemption by Jim Gorant

Karen
10-31-2010, 07:30 PM
Louis went to wake up Martha so that he could bring her back to New York with him.

"The Black Angel" by John Connolly

phesina
10-31-2010, 07:31 PM
"You see, Darleen, Bobby's more heroic than I am because he's truly passionate and generous."

American Tabloid, by James Ellroy

DJFyrewolf36
10-31-2010, 08:00 PM
We know the straight "A" examination when we see it, of course and we have reason to hope that the student will understand why his work receives our recognition.

William G. Perry Jr.: Examsmanship and the Liberal Arts (In the Dolphin Reader, 6th edition)

krazyaboutkatz
10-31-2010, 09:33 PM
"Well, I do say, this party is just marvelous."

More Stuff On Your Cat by Mario Sarza

JALB
10-31-2010, 11:39 PM
"This was brought to the lawyer the next morning, before he was out of bed; and he had no sooner seen it, and been told the circumstances, than he shot out a solemn lip."

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Robert Louis Stevenson

Sirrahsim
11-01-2010, 01:29 AM
"But the taxes must be paid in hard currency; not in corn and hides and blocks of indigo, as the farmers did their business."

The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon

karlyb
11-01-2010, 04:51 AM
"Quick, he whispered."

"The Road" by Cormac McCarthy

(Not much of a quote, is it?)

Miss Z
11-01-2010, 06:14 AM
Its retaliation discourages the other side from persisting whenever defection is tried.

The Origins of Virtue, Matt Ridley

Randi
11-01-2010, 06:42 AM
" Using radioactive substances, we demonstrated that the RNA could come out of ribosomes and could be put back in".

Surely you're joking Mr. Feynman

pomtzu
11-01-2010, 06:55 AM
"My heart's pounding beats across the still black waters to the stars."

Adrift, Steven Callahan

moosmom
11-01-2010, 07:34 AM
Now in his 50's, his dark ponytail and beard going gray, the spectacled climber was nevertheless showing a fresh determination to become Connecticut's leading mountain guide.

"High Crimes" The Fate of Everest in an age of Greed. by Michael Kodas.

Lilith Cherry
11-01-2010, 09:22 AM
" She was standing in front of three large posters , each advertising "Angels over England - A Travelling Exhibition," each with a different image of an angel on it."

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

aTailOf2Kitties
11-01-2010, 09:31 AM
a continuing and thorough assessment of surgical outcomes should be performed to ensure that appropriate procedures are followed and timely corrective changes instituted.

Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals by National Research Council

Cincy'sMom
11-01-2010, 10:42 AM
"Woody Allen?" Gordie guessed.

206 Bones, Kathy Reichs

pomtzu
11-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Here's what you do ..

Grab the nearest book .. not the most intellectual or classical or coolest .. just the nearest.

Go to page 61 and tell us what the first complete sentence is, along with the title and author.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlvuByeB3EN7u8oHqYW_u4Q7ioCENBU OUTeB_KM_rVoMMJwB4&t=1&usg=__I4uoVj2Y7vui94ie6iEpLtz7-QI=

Okay Gretchen - I'm patiently waiting for the punchline. :) Is there one? :confused: Or were you just curious as to what others were/are reading??? BTW - why page 61??? :p

lizbud
11-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Okay Gretchen - I'm patiently waiting for the punchline. :) Is there one? :confused: Or were you just curious as to what others were/are reading??? BTW - why page 61??? :p

Probably not. It's just a starting point for a conversation most likely.:)

They are more experienced.And their years of undisputed authority and
superioity give them a psychological advantage over the children, many
of whom are incurably sentimental about their relationships to parents.

The Loneliness Of Children
by John Killinger

Grace
11-01-2010, 04:25 PM

Probably not. It's just a starting point for a conversation most likely.:)

What liz said :)

I found this on another board - thought it looked interesting. It's also an intriguing look into what we are reading. Just look at the variety in just 18 posts.

RICHARD
11-01-2010, 04:30 PM
IT's a dirty cartoon.

November Playboy, F. Thorne.

Freckles
11-01-2010, 04:45 PM
"Dip the nut meats in the tempered chocolate, using the regular dipping fork."
The Art of Making Good Candies At Home
Martin K Herrmann

Roxyluvsme13
11-01-2010, 05:03 PM
"As we saw in Chapter 2, living things are composed of the same atomic elements as the inanimate universe--the 92 naturally occurring elements of the periodic table (see Figure 2.2)."

Life: The Science of Biology Eighth Edition by Sadava, Heller, Orians, Purves, and Hillis.

Definitely not the most exciting book. But it was the closest one :p.

Grace
11-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Good job, everyone. As Roxy pointed out, it's not supposed to be the most exciting - but should be the closest at hand.

Richard - is there a sentence - or just pictures :eek:

dab_20
11-01-2010, 05:16 PM
"Thus, two tiny regions in the body of the embryo become ovaries or testicles early in the fetal period."

