PDA

View Full Version : Miss Murphy...bad news***WONDERFUL UPDATE!!!!

moosmom
10-25-2010, 09:03 PM
I haven't posted all day because I just got the test results back from the vet on Murphy's renal failure. Yes, she is in renal failure. My vet told me to "try" a prescription Science Diet. If it doesn't work, then euthanization is the only other option.

I've been inundated with MANY phone calls from friends, animal rescuers, doling out advice. So much so that I turned my phone off, had a major meltdown and slept all day. I know they all mean well, but the ultimate decision is mine. I'm just not handling it very well.

People and friends have told me to go for sub-Q fluids twice a day. Unfortunately, it's a temporary fix and I don't want to put her through the pricking of the needle, poking and prodding.

I was supposed to bring her into the vet today at 4:30, but I fell asleep (again). So, I'll be bringing her there tomorrow.

Any prayers you can spare for my precious old lady would be SO appreciated.

mrspunkysmom
10-25-2010, 09:07 PM
You have them.

Lilith Cherry
10-25-2010, 09:38 PM
Lots of prayers for both you and Murphy, Donna

Laura's Babies
10-25-2010, 10:26 PM
Oh Donna! So sorry to hear that. ((((HUGS)))))

cassiesmom
10-25-2010, 10:26 PM
big prayers for Miss Murphy and meowmie

Catty1
10-25-2010, 11:09 PM
Many prayers for Miss Murphy. I hope the new food helps her some, Donna. If so, she may not need fluids all that often.

I am so sorry to hear this...wishing all the best for you and dear Murphy.:love:

krazyaboutkatz
10-26-2010, 01:26 AM
Donna, I'm so sorry to hear about Murphy.:( Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

katladyd
10-26-2010, 01:54 AM
Praying for you both.

phesina
10-26-2010, 04:50 AM
Prayers for beloved Miss Murphy and you too.

jennielynn1970
10-26-2010, 06:44 AM
Thoughts and prayers going out to the both of you. HUGS Donna!

moosmom
10-26-2010, 07:43 AM
Dr. Pennington is closed today so I get to spend the whole day with my old lady. I'll call him first thing in the morning.

I spoke with MY vet, Dr. Berard about subQ fluids and the food and he said it's only a temporary fix. The one thing I absolutely NEED to know is if she's in pain. Everytime she goes into the litterbox, she cries and cries, which makes me to believe that it hurts. The vet said there is no infection in her kidneys, but that she is in advanced kidney failure. :(:(

Freedom
10-26-2010, 08:07 AM
Donna, I am very sorry to read this. In the advanced stage, oh Miss Murphy darling!

Prayers from RI.

Medusa
10-26-2010, 08:33 AM
If she's in acute renal failure, then she more than likely can go very quickly. My RB Peeka did. If it's chronic renal failure, she could have a lot of time left w/subQ's but if she's in pain then, of course, that must be addressed. I can't recall how old Murphy is. Whatever the case, we know that you'll make the right decision for Murphy. Many prayers are going up from Mary and the Fur Posse. Keep the faythe.

smokey the elder
10-26-2010, 09:07 AM
Poor Miss Murphy. I know you'll do what is best for your kitty.

Kirsten
10-26-2010, 09:10 AM
I'm very sorry, Donna! Keeping you and Miss Murphy in my thoughts... (((HUGS)))

catmandu
10-26-2010, 09:26 AM
That is the saddest thing in the workld when a Beloved Pet Companion is ill , and that is precious little that can be done.:(
Sad to sad time does take it's toll and eventually we all have to go on .:(
I know that My Senior Kittyzens Moose :love: Princess:love: Joseph :love:
and My Siamese Six Pack will be there for Miss Murphy to be with you both and comfort you both:love:
All of Our Prayers are with you.:love:

Taz_Zoee
10-26-2010, 09:28 AM
I am so sorry about Murphy. :( I know how difficult it is and you've been through it too many times the past few years. Hugs to you and Murphy.

moosmom
10-26-2010, 10:07 AM
I'm waiting to hear from MY vet (he comes in at 2). All I want him to do is tell me if she's in pain or not. If she's not, she'll be with me to the end, and I'll make her as comfortable as possible. If she is, I don't want that and will do what it takes to make sure she's no longer in pain.

