PDA

View Full Version : A warning about Metacam for cats

Medusa
10-04-2010, 05:32 PM
I seem to recall another thread about this subject but in case others missed it, I thought I'd post this.

Dr. Lee called me this afternoon to tell me that there is now a warning on the Metacam package against dispensing it to cats, that it has not been approved for cats. It's said to cause kidney failure. So, as a good vet, he's calling all his clients who are dispensing it to their cats, I being one of them. Boo has been on Metacam for approximately a year now, a couple of drops twice a week. He has arthritis and it does seem to help him w/the pain, especially b/c I give it to him at night before bed so that he sleeps better. Dr. Lee said that the decision is mine to make but that he feels a moral and legal obligation to call his clients and apprise them of the news.

Boo was just in to see Dr. Lee about a month ago and I came home w/another bottle of Metacam. Seeing that he's been on it this long, I'm going to continue giving it to him until this supply runs out. After that, I honestly do not know. Dr. Lee gave me alternatives: chondroitin glucosamine which helps w/inflammation but takes at least 60 days before it begins to take effect; steroids which could cause him to gain weight and possibly cause heart problems, although he said that he's personally never seen that happen; Buprinex which helps w/pain but does nothing for inflammation.

Of course, I want to do what's best for Boo, to make his remaining time w/me as comfortable as possible but I also don't want to shorten his life by causing him more problems due to the meds he's taking. He's a senior now, 19 years old, and hyperthyroid for which he's also taking methamizole.

Anyhow, I thought that I would post this so that you all can decide for yourselves what you will do if any of your precious feline furkids are currently on Metacam. I'd also like to hear your feedback, if you have any.

Laura's Babies
10-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Thanks. Once they warned me about it here on PT, I didn't give it to Amy.

carole
10-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Yes my vet had mentioned this to me, i think you are doing the right thing Mary for Boo, we can only do what we think is for the best, here's hoping Boo can continue to live pain free and happy with you .:love:

Catlady711
10-05-2010, 12:56 AM
The only Metacam that was approved for cats a few years ago, is the injectable form for a one time use only. Any use of the drops has always been 'off label' use and comes with risks in cats.

krazyaboutkatz
10-05-2010, 01:05 AM
Yes, I've heard it's not good to use it except for a short period of time in cats. It seems that most pain meds just aren't good for cats.:(

moosmom
10-05-2010, 06:03 AM
My friend's cat died from Metacam.

columbine
10-05-2010, 08:14 AM
Dr. Lee gave me alternatives: chondroitin glucosamine which helps w/inflammation but takes at least 60 days before it begins to take effect;

That's an easy one to get and to administer, anyway. You can mail-order it. I get it from healthypets.com under the brand name Cosequin for Cats, and put it in Smudge's canned food. He actually started getting it for urinary problems, which he doesn't have any more, but as he's creeping up (silently, on his fluffy toehawks) on his 15th birthday, I still give it to him just as a preventative and to keep his joints comfortable. As far as I know there are no side effects. I take it too (the human version!)

Love, Columbine

Medusa
10-05-2010, 08:25 AM
That's an easy one to get and to administer, anyway. You can mail-order it. I get it from healthypets.com under the brand name Cosequin for Cats, and put it in Smudge's canned food. He actually started getting it for urinary problems, which he doesn't have any more, but as he's creeping up (silently, on his fluffy toehawks) on his 15th birthday, I still give it to him just as a preventative and to keep his joints comfortable. As far as I know there are no side effects. I take it too (the human version!)

Love, Columbine

Yep, I take it, too. I just don't like the thought of Boo going for 60 days w/pain while we wait for it to take effect but I may not have much choice.

smokey the elder
10-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Since he's 19, I think the fact that it helps his pain may outweigh the kidney troubles.

It is a bear to develop meds specifically for cats. Because of the way their kidneys concentrate urine so much, stuff can build up very easily. That's why a lot of dog meds are used (after adjusting the dose for body weight) for cats, but for a short time.

Good luck with the kitties.

luckies4me
10-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Working at a vet's office I know all about Metacam. Although there are risks, you need to outweigh the risks versus benefits. This new label is nothing new as far as information goes. It is just stating the obvious. It has always been off label use and has always been a little risky for cats. However, if your cat has been on it this whole time and you have seen no side effects it may suit him better for you to continue using it. Cosequin works very well but takes awhile to kick in. If prednisone is the steroid he is referring to there are a lot of side effects to this steroid, including effects on appetite, water weight gain, an increase of urination and urinary incontinence etc. If all you are worried about is pain perhaps you can ask your vet to prescribe you some liquid ketoprofen?

luckies4me
10-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Or perhaps ask if you can start cosequin while he is still on the meds and you are waiting for the cosequin to kick in, or you can try a combo of cosequin and keto? Then once the pills start working you can wean him off the metacam.

Medusa
10-06-2010, 02:41 PM
If all you are worried about is pain perhaps you can ask your vet to prescribe you some liquid ketoprofen?

Thanx for this. I will definitely talk to my vet about it. :)

Or perhaps ask if you can start cosequin while he is still on the meds and you are waiting for the cosequin to kick in, or you can try a combo or cosequin and keto? Then once the pills start working you can wean him off the metacam.

This is what I thought, too. Boo has been on Metacam for about a year now and I've not seen any bad side effects in him. He's hyperthyroid but that started before Metacam, not after. Thank you again. :)

luckies4me
10-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Welcome. :) Let me know what the doc says. I'm not sure how safe keto is for elderly cats but it's worth a shot asking.

Catlady711
10-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Might want to ask the vet about Tramadol.

That's what I had Dusty on the last couple month of her life when the Metacam quit working. It's not approved for use in cats either, but with 1/8 of a tablet once a day or every other day as needed, it certainly helped Dusty's arthritis pain. Tramadol has it's side effects too, but in Dusty's case it was more like kitty hospice care pain relief anyway. Higher doses made her drowsy and a bit 'high' but the 1/8 tablet dose seemed to work for her, she was 11 lbs as I recall.