PDA

View Full Version : What were they thinking?

NicoleLJ
10-17-2010, 06:26 PM
http://articles.cnn.com/2008-07-03/us/hospital.woman.death_1_hospital-workers-hospital-staff-hospital-employee?_s=PM:US

I just saw this on Caught On Tape and I am completely shocked. This woman is in the waiting room at the ER and collapses off her chair to lay face down on the floor. No one in the room did anything. 2 security guards(one walking by and one wheeling to the door on a chair) take a look from the door way and do nothing. A doctor even looks into the room and walks away. She laid on the floor for over an hour. When nurses finally came in and checked her she was dead. There were other people in the waiting room waiting to be assisted and no one did or said a thing.

I know if I saw someone in the ER collapse I would be off my chair to get help. What were all these people thinking?

Taz_Zoee
10-17-2010, 06:37 PM
That is just horrible!! If I had been in that waiting room I would have been trying to get someone to come help her. I might have been yelling even. I just can't even imagine what goes through people's minds sometimes. :(

NicoleLJ
10-17-2010, 06:39 PM
And to add insult to injury the hospital tried to falsify records about the length of time she was on the floor unattended. But the video survelance does not lie. She fell to the floor at 5:32am, stopped moving at 6:07am and the nurses finally checked on her at 6:35am.

Grace
10-17-2010, 06:50 PM
I remember when that happened - two years ago. It was all over the news.

Here's an article (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2009/06/19/2009-06-19_two_kings_county_hospital_doctors_two_nurses_fa cing_charges_in_esmin_green_case.html) from a year later.

NicoleLJ
10-17-2010, 06:57 PM
Thanks for that link.

Laura's Babies
10-17-2010, 07:03 PM
I remember it too..

happylabs
10-17-2010, 07:24 PM
Sadly, this does not surprise me. I was just at the ER with my 88 year old father last month. He had been coughing up blood. We sat for over an hour. The scary thing was that after blood work and a chest x-ray they told him he had pneumonia and admitted him. Later that evening the pulmonary doc came in and told him he did not have pneumonia. I don't think we ever did find out what caused him to cough up blood but they send him home 2 days later with a strong antibiotic.

Catlady711
10-17-2010, 07:56 PM
This all goes back to what my mom says all the time: "it's a me-me world", meaning the majority of people are only concerned about themselves, not anyone else.

This theory explains why people can let people lie on the floor in the ER and not do anything, why people try to run you over while driving with their cell phones, why your neighbor kid, and parents, think it's ok for the child to use your yard as an extension of their own, why people use their baby strollers in the mall as battering rams so they can get to the stores faster. It explains a whole lot of things. It is a sad state of our social world today. :(

Catty1
10-17-2010, 08:37 PM
6 people were fired, including the head of psychiatry and the chief of security.
http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2008/07/02/2008-07-02_kings_county_hospitals_psych_chief_secur.html

Catty1
10-17-2010, 08:41 PM
July 27, 2009 - a year later, they didn't learn a thing. :mad:

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/07/27/2009-07-27_video_exposes_lies_at_kings_county_hospital.htm l

2010 - new hospital for Kings County:
http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=news/local&id=7712682

Freedom
10-17-2010, 08:57 PM
Sadly, this does not surprise me. I was just at the ER with my 88 year old father last month. He had been coughing up blood. We sat for over an hour. The scary thing was that after blood work and a chest x-ray they told him he had pneumonia and admitted him. Later that evening the pulmonary doc came in and told him he did not have pneumonia. I don't think we ever did find out what caused him to cough up blood but they send him home 2 days later with a strong antibiotic.

In January of this year, I took Dad to see his doctor, who sent us to the hospital and phoned them we were coming. We sat in the waiting room over 3 hours before being taken in. Grrrrr . . . .

Grace
10-17-2010, 09:23 PM
I think it depends upon the ER you visit. When I had my first TIA - that really wasn't - I went to a small, local ER, 8 miles from our house. I was seen immediately, tests were done - then I had to wait for results. Same thing when I had my second episode - same hospital.

If I had driven 12 miles and gone to the University, I'm quite sure my wait time would have been much longer.

But where you go also depends upon what your symptoms are. I would have gone to the U if I had thought my need would have been for a Cardiac Cath.

The U is a major trauma center for this area. Over the weekend they got hit with 5 or 6 victims from an auto accident at the same time. I dare say the ER wait would have been lengthy for others on that afternoon.

I'm not making excuses for Kings County, but I do know that ERs are abused by many people. Even 30 years ago, when I was working in one, people would use it as a doctor's office instead of an ER. Bringing their kids in with colds and chicken pox. So the beds get filled with unnecessary patients and others suffer because of them.

Vette
10-17-2010, 09:27 PM
Yeah i remember this being on the news. =/ pretty disgusting. **** is wrong with people anymore. i just dont get it.

*LabLoverKEB*
10-17-2010, 11:46 PM
Wow, unbelievable. How terribly sad, and imagine all of the help that woman could have been given not only from the doctors/nurses, but from all the other people in the ER waiting room. :(

Vette, please watch the language.... remember this is a family board!

Vette
10-18-2010, 01:53 AM
^ :o sorries. didnt even know i had typed that. bad habit of mine.

moosmom
10-18-2010, 07:22 AM
I think the one problem in ERs these days is people who are sick don't know when to go to a walk-in clinic and when it is a true emergency. When the ER gets over-crowded, triage puts the less "needy" people on a gurney in the hallway.

I worked on an ambulance for over 20 years and was also a patient in the ER. I remember bringing a run into the ER and seeing the hallways lined with occupied gurneys. Mostly were ETOH (drunk). The more serious patients were already being seen.

I remember seeing something on tv about a paraplegic who was going through airport (I think) security. Security didn't believe she was paralyzed and dumped her out of her chair to see if she'd react. She couldn't!!! It was all caught on camera!!

Some people just suck.