Karen
10-26-2010, 11:16 AM
We're thinking of you. We know you will do the right thing, whatever it turns out to be. Give Miss Murphy a kiss from us, okay?

Laura's Babies
10-26-2010, 11:19 AM
That's a tough decision but I know I couldn't stand seeing one of mine in pain and would have to do what is best for them... not me..

Pinot's Mom
10-26-2010, 11:31 AM
Hugs and prayers from here, Donna.:love:

moosmom
10-26-2010, 12:01 PM
Here's the link to the crosspost:

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=164119

GILL
10-26-2010, 12:16 PM
I'm so sorry Donna, it's never easy. Our thoughts are with you. All we can do is the best we can and I know you have.

prechrswife
10-26-2010, 01:46 PM
I'm so sorry. This is what we went through with Samson. We did the food and sub-q fluids for awhile, but he went downhill very quickly.

moosmom
10-26-2010, 06:01 PM
Just got off the phone with MY vet. I told him I did some research on CRF (Chronic Renal Failure). The only pain a cat can experience is towards the "end". As long as she's not in any pain, she's eating, drinking (alot), Not vomiting, just keep an eye on her. I told him I would give her a wonderful life full of love, until it's time for her to go to the Bridge naturally. I'm not about to send her on her way when she still has so much life in her.

The vet did say that her days are numbered. He gave her about 6 months. Watch my old broad prove him wrong!!!

I'm SO happy that my precious old lady will be with me to the end.

phesina
10-26-2010, 06:45 PM
Miss Murphy, we are all sending our happiest and best wishes for you to spend a LOT more time with your beloved family!

Medusa
10-26-2010, 06:48 PM
That's much better news, Donna! My Puddy had CRF for years and I administered subQ's off and on for 6 years. Thank goodness for good vets but they don't know everything. My vet, whom I adore, said that the end was near for my Pidge, that she could go at any time and if she lived for another year he'd do cartwheels and Pidge was 20 at the time. Once she hit that one year mark, I emailed him and said "Better warm up those muscles, buddy, and I want pictures, too!" Pidge lived for another 6 months after that and finally went to the Bridge at nearly 22 years of age. She had cardiomyopathy but also CRF and the subQ's kept her comfortable and I could instantly see the difference in her after a treatment. I'm so glad that Murphy has some time w/you yet. She'll probably fool us all. :love:

katladyd
10-26-2010, 11:49 PM
This news made my day! I'm doin' the Happy Dance:D:love:

moosmom
10-27-2010, 09:04 AM
Me too, Katladyd!!!

catmandu
10-27-2010, 09:36 AM
That is great News Donna!!:love::love:
I have basically the same news about My Michjael, My Dear Mr Purr that his tuime is limited as well:(
Let us pray that both of Our Elder Cats are still here a year from now, awaiting another Pet Mas!!:love::love::love:

Barbara
10-27-2010, 11:47 AM
Donna, you know that Filou survived the diagnosis of CRF for 5 years. With weekly fluids and diet first, fluids and no diet at all later. If Miss Murphy is happy and eating you cannot know whether it is 6 months or a much longer time. Make sure she eats as much as she can as losing weight is not good for her.
If an acute crisis comes more often (like 2 times in 2 months), if she begins to look scruffy, if she loses too much weight, if she refuses eating- then the time will begin to think about her passing.

Older vets sometimes have the opinion that as you cannot cure it you might as well put a cat to sleep- but the life quality of kidney kitties can be wonderful for a time that varies broadly.

I am sure Filou waves from heaven to Miss Murphy.

GILL
10-27-2010, 11:50 AM
Way too go.

moosmom
10-28-2010, 10:11 AM
When I took her to the vet, she gained her .3 lbs back PLUS another .1 a week later when we needed a urine sample. Whenever she gets LOUD, that's my sign that she wants to eat. I'm going to invest in the Soulistic canned food. It's supposed to have moisture in it and taste good. A little expensive but, anything for my girl. We'll see.