PDA

View Full Version : APB- Minnie Broadcast!!!

Cataholic
10-26-2002, 04:08 PM
I am probably getting waaaaayyyyy ahead of myself here, folks, but for the SECOND TIME Minnie has ventured up from the basement. This time, she is hiding under my bed, on a 'cat sack'. Last time, she was in my closet. I have gotten into the habit of leaving the basement door way open- in order for her to experience the sounds and smells more...I am sooo excited! But, am trying to act really cool, so as not to scare her. Thanks for listening, and keep those positive thought coming to MINNIE!!!:D

lynnestankard
10-26-2002, 04:11 PM
WAY TO GO MINNIE!!!!!!

Love Lynne xxx

tatsxxx11
10-26-2002, 04:37 PM
Good Job Minnie!!!!!!!!!:D

Logan
10-26-2002, 04:53 PM
I'm HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY.........but I'll keep it to a whisper until Minnie is completely relaxed, I promise!!!!

AmberLee
10-26-2002, 09:22 PM
Three tiny cheers for Minnie. Hip, hip hurrah. Hip, hip hurrah. Hip, hip hurrah!

RockyRoad
10-26-2002, 11:00 PM
Good going Minnie!!!

The Cat Factory
10-26-2002, 11:45 PM
:) :D ;) Yippee!!

jenluckenbach
10-27-2002, 06:15 AM
GO MINNIE, GO MINNIE, GO MINNIE

jenluckenbach
10-27-2002, 06:21 AM
That Minnie will be pesting your butt off before you know it! Trust me, she's the mirror image of Fern. We went through all the same stuff. Fern was a tough cookie to crack, but in her own little way, she is very demanding now. (It's been 5 1/2 years). It took her 4 years alone to just jump on a chair with me. Now she meows (I should say squeaks) very loudly, at me while on her perch atop of the refridgerator, for her daily pets. And believe me, she gets whatever she asks for. Can you pet Minnie? or does she run?

Cataholic
10-27-2002, 06:50 AM
I can pet Minnie...as long as I don't mind the flinching :( She doesn't run, cause she doesn't move. She is a perpetual catloaf, under the workbench- which I have converted into a soft place for her. I never see her without a wall as a backdrop. I can pick her up, though she cringes...and put her in my lap, with two hands holding her. She is just now not ALWAYS burying her head..she will rotate it somewhat. I think she is going to be very Fern like....;)

Lillycat
10-27-2002, 06:55 AM
you told me about this......but it even "sounds" better in print!!! lets hope it is out of the basement today......out into the "world"...(of the house of course) tomorrow!!!!! lots of love and faith in minnie!!!!! from her grandma:)

jenluckenbach
10-27-2002, 08:33 AM
OMG! Fern to a "T". I could pet her, but she'd flinch, still does even now when she asks for pets. When you hold her she curls in a ball. Exactly the same, so with that. I'd say you are well on your way to being friends. She is never out of the catloaf position, proven by 100% of the pictures of her are all in the same posture. The one trick I found was the more I acted non-chalant the more she felt the need to explore. So a mixture of that and gentle attention should bring her around. Can't wait to hear her next step.

Cataholic
10-27-2002, 05:54 PM
Strange..but, she is still up here! She went back down last night at some point, but she is up again under the bed. I can't figure out why? But I am glad..I peek in on her from time to time - maybe every other hour, and I don't look her in the eye, and don't stay there for more than 5 seconds. I am so glad...thanks for the well wishes! And Jen, I hope she is just like Fern, cause that gives me all sorts of hope...:)

auggie
10-27-2002, 08:52 PM
Minnie reminds me on my black cat Schatzie. Have you tried luring her out of her hiding places with a toy on a stick. That is how I finally gained Schatzie's trust. The play drive was stronger than the need to hide after a while. She still flinches when I bend down to pet her and only comes to me when I'm in a position where I can't pick her up, like when I'm lying on the living room floor.But when she does, she can't get enough loving.
Good luck with Minnie!

krazyaboutkatz
10-27-2002, 10:22 PM
Cataholic, I just want to wish you luck with Minnie. I'm sure with a little more time she'll become a very friendly cat. :)

Cataholic
10-28-2002, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by auggie
Minnie reminds me on my black cat Schatzie. Have you tried luring her out of her hiding places with a toy on a stick. That is how I finally gained Schatzie's trust. The play drive was stronger than the need to hide after a while. She still flinches when I bend down to pet her and only comes to me when I'm in a position where I can't pick her up, like when I'm lying on the living room floor.But when she does, she can't get enough loving.
Good luck with Minnie!