Invitation to the Life Span by Kathleen Stassen Berger

My human growth and development class book. lol :p

dab_20
11-01-2010, 05:17 PM
"As we saw in Chapter 2, living things are composed of the same atomic elements as the inanimate universe--the 92 naturally occurring elements of the periodic table (see Figure 2.2)."

Life: The Science of Biology Eighth Edition by Sadava, Heller, Orians, Purves, and Hillis.

Definitely not the most exciting book. But it was the closest one :p.

I have the same book for my bio class :)

Roxyluvsme13
11-01-2010, 05:39 PM
I have the same book for my bio class :)
Haha, win! :D

I hate that stupid book. It's a pain in the butt to carry and it was ridiculously expensive :p.

Alysser
11-01-2010, 07:53 PM
"During our walks I would observe how Pepsi and Sprite interacted with each other, strange people and dogs, and nature's little surprises."

Rescuing Sprite, by Mark R. Levin

JALB
11-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Grace, I have a few questions about this game.......

Can one person post more than one quote?

And, what if the book doesn't have 61 pages?

Grace
11-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Grace, I have a few questions about this game.......

Can one person post more than one quote?

And, what if the book doesn't have 61 pages?

More than one quote - sure, why not? Right now you are in the living room near one book; say that an hour later you are in the bedroom and there is a different book - feel free to add that one.

I'm going to do the one my husband is reading when I get around to it.

I might even do a magazine or two.

If the book doesn't have 61 pages - why not just open it with your eyes closed and point to the right page or left one. Then quote the first complete sentence on that page?

Is it a children's book?

Casper
11-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Two sentences may be joined together to form a longer compound sentence.
The Klingon Dictionary by Marc Okrand

K9karen
11-01-2010, 10:37 PM
"During our walks I would observe how Pepsi and Sprite interacted with each other, strange people and dogs, and nature's little surprises."

I love that book. I bought it when it first came out, unbeknownst to my brother, who bought it for my birthday. So now I have 2 copies!

JALB
11-01-2010, 10:51 PM
More than one quote - sure, why not? Right now you are in the living room near one book; say that an hour later you are in the bedroom and there is a different book - feel free to add that one.

I'm going to do the one my husband is reading when I get around to it.

I might even do a magazine or two.

If the book doesn't have 61 pages - why not just open it with your eyes closed and point to the right page or left one. Then quote the first complete sentence on that page?

Is it a children's book?

I didn't have any book near that didn't have 61 pages; I just wanted to know in case I did sometime.

Sirrahsim
11-02-2010, 05:25 AM
"Don't."
Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

JALB
11-02-2010, 02:36 PM
"Adding the last finishing touches to the form, Rosie fished out a stamp from her pocket and attached it to the envelope."

Strangers at the Stables, Michelle Bates

jennielynn1970
11-02-2010, 03:48 PM
"I found myself in a meadow,
brilliant green beneath a soft
wash of sunshine"

CRANK by Ellen Hopkins

Nomilynn
11-02-2010, 03:53 PM
"HILROY A. Recycled Loose-Leaf Filler Paper"
--Staples Strictly Business Sourcebook 2010

(I'm at work LOL).

Pinot's Mom
11-02-2010, 04:07 PM
I can't use page 61 - the reason will become evident in a minute, this is from page 361...

"The Brown Drake (E. simulans), same size, has translucent wings with dark mottling."

From "The Field Guide to Inspects & Spiders - National Audubon Society". The first few hundred pages are plates of various bugs. :)

wanwan1007
11-02-2010, 04:49 PM
"Old people love their own things even more than young people do."
The Number by Lee Eisenberg

RobiLee
11-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Surprised, Pete said, "This guy you want to know about--he's a cop? I'm scoping out a cop for you?"

The Good Guy by Dean Koontz

I like this thread :)

Vette
11-02-2010, 07:01 PM
"We're supposes to do dangerous stuff, right?" And Piper walked inside.

The Lost Hero - Rick Riordan

CountryWolf07
11-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Page 61. First sentence of the paragraph:

"In 1987, I was finally able to realize my impossible childhood dream to be a mermaid."

With Love & Laughter, John Ritter by Amy Yasbeck

Cincy'sMom
11-03-2010, 05:08 PM

Excellent book. Read it twice, cried both times!

kitten645
11-03-2010, 10:27 PM
"Place a rack or folded towel on the bottom (to let water circulate and keep the glass from cracking against the bottom"
The Joy of Cooking 1997 Irma Rombauer, Marion Rombauer Becker and Ethan Becker

lizbud
11-04-2010, 09:11 AM
In the Device Manager list, check for conflicts with other devices.

Owners Manual
www.dell.com

gini
11-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Depending on how the meeting had gone, Herney would either stop the guest in time or watch in amusement as the visitor embarrassed himself.

Deception Point - Dan Brown

Freckles
11-04-2010, 12:45 PM
"It didn't begin to take into account the emotion of the moment or the girls' physical vantage point when they looked up at the man who created the terror."
Portraits of Guilt
Jeanne Boylan

JALB
11-04-2010, 02:03 PM
"Sketch out the main shapes of the foal's head and body with curving lines."

Saddle Up! A Book About the Fine Art of Drawing Horses, Mary Iverson