PDA

View Full Version : Do women clean better than men?

luckies4me
10-11-2010, 05:43 PM
My friend and I are having a little disagreement on whether or not women clean better than men. My vote? I vote for women! Granted, I'll seen a lot of clean freak men, but when it comes to the overall community who is cleaner? We're not counting people with mental issues here either. Just normal, healthy people. K? ;)

Examples are doing the dishes (by hand, not using a dishwasher), doing laundry, folding laundry, putting laundry away, vacuuming, mopping, scrubbing the bathtub and tile etc. You know, every day cleaning actitivites. I asked everyone at work and every single one voted for women. :p

I'd like to know what state you're from too. Maybe men are cleaner in different parts of the world?

luckies4me
10-11-2010, 05:46 PM
My bf does the dishes and I think every time he does I find at least one cup with gunk still on it. :rolleyes: Bless his little heart for trying though! :love:

Taz_Zoee
10-11-2010, 06:14 PM
It was not hard for me to vote because the things you listed my boyfriend doesn't do. He is good at cleaning the kitchen counters though. That's his job when we are getting ready for a party. But it's also because he is the brainiac who decided to put floor tiles on the counter. So he gets to scrub them. :)

When he does dishes I always find crud on them. I show him and ask him if it looks clean. Never really get an answer on that one. :rolleyes:

I guess he does fine on the vacuuming (although he doesn't do it often). Although he does keep the house tidy. Our house is not cluttered. Dusty, yes. But not cluttered (just don't look in the office or our bedroom:o)

I do not allow him to do laundry. He did it before I moved in, but since then....NOPE! My parents owned a dry cleaners all of my life (up until 2007) so I want to be in control of my own clothes. Funny thing is I didn't learn how to do laundry until I was probably 22 or so.

neko1
10-11-2010, 06:20 PM
Women!

The BF tries, but when he's cleaning, he doesn't seem to get in the corners like I do. I also think nothing of getting out the vacuum or wiping down the counters- if I didn't tell him things need to get done, I think he'd live in filth!:eek:

I do the laundry because I want my clothes to come out of the dryer the same size that they went into the dryer!

His specialty is cooking- he makes fantastic meals and I can barely boil water!!

So the trade off works well for us!

Pembroke_Corgi
10-11-2010, 06:57 PM
I voted women for a few reasons. After college I worked as a janitor in a big hospital, and most of the men who also had that job totally slacked off or got the "easy" jobs. :rolleyes:

The other reason is because I clean better than my husband. To be fair, he cleans just as much if not more than I do, but I feel like I do a better job, especially at organizing!! He just does not get organizing. But when he's cleaning, I just let him go at it; I'm not going to a mess with a good thing when he does his fair share, even if I notice things I would have done better.

kuhio98
10-11-2010, 07:16 PM
Ladies ~ Hope you realize that some guys deliberately do a crappy job so that you'll give up and do it yourself. :rolleyes:

CountryWolf07
10-11-2010, 07:50 PM
My boyfriend must be the ONLY one so far in this. LOL.. he cleans a lot, and likes to keep things tidy, especially in the kitchen. He always helps me clean, as well, so it's 50/50!

Marigold2
10-11-2010, 08:46 PM
I think women for the most part because we are taught it is women's work. It is up to mom's of the world to show their sons that housework, yardwork, childcare, cooking, baking, wash are to be 50/50 and to show them how so they can do it for themselves if they are single and help out their mate when not.

wombat2u2004
10-11-2010, 08:52 PM
This thread is rigged !!!!
10 answers
9 women 1 man
Votes = 9-1 :D

Karen
10-11-2010, 08:53 PM
I was taught it was equally mens' and womens' work. Emphatically so.

In our house, though, Paul does most of the cleaning, as I am allergic to most cleaning products because of the artificial scents companies put in them. I am even allergic to the smell of ammonia itself - I avoid shopping stores when they are cleaning the floors for just that reason. I use white vinegar for cleaning whenever I can. I am also horribly allergic to dust, so Paul does all the vacuuming, by order of my doctor. Paul was raised by his mother who was a Chemistry major and a Medical Technologist, so he has exacting standards for cleanliness.

Catlady711
10-11-2010, 09:47 PM
Ladies ~ Hope you realize that some guys deliberately do a crappy job so that you'll give up and do it yourself. :rolleyes:

Yup, my hubby has that perfected. He's not allowed to clean the bathroom anymore after I found out he was using a single paper towel and a sponge to clean the whole thing. He's not allowed to do laundry for a myraid of reasons. However despite the fact he's lousy at doing dishes I make him do them because he dirties more dishes in a day than I do in a week.

krazyaboutkatz
10-11-2010, 11:46 PM
I would say in general women are much cleaner and do a better job at cleaning. Not all women are clean though. I've had my share of female roommates who never cleaned their bathroom or room and they would leave food on the dishes or dirty dishes in the sink. Just because they say they're neat and clean doesn't mean it's true either. I'm so glad that I now live alone so if I make a mess it's my mess.:)

luckies4me
10-12-2010, 01:34 AM

So true!!! :rolleyes:

Miss Z
10-12-2010, 03:41 AM
There's no guys in my student flat, and we have a very clean kitchen. My friend in the flat above us, however, often finds the remainders of food from days ago in her kitchen, courtesy of her male neighbours! :p

I have met some men who are very good at cleaning up after themselves, but admittedly, women generally outnumber them.

