PDA

View Full Version : My new CH baby!

phesina
10-24-2010, 04:34 PM
I would like to introduce CHRISTOFUR (yes, spelled like that)...

He's six months old, has a more severe case of Cerebellar Hypoplasia than Bob or Elmer.. - he cannot stand, needs help to eat and poo..

BUT (since I've been asked what kind of quality of life is that) he is able to skootch around somewhat, and he LOOOOOOVES his food! :love::love::love:, and he PURRS when I pick him up!

He was on the road for some 24 hours to bring him to me from western Michigan, and he arrived yesterday afternoon.

Here he is shortly after his arrival.. boy, was he POOPED!
http://petoftheday.com/talk/picture.php?albumid=339&pictureid=3089

Here are a couple of pictures after he had a nap for a few hours and then some dinner (NOMNOMNOMNOMNOM!!!):
http://petoftheday.com/talk/picture.php?albumid=339&pictureid=3090
http://petoftheday.com/talk/picture.php?albumid=339&pictureid=3091

He's having a couple of days for him to settle in and get used to his new digs (and me to get used to caring for him).. then he'll see the vet and get a thorough workup to figure out just what is going on with him and what his prospects are.

So far, so good!

lizbud
10-24-2010, 05:00 PM
God bless you CHRISTOFUR.:) You are a very handsome boy.:)

Grace
10-24-2010, 05:21 PM
He is adorable :love:

Has he met any of the others yet?

catmandu
10-24-2010, 05:42 PM
What a Great Big Owesome Orangie Christophur is , and he ceratinly looks quite a bit with a very Young Michael!!
How wonder for you to adot this very special little Cat!!!
You truly have a Big Heart!!!
All the Found Cats , Porch Cats and Angels are sending Hugs and Kisses!!!

krazyaboutkatz
10-24-2010, 05:56 PM
Congrats!!!:) He's adorable and I hope he'll thrive in his new home.:)

phesina
10-24-2010, 06:25 PM
He is adorable :love:

Has he met any of the others yet?

Well, he's living in the bathtub (with lots of bedding) so far. When I'm home I leave the bathroom door open. The others have taken a look from time to time, but they don't seem to perceive him as a (territory-threatening) cat.. It's more like, oh something else weird Mom has brought home ;).

Karen
10-24-2010, 06:48 PM
Maybe he would benefit from a little cart to get around - I know it's too soon to tell, and you will know more after the vet visit. But welcome to Pet Talk, Christofur!

Catty1
10-24-2010, 06:54 PM
What a gorgeous boy! I hope his vet visit goes well, and that maybe he will become just a bit more able as he grows.

Bless you for taking him in!

cassiesmom
10-24-2010, 07:06 PM
Oh my goodness! Hello, Christofur, sweet orange kitty! You are beautiful!
I will be interested to see what the vet recommends, and I know you are in very capable hands with your new meowmie! Kisses to you, precious kitty Christofur!

Laura's Babies
10-24-2010, 07:20 PM
OMG!! I have got LES SO bad!! He is SO darn cute and I know what it will mean to his life that you took him in!! I am so touched by this... you know what CH kitties mean to me and I know what kind of life he would have had without you...

I don't know if you watched this when I posted it before and I realize paralyzed is a whole different thing from CH... but there could be a thing or two in there that can help you figure out some ways to better take care of him..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdIBtw8_7No

Do you think he can't get around because he lived in a cage all his life or what? Queenscoopalot (Jan) taught one she had to walk by making a sling out of a T-shirt I think it was and helped hers learn to walk some like that.. If Christfour has been caged all his life, he will need to build up strength in his muscles to support himself and learn how to walk.

(That is one reason why I could never board Amy somewhere, where she would have to stay in a cage 24/7. I know she would loose her ability to walk if she couldn't get up and move around)

What kind of history does he have or do you know?

Freedom
10-24-2010, 07:23 PM
Hello Christofur! Welcome to a PT home!

Medusa
10-24-2010, 07:24 PM
Oh Pat, bless you for caring for this sweet boy. He's so handsome, too. I always say that it's amazing what good vet care and lots of TLC can do. I'm sure he'll fit right in and be as happy as can be. :love:

jenluckenbach
10-24-2010, 07:53 PM
Best of luck with this new little darling!! What a sweet face he has. :love:

katladyd
10-24-2010, 11:04 PM
Thud!!! Where was the cuteness warning? What an adorable widdle boy, Christofur is!:love:

mrspunkysmom
10-25-2010, 06:53 PM
Oh, what a precious orangey. You are so sweet to take him in.

momcat
10-25-2010, 07:31 PM
Christofur is adorable! And I love the spelling of his name. Prayers are being prayed that all goes well with the vet. He's one lucky little kitty to have you to love him and care for him.

