PDA

View Full Version : A question about cell phones and plans

Cataholic
10-11-2010, 05:18 PM
I have a cell phone, and my service provider is Verizon. I really like them. Good coverage, customer service, etc. I don't like being locked into a 2 year contract. At all. My plan is up, I get frequent calls about a 'free' upgrade. I just don't want to re-up. I want to down-size my technology. But, I want to get emails on my phone, still, and need a calendar that synchs with Outlook.

Is it possible to buy a phone elsewhere and take it to Verizon and get it activated? And, is it possible to still receive emails on your phone, but not have internet service? I have a BB now (and hate it). Verizon told me that if you have a BB, you *must* have internet access. It is part of the package deal between Verizon and BB.

So, again, my questions are:

1. Can you buy a phone from anywhere and take it in to Verizon and have it activated (without having a 2 year contract)?

2. Can you have a phone with email capabilities and NO internet access?

3. Does anyone have a non BB phone with calendaring and email only that they suggest?

TIA!

Pembroke_Corgi
10-11-2010, 06:50 PM
I'm not an expert but I think I can answer most of your questions...

1. Can you buy a phone from anywhere and take it in to Verizon and have it activated (without having a 2 year contract)?

If you bought a phone that wasn't from Verizon, it would have to be "unlocked." This means you can put your sim card into that phone and use it with Verizon service. Can't you stay with Verizon without a contract if you keep your old phone, though? Or you could buy a phone at full price and stay without a contract? I have tmobile, and one the contract is over it is just month-to-month unless you sign another contract.

2. Can you have a phone with email capabilities and NO internet access?

I think that you need the internet service with the phone company unless your phone has wifi capability (I think the iphone has it). However, in order to get email, you would have to be around wireless internet to get it- it wouldn't just work from anywhere.

3. Does anyone have a non BB phone with calendaring and email only that they suggest?

Sorry, no!

Catlady711
10-11-2010, 09:53 PM
My cousin and her bf recently got new phones from Verizon.

They had looked online and saw that every phone was a fancy does everything type and required a media package. However when they went to the Verizon store they were able to get a regular flip phone for her without a media package, although her bf opted for the does-everything-sign-me-up-for-media phone/package.

You might try checking with the Verizon store in your area as apparently what's online isn't all they have. None of my last 3 phone packages were listed online and I got them all at the Verizon store.

kitten645
10-11-2010, 11:20 PM
I'd suggest the same...go to a store and talk to a person. As high tech as all this stuff is, doing it online doesn't get you what you need. I'm almost certain you can't get emails without an internet connection. I'm shopping myself to update my stupidphone to a smartish one. I just use the phone as a phone but would love some internet ability. I just don't need MP3 players and cameras etc.
C