Medusa
10-12-2010, 06:33 AM
I honestly don't know. I do know one man who puts me to shame when it comes to cleaning, well, two actually; my son and one of the men in the African band that I managed. They both detail the house when cleaning.

I can say this, though: when I was cleaning houses for a living, men's bathrooms were always cleaner than women's. Always. I was shocked at the condition of women's bathrooms but the men seemed to really try to keep the bathrooms as clean as possible.

moosmom
10-12-2010, 08:28 AM
Oxymoron: Men & Clean in the same sentence.

I had a roommate a while back. When I first moved in, I offered to clean the entire apartment that he had NEVER cleaned. Never wiped up a spill, moldy food in the fridge. Sickening. Had nightmares for years.

You should revise your poll to read "Men don't clean":p

davidpizzica
10-12-2010, 10:54 AM
well, I used to be the typical "not-so-neat bachelor" when I was trying to maintain the house, but for some strange reason when I came to Concordia, I became Mr. neatness! I guess my roommate was pretty neat and it rubbed off on me, and a part of it is that there are aides to help us to like make beds and the like. However these girls do a lot of work by doing this and by the time they get to our room they're tired and I like to help the girls out since me and my roomie are still capable of straightening in our room.

moosmom
10-12-2010, 11:34 AM
No WONDER the girls from Concordia love you so much!

Karen
10-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Oxymoron: Men & Clean in the same sentence.

I had a roommate a while back. When I first moved in, I offered to clean the entire apartment that he had NEVER cleaned. Never wiped up a spill, moldy food in the fridge. Sickening. Had nightmares for years.

You should revise your poll to read "Men don't clean":p

You've met Paul, but you have not seen him clean. He does a fabulous job, and trust me, is as male as they get!

luckies4me
10-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Alex loves cleaning. He can clean the whole house in an hour if you let him, however, it wil never be as clean as I could get it. Course, it woud take me three hours to get where he got in one.

Asiel
10-12-2010, 12:29 PM
I was raised that we all had our share of household chores to do. I also watched my dad clean as often as my mom did as she was often in hospital so he took over the laundry, meals and cleaning. And he was the one to open and clean the cottage before summer holidays. Hubby on the other hand was raised that only women cleaned..it took a few lessons but he can clean as well or better than I can now. My sons were raised to do their fair share of the cleaning and my oldest had to teach his wife how to vacuum as in their household the mom did everything. I have to say with both parents working nowadays it's half and half and it seems to work out great. Men can lift the heavy furniture to clean under a lot better than we can and in half the time.

Taz_Zoee
10-12-2010, 01:08 PM
After reading through this thread again, I had to come back and say that WHEN Bruce cleans he does a great job! He is very thorough, more so than I am to be honest. He is like this with everything. When he does the yard, he does it ALL, trims the bushes, pulls weeds. And it seems to snowball. He could go out to do one thing and he's out there all day long!
So, the few times he has cleaned the house he did a great job. But the point is.........he doesn't do it. It's my "job". :rolleyes: I wish he was as good at cleaning the dishes though. It's so disgusting to pick up a dish sitting on the dish rack and see food particals still on it. :mad:

RICHARD
10-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Men's votes count as triple.:D

davidpizzica
10-12-2010, 03:07 PM
Men's votes count as triple.:D

Right on, RICHARD!!

moosmom
10-12-2010, 03:08 PM
RICHARD,

According to WHOSE rules you're talking about?

Oh Davidp,

SHUT UP!!!;)

kuhio98
10-12-2010, 03:56 PM
...I can say this, though: when I was cleaning houses for a living, men's bathrooms were always cleaner than women's. Always. I was shocked at the condition of women's bathrooms but the men seemed to really try to keep the bathrooms as clean as possible.

Really? I find that very interesting. Bobcat was raised by a single mother with 4 boys. She made sure those boys knew how to clean and cook and sew (they even made quilts together):eek: But, that boy won't touch the bathroom. It's always a disaster when I get home from Prudhoe. The rest of the house is clean. But, the bathroom? shudder

Bonny
10-13-2010, 06:40 AM
I know there are SOME men that make messes & I have to pick up after them.:confused: Maybe that is a womens job? :eek: If so I sure don't always like it.:mad: But on the other hand can't live without him. :D

sparks19
10-13-2010, 11:15 AM
I voted men just because Brian is MUCH MUCH better about keeping things clean. I am terrible for it.