Thank you and bless you for taking this special little guy into your loving care. If he's up to it, would you give him some lovies from me?

phesina
10-26-2010, 02:30 PM
Yesterday I took Christofur to the vet to be checked over. The vet found that while his eyes respond to light, he doesn't seem to process what he sees. She threw some cotton balls down in front of him, which would have most cats in "CHARGE!" mode, but he didn't seem even to notice them.

The same thing with his hearing: If I whistle or snap my fingers or make some noise, he doesn't seem to hear.

He's still the same little lovebug, though! And I learned something else about him last evening: He LOOOOOOOOOOVES catnip!!!!! :love::love::love::love::love:

Pat

Barbara
10-26-2010, 02:33 PM
What a cute cute baby he is.
Welcome to Pettalk little Christofur- we hope that the TLC you are getting now is helping you to feel better- but you seem to be just fine which is one of the things why kitties are so amazing.

Medusa
10-26-2010, 04:21 PM
Yesterday I took Christofur to the vet to be checked over. The vet found that while his eyes respond to light, he doesn't seem to process what he sees. She threw some cotton balls down in front of him, which would have most cats in "CHARGE!" mode, but he didn't seem even to notice them.

The same thing with his hearing: If I whistle or snap my fingers or make some noise, he doesn't seem to hear.

He's still the same little lovebug, though! And I learned something else about him last evening: He LOOOOOOOOOOVES catnip!!!!! :love::love::love::love::love:

Pat

Creamsicle was like that in the beginning; she couldn't seem to focus on anything and my old vet determined that her peripheral vision is bad plus she's deaf. I know that your CH babies have more severe cases than my Creamsicle and they've adapted well so I'm sure that Christofur will, too. :love:

cassiesmom
10-26-2010, 05:12 PM
But he has trouble with his legs, too, right? So even if he wanted to pounce on the cotton balls, could he?

Sweet Christofur, I know you will have the best of care with your loving meowmie! ***kisses***

phesina
10-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Creamsicle was like that in the beginning; she couldn't seem to focus on anything and my old vet determined that her peripheral vision is bad plus she's deaf. I know that your CH babies have more severe cases than my Creamsicle and they've adapted well so I'm sure that Christofur will, too. :love:

The vet was afraid that something progressive is going on and thought his prospects might not be all that great. But, as I told her, "He's happy and comfortable, and he can keep on being happy and comfortable with me as long as he wants." She thought that was a good way to look at it all.

Freedom
10-26-2010, 07:29 PM
The vet was afraid that something progressive is going on and thought his prospects might not be all that great. But, as I told her, "He's happy and comfortable, and he can keep on being happy and comfortable with me as long as he wants." She thought that was a good way to look at it all.

Good for you, Phesina! Hang in there Christofur, you are in a good place now, this just may be what you need to feel better baby boy!

phesina
10-26-2010, 08:43 PM
But he has trouble with his legs, too, right? So even if he wanted to pounce on the cotton balls, could he?

Sweet Christofur, I know you will have the best of care with your loving meowmie! ***kisses***

He doesn't have much use of his legs so he couldn't pounce on the cotton balls, but he could at least lunge toward them or somehow express an interest. He didn't even seem to notice them dropping by him.

lvpets2002
10-27-2010, 12:41 PM
:love: WoW how did I miss this Precious Baby's Intro Thread.. Pat he is just such a Cutie Pie for sure.. Oh I just wants to Huggss & Cuddless Him.. Well for one sounds like he is fixed eyed.. For two maybe his brain is just not quick on sending out reaction sensers.. However Many Congrats On Taking This SweetHeart Home Into Your Loving Home & Heart.. Mmm my babies may need to send another kitty bed & treats for this baby..

He doesn't have much use of his legs so he couldn't pounce on the cotton balls, but he could at least lunge toward them or somehow express an interest. He didn't even seem to notice them dropping by him.

Catty1
10-27-2010, 02:20 PM
Not to pick on the vet...but Christofur may have noticed the cotton balls a bit more if they were bright red, or even a dark colour. If I recall correctly, cats are pretty much colour blind except for red and one other colour (green?).

Also, omega 3 oils apparently do good things for the nerves, as in the actual physical nerves in the nervous system. I wonder about adding some to Christofur's diet since he is still growing?

Wishing that cute wittle boy a long and happy life!:love::)

cassiesmom
10-27-2010, 03:08 PM

Oh, boy. Time will tell. I'll keep praying. Please give ALL your kitties some kisses and snuggles from me!

lvpets2002
10-27-2010, 04:15 PM
:) Yes your so right Candace.. I did not think of that.. Well I had to come back & see Mr. Cutie Sweetie Pie again.. Huggss & Cuddles..

