PDA

View Full Version : Whole House Water Filter

Freedom
10-27-2010, 03:57 PM
Folks often ask if we use filtered water, spring water, distilled water. With Bichons ( and Maltese and other white dogs), tear staining is a huge issue.

My response is always about my Brita filter. I completely forget that I have a whole house water filter as well!

Dad put it in the first 6 months after I bought this house. It is in the water line, down in the cellar. You can get it from Home Depot (and probably Lowe's and other places too). It comes with a small magnetic thingy you put on the fridge. Every 3 months, that thingy starts flashing a blue light, to remind you it is time to change the filter. Installing it, Dad did that, or you can hire a plumber to do it. After that, changing the filter is about 10 minutes job, I do that myself.

With this in place, ALL the water in the house lines has been filtered. Water that comes out of the tap, used for the shower and bath, water used for the laundry, the water which fills my hot water heater, and yup even the water that goes out the sprinkler.

And let me tell you, at the 3 month mark, that filter in the cellar is gross! VERY brown/ red colored.

So the water I "serve" to the pets here is filtered TWICE. I always forget this when someone asks that question!