Auggie- I should try the toy ploy again. The last time I tried it, she was just too scared. I can't even get her to eat fresh salmon. I will investigate the toy ploy again tonight...

Everyone- thanks for your well wishes! I won't ever give up with Minnie :)

catland
10-28-2002, 01:49 PM
Wow - this is great news. Sounds like Minnie is making a lot of progress - can't wait for the day when we can see a pic of her.

Zippo_Punk_Cat
10-28-2002, 05:48 PM
^^ YAY!
Im sure it will all work out. My cat was like that when I first got her but now she wants LOTS of attention!

jenluckenbach
10-28-2002, 06:31 PM
Be careful of the toy ploy. Biddy, who was a stray right off the street, was actually AFRAID of toys. He did not understand the concept of play, at first, and thought it was an attack. He found out that he liked it at a later time. (But he was not shy in the least)

Cataholic
10-29-2002, 08:17 AM
Is it possible that Minnie hasn't moved, eaten, eliminated in two whole days? She is STILL under the bed....and I don't know if I should pick her up and take her back into the basement to eat and use the potty??? (Yes, she is alive, and doesn't appear to be in distress)

jenluckenbach
10-29-2002, 04:01 PM
Of course it is possible. You should try to make sure she eats something. The elimination will come naturaly then. Is there a litter box in the room she is in now? or would she need to go to the basement? If you closed her in the bedroom, with the others outside, for just a while, would she freak out? If not, then I'd give her all the necessities in there for maybe a day and see what she does. Kind of testing to see if she'd eat or drink ond use the box (measure her food and water so you know for sure) Of course you could just take her back to her room down stairs and see if she comes back up.
Let us know what you try

Cataholic
10-29-2002, 07:12 PM
I thought about moving the food/litter into my room. I don't think anyone would freak out, except for Tenny and Dakky and Tex whining to get into the room to sleep at night. But, that is only 50% of the herd. I MIGHT just take her downstairs again, if I can get to her. She sits at the far corner...but schooches over when I pop down for a look-see. So, let's see what tonight brings us....I haven't been home yet!

Cataholic
10-31-2002, 09:11 AM
Alright...last update ....Minnie seems to totally understand the concept of moving between the basement (where her food and litterbox is) and under my bed upstairs!!! She has gone back and forth many times now. No, I haven't ever seen it...:D

And, last night, for the first time since I got her in JULY, she played with a string. She didn't move from under the bed, but, she stretched out her little paws and tried to get it...what progress!!!! I finally saw what her paws looked like!!! I am going to take it slow still, but, I cannot believe it took over four months to get this far!!!!! Thanks for all your well wishes, prayers and concerns. I hope the next time I post about Minnie it it to tell you she is eating from the upstairs dishes, sitting with me, etc.!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-31-2002, 10:04 AM
I'm so happy for you and Minnie! She must be feeling more comfortable if she is starting to play. :) Hopefully once she is more out than just her paw, she will realize there's nothing to be afraid of and she will stay out. Good luck and please keep us posted. :)

jenluckenbach
10-31-2002, 12:57 PM
Well, sitting with you may be a little ambitious. Maybe just in the same room as you would be a good next step.. If she can transverse the distyance from point A to point B she'll come around. You may be surprized at what she does in between when you are not there to see.

Randi
10-31-2002, 01:29 PM
Congratulations Cataholic, you’re getting there!

Originally posted by Cataholic
She went back down last night at some point, but she is up again under the bed. I can't figure out why?

That’s because she’s learning to love you! :)

john

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-31-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Randi
Congratulations Cataholic, you’re getting there!
That’s because she’s learning to love you! :)
john

Ok, John, your cover has been blown and we know you're addicted like the rest of us now, so don't you think it's about time you got your own sign in name and stopped hi-jacking Randi's? ;)

Let me see.....Fister's Dad sounds good....or...Wildcat Tamer....or.... ;) :D

Randi
10-31-2002, 03:21 PM
Hah!
Yes T & P’s Mom, you’re probably right. But if I posted under my own name I don’t think I’d last a week without Randi to censor my posts! I’d have the big bunny rightfully stomping all over me in no time. You can see what’s happened on the “Dear Phred” thread already. Phred said it all:

quote:

"...I think that this will be our last recipe..."