Not to pick on the vet...but Christofur may have noticed the cotton balls a bit more if they were bright red, or even a dark colour. If I recall correctly, cats are pretty much colour blind except for red and one other colour (green?).

Also, omega 3 oils apparently do good things for the nerves, as in the actual physical nerves in the nervous system. I wonder about adding some to Christofur's diet since he is still growing?

Wishing that cute wittle boy a long and happy life!:love::)

phesina
10-27-2010, 07:12 PM
He had a seizure late this afternoon. We are going to see the vet tomorrow.

Catty1
10-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Prayer thread here in Cat Health: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=164151

katladyd
10-28-2010, 01:16 AM
Praying for Christofur!:love:

Anikaca77
10-28-2010, 07:28 AM
Praying hard for your new baby...thank you for taking him in.

Melissa

Laura's Babies
10-28-2010, 07:53 AM
Some CH'ers do have seizures. Dr, Gott that sees Amy a lot has a friend that has has a CH kitty that sounds to have the same level of CH that Christofur has and he has seizures. Dr. Gott always asks me tons of questions about Amy whenever he sees her, just gathering infromation to better educate himself on CH and the different levels of it and possiably find out something that can help his friend.

I would just love that baby to pieces as much and as hard as I could so he would know he is loved and give him the best quality life he could have.

Prairie Purrs
10-28-2010, 08:20 AM
This sweet boy is lucky to be in your hands. I hope his CH is manageable and that he can adapt over time. And that the seizures don't continue.

phesina
10-28-2010, 08:43 AM
Thank you so much for the good wishes and prayers.

I will write more after we see the vet. I was told he has had seizures before but had not seen one yet.

Randi
10-28-2010, 08:44 AM
What a sweet boy! He is so lucky to have found you. :) I hope he'll get better and be able to use see properly and use his legs more with time.

Sending lots of positive thoughts - please give him some kisses from me. :love:

lvpets2002
10-28-2010, 12:35 PM
:love: Now Remember Pat Our Baby Taccoa has Siezures too.. Meowmom is always with her thru them.. She is on Phenobarb..

Lots of Huggss & Prayers being sent from TX.. Hope All Turns Out Good At The Vets.. Keep us posted ok..

Thank you so much for the good wishes and prayers.

I will write more after we see the vet. I was told he has had seizures before but had not seen one yet.

phesina
10-28-2010, 02:45 PM
Christofur is on Phenobarb too.. His previous person had been giving him some for about a week before he came to me.. before that he had no medication (that I know of; I've asked her for all his previous records, but she still hasn't come through with them). When my vet examined him on Monday she said he'd been getting 4 TIMES THE PROPER DOSE! So we are now giving him what he should get.

He's getting used to the new med level plus a completely new environment and way of life for the first time since he was born! This level of stress would easily add to the likelihood of triggering a seizure.

The vet now wants me to track any seizures he should have starting from yesterday's.. date, time, and duration. We will do our best to eliminate them completely but she said that's very hard to do.. we'll work to reduce them as much as possible.

cassiesmom
10-28-2010, 05:51 PM
Christofur is on Phenobarb too.. His previous person had been giving him some for about a week before he came to me.. before that he had no medication (that I know of; I've asked her for all his previous records, but she still hasn't come through with them). When my vet examined him on Monday she said he'd been getting 4 TIMES THE PROPER DOSE! So we are now giving him what he should get.

He's getting used to the new med level plus a completely new environment and way of life for the first time since he was born! This level of stress would easily add to the likelihood of triggering a seizure.

The vet now wants me to track any seizures he should have starting from yesterday's.. date, time, and duration. We will do our best to eliminate them completely but she said that's very hard to do.. we'll work to reduce them as much as possible.

Big, big prayers for this sweet orange tabby kitty. Meowmie, could you please give him a snuggle for me?

phesina
10-28-2010, 06:48 PM
I'm holding him in my arm as I write.. he's all wrapped up in a soft, snuggly blanket, and resting happily. More snuggles delivered!

Anikaca77
10-29-2010, 07:56 AM
I'm praying hard for your little baby and for you as well.

Melissa

phesina
10-29-2010, 12:16 PM
Thank you, Melissa, from both of us. Christofur is keeping on comfortably and happily with no further seizures.

lvpets2002
10-29-2010, 12:21 PM
:love: Thats Very Great News.. Rest comfy wittle Preious Boy.. Huggss & Prayers..

Thank you, Melissa, from both of us. Christofur is keeping on comfortably and happily with no further seizures.

katladyd
10-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Sending love to Christofur *kiss*kiss*kiss*:love:

phesina
10-29-2010, 07:36 PM
Right now I've got him on my lap.. He's wrapped in a nice warm towel and purring away!