He definitely does a better job than I do

DJFyrewolf36
10-13-2010, 11:16 PM
Johns mom worked as a professional housekeeper and it rubbed off on him. He does the majority of the cleaning and gets after me for half-arseing my chores lol. :D He is waaaaay better at cleaning than I am!!

I have to agree with you Medusa. When I worked janitorial for a large event center I noticed that the mens bathrooms tended to be cleaner than the womens bathrooms. Some of the stuff I saw in the ladies room after a concert made me cringe.

finn's mom
10-14-2010, 12:45 AM
I don't think it's 50/50, and I've known way messier women than men...but, i don't think one gender is better at housework than another. I think it just has to do with how much practice you have doing it. And, I'd agree that women have traditionally had more practice at it. So...I didn't vote! ;)

RICHARD
10-14-2010, 07:06 AM
Men's bathrooms?

A woman I worked with told us that her sons left palm prints above the toilet, on the wall.

I laughed and explained it to her.

Men's b-rooms are not all that.

moosmom
10-14-2010, 07:53 AM
Speaking of men's bathrooms...when I worked in retail, we were assigned to clean the bathrooms. The one question I always get is..."Which restroom is cleaner? Mens or womens???

My vote is neither, really. I've seen both. While men STILL haven't mastered the art of AIM, women are far more sloppier than men in that department. The woman's bathroom at the end of the night has paper towels strewn everywhere, liquid soap all over the sink, they don't flush properly (leaving solid waste to sit) and rather than put the toilet paper in the toilet, will leave it on the floor for us to pick up!! The men's room is SO much neater!! THAT alone has me baffled!!

I'm SO glad I don't have to do that anymore.

davidpizzica
10-14-2010, 08:06 AM
Speaking of men's bathrooms...when I worked in retail, we were assigned to clean the bathrooms. The one question I always get is..."Which restroom is cleaner? Mens or womens???

My vote is neither, really. I've seen both. While men STILL haven't mastered the art of AIM, women are far more sloppier than men in that department. The woman's bathroom at the end of the night has paper towels strewn everywhere, liquid soap all over the sink, they don't flush properly (leaving solid waste to sit) and rather than put the toilet paper in the toilet, will leave it on the floor for us to pick up!! The men's room is SO much neater!! THAT alone has me baffled!!

Hey, sweetheart! One of these days you should OUR bathroom! It's always neat for two guys.

Bonny
10-14-2010, 05:37 PM

I noticed one thing where I work. I fill the soap containers. The mens soap container is hardly used. I don't think the guys are always washing their hands like their moms told them to do when growing up?

cassiesmom
10-14-2010, 06:04 PM
We were just talking about this at work yesterday. I have a co-worker whose husband was in the U.S. Army ... she admits that her husband is a better housekeeper. Beyond that I can't say.

Elyse in Illinois

wombat2u2004
10-14-2010, 08:08 PM
I noticed one thing where I work. I fill the soap containers. The mens soap container is hardly used. I don't think the guys are always washing their hands like their moms told them to do when growing up?

YES WE DO !!!!! I wash my hands at LEAST once a week.

krazyaboutkatz
10-15-2010, 01:21 AM
My co-worker does the janitorial at night where I work and she said that the mens bathroom is a pig stye compared to the womens. The men throw things on the floor. They even have to have a urinal mat on the floor because some one can't aim right.

wombat2u2004
10-15-2010, 01:44 AM
Hmmmmm.....well I'll let you all ponder over a builders point of view.
I have probably been involved in some 15-20 major school renovations in my time, and on each of those sites we had to renovate the toilet blocks, both male and female. My position on those sites was either General foreman or Supervisor, and I was called on regularly to inspect works in those toilet blocks. The filth on the floor, in the toilet suites and on the basins (no mention here of grafitti) in the girls toilet area far outweighed the mess in the boys. In fact, it was a real eye opener for me the first time around, because I always thought girls were more hygeine conscious than boys.
But wasn't I in for a shock !!!! I soon got used to the complaints from plumbers etc etc, who had to pry all kinds of things out of the girls toilets, panties etc etc....you name it....it was in the girls toilet area.

K9karen
10-15-2010, 10:54 PM
John claims that, due to my bad eyesight, that he hand washes dishes better, But, that's on his HoneyDo list anyway, since I'm the cook (he's good at that too) and use way too many pots and pans, but I love it and he doesn't complain. He makes an awesome bed. Not a wrinkle in sight, thanks, I think, to having been in the Navy and his perfectionism. He can have that job anytime. I'm very grateful. In fact, I find him cleaning the bathroom sink and tub after every use. He can be a lazy slug if he doesn't want to do anything, but, after typing this, Man! I AM lucky!!!!! (But I do the clothes washing better I think, but his job is to fold the fitted sheets!!!)