Yeaaaaah... and it mite be da last post fur a lotta us, too!

We tinks we hearz da Hed Bunnie *stompin* dis way... !! :mad:

I’m quite sure that Phred knows what he’s talking about!

But I must admit that I do enjoy Pet Talk immensly, the problem is, that I unfortunately don’t have the time. :rolleyes:

john :)

Cataholic
11-01-2002, 10:51 AM
John,
What is kind of strange, is that I can usually tell- before I see the signature line- if it is you, as opposed to Randi...but, I agree with T&P- you should have your own sign in name. I like Mr. Fister...or Big Fister, or just plain Mister, mister!

thanks for the congrats with Minnie. I just want sooo much, sooo soon...like with everything else in life, right?

catland
11-01-2002, 03:24 PM
Well, I''m glad Minnie is coming out from under the bed. I was getting ready to recommend that you sprinkle some flour on the floor so that you could track foot-prints to see if she was moving at all.

It's so nice to hear how Minnie is oh-so slowly starting to warm up to you.

A little trick about string that my kitties taught me. They like it if I tie a couple of knots into the end of it. It seems to be a little more tactile for them and gives them something to focus on and grab on to.

Yea Minnie!!

NoahsMommy
11-01-2002, 04:00 PM
Oh sweet Minnie....won't you come out from under that bed? You have a really loving mommy who would love to play with you. :)

Cataholic, I missed the boat on Minnie...did you rescue her? What was her past like? I bet she'll come out eventually...that was a huge leap to be in your room from the basement...very good progress.

Cataholic
11-01-2002, 06:33 PM
Hi Noahsmommy- Minnie was rescued by a vet as part of a trap/nueter/release in a feral community. This was in April, I think. When they trapped her, they realized she had already been spayed, and didn't exhibit the necessary feral type behaviour. They thought she had been dumped (a curse upon their souls). So, in July, I adopted her. She hid in the basement until just recently...like two weeks ago, maybe three? Then, she moved into my bedroom....I think it was the cold weather..I dont care what made it happen, I am just thankful for the slow progress. Thanks for asking... :)

Vio&Juni
11-06-2002, 08:05 AM
I am so glad about Minnie. I followed her story and I was waiting for some good news.

Barbara
11-06-2002, 08:54 AM
Yeah yeah yeah Minnie..:D :) :D :) :D :)
Grisette, my first cat was also a rescued one. She came from a wild litter and spent weeks under the kitchen cupboard!! Of course she ended in being a friendly bed and sofa cat.

Cataholic
11-06-2002, 11:04 AM
Minnie is really a patience tester, isn't she? I 'snuck' some treat food into her this am, and closed the door to keep out the other PIGGOS :D I never know if she comes out from under there, since it must only be during the nighttime while I am snoring away (Hey, maybe she leaves then BECAUSE of my snoring)...and boy did she ever gobble it down.

She looks so less scared everytime I look under the bed and say, "Hi Min-min"...

Cataholic
11-08-2002, 05:24 PM
And, today, FOR THE FIRST TIME, Minnie ate the snacks while I was peering at her, from about 2 feet away. AND, she definetely leaned into my hand when I was giving her scritchies (I "thought" she did the other day, but wasn't postive). AND FINALLY- guess what??????? MINNIE DID ELEVATOR BUTT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just couldn't resist the touch.....:D

p.s. this is still all taking place under my bed...oh well...

catland
11-08-2002, 06:20 PM
It's so much fun to follow Minnie's progress from when you first wrote about her. Your patience is paying off.

jenluckenbach
11-08-2002, 06:30 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOO
I have goose bumps...........elevator butt.............that means she likes it...........:eek: :D :)

Vermontcat
11-08-2002, 09:36 PM
Cataholic, glad to hear you are making progress! Elevator butt already! Pretty soon she will be sleeping on your head, that is if one of your other cats doesn't already.:)

Vio&Juni
11-11-2002, 02:59 AM
It's so good to hear good news. It's funny, how you get involved and you can't wait to hear more and more good news :)

Miss Meow
11-11-2002, 03:43 PM
Hooray for the elevator butt! Cats never do the elevator butt when stressed, so it's a fantastic sign. Go Minnie!

krazyaboutkatz
11-11-2002, 11:04 PM
I'm so glad to hear that Minnie is becoming more trusting towards you. It may take a while but it's very rewarding in the end. Good